Minetest mapper problems

tomlukeywood
IRC: tomlukeywood
In-game: tomlukeywood

Minetest mapper problems

by tomlukeywood » Post

i am trying to generate my entire map as a .png file so i am using the C++ version of Minetest mapper to do so.

but even though i have specified that it render a 20000 x 20000 block area it only seems to goto around 2000 x 2000 blocks and i cant see places on the map i have been to that are only around 2100 blocks out

here is the command i am using:
./minetestmapper --geometry -10000:-10000+20000+20000 -i ../../../worlds/World1 -o World1.png --drawplayers

dose anyone know why its only generating a small area?

here is the PNG it generates:

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

Re: Minetest mapper problems

by twoelk » Post

maybe you should try to tile the map.
you are trying to create a 400million pixel picture.
youre system may have limits to calculate the grafic that requests at least 1,2 gigabytes of memory for mapping the pixels alone.
The MinetestMapperGui - Graphical userinterface for mtmapper might be a usefull tool.

tomlukeywood

by tomlukeywood » Post

my system has 16GB of ram and a oct core 3.5ghz i7 cpu so i don’t think that is the problem

thanks for showing me the GUI utility but whenever i try to render somthing i get this error:

Error code: 0
Error Message:

No such file or directory

my world directory is definitely correct could there be anything else causing this if you know?

EDIT:
i since worked out that it was becuase it was trying to find the minetestmapper program that for some reason didn’t come with it so i included that in the directory and now that error goes away and i am stuck with this one :(:

Exit code: 1
Status of MinetestMapper:
/home/tom/MinetestGame/util/Tools/minetestmappergui/mapper/minetestmapper: unrecognized option '--colors'

addi
GitHub: adrido

by addi » Post

The minetestmappergui is optimiced to use with Minetestmapper by rogier5. It schould also be compatible with the normal Minetestmapper, but I can not test it, because its impossible to build it under Windows.
Can you run the minetestmapper with the params displayed in "Output" tab? If you Paste the Output here, I may give you more advice or I can fix the bug.

tomlukeywood

by tomlukeywood » Post

heres the command and output:

Code: Select all

./minetestmapper -i /home/tom/MinetestGame/worlds/World1 --output /home/tom/map.png --colors /home/tom/MinetestGame/util/Tools/minetestmappergui/./colors.txt --progress --drawalpha=none --bgcolor #6b6b6b --blockcolor white --scalecolor black --origincolor red --playercolor yellow --tilebordercolor black --geometry -32768,-32768:32767,32767 --geometrymode pixel --drawplayers
./minetestmapper: unrecognized option '--colors'

addi
GitHub: adrido

by addi » Post

sorry, I cant find whats wrong with minetestmapper. You may give the minetestmapper by Rogier5 a try.

Argos

by Argos » Post

tomlukeywood wrote:heres the command and output:

./minetestmapper -i /home/tom/MinetestGame/worlds/World1 --output /home/tom/map.png --colors /home/tom/MinetestGame/util/Tools/minetestmappergui/./colors.txt --progress --drawalpha=none --bgcolor #6b6b6b --blockcolor white --scalecolor black --origincolor red --playercolor yellow --tilebordercolor black --geometry -32768,-32768:32767,32767 --geometrymode pixel --drawplayers
./minetestmapper: unrecognized option '--colors'
This is a symptom of using stock minetestmapper instead of my version.

Stock minetetmapper does not allow you to specify the location of the colors file on the command-line: i.e. it doesn't recognise the option '--colors'. My version does.

As addi recommends: use my version with minetestmappergui. I'd personally recommend to always use it, but then, I'm biased :-)

Wrt your command line:

./minetestmapper --geometry -10000:-10000+20000+20000 -i ../../../worlds/World1 -o World1.png --drawplayers
At a first glance, I don't see anything wrong with it. Are you sure you've also visited the origin (0,0) ? The stock version of minetestmapper will always clip the map to the smallest possible size (i.e. removing any white borders the map may have). With the command-line above, you'll only get a 20000x20000 map if you've visited world coordinates -10000 and +10000 within the area of your geometry, both in the north/south direction and in the east/west direction.

Use --drawscale (works both on my version and on stock minetestmapper) to find out which part of the world it is actually mapping.

If you are using my version of minetestmapper, and still experience a problem, post the output of minetestmapper after running it with '--verbose=2', so I can try to help you further.
My mods & tools:
My fork of Minetestmapper - much improved - features, manual, Windows downloads
[MOD] Wrench (rotate:wrench) - improved screwdriver alternative - manual, download

tomlukeywood

by tomlukeywood » Post

Thanks for your help but when i try to compile your program with cmake .
it gives this error:

CMake Warning at CMakeLists.txt:318 (message):
  CREATE_FLAT_PACKAGE is set ON: creating a flat package.

For 'make install', .deb and .rpm packages, CREATE_FLAT_PACKAGE must be OFF

-- Flat archive package name: minetestmapper-20150310-Linux-flat.tar.gz
CMake Error: The following variables are used in this project, but they are set to NOTFOUND.
Please set them or make sure they are set and tested correctly in the CMake files:
LEVELDB_LIBRARY
    linked by target "minetestmapper" in directory /home/tom/MinetestGame/util/Tools/minetest-mapper-cpp-master
REDIS_LIBRARY
    linked by target "minetestmapper" in directory /home/tom/MinetestGame/util/Tools/minetest-mapper-cpp-master

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "/home/tom/MinetestGame/util/Tools/minetest-mapper-cpp-master/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".

any ideas?

tomlukeywood

by tomlukeywood » Post

Are you sure you've also visited the origin (0,0) ?
the weird thing is i have visited 0,0 and have gone much much further than were it stops rendering -2048

yet it still dosent show up this is the command i am using (Stock Minetest mapper)

./minetestmapper --geometry -10000:-10000+20000+20000 -i ../../../worlds/World1 -o World1.png --drawplayers --drawscale
and generated image:

Argos

by Argos » Post

tomlukeywood wrote:Thanks for your help but when i try to compile your program with cmake .
it gives this error:
[...]
any ideas?
It seems like I didn't actually test compiling minetestmapper without those libraries installed... Sorry about that :-(

I pushed a patch to a new (temporary) branch. It compiles fine with all libraries installed on the system. I believe it will solve your compilation problem, but I haven't got time at this moment to install a (virtual) machine without leveldb or redis, and verify that it does what I expect it will under those circumstances.

If you like, you are welcome to try the patch. The branch is named fix-build.
If it works, the patch will be definitive.
My mods & tools:
[MOD] Wrench (rotate:wrench) - improved screwdriver alternative - manual, download

Argos

by Argos » Post

tomlukeywood wrote:
Are you sure you've also visited the origin (0,0) ?
the weird thing is i have visited 0,0 and have gone much much further than were it stops rendering -2048

yet it still dosent show up this is the command i am using (Stock Minetest mapper)

./minetestmapper --geometry -10000:-10000+20000+20000 -i ../../../worlds/World1 -o World1.png --drawplayers --drawscale
and generated image: [image]
Puzzling. Does minetestmapper print any messages ?

It would be helpful if you ran my version with verbose=2. If it produces similar results, add: --blockcolor \#ffff88.
My mods & tools:

tomlukeywood

by tomlukeywood » Post

Thanks the fixed repo compiled perfectly

i ran this command:

with your program and it ran perfectly now and rendered everywhere i have been too!

(i wonder how many GB a 64000 * 64000 * 64000 node map would take up!?)

Argos

by Argos » Post

tomlukeywood wrote:Thanks the fixed repo compiled perfectly
Thanks. Good to hear. And thanks for finding the bug. Still wonder what's wrong with the other version. I guess we may never know...
(i wonder how many GB a 64000 * 64000 * 64000 node map would take up!?)
A lot!
I know of an 8kx8k map of 19MB. That means a 64kx64k map could be 1,3 GB (compressed). Uncompressed it would probably be 12GB at least...

You'd probably need all of your RAM, and them some, to generate such a map. Unfortunately, due to a limitation of the drawing library, minetestmapper can't generate maps larger than 48kx48k on fully 64-bit systems (unless you scale them). So you'd have to generate the map in sections, and stitch them together using an external application :-(
My mods & tools: