Creative mode memory use question

redblade7
IRC: redneonglow redblade7
In-game: redblade7 redblade7_owner

Creative mode memory use question

by redblade7 » Post

Hi,

As administrator of a Creative Mode server (THE TERRARIUM), is it more "polite" memory-use-wise to have less objects in the game (i.e. by throwing the other 98 of an object out via unified_inventory/unified_inventory_lite) or will things be worse? I know adding possible objects to the inventory via mods takes up memory, but will actually having large amounts of these objects in the game take up unnecessary memory for everyone else?

Thank you!
-redblade7, admin of: THE CREATIVE GARDENS (creative), THE VALLEYS (sandbox), and THE DIGITAL FARMS (farming/hunger/shops)

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

Re: Creative mode memory use question

by Krock » Post

You should find the optimal balance between the variety and data amount.
Some servers throw heavy mods in, like ambience (much sound data) or wallpapers (much image data), which causes long loading times and a high memory use on client-side.
If you look from server-side, it's more important to check if the mods do many node updates (technic, mesecons) which result in a higher CPU usage.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

redblade7
IRC: redneonglow redblade7
In-game: redblade7 redblade7_owner

by redblade7 » Post

Krock wrote:You should find the optimal balance between the variety and data amount.
Some servers throw heavy mods in, like ambience (much sound data) or wallpapers (much image data), which causes long loading times and a high memory use on client-side.
If you look from server-side, it's more important to check if the mods do many node updates (technic, mesecons) which result in a higher CPU usage.
I meant to ask, with creative mode, if you click on something you get 99 of it, if you do that too much and put 99 of lots of stuff in storage somewhere or drop them on the ground, does that increase memory use for everyone else. For example, taking 99 refrigerators, putting one down, and adding 99 cabinets and the other 98 refrigerators inside the refrigerator. If I was to subsequently delete the 99 cabinets and 98 refrigerators rather than store them, would it make things faster and use less memory for everyone else?
-redblade7, admin of: THE CREATIVE GARDENS (creative), THE VALLEYS (sandbox), and THE DIGITAL FARMS (farming/hunger/shops)

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

redblade7 wrote:<snip>
This minimal memory use is irrelevant. You can ingore this if the screen isn't filled with dropped items and/or mobs.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>