Gaming Association
GitHub: Gerold55
In-game: Gerold55

by Gaming Association » Post

What would everyone like to see in 0.5.0?
Gaming Association

kaadmy
GitHub: kaadmy
IRC: KaadmY
In-game: KaadmY kaadmy NeD

Re: 0.5.0

by kaadmy » Post

Gaming Association wrote:What would everyone like to see in 0.5.0?
[*]Client-side scripting
[*]Allow mods to use custom shaders
[*]Less lag
[*]Better models and animations
[*]An immersive subgame(s) as part of default instead of minetest_game
[*]Better lighting, the current lighting is very dark.(I can change this easily for myself, but this should be default)
[*]Better formspecs
[*]More playful, less generic main menu
[*]In-game mod/subgame installer
Well, that's most of the major things i'd like to see in 0.5.0.
Most of the above things I could probably add myself, but would be better off being in the main branch.
Never paint white stripes on roads near Zebra crossings.

Pixture

AccidentallyRhine

by AccidentallyRhine » Post

No hold backs by trying to appeal to everyone. People will complain no matter what the developers decide to add so they should just add features that will objectively make Minetest better and ignore all the subsequent whining.

Exilyth

by Exilyth » Post

let's see - I wish for minetest 0.5.0. to contain:

- cpp mobs: complete with steering behaviours, navigation helper functions and scriptable behaviour. Disabled by default, would come with a mod containing hostile and friendly mobs demonstrating complex behaviours (tameable animals which provide resources, neutral npcs like a trader selling and buying stuff, a mailman which runs through town and collects mail from mailboxes, guards, maybe quest givers). *dreams*

- factions: behaviour of mobs should depend on faction relation, e.g. if factions "players" and "monsters" are enemies, mobs from the "monsters" faction should attack players. Mobs from the "predator" faction (e.g. wolfes) could attack mobs from the "prey" faction (e.g. rabbits). Taming an animal could be as simple as removing it from faction "animals_wild" and adding it to faction "animals_tame". Would require a (possibly sparse) matrix of faction relations with each value in (nil, friendly, neutral, hostile) and a function check_faction_relation(thing_A, thing_B). The implementation of the action (e.g. attack, flee, wander,...) would reside inside the mob behaviour.

- triggers: Via lua, register a bounding box and three functions (on_enter, on_inside, on_leave). When a player enters, leaves or is inside the zone defined by the bounding box, the corresponding function is called. Could be used to e.g. execute the initial spawn of loot and mobs in dungeons when the player is near (could save some abms).

- customisable day/night rythm: Set a time for sunset and sunrise as a config option or via lua. Might even support seasons (e.g. after the specified amount of days, use the next entry from the season table for determining sunset and sunrise. Also, functions to set and get season name and current season).

- statistics: blocks digged, blocks placed, steps walked and so on. And the ability to react via lua script, e.g. register a callback to give the player a wooden sword when they craft their second smelter ;)

- Randomize appearance of the default tree, e.g. instances could differ in trunk lenth by one or two nodes or have a larger/smaller crown. Anything to break up the monotony of three or more default trees growing side by side would help. Maybe giving half the trees a different shade/color would be enough *shrugs*

- Fix dungeons spawning in the middle of the air

- C++14 codebase xD (yes, I know, there isn't even any consensus on changing to c++11 yet)

- more stability and optimisation is always good

benrob0329
GitHub: Benrob0329
IRC: benrob0329
In-game: benrob03

by benrob0329 » Post

I want the Github roadmap to be done, and a C++mobs API. I would also like it if Minetest Game's fate was set in stone.

Don
GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Post

I would like to see a few more items added. Maybe a couple ores, marble and granite.
It would make it easier to come up with new crafts for mods.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

kaadmy

by kaadmy » Post

Don wrote:I would like to see a few more items added. Maybe a couple ores, marble and granite.
It would make it easier to come up with new crafts for mods.
That wouldn't be part of MT 0.5.0, that should be part of minetest_game, or the default subgame packaged with Minetest 0.5.0(And hopefully that subgame isn't minetest_game)

Pixture

firefox
In-game: Red_Fox

by firefox » Post

better lighting

stacked realms, so that you can have multiple worlds above each other and connect them with portals.
a new lighting system would be needed so that the worlds don't throw shadows on each other.
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

ArguablySane

by ArguablySane » Post

firefox wrote:better lighting

stacked realms, so that you can have multiple worlds above each other and connect them with portals.
a new lighting system would be needed so that the worlds don't throw shadows on each other.
That's the horrible hack which is currently used to provide different realms. It's a horrible hack, and should be replaced by a proper system which doesn't reduce the available world height.
The above post and any ideas expressed therein are released to the public domain under a Creative Commons CC0 license.

Fixer
IRC: Fixer
In-game: Fixer

by Fixer » Post

moved my post to similar topic here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9709&p=192641#p192641

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Exilyth wrote: - cpp mobs: complete with steering behaviours, navigation helper functions and scriptable behaviour. Disabled by default, would come with a mod containing hostile and friendly mobs demonstrating complex behaviours (tameable animals which provide resources, neutral npcs like a trader selling and buying stuff, a mailman which runs through town and collects mail from mailboxes, guards, maybe quest givers). *dreams*
To a degree that works with existing mob mods. It's just that they get a bit...buggy...once the server hasn't time to update their positions. Breeding can be done quite well on the lua side and is implemented at least in mobs_redo and mobf (in diffrent ways; I personally prefer the mobf way of putting feeding places out there and waiting for the mobs to eat and reproduce instead of having child-fitting hearts fly around). Traders can be found in my mobf_trader mod. A mailman might be possible as well (provided the environment is friendly to him). Guards exist at least in mobf. Quest givers are a bit rare.
Exilyth wrote: - factions: behaviour of mobs should depend on faction relation, e.g. if factions "players" and "monsters" are enemies, mobs from the "monsters" faction should attack players. Mobs from the "predator" faction (e.g. wolfes) could attack mobs from the "prey" faction (e.g. rabbits).
That exists in both mobf and some forks of simple mobs (mobs_redo seems to have it). There are entire servers where mobs can be watched attacking other hostile mobs.
Exilyth wrote: - triggers: Via lua, register a bounding box and three functions (on_enter, on_inside, on_leave). When a player enters, leaves or is inside the zone defined by the bounding box, the corresponding function is called. Could be used to e.g. execute the initial spawn of loot and mobs in dungeons when the player is near (could save some abms).
A simple abm might be good enough for that in most cases. Mesecons has a player detector, and basic_machines even comes with a more general detector.
Exilyth wrote: - customisable day/night rythm: Set a time for sunset and sunrise as a config option or via lua. Might even support seasons (e.g. after the specified amount of days, use the next entry from the season table for determining sunset and sunrise. Also, functions to set and get season name and current season).
Changing day/night ratio may not give so much gain. If you got players who want to build and equip them with the right priv, you'll have more or less permanent day anyway :-) Daylength could be changed by a mod if needed. Seasons are great...but also laggy due to quite a lot of changes done to the map. There used to be that nice 4seasons mod around that looked just great.
Exilyth wrote: - statistics: blocks digged, blocks placed, steps walked and so on. And the ability to react via lua script, e.g. register a callback to give the player a wooden sword when they craft their second smelter ;)
Search for achievements and player statistics. I've seen such mods. Would be great if they'd be more common on servers.
Exilyth wrote: - Randomize appearance of the default tree, e.g. instances could differ in trunk lenth by one or two nodes or have a larger/smaller crown. Anything to break up the monotony of three or more default trees growing side by side would help. Maybe giving half the trees a different shade/color would be enough *shrugs*
I'm working on a trees_lib. There are some mods out there which add all kinds of diffrent trees. In some cases, new textures for the bark and perhaps the leaves may help already. Again, you may love the 4seasons mod as that also changes the leaves according to the season.
A list of my mods can be found here.

AgentNagel42
In-game: AgentNagel42

by AgentNagel42 » Post

-custom shaders ability
-less intensive on CPU and more dependent on RAM
-include an official Community made subgame with more depth than minetest_game
-customizable menu, ability to have a looping audio file, and ability to add an .mp4 that can play behind the menu as a third option along with the clouds and dirt tiling.
-android management tool allowing for subgame installation, code editor and mod install from .Zip or Tar.Gz etc.
-Official Mobs Script!

these are my picks
My Youtube Channel "NoobsPlayGames": https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaqGwT ... j_qpqNTyOQ

kaadmy

by kaadmy » Post

AgentNagel42 wrote:-custom shaders ability
-include an official Community made subgame with more depth than minetest_game
My subgame fits that pretty well already ;)
AgentNagel42 wrote:-customizable menu, ability to have a looping audio file, and ability to add an .mp4 that can play behind the menu as a third option along with the clouds and dirt tiling.
I actually think MT already supports that, but not per subgame.

Pixture

blockybison

by blockybison » Post

I know this is far, far beyond the horizon, but just for fun: what about 1.0? What kind of features and/or optimizations do you think Minetest needs before it's considered a complete piece of software ready for prime time? Any core contributor would like to play along and give their 2 cents just for the hell of it?

AccidentallyRhine

by AccidentallyRhine » Post

One of the biggest things that needs to be fixed first is the inventory lag. Minetest cannot be considered "ready to ship" until that gets fixed, at minimum.

AgentNagel42
In-game: AgentNagel42

by AgentNagel42 » Post

Yes inventory lag is a large problem for me too, also here are some other things I came up with

-Menu option to change window size/resolution
-built in craftguide
-Entity Lighting (give us fireflies! :P)
-Official Portal/Dimension API
-Ability to have an option in Minetest.conf to disable fly/noclip in survival even if privilages exist
-ability to change skin in main menu that will work over all systems (even servers)
My Youtube Channel "NoobsPlayGames": https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaqGwT ... j_qpqNTyOQ

OmniStudent

by OmniStudent » Post

I haven't contributed much work myself so far, so I'm not going to tell other people what to work on,
but doesn't an increase in a "higher hiearchy" number (the 5) normally entail proofing and optimization rather than new features?

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

OmniStudent wrote:I haven't contributed much work myself so far, so I'm not going to tell other people what to work on,
but doesn't an increase in a "higher hiearchy" number (the 5) normally entail proofing and optimization rather than new features?
Per Semantic Versioning:
Given a version number MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH, increment the:

1. MAJOR version when you make incompatible API changes,
2. MINOR version when you add functionality in a backwards-compatible manner, and
3. PATCH version when you make backwards-compatible bug fixes.
We do not currently use semantic versioning, but we plan to do so in the future.

Ferk
GitHub: Ferk

by Ferk » Post

AgentNagel42 wrote:-built in craftguide
Imho, it's best to not clutter the inventory interface.. and the wonder of discovery of recipes by other means other than craftguides is good enough for default minetest.

But I think a more modular inventory screen (with an API to add buttons and pages, sort of how unified inventory works) would be an awesome feature. Just don't add any of the extra stuff that unified_inventory adds, leave that to the mods.
AgentNagel42 wrote:-Ability to have an option in Minetest.conf to disable fly/noclip in survival even if privilages exist
Why would you want that? just don't grant people privileges in the first place.

What I would like, though, is being able to revoke non-standard singleplayer priviledges that are always granted by default.

AgentNagel42 wrote:-Entity Lighting (give us fireflies! :P)
-ability to change skin in main menu that will work over all systems (even servers)
These two would be nice, though.
{ ☠ Dungeontest ☠ , ᗧ••myarcade•• }

Esteban
In-game: Esteban

by Esteban » Post

I would like to see the following:

-a way of making subgames independant from the engine.
With other game engines, you are able to export the games as stand-alone applications or how the fighting game e
ngine, M.U.G.E.N , does. (The exe runs everything in the folders, with no need to scroll a game list)

-cutscenes.
For some games that involve a story, it would be useful to add support for these. Video, sprite animation, any method would suffice.

-2D animated entities
I want being able to make monsters similar to those that you find in games like DOOM, different sprite animations per point of view.

I would to see this things added after major problems (mentioned by other users above) are solved.
Scan avatar or click here to read a Message of Hope (PDF)

kaadmy

by kaadmy » Post

Esteban wrote:I would like to see the following:
[...]
-2D animated entities
I want being able to make monsters similar to those that you find in games like DOOM, different sprite animations per point of view.
[...]
it's already possible, and has been since MT 0.3...

Edit: You play DooM :)

Pixture

Esteban
In-game: Esteban

by Esteban » Post

kaadmy wrote:
Esteban wrote:I would like to see the following:
[...]
-2D animated entities
[...]
it's already possible, and has been since MT 0.3...

Edit: You play DooM :)
Yeah, for me, the API wasn't very clear of how to do it. To correct my statement, I would like animations for a 2D entity to be simpler to make.
Still got my WIn95 Doom copy! xD
Scan avatar or click here to read a Message of Hope (PDF)

kaadmy

by kaadmy » Post

The DM-style(Dungeon Master-style) animation spritesheets are very straightforward AFAIK.
I play DooM shareware :)

Pixture

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

-a way of making subgames independant from the engine.
With other game engines, you are able to export the games as stand-alone applications or how the fighting game e
ngine, M.U.G.E.N , does. (The exe runs everything in the folders, with no need to scroll a game list)

You'd just need to make a custom build with the subgame shipped with it. Maybe use a different server list, or filter the serverlist for the right subgame.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Ferk
GitHub: Ferk

by Ferk » Post

I'd rather have the engine ship no subgames at all (not even minetest_game).. and instead have a proper game browser/installer/updater built-in in the main menu.

If someone wants to make his independent custom launcher then it would be more appropriate for him to replace the main menu interface anyway.
{ ☠ Dungeontest ☠ , ᗧ••myarcade•• }