Minetest 0.4.14?

LNJ
GitHub: lnjX
IRC: LNJ
In-game: LNJ

Minetest 0.4.14?

by LNJ » Post

Is the version 0.4.14 planned?
When comes the 0.5 or a new version out?

In the German Wikipedia it says that there will be a 0.4.14.
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minetest# ... geschichte

I think the next version comes out at Christmas.
Storage Drawers - The simplest item storage in Minetest

lightonflux
In-game: lof

Re: Minetest 0.4.14?

by lightonflux » Post

If the new release comes around Christmas it would be nice if minetest_game would get some christmasy blocks or items. It would be nice to have season related updates. It doesn't have to be much. And other mods already implemented stuff that could be included. Wrapped gifts blocks and christmass tree for example. :)

AccidentallyRhine

by AccidentallyRhine » Post

Have a look through dev IRC history for hints of release. Very often the date is not concrete, 0.4.13 got pushed back twice I believe. Though it would be nice if they announced target dates to the community.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Minetest won't get christmassy things in default, as there are a lot of non-christians that play it - we don't want to disclude people, religion is best kept out of Minetest. I personally don't like festival additions to games that much.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

BlockMen
Developer
GitHub: BlockMen

by BlockMen » Post

rubenwardy wrote:Minetest won't get christmassy things in default, as there are a lot of non-christians that play it - we don't want to disclude people, religion is best kept out of Minetest. I personally don't like festival additions to games that much.
Exactly this attitude is one of the main problems in the "western" world. If ppl are not christian, they don't have to use the "christmas blocks".
But trying to avoid any "conflict" is a ridiculous approach. Everyone can take everything as "offense".
Do we remove mushrooms again if some ppl claim to not like them? Or will there be never meat because some vegetarians dont eat it?

This exaggerated "political correctness" is stupid and leads just to other problems. People need to learn to differ between targeted/intended discrimination and living own intuition (that might not all ppl on the world share).

Furthermore, the festival "christmas" in year 2015 calling an religious thing is funny. How is "santa" or the "christmas tree" an expression of the christian religion?

Dragonop
GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

by Dragonop » Post

Not really needing to add some sort of religion-related stuff, just a present block... are you telling me that only christians give presents? That's offensive.

srifqi
GitHub: srifqi
IRC: srifqi
In-game: srifqi

by srifqi » Post

LNJ wrote:Is the version 0.4.14 planned?
When comes the 0.5 or a new version out?

In the German Wikipedia it says that there will be a 0.4.14.
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minetest# ... geschichte

I think the next version comes out at Christmas.
Oh man, we need more time and more translator to translate at least 70% of each language to update, so that player can enjoy Minetest (main menu) better and get understand to the new feature (advanced settings) better and faster.
Saya dari Indonesia! · Terjemahkan Minetest! · my mods · My nickname in IPA: /es.rif.qi/

tomlukeywood
IRC: tomlukeywood
In-game: tomlukeywood

by tomlukeywood » Post

just relised

i don’t this there is a english minetest wikipedia page

is this the case?

srifqi
GitHub: srifqi
IRC: srifqi
In-game: srifqi

by srifqi » Post

(Sorry, I can hardly understand what you said)

I just want to say that we actually need more stable engine and also translation if we want to update it, so we need as many language as possible before an update.
Saya dari Indonesia! · Terjemahkan Minetest! · my mods · My nickname in IPA: /es.rif.qi/

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Can you honestly see any of the core devs adding such items? That was my point.

As for my personal opinion, such items can only be used for a month in the winter. We can't just remove blocks, I suppose they could melt or something, but I'm not so sure about that.
BlockMen wrote:If ppl are not christian, they don't have to use the "christmas blocks".
I must have misunderstood, I thought that the additions would be in your face - like excessive snow biomes with Christmas trees, santa mobs, etc. It's not so bad if it's craftable and player placed.

People are a lot more hung up over religion. Not me, I personally wouldn't mind having Christmas items in the game, I'll probably add a mod to do that in the winter.
BlockMen wrote:Furthermore, the festival "christmas" in year 2015 calling an religious thing is funny. How is "santa" or the "christmas tree" an expression of the christian religion?
Christmas has become less about Christianity, but it still is that. That is what the christmas tree connotes, along with Santa. Even if it's not in the bible, it's been associated.
Dragonop wrote:Not really needing to add some sort of religion-related stuff, just a present block... are you telling me that only christians give presents? That's offensive.
I wouldn't object to presents in minetest_game, I think that's quite a good idea - it would be quite useful for servers. You could also combine it with parcels and letters, maybe. Of course that goes against the current minetest_game philosophy, but I think that should be ditched.
BlockMen wrote:This exaggerated "political correctness" is stupid and leads just to other problems. People need to learn to differ between targeted/intended discrimination and living own intuition (that might not all ppl on the world share).
I agree that political correctness gets in the way. People do get offended though:

viewtopic.php?p=149573#p149573

Hello profile reader

lightonflux
In-game: lof

by lightonflux » Post

Oh didn't want to spark such a discussion. I could argument that the modern or Christmas Tree is not Christian anymore and that association is a localised thing. But i don't think it brings this thread further. After all this is about 0.4.14

My reference point for such blocks is the mod Christmas Craft which has quite nice craftable items, that don't need much resources, apart from the few kilobyte of recipes and texture.

Dragonop
GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

by Dragonop » Post

rubenwardy wrote:People do get offended though:
viewtopic.php?p=149573#p149573
Wrong, I was not offended, I'm not a religious person, I just wanted to state that some people might get offended (because, like you, I already saw that many times).
I'm sorry if it was not well explained, kinda hard to make a point if you are speaking in a different languaje.
Sorry about the offtopicness, but somehow this is related to minetest development.

Gambit

by Gambit » Post

Presents aren't just assosiated with Christmas, it's also common for Birthdays, Valentines, Mother/Father's Day and many other holidays. Presents are universal.
Current Projects: MineToon | PixelBOX
Gambit's Checkmate Server - 43.65.296.232 - port: 30001

AccidentallyRhine

Snowmen are also pretty universal. lightonflux's post probably would have been better received if it were:
it would be nice if minetest_game would get some wintery blocks or items.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

I'd like that. Presents, snowmen, etc are completely ok and would be cool. So are fairy lights.

Hello profile reader

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

lightonflux wrote: My reference point for such blocks is the mod Christmas Craft which has quite nice craftable items, that don't need much resources, apart from the few kilobyte of recipes and texture.
That's indeed a very nice, enjoyable mod. Unwrapping a present - or giving a present to someone - is very entertaining. If the presents could be decorated with a nametag so that only the receiver (or donator) could open it, the presents could even fill a gap we currently have on servers: Giving something to a player who's currently not there is tricky. Minetest_game could come with a general present-chest, and other mods could add decorative wrapping paper.
A list of my mods can be found here.

firefox
In-game: Red_Fox

by firefox » Post

the shared chests on Xanadu can be labeled with names and then only those players can open it.
i think it came from the more chests mod.

but to wrap them in paper, you must use carpets and a screwdriver and if the area is not protected, other people can steal the carpets ....
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

AccidentallyRhine

Sokomine wrote:
lightonflux wrote: My reference point for such blocks is the mod Christmas Craft which has quite nice craftable items, that don't need much resources, apart from the few kilobyte of recipes and texture.
That's indeed a very nice, enjoyable mod. Unwrapping a present - or giving a present to someone - is very entertaining. If the presents could be decorated with a nametag so that only the receiver (or donator) could open it, the presents could even fill a gap we currently have on servers: Giving something to a player who's currently not there is tricky. Minetest_game could come with a general present-chest, and other mods could add decorative wrapping paper.

This is a great idea. Also could be applied to letters or books for those servers that like to have mail men for whatever reason. Or I suppose those could just go inside the Gift nodes.

benrob0329
GitHub: Benrob0329
IRC: benrob0329
In-game: benrob03

by benrob0329 » Post

Writable paper, Mailboxes, and Mesecons would be awesome.

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

benrob0329 wrote:Writable paper, Mailboxes, and Mesecons would be awesome.
The mod mesecons is too heavy for a vanilla game. It is a better choice to let the players decise which mods they want to install.
How about adding a formspec to the craftitem "default:paper" (like it was done with the book) to write a short sentence on it?
Additionally, a mail box should be added, so the players can receive their christmas gifts.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

benrob0329

by benrob0329 » Post

What about 3d armor/shields/weildview? Oh, and Rainbow Ore looks pretty cool!

firefox
In-game: Red_Fox

by firefox » Post

xdecor is also very promising
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

Minetestforfun
GitHub: MinetestForFun
IRC: MinetestForFun
In-game: MinetestForFun

by Minetestforfun » Post

firefox wrote:xdecor is also very promising
+1

benrob0329

by benrob0329 » Post

The decor half, but it has more than just decor, and not everyone agrees with the whole enchanting thing...

krilin
GitHub: krilin
IRC: krilin
In-game: krilin

by krilin » Post

there is a new development version. will include a more complete configuration tab. check the news section.