[Game]Minetest_Hades[wip]

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

Re: [Game]Minetest_Hades[1.3]

by paramat » Post

Glünggi wrote:But with a selfmade Skyboxtextur you must play allways with the same ligth, cause the Textur left his brigth in the nigth and also no sun and moon awayable to fake the ligthsource on a moonrealmlike Sky with stars who is allways dark.
The moon on moonrealm dosnt rotate.. so you have allways dayligth... but i love the day and night cyrcle... thats the Problem.
Currently it's possible to have a plain colour skybox that smoothly changes brightness to match the day/night cycle, i recently added this feature to snowdrift viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6854
The code https://github.com/paramat/snowdrift/bl ... it.lua#L87 line 87

However no sun, moon or stars.
If i can understand the code i might try to improve the skybox.

Glünggi

by Glünggi » Post

@all
Maybe its possible that the game crash with build 0.4.13+
I 'll take care of me for it as soon as I find time.. At the moment I 'm busy with other Projects and have generally not much time
@Ferk
Maybe I was just lucky with my seed, but imho, water is a bit way too common in the surface. it would be cool if finding it took some more exploration (without making it outright impossible).
Its difficult, cause if you have bad luck, then you have only a smal landscape and this is very hard.
The underground is a bit boring.
yea.. this is a compromise.. cause if you have mutch Caves u will have mutch lags... cause of the liquids. You can chance the cavevalues via minetestconf.
Btw, requiring iron for ladders is quite harsh, I typically dig straight down when I want to explore the underground and use a lot of ladders, but with nails that's not really an option so mining is much more tedious in this game. Perhaps you could make it so you can receive a lot of nails (like at least 10?) from a single iron ingot. Then it will be 50 instead of 500 iron ingots to be able to reach level -500.
it should be 24 nails for a ironingot... dit you have became only 1 nail from a ironingot?
For a new user, or for someone who just downloads your game to try it out without reading the description much, it's very hard to know what do you have to do. Since the very basic rules that are needed from the start are unique to this game. I installed it the first time when I started playing minetest and was looking for games but I was doing this quickly and didn't fully understand what I had to do, so when I started playing it looked like it was just a plain wasteland with nothing to do other than just walk around and die of starvation. It was only later when I stumbled upon this thread again after I was more experienced that I gave it a second chance. It would be nice if you could add some sort of message for when a player joins for the first time or give them a book that can be read at any time with some short welcome, description and some explanation on the basics of how to start to obtain soil and trees, making them know that you have to actively turn this arid land into something fertile if you don't want to starve.
I do not know if I manage this... but I will try
Also: please delete the old version or hide it under a spoiler tag.. the first time I downloaded the game I was stupid enough to pick the older version (it was bigger in size and it was posted immediately after the first link... also I was mostly looking for github links so my eyes went straight to that section). You should definitely consider making a git repo, this way you don't have to keep old versions and I might even clone it and make perhaps pull request if I actually find something I could do.
ok i have deleted the old link.
@eduardomezencio
I has any Problem with github to upload files... maybe i try it again sometimes.
something happen in my dirt,my dirt seems has broken mesh.
phu.... I have never seen it^.^ If this happens frequently or just at these two nodes?
@paramat
Thank you for the hint. ;)

eduardomezencio
GitHub: eduardomezencio

by eduardomezencio » Post

Do you have technical problems with github or are you still not familiar with git itself? If it's the latter, try this course: https://www.codeschool.com/courses/try-git
It's very simple and will get you started quickly.

Glünggi

by Glünggi » Post

Idk ... i just cant upload files. Edit code directly on github working.... but files like textures dosnt.
Thank you for the link, maybe it help.

Ferk
GitHub: Ferk

by Ferk » Post

Glünggi wrote:Idk ... i just cant upload files. Edit code directly on github working.... but files like textures dosnt.
Ow.. github doesn't work like that. It's a version management system. You need to install a git program in your computer to be able to use it and upload (push) / download (pull) the changes that you "commit".

You do not need to use github web interface for editing stuff (though it's a nice feature being able to do it, but you are probably better off installing a proper editor and not having to use the browser for that).

Maybe the link from eduardomezencio can help. If you work in the area of computer science or so it would probably be useful for you to learn how to use it because it will most likely be needed in your career at some point.

But of course it's entirely your choice. I'm ok with just zip files, it's just that git would be nicer.
{ ☠ Dungeontest ☠ , ᗧ••myarcade•• }

eduardomezencio

Glünggi wrote:Idk ... i just cant upload files. Edit code directly on github working.... but files like textures dosnt.
The tutorial will definitely help you, but I'll also leave some tips here:

- You're not going to edit your files there. You'll just create a git repo inside your game folder (cd into it and do git init), add all the game files to it (git add *) and then commit (git commit, and it'll give you a text editor to write a description of the commit)

- Before commiting for the first time, configure git to commit using your name and email:

Code: Select all

git config --global user.name "Your Name"
git config --global user.email your_email@example.com
- After that, each time you have a 'new version' ready, you need to add only the files you have changed(you can see which files changed by running git status and them add them with git add the name of each file) and then commit. The description is usually a place for you to write what you have changed.

- To use github, after creating your repo there, use:

git remote add origin https://github.com/your_user_name/your_repo_name.git
git push -u origin master
- After that, each time you want to push your changes to github, after making the commit as I explained before, just use

git push
and it'll ask for your username and password to finish the operation.

Hope it helps

eduardomezencio

Ferk wrote:You need to install a git program in your computer to be able to use it and upload (push) / download (pull) the changes that you "commit".
Oh yes.. quite an important thing that I forgot to mention :/

Glünggi

by Glünggi » Post

If you work in the area of computer science
I'm a plumber with only basic knowledge of programming and english
so i'm double handycaped
But thanks you both for the help.
I will try it again soon as I find time and Motivation... cause the last try took many nerv's and takes houres of time ... with all those different git programms and tuto's...

edit 11/4/15:
I have started reworking for hades, make it compatible for 0.4.13 and some other adjustment's.
I will add a new columina with formspec, for smaler craftingguide and more building elements... and a new carpedmod gluncarp from dives runis, witch let carpeds "smelt" with the underground... then i need to convert every single textur from rgb to index color.. and clean up a bit this chaotic Code... so thats a lot of work.
i will it upload to github as soon as i'm finish with the rework... in a few days/weeks.. wathever ;) its done when its done ;)

Glünggi

Re: [Game]Minetest_Hades[wip]

by Glünggi » Post

The 0.4.13 Update is now awayable on GitHub (link in the opening post)
(thanks again to eduardomezencio and Ferk for you help)

Chances:
Spoiler
it was necessary to chance elementary things to the mapgen, cause they have chance the mapgen :D
There are a new snowbiom and the mapgen gravel isnt nomore. So the gravel was a important lavasource in the past. Now there are blobs of Lava... maybe some of them dont flow voluntarily... we must deal with it.

Columnia is now a formspec

Cocarp deleted and gluncarp added. (Underground melting works with most of wooden and stone nodes)

Add some ugly inventory Images

hotbar have now 10 Slots (+2)

furnace became some sounds, also add eatingsounds

Mobslife is now height dependent
***edit 11/15/15 : rework mobs again
add also a few mobs sounds
Spiders lay webs (snappy 2) for athmospheric and a few strings.

add some cooktimes.
cooking and melting is now "expensive" with a standard furnance... but there is more then enough coal.

add itemtweaks
add beds
add itemframes
add sign_libs

mostly textures are now converted too index color.

add the new doors api.

fix kerovachests

add applepie

add refruit -- apples and olives now regrowing on a tree (needs leaves)

all farmingplants are now part of the standard farmingmod, farming plus is now treeplus (sorry)

*** so i think its not compatible for older hadesworlds. (I 've not tested) but it was necessary to do this chances... to keep hades a bit up to date with the minetestgame. i'm started this project with build 0.4.9

so i hope i have nothing forget to commit... have fun ;)

PS: the code is still chaotic ;)

PerrySteven
In-game: PerrySteven

by PerrySteven » Post

For some reason I keep on getting an empty world every time I create a world using this game. I've tried deleting the world and creating a new one, but I get the same result. I have also waited minutes but nothing has happened, all I see is the blue sky and nothing beneath my player.

Edit: I don't know whether this is a cause of the emptiness, but here is one error I keep receiving:
"ERROR[EmergeThread0]: Error: An unhandled exception occurred: Invalid range (max < min)"

Glünggi

by Glünggi » Post

@PerrySteven
Do you use the newest version of this game from Github?
Because this error (or similar) was one of the reason why i have rework the game for 4.13
If you use the newest Version, try another Map seed. Maybe there is a rar Bug i dont know.

PerrySteven
In-game: PerrySteven

by PerrySteven » Post

Glünggi wrote:@PerrySteven
Do you use the newest version of this game from Github?
Because this error (or similar) was one of the reason why i have rework the game for 4.13
If you use the newest Version, try another Map seed. Maybe there is a rar Bug i dont know.
I did download the latest version of GitHub. Perhaps I will try another seed.

Glünggi

by Glünggi » Post

I hope it will work... cause i have no idea waths wrong* whit your Version. I had download the newest win 64 build from sfan5 again and it works. There are some warnings (that i should do).. but no generall gamecrash error or "fully emptiness".

*The Error you posted say's there are a min range value that its greater than the max range value. But i have no idea where - witch this value should be... cause i cant reproduce the error. -.-
Somewhere in the mapgen.. but where?

I will care abouth the warnings... Chance "heigh_max" to "y_max " etc. (and also delete the old oregen). Maybe it help's...who knows...
and it must be done anyway ;)

edit:
I will care abouth the warnings... Chance "heigh_max" to "y_max " etc. (and also delete the old oregen).
it's done (most) - but not tested yet.

Daud

by Daud » Post

I really enjoyed this subgame. I liked the idea of starting with very little and terraforming the land to be usable.

All the lava really makes it feel like an alien world and keeps mining really interesting (and dangerous!).

I liked the different gravity, added to the 'alien' world feel.

The wand of Gaia seemed a bit overpowered. It also feels like 'magic' but the game description sounds 'sci fi' so the theme didn't feel consistent. Maybe replace it with a craftable machine block that does the same thing to the area around it when placed.

Some of the block names in game don't match what is in the README file as well.

The prismatic furnace requires obsidian but by the time I mined down to -1000 I had a chest full of smelted ore and I really didn't need it. Maybe make obsidian easier to get early on.

Apple trees spawn quite often so the 'challenge' of surviving is over very quickly. Maybe lower the chance of getting an apple tree and give people some food at start to compensate.

Elevators were really useful for mining and were easy to craft, maybe too easy?

Overall a good game early on. Perhaps would like to see some more late game content. How about:
- hi tech stuff to craft eg guns
- tougher mobs
- earthquakes so you have to repair your land :)

Glünggi

by Glünggi » Post

It also feels like 'magic'
--->
Any science or technology which is sufficiently advanced is indistinguishable from magic.
- Arthur C. Clarke
haha ;) no.. youre rigth... a machineblock maybe would be a better solution.

So thank you for the feedback...the hints, suggestions and compliments

But at the moment i dosnt work on this project..
Its not dead but at a persistent vegetative state ;)
Maybe i find some motivation again... sometime

ABJ
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

by ABJ » Post

You could always just rename the wand and transform it into some advanced man-portable piece of equipment.
Excuse me, I don't actually play Hades, but just my 2c.

TheReaperKing

by TheReaperKing » Post

My students and I tried it out today and we LOVE it!! I think it really makes survival a lot harder especially when I add hunger :) Is there any water that is spawned anywhere? I did want to add thirst but if there is no water anywhere that might make it beyond difficult. I hope you don't give up on it, this is an awesome subgame!
Become A Real Life Superhero - http://SuperheroHill.com
Project Lead of the Doom 3 Mod Last Man Standing - http://Doom3Coop.com
Project Lead of Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker - http://SandboxGameMaker.com
Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/PlatinumArtsKids

Glünggi

by Glünggi » Post

@ABJ
Yea this could be a solution too thx.. exp a teraforminglaserbeam.. pew ;)
@TheReaperKing
I am glad that you and your students love it :)
You really dont find any water? Have you the minimap F9 turned on? That can help to find some water... else try another seed, then is it simply badluck... or a bug i dont know? You need water not only for drinking, but also to kill the lava , make dirt and for farming etc.. water is very important.
I dont want let the project die, i have spend a lot of time in it, but it does not want at the moment... time will tell
Thank you

echosa

by echosa » Post

I'm at the very beginning of this very cool game. However, I've planted a sapling and it's not growing into a tree. How long am I supposed to wait?

Glünggi

by Glünggi » Post

Thx ;)
Have you plant it on dirt?
Time is randomized... sometimes they grow fast and sometimes they grow slow.
Its better to plant 3,4 tree's not just one... so you have a bigger chance for a fast growing tree.

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

Glünggi wrote:Thx ;)
Have you plant it on dirt?
Time is randomized... sometimes they grow fast and sometimes they grow slow.
Its better to plant 3,4 tree's not just one... so you have a bigger chance for a fast growing tree.
continue working glunggi! You are doing a great game!
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

Glünggi

by Glünggi » Post

Hehe ;) Thank you for trying to motivate me ;)

echosa

by echosa » Post

I did plant on dirt. I just got impatient and didn't wait very long. lol I'll try again sometime. :-)

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

wait for it ;D
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

ABJ
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

by ABJ » Post

Your waiting has been rewarded.