[Mod] Weather (Snow, Rain) [weather]

SAMIAMNOT
In-game: notanewbie

Re: [Mod] Weather (Snow, Rain) [weather]

by SAMIAMNOT » Post

This mod is good though I haven't used any other mod.
I'd like to see a feature where it only eains or snows under clouds. Also I think gray raindrops would be better looking.
And I think it should rain or snow depending on the date and snow all day on Christmas.
What do you think of my ideas?
*EDIT* Does snow pile up?
I test mines.

Nathan.S
GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21

by Nathan.S » Post

Looks like the particle spawner needs an update.

Code: Select all

12:33:52: ACTION[ServerThread]: Deprecated add_particlespawner call with individual parameters instead of definition
12:33:52: ACTION[ServerThread]: stack traceback:
12:33:52: ACTION[ServerThread]: 	[C]: in function 'add_particlespawner'
12:33:52: ACTION[ServerThread]: 	...han/.minetest/mods/minetest-mod-weather/weather/snow.lua:19: in function <...han/.minetest/mods/minetest-mod-weather/weather/snow.lua:2>
12:33:52: ACTION[ServerThread]: 	/usr/share/minetest/builtin/game/register.lua:348: in function </usr/share/minetest/builtin/game/register.lua:336>
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website, and brand new Minetest Modding Course

SAMIAMNOT

by SAMIAMNOT » Post

Also in this world I have there is always this little cloud that rains in a 30x30 space and never moves. That's not supposed to happen, is it?
I test mines.

Fredrick01
IRC: Fredrick
In-game: Fredrick

by Fredrick01 » Post

I have been looking for a weather mod for awhile now, no clue one already existed!! Thanks for posting!

dgm5555

by dgm5555 » Post

Adding this code to Snow.lua under the -- Snow cover section means the snow will gradually melt rather than forming a permanant white square on the ground...

minetest.register_abm({
	nodenames = {"weather:snow_cover"},
	interval = 10.0,
	chance = 20,
	action = function(pos, node, active_object_count, active_object_count_wider)
		minetest.env:set_node(pos, {name = "default:water_flowing"})
	end,
})

dgm5555

by dgm5555 » Post

Just a thought about the 30x30 cloud/square on the ground. If you randomly added snow to the ground further out without processing the falling snow. That way there wouldn't be any processor load, but it wouldn't look so artificial.
If you use voxel_manip then you force minetest to load the block which would be a bit safer than just hoping a distant block would be correctly set

local manip = minetest.get_voxel_manip()
manip:read_from_map(p, p)
Actually on the processor load front. Would it be possible to have a non-particle weather option (using animated walkable nodes). Every computer I've tried it on (including multi-processor pcs) have ground to a halt when the rain or snow starts.

Finally, as it is particularly uncool when it rains inside buildings, what about a quick height check? Something like this would work, you probably only need to check within 5-10 nodes of a player, and if wanted to be really efficient and kept it in an array and only tested unknown columns the speed cost should be pretty negligible:

-- This will fail if ground level is below -100 or an obsticle above 96 (but this doesn't happen very often)
--if more robust code is needed then could start at cloud level and keep going down til you hit non-air
local manip = minetest.get_voxel_manip()
for i = 96, -100, -1 do	
	p = {x=targetX, y=i, z=targetZ}
	manip:read_from_map(p, p)
	if minetest.get_node(p).name ~= "air" and minetest.get_node(p).name ~= "ignore" then
		groundLevel = i
		break
	end
end

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

dgm5555 wrote:Actually on the processor load front. Would it be possible to have a non-particle weather option (using animated walkable nodes).
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9915 this may have some issues, needs more work, and no snow, but uses animated nodes, a method that has many advantages.

Samson1
GitHub: MoJo4000
IRC: Samson1
In-game: Samson1

by Samson1 » Post

I think it needs a bit of work, but I like it.
Last edited by Samson1 on Tue Nov 06, 2018 15:56, edited 1 time in total.

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Samson1: that's easier said than done but we would need to see minecraft code to see how THEY do it... lol... mods here start off glitchy but over time get better...

Silwncer

by Silwncer » Post

That raining in houses issue is serious and it needs to be fixed

Konrad
In-game: Konrad

by Konrad » Post

I like having weather in Minetest, but I have one suggestion for improvement. I don't know how easily it can be done, but it would be cool if the clouds and sky could turn grey during rain or snow.

benrob0329
GitHub: Benrob0329
IRC: benrob0329
In-game: benrob03

by benrob0329 » Post

Could the rain or snow be controlled by the biom? E.g. if someone was in a snow biom there would ocationally be snowfall, and if they were in a rain forest there would be heavy rain every day, possibly even flash floods every blue moon.

Maybe even have seasons? Like every 180 days change the season?

Samson1
GitHub: MoJo4000
IRC: Samson1
In-game: Samson1

by Samson1 » Post

benrob0329 wrote:Could the rain or snow be controlled by the biom? E.g. if someone was in a snow biom there would ocationally be snowfall, and if they were in a rain forest there would be heavy rain every day, possibly even flash floods every blue moon.

Maybe even have seasons? Like every 180 days change the season?
Yes, it could, I am thinking of making a mod like this one thats more to Minecraft standards, like the rain falls into houses and it snows on the grass biom.
What would be good is to have a command so instead of it snowing/raining when I am making videos or when I don't want it to I can just type in "/downfall"

nm0i
IRC: nm0i
In-game: nm0i

by nm0i » Post

(Not) the same mod mechanics with sound, skybox changes,storms and thunder added.

No weather transition code. Use /help weather

Download (1M)
Spoiler

mahmutelmas06
GitHub: mahmutelmas06
IRC: mahmutelmas06
In-game: masum

by mahmutelmas06 » Post

nm0i wrote:(Not) the same mod mechanics with sound, skybox changes,storms and thunder added.
+1 for thunder
My Mods:

Beverage

swordpaint12
In-game: [swordpaint12][Belching_Balladeer]

by swordpaint12 » Post

Don't particles slow down the game? Is there a build that just kind of stains the screen like when underwater? Would that make the game faster? Could anyone do that?
God's not dead; remember that!
Yay for MT! No MC here!
I am a human. I'm younger than 100 years old.
I've been playing Minetest since December 2014.

I'm amazed that I haven't been on here in so long! My latest minetest accomplishment was mining by hand (well, as close as you can get in a computer game) a circle 30 blocks in diameter. It took forever but it's pretty cool.

Don
GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Post

I have made a mod that adds months. The weather is dependent on the month. It is still under development so don't expect it to be perfect. I used parts of this mod to make the weather. If anyone is brave enough to give it a try then the link is below.

Also if you are interested in helping me develop the mod then please PM me. I still have to add the credit to Jeija for the weather. I will do that very soon. I also plan on adding thunder.

https://github.com/DonBatman/mymonths
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

nm0i

by nm0i » Post

Another attempt to add more lag to the game.

This time I added rainbox for indoors weather. Idea is to draw additional particle spawners at 4,8,12 nodes if player is inside.
Download (800532)
Spoiler
License: Unilicense for code (WTFPL without swearing), CC0/CCA for sound (credits included), CC0 for textures.

kaadmy
GitHub: kaadmy
IRC: KaadmY
In-game: KaadmY kaadmy NeD

by kaadmy » Post

swordpaint12 wrote:Don't particles slow down the game? Is there a build that just kind of stains the screen like when underwater? Would that make the game faster? Could anyone do that?
That would be quite useful, and so would having a mod-changeable fog color/distance per client, like skyboxes.
Stains would be possible, but couldn't be animated.
Never paint white stripes on roads near Zebra crossings.

Pixture

Don
GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Post

kaadmy wrote: Stains would be possible, but couldn't be animated.
How do you tint the screen?
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

kaadmy
GitHub: kaadmy
IRC: KaadmY
In-game: KaadmY kaadmy NeD

by kaadmy » Post

Don wrote:
kaadmy wrote: Stains would be possible, but couldn't be animated.
How do you tint the screen?
You can apply HUD images; see playereffects in adventuretest, it makes the screen black while sleeping.
Never paint white stripes on roads near Zebra crossings.

Pixture

swordpaint12
In-game: [swordpaint12][Belching_Balladeer]

by swordpaint12 » Post

kaadmy wrote:see playereffects in adventuretest, it makes the screen black while sleeping.
Which I can't figure out how to get out of. Anyhoo, yes, how do you think they stain the screen when under water? I know it couldn't be animated, unless it switched between two or three "stains". A few weeks ago I was trying to puzzle out how to make an easy-use weather mod- or at least an idea for one- and I was talking with someone I know and he said that in some of the games he plays there is weather, but it is only on the player's screen instead of particles. So that's where I got that idea. There is also a mod somewhere in one of these forums and they have a big cluster of bubbles on the screen while doing something (that I forget) so that only reinforced my idea.

Ah yes, here it is. Survival mod. "Bubbles appear when underwater":
God's not dead; remember that!
Yay for MT! No MC here!
I am a human. I'm younger than 100 years old.
I've been playing Minetest since December 2014.

I'm amazed that I haven't been on here in so long! My latest minetest accomplishment was mining by hand (well, as close as you can get in a computer game) a circle 30 blocks in diameter. It took forever but it's pretty cool.

SAMIAMNOT

by SAMIAMNOT » Post

swordpaint12 wrote:
kaadmy wrote:see playereffects in adventuretest, it makes the screen black while sleeping.
Which I can't figure out how to get out of. Anyhoo, yes, how do you think they stain the screen when under water? I know it couldn't be animated, unless it switched between two or three "stains". A few weeks ago I was trying to puzzle out how to make an easy-use weather mod- or at least an idea for one- and I was talking with someone I know and he said that in some of the games he plays there is weather, but it is only on the player's screen instead of particles. So that's where I got that idea. There is also a mod somewhere in one of these forums and they have a big cluster of bubbles on the screen while doing something (that I forget) so that only reinforced my idea.

Ah yes, here it is. Survival mod. "Bubbles appear when underwater":
That's a great idea.
I test mines.

nm0i

by nm0i » Post

http://me0w.net/pit/1469394892 (.tar.gz) (611604b)

Clean-up of my previous and top-post version.
Requires serverstep < 0.2. Is not that laggy as before.

This version adds visual effects for toxic rain, blood rain, blood storm.
Spoiler

Cupcake_Kitty
In-game: Cupcake_Kitty

by Cupcake_Kitty » Post

Last time I tried this was on my old Linux mac computer and my Minetest engine crashed when it began to snow. Now that I am on a Windows 8 HP will it not crash? Thanks.