Crevis - A Minetest Fork

Niften

Crevis - A Minetest Fork

by Niften » Post

Hello, Minetest! Last year there was hate for a fork that I created called Crevis, which apparently, you guys thought we were trying to make money and do stuff illegally that passed your license. Anyways, I've been redeveloping the thing completely separate from the Minetest engine, and while doing that I found the old file. Anyways I thought I'd put it up for download since it is a Minetest fork and I think it should belong on here with the reputation of a fork rather than an entirely seperate game that supposedly tried to rip off Minetest. Anyways, I kind of forgot what it was, so I guess it's a 'secret' fork, I know there's PilzAdam's beds in there, and a scythe mod I put together in a few minutes, but it's pretty cool so I'll post the link on here so you guys can check it out :)

link removed, redirect to thread in subgame category.

Enjoy~
(p.s. I'm not going to be checking this thread after I post it, feel free to do whatever you want to it!)
Last edited by Niften on Wed Dec 03, 2014 21:59, edited 1 time in total.

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

Re: Crevis - The Minetest Fork

by Krock » Post

What motivates me to download this > 10 MB file?
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

LemonLake
GitHub: Lemmmy
IRC: Lemmmy
In-game: Lemmmy

by LemonLake » Post

My honest opinion of it? It would be better of as a subgame. It does have some really cool mobs, and I like the trading system. There are some neat tools, too.

On the other hand, the textures are inconsistent. It looks like you used a lot of stock photos too, which is very bad for a game you're planning on releasing. And looking at your website, you're ready for something big. So you may want to fix those before August.

The font is unreadable, but that may just be because I was running in Wine. Which brings me onto my other point; you only gave a windows build. You should probably give out a git link so we Nix users can play it without having endless issues :)

Probably one of the best things about this is that it's unique. It's a shame that the inconsistency, use of stock textures, crazy verbose debugging amongst a few other issues bring it down.

I don't know much about it's past, I've only heard a few things. But as a subgame, it has potential.

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

Krock wrote:What motivates me to download this > 10 MB file?
curiosity?

webdesigner97
GitHub: webD97
IRC: webdesigner97
In-game: webdesigner97

by webdesigner97 » Post

Niften wrote:(p.s. I'm not going to be checking this thread after I post it, feel free to do whatever you want to it!)
Then I wonder why this person posted it :D

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

webdesigner97 wrote: Then I wonder why this person posted it :D
generosity?

kaeza
GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Post

Is this a fork of the engine, or simply vanilla Minetest bundled with a sub-game?

In the former case, please provide the sources for your changes. Otherwise, it is still illegal, and the topic will probably be removed.

In the latter case, it would be better to just release the sub-game via the usual procedure.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal

Niften

by Niften » Post

webdesigner97 wrote:
Niften wrote:(p.s. I'm not going to be checking this thread after I post it, feel free to do whatever you want to it!)
Then I wonder why this person posted it :D
I lied. I saw it in my email. :D

Niften

by Niften » Post

kaeza wrote:Is this a fork of the engine, or simply vanilla Minetest bundled with a sub-game?

In the former case, please provide the sources for your changes. Otherwise, it is still illegal, and the topic will probably be removed.

In the latter case, it would be better to just release the sub-game via the usual procedure.
All that was changed in the engine was the name and the credits, I'm not sure the source would be worth posting o.O If you still want me to put the source on here, unfortunately I deleted those files. If the thread is required to be removed then I guess I don't really have an option here :/

Dragonop
GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

by Dragonop » Post

Niften with all the respect, but this STILL a ILLEGAL rip-off cause you use a shareware engyne but dont give the credits to the real creator, and place your names like if you have do something.

Mcc457

by Mcc457 » Post

Niften wrote:
kaeza wrote:Is this a fork of the engine, or simply vanilla Minetest bundled with a sub-game?

All that was changed in the engine was the name and the credits, I'm not sure the source would be worth posting o.O If you still want me to put the source on here, unfortunately I deleted those files. If the thread is required to be removed then I guess I don't really have an option here :/
If you just changed the name, it would probably be better if you just released th game as a sub-game rather that a "fork"

Niften

Re: Crevis - A Minetest Fork

by Niften » Post

I think I'm going to remove the download link here and make a .zip of the sub-game. I'm sure I'll find a way. I don't want to leave with Minetest on the wrong foot with me.

jadedtest
GitHub: jadedctrl
IRC: jadedctrl
In-game: jadedctrl

by jadedtest » Post

vv
Last edited by jadedtest on Sun Dec 14, 2014 17:05, edited 1 time in total.
cdb_85f468c50cda

hoodedice
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

jadedtest wrote:Perhaps this has already been addressed, but it's not wrong to make money off of a Minetest fork, or even Minetest.
Minetest is Free Software under the GNU LGPL, and one of the four essential freedoms is to redistribute modifications (or verbatim) copies gratis or for money.
However, your fork must also be Free Software (Well, the engine must be. Art assets, etc, don't have to be. Art can be proprietary.)

In fact, I encourage you to fork Minetest to your heart's content. Please, do so. Just include the source-code, regardless as to whether or not you deem it worth-while.
Uh, yes, this has already been addressed, and Niften is trying his best to open source all that he wrote.
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

kaeza
GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Post

Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal

Niften

by Niften » Post

hoodedice wrote:
jadedtest wrote:Perhaps this has already been addressed, but it's not wrong to make money off of a Minetest fork, or even Minetest.
Minetest is Free Software under the GNU LGPL, and one of the four essential freedoms is to redistribute modifications (or verbatim) copies gratis or for money.
However, your fork must also be Free Software (Well, the engine must be. Art assets, etc, don't have to be. Art can be proprietary.)

In fact, I encourage you to fork Minetest to your heart's content. Please, do so. Just include the source-code, regardless as to whether or not you deem it worth-while.
Uh, yes, this has already been addressed, and Niften is trying his best to open source all that he wrote.
Well, I've stopped using Minetest and wanted to start anew. My rewritten game is near completion and almost ready for Steam Greenlight. ;)

Dragonop
GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

by Dragonop » Post

Post the link to Greenlight :D

Niften

by Niften » Post

Dragonop wrote:Post the link to Greenlight :D
Kinda... overshot that estimate... by a lot... lol. Just a heads up:

soon = no idea when
specific date = a couple weeks/days from that
very soon = game is almost done but still don't know when it will be released
today or tomorrow = a couple of weeks

Niften

by Niften » Post

Though I have a forum link if you would like that? I don't know if it's against the rules to post that or not