[Mod] Simple Mobs [mobs]

Soudon
In-game: Soudon

Re: [Mod] Simple Mobs [mobs]

by Soudon » Post

Now for some dumb reason I can't hit any mobs.

Well I can but have to be on top of them which line in collisionbox do I change for that.

Soudon

by Soudon » Post

ok trying to add a mob to this I simply copy pasted the code from dirt monster and then renamed it to zombie as I'm adding just a zombie changed all the names pointed it to both my .x and .png. but I keep getting luaentity no defined when in game I can't find where to define it I looked at the api.lua but didnt find anything.

Soudon

by Soudon » Post

I'm just going to stop posting. everytime I do five minutes later I figure it out. like in this case with the png file i forgot to name mobs_zombie, I had it as mob_zombie. one freaking letter.

Soudon

by Soudon » Post

alright so my sand_monster is fine, now my dirt_monster I can see but once I get close it disappears any have any ideas?

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

Soudon wrote:I'm just going to stop posting.
Soudon wrote:alright so my sand_monster is fine, now my dirt_monster I can see but once I get close it disappears any have any ideas?
They die when it's too bright, read this wiki article.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Soudon

by Soudon » Post

Krock wrote:
Soudon wrote:I'm just going to stop posting.
Soudon wrote:alright so my sand_monster is fine, now my dirt_monster I can see but once I get close it disappears any have any ideas?
They die when it's too bright, read this wiki article.

Oh duh yea light damage was set to 2 on them, set it to 0 all is fine thanks. It was too obvious of an answer lol.

Soudon

by Soudon » Post

Ok as I had stated before I use the character.x file to get my textures to work with the mobs now I have one problem the animation that the character has the mob does not use. How can I make the mob have the same animation as my character?

Merlin
GitHub: sct-0
In-game: my

by Merlin » Post

Found what I was looking for in the api, nothing to see here...

Soudon

by Soudon » Post

Ok so I've played with lua but changing the min light, max light doesnt really do anything what can I set it at that they will spawn no matter what, the light level is?

MangleFox70
GitHub: Cat5TV
IRC: MangleFox70
In-game: MangleFox70

by MangleFox70 » Post

I love having all these mobs *except* Dungeon Master. It's cool to have a mob spawning who startles you in the dark, takes your health points and wanders to and fro, but one that destroys your builds is not cool. We'll put a lot of work into a cave realm build, then suddenly half of it is destroyed by Dungeon Master.

Is there a way to disable *only* the Dungeon Master (or any other destructive ones if there are any)? For now I'm using the config to allow only friendlies, but would rather allow all the others.

Thanks!
#ThePixelShadow on YouTube
A Weekly Minetest Webcast hosted by MangleFox70
Have a mod you'd like featured? Want to participate in our show? Join servers.minetest.tv Port 30000 for creative or 30001 for survival.
Upload your own skin via our web site: Minetest.TV

xeranas

by xeranas » Post

MangleFox70 wrote: Is there a way to disable *only* the Dungeon Master (or any other destructive ones if there are any)? For now I'm using the config to allow only friendlies, but would rather allow all the others.
Not clean solution but you always can alter mod itself. In this case remove dungeon master from being registered. Open mods/mobs/init.lua file and search for dungeon_master.

By removing this line mob should no longer automaticly spawn.

Code: Select all

mobs:register_spawn("mobs:dungeon_master", {"default:stone"}, 2, -1, 7000, 1, -50)
By removing this part mob should will not exist in system

mobs:register_mob("mobs:dungeon_master", {
	type = "monster",
	hp_max = 10,
	collisionbox = {-0.7, -0.01, -0.7, 0.7, 2.6, 0.7},
	visual = "mesh",
	mesh = "mobs_dungeon_master.x",
	textures = {"mobs_dungeon_master.png"},
	visual_size = {x=8, y=8},
	makes_footstep_sound = true,
	view_range = 15,
	walk_velocity = 1,
	run_velocity = 3,
	damage = 4,
	drops = {
		{name = "default:mese",
		chance = 100,
		min = 1,
		max = 2,},
	},
	armor = 60,
	drawtype = "front",
	water_damage = 1,
	lava_damage = 1,
	light_damage = 0,
	on_rightclick = nil,
	attack_type = "shoot",
	arrow = "mobs:fireball",
	shoot_interval = 2.5,
	sounds = {
		attack = "mobs_fireball",
	},
	animation = {
		stand_start = 0,
		stand_end = 19,
		walk_start = 20,
		walk_end = 35,
		punch_start = 36,
		punch_end = 48,
		speed_normal = 15,
		speed_run = 15,
	},
})
mobs:register_spawn("mobs:dungeon_master", {"default:stone"}, 2, -1, 7000, 1, -50)
There are plenty mobs mod variations and structure may vary for e.g.:
If init.lua file refers to other files like:

dofile(path.."/dungeonmaster.lua")
You can remove this single line and dungeon master should no longer be initialized.

Do not forget to test changes, and be prepared revert changes (mod backup) for disastrous scenario.

Minetest for myself is new thing, sorry if my solution is overcomplicated. Maybe there are some checkbox or global config settings which can override default mod mobs registration behavior, but I do not know about them yet.

MangleFox70

by MangleFox70 » Post

Nope--not over-complicated at all... I just didn't think to edit the mod itself. As I'm pretty new to Minetest, I hadn't realized they were plain text... figured they were some compiled format. Very cool that I can go about editing them... and if a new version comes out, I'll just use diff to make sure my changes are persistent to the new version.

Thanks! Will give this a try!

Update: this worked wonderfully! While I was at it I also replaced the sheep sounds with a nicer "baby lamb" sound. Going to dig deeper now that I know I can edit the mod directly, and see what else we can come up with :) Our customized version has been included on both of our servers.
Last edited by MangleFox70 on Mon Feb 15, 2016 22:21, edited 1 time in total.
Have a mod you'd like featured? Want to participate in our show? Join servers.minetest.tv Port 30000 for creative or 30001 for survival.

mine_el

by mine_el » Post

I am experimenting with these mobs by editing init.lua. However, they appear so scarcely in the world that i have to search for a long time before i find one.

How can i affect their initial number (e.g. create 1000 dirt_monsters at world start)?

qwertymine3
GitHub: Qwertymine
In-game: qwertymine3

by qwertymine3 » Post

mine_el wrote:I am experimenting with these mobs by editing init.lua. However, they appear so scarcely in the world that i have to search for a long time before i find one.

How can i affect their initial number (e.g. create 1000 dirt_monsters at world start)?
This mod doesn't add any mobs at world generation time - so you can't directly cause a given number to spawn.

You can increase the number of spawns by editing the chance variable when calling mobs:register_mob (smaller means more spawns) or editing the interval for the abm created by mobs:register_mob (this is hard coded)

You could also make a mod (or modifiy ones which already exist) to spawn a mob using minetest.add_entity(pos,name).
This would also work well using the luacmd mod - spawning one at your position using me:getpos() as the position.

Spawneggs mod:viewtopic.php?t=6214
Luacmd mod:viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9671

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

MangleFox70 wrote: Update: this worked wonderfully! While I was at it I also replaced the sheep sounds with a nicer "baby lamb" sound. Going to dig deeper now that I know I can edit the mod directly, and see what else we can come up with :) Our customized version has been included on both of our servers.
If the sound is free (or has been recorded by yourshelf), could you release it? Many players kill sheep because they think their sounds are too loud. Better sheep sounds could save a lot of virtual sheep's lives :-)
A list of my mods can be found here.

MangleFox70

by MangleFox70 » Post

Sokomine wrote:If the sound is free (or has been recorded by yourshelf), could you release it? Many players kill sheep because they think their sounds are too loud. Better sheep sounds could save a lot of virtual sheep's lives :-)
Happy to. I have emailed the person who gave it to me to ask if we can share it. Will let you know.

MangleFox70

by MangleFox70 » Post

Update: heard back and it sounds like he's cool with us distributing the sounds for non commercial use. What license should I request he release it under?

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Any sufficiently free liscence ought to do. For media content, the cc-by-<something>-liscences seem most fitting; perhaps cc-by-sa? Though it might be better to talk with the mod author about it.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Soudon

by Soudon » Post

Ok small issue just not sure how to fix it. I noticed that the mobs are able to attk me through the walls of my house. If I stand in the corner doing something they can attk and hit me.

If you know how to fix it let me know I'm ok with editing the lua I just need to know what to change.

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

The simple mobs api deals damage when in range of a mob instead of checking wether mob can actually see you though walls like Mobs Redo api: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9917

Soudon

by Soudon » Post

I do not like mobs redo so much since they use b3d files which I can't edit, so with that said I am again having the issue of them clipping through the ground I just can't remember how I fixed it before. The z axis is fine that is not the problem I just don't know how I did it.

Nathan.S
GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21

by Nathan.S » Post

Collision box maybe?
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website, and brand new Minetest Modding Course

Soudon

by Soudon » Post

Nathan.S wrote:Collision box maybe?
I was thinking so but I have no idea what number in the collision box field is for the z axis

Nathan.S
GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21

by Nathan.S » Post

I believe the second and fifth. Second being the bottom, and fifth being the top.
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website, and brand new Minetest Modding Course

rtos

by rtos » Post

Why do dirt mobs disapper when you hit them a couple of times while still getting damage from behind even though you are inside a house standing in a corner?
And why don't sheeps drop wool and meat when I hit/kill them?