Bad translation interface

balacobaco

Bad translation interface

by balacobaco » Post

I would to contribute by translating more in this project than it currently is for my language.

But the website where you host this inteface is really bad, and complains about "referer", giving a silly 403 error. I cannot change this in most computers I use everyday (yes, I know what it is this referer), except mine (which I used to register today). Is it feasible to drop the user for that website? There are other projects that work just fine with many other translation systems (and probably more than one can be migrated without losing a single translated word).

Just as a last resort, can I translate things for this game without that website? How?

Thank you

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

Re: Bad translation interface

by rubenwardy » Post

It is this site you're using, right? https://hosted.weblate.org/projects/minetest/minetest/
What if you access the site by typing the URL?
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

balacobaco

by balacobaco » Post

It is that site, of course.

I cannot type the URL of a form (and if I did so, because it is possible, it would not have a referer URL for the URL I type).

Let me explain again.

1. open the site

2. cannot login because it will give that warning about referer (which is not something good to enabled, so most browsers I use don't have it by default, and I can't change them; in my personal browser I also don't want to keep referer sending turned on)

3. I change the setting just to log in, and then turn it off again (so I can use Internet as I prefer to and will)

4. I cannot submit any translations now; it will give me that error for any action I make, except clicking normal links

Edit: forgot to say that if this change is not possible I will not contribute to translating your game; I really would like to, as I did for many programs (among a few games) in the last several years - and without ever having to use "bad" or specific browser settings to contribute. I will search for another game... but that would be a sad thing to do.

srifqi
GitHub: srifqi
IRC: srifqi
In-game: srifqi

by srifqi » Post

How about using another web browser with "special" settings? Hope you have more than one browser.
Saya dari Indonesia! · Terjemahkan Minetest! · my mods · My nickname in IPA: /es.rif.qi/

ShadowNinja
Developer
GitHub: ShadowNinja
IRC: ShadowNinja
In-game: ShadowNinja

by ShadowNinja » Post

The refferer check is probably an attempt to protect from CSRF. There are better ways to do this that don't require you to check the referrer though.

balacobaco

by balacobaco » Post

A protection against XSS is good. But after we're logged in there, verified human, there is no need to keep that referer checking. May it used for XSS after logging in?! Of course! But it will be from my user - just block the user who does it. In practive, referer demanding makes no difference, except that it demands special settings, like you all said - but these are a bit troublesome to keep everywhere. So, in the end, this will result in much less contributions from me (and from many other people too, some even more affect with these restriction than myself).

I would prefer to keep it simple for most cases, so it encourages people to contribute instead of making more demands for them to have.