[Server] Capture the Flag Server

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

Re: [0.4.13-dev] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!)

by rubenwardy » Post

Added a league table (/rankings) and end of match summaries:

Also:
  • readded furnaces
  • added a 7 minute time limit to flag pick ups
  • fixed "Team X won!" messages being hidden by "player joined team X" messages.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Minetest Sam

by Minetest Sam » Post

rubenwardy wrote:Added a league table (/rankings) and end of match summaries:

Also:
  • readded furnaces
  • added a 7 minute time limit to flag pick ups
  • fixed "Team X won!" messages being hidden by "player joined team X" messages.
Here are somethings that you can add in your server
1) colours on players name so it is easy to find who is in your team and who is not.
2) A hub
3)Different kinds of maps which players can vote and choose
4) Food for regen
5) and can you change the place of flag as we need to cover it and people also spawn there,so, can you change the spawn and make sure flag is not very near to the spawn so we can cover it.
6) Also add a kind of chest refil which fills itself after a certain period of time like 5 minutes or 6 minutes

And overall it is a nice server and seeing its new its very good.
I hope you implement these things in your server.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

1) I originally did this, but it was too easy to see enemies approaching, and people didn't like that.
2) I don't know what you mean by a hub.
3) This is rather technically hard to do, but I would like to do eventually
4) You can use apples - maybe health packs would be a more realistic items
5) You're supposed to build walls around it - if the defenders are good then it's a little harder to attack. I'm planning on moving the spawn position.
6) You're supposed to go exploring for more materials, there are treasure chests around the map. I think that having finite resources makes it harder and better - if everyone had machine guns I don't think it would be as fun (I like being able to find rare things in chests)

Hello profile reader

Minetest Sam

by Minetest Sam » Post

A hub means where people spawn and then choose their map(in the they want to play)
A hub also provides a selection where people can choose their kits like leather armor,chain armor and iron armor
They can buy those kits by killing people. Like for leather they need to kill 50 people and for chain they need to kill 200.
And you can also make people choose their kit like there can be three kits defender,builder and attacker. It will their choice which kit they want to pick.
And everyone spawns with different materials like builder spawns with building blocks and a pickaxe , defender spawns with gun and attacker spawns with sword, a stone pickaxe and a and gun.
By this way people will have some work to do and not rather just go for an attack or just defend

prof-turbo

by prof-turbo » Post

2) A hub would break the simplicity. When you go to this server, you play, no waiting time. And that's what many players want.
3) Many maps would mean many players or much more work to do. Actually the server is pretty weak so it can't have many players connected at the same time, and many things can make it lag. Also, a great single map is better than many little maps. Let's first focus on one.
4) This would make it too hard to kill the flag man. This server is not about survive, not as Hunger Games servers.

6) I agree with the idea of "team chests"

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

We already have the chests, just not refilling ones.

There is a lot of room to optimise the server - I've already made the map access 50x faster. I don't see any lag with 16 players, I'm in England and the server is in the Netherlands. I have 90 Mbps though, so a little biased, and some players may be in America. I'd like to see better serverside optimisation for Minetest. The host is on digital ocean and costs $10 a month - I got $50 free credit from GitHub's student pack. If some is able to recommend a better host or donate money then please do :)

Hello profile reader

TemaX
IRC: TemaX
In-game: TemaX

by TemaX » Post

I was banned, reason is "excessive hogging", what is mean?
and where the rules that i can read to not banned next time?

Minetest Sam

by Minetest Sam » Post

Damn,Ruben I am trying to play Capture the flag but it seems that you server has too many clients seems like people are loving it.

Alienant1
In-game: alienant1 or alienant2

by Alienant1 » Post

I think that excessive hogging means you held the flag for too long without capturing
Merry Christmas Everyone!!!

IceAgeComing

by IceAgeComing » Post

Very fun server, but can get frustrating very often when people keep griefing/sabotaging their own base.
It happens all the time
People using shotgun to keep shooting their own base walls, using pick to break every last piece of wall, etc.
Times like this i feel like ragequitting :).
But i do love the server.
Last edited by IceAgeComing on Sat Dec 05, 2015 16:57, edited 1 time in total.

Kpenguin
IRC: Kpenguin
In-game: Kpenguin

by Kpenguin » Post

IceAgeComing wrote:Very fun server, but can get frustrating very often when people keep griefing/sabotaging their own base.
It happens all the time
People using shotgun to keep shooting their own base walls, using pick to break every last piece of wall, etc.
Aimes like this i feel like ragequitting :).
Yes, we need more moderators to deal with such types. There have been one or two people swearing as well.
All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

prof-turbo

by prof-turbo » Post

Swearing and spamming can be avoided with some mods/IRC bots

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

I typed a long post, but it got deleted when I accidentally closed the tab (to clear up tabs)...
IceAgeComing wrote:Very fun server, but can get frustrating very often when people keep griefing/sabotaging their own base.
It happens all the time
Aimes like this i feel like ragequitting :).
I've been away for the last 28 hours, so haven't had a to moderate. I've just dealt with the sabateurs IceAgeComing mentioned - m****s has been perma-banned.
TemaX wrote:I was banned, reason is "excessive hogging", what is mean?
and where the rules that i can read to not banned next time?
It was a 1 day temp-ban for flag hogging, multiple times, in excess of 2 hours. I've changed my mind and I think that if the game lets you do that, then you can do that (with the exception of sabotage and obvious exploitation of bugs). In any case, a warning would have been a much more suitable, so I apologise for temp-banning. I'm new to this :P. I've since made it so you drop the flag after 7 minutes.
Minetest Sam wrote:Damn,Ruben I am trying to play Capture the flag but it seems that you server has too many clients seems like people are loving it.
Even if my server could support it, I feel like more than 20 players would be too much. I could set up a place to donate, to pay for more servers - for example, I like the idea of a more medieval / fantasy CTF game. And there's also the City vs City game I've been planning for a long time.
Kpenguin wrote:Yes, we need more moderators to deal with such types. There have been one or two people swearing as well.
The server is now on an IRC channel, #minetest-ctf on irc.inchra.net, which will mean I can easily moderate whilst not playing the game. I am also still looking for moderators.

Hello profile reader

prof-turbo

by prof-turbo » Post

I have to edit what I said. Swearing is part of the players language. Avoiding it would surely permit to kick rude people but would also kick many players for a "Fuck it" or a "Shit". Even if they're insulting theirself, it's part of the game.

But spam is something that should be avoided. I think that there should be a mute mod that removes the "shout" right to players writing a too long sentence (e.g : 400 characters) or writing it too fast (e.g : 5 sentences in 5 seconds) or writing several times the same thing (e.g : 4 times in 60 seconds).

Some problems I had :
- I think you should enable fast which is on every client (phones/computers) and set it's speed to something like 2 * walkspeed.
- I think you should disable server security. It just rollbacks players that are lagging, which is to me a bad point (e.g : When you walk to another part of the map and get rollbacked to the flag).
- I think we should have a fixed seed, with fixed trees, but not fixed chests. This should avoid most of the lags we encountered recently ( Also this creates server lag AND client lag, when generating a new map ).

Thanks for reading :)

Edit :

Some players named Katniss_Everdeen and Madeleine could not connect to the server because of "sexual content" in their name. If it could be fixed... ;)
For the anti-spam feature, it could become important because of some players I saw recently, so if anyone has tips to make this mod/feature on the IRC-bot or in the server mods...

HeavyTruth
GitHub: nonofyourbuisnees
IRC: PEWPEW
In-game: Bang

by HeavyTruth » Post

prof-turbo wrote:I have to edit what I said. Swearing is part of the players language. Avoiding it would surely permit to kick rude people but would also kick many players for a "Fuck it" or a "Shit". Even if they're insulting theirself, it's part of the game.

But spam is something that should be avoided. I think that there should be a mute mod that removes the "shout" right to players writing a too long sentence (e.g : 400 characters) or writing it too fast (e.g : 5 sentences in 5 seconds) or writing several times the same thing (e.g : 4 times in 60 seconds).

Some problems I had :
- I think you should enable fast which is on every client (phones/computers) and set it's speed to something like 2 * walkspeed.
- I think you should disable server security. It just rollbacks players that are lagging, which is to me a bad point (e.g : When you walk to another part of the map and get rollbacked to the flag).
- I think we should have a fixed seed, with fixed trees, but not fixed chests. This should avoid most of the lags we encountered recently ( Also this creates server lag AND client lag, when generating a new map ).

Thanks for reading :)

Edit :

Some players named Katniss_Everdeen and Madeleine could not connect to the server because of "sexual content" in their name. If it could be fixed... ;)
For the anti-spam feature, it could become important because of some players I saw recently, so if anyone has tips to make this mod/feature on the IRC-bot or in the server mods...
i know Katniss_Everdeen from skyblock server we just met in just 3 week ago.. pretty long. But yea.. I dont undersstand her name has no sexual content
TUP TU TA DI DIRP DERP TU TU TUT TUT TU TA DI DERP DERP :DD
LoL

BlueFireIceUn
In-game: BlueFireUn

by BlueFireIceUn » Post

server is too much lagging. What wrong?
Blue who loves you all but mostly someone :)

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

prof-turbo wrote:Some players named Katniss_Everdeen and Madeleine could not connect to the server because of "sexual content" in their name. If it could be fixed... ;)
The complete ban message was "sexual content" and didn't mention about their name.
Katniss_Everdeen was originally banned as "Ssms". They were basically asking for sex from other players.
Looking at the logs, ssms/Katniss_Everdeen also tried to circumvent her ban. The ban expires on the 9th, as it was probably a one off joke.

Madeleine was originally banned as "myms". They joined the game and immediately started swearing and asking who wants to date them. The ban message was "Swearing, dating, obviously violating rules on purpose".
Looking at the logs, myms/Madeleine also tried to circumvent her ban. The ban is a perma-ban, as I don't want these sorts of players that go out of their way to break the rules.
prof-turbo wrote:I have to edit what I said. Swearing is part of the players language. Avoiding it would surely permit to kick rude people but would also kick many players for a "Fuck it" or a "Shit". Even if they're insulting theirself, it's part of the game.
The aim of moderation is to make the server a better environment for others. I understand swearing in frustration, I've done it before on server. Both before I started moderating, and during the day I was away, I got complaints like these:

<SomeParent> my son is seven. is there better place where he doesn't see bad words?

Hello profile reader

IceAgeComing

by IceAgeComing » Post

There is a player called cute-boy with speedhack on right now.
Spoils the fun.
You can ask some other players too if you need confirmation of his actions....

BlueFireIceUn

by BlueFireIceUn » Post

IceAgeComing wrote:There is a player called cute-boy with speedhack on right now.
Spoils the fun.
You can ask some other players too if you need confirmation of his actions....
Yeah, IceAgeComing is right. He had like infinite sprint, I think that cause he can "fly" and goes so fast

Kpenguin
IRC: Kpenguin
In-game: Kpenguin

by Kpenguin » Post

I would like to have some sort of way to mute specific players in the chat. htur and horses have been chatting nonsense and it's starting to annoy me. I've asked them to kindly stop, but they usually give me the :P emoji in response.
I agree with what Prof-Turbo said about spam chatting.

Keep on making the server better Ruben.
Kpenguin
All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

You can use /ignore username
Also, check your PMs on the forum, Kpenguin.

Thomas-S is now a moderator.

Hello profile reader

BlueFireIceUn

by BlueFireIceUn » Post

There is another guy using same cheat than cute-boy. It's HitMan and he did it many times

Minetest Sam

by Minetest Sam » Post

deleted
Last edited by Minetest Sam on Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:40, edited 1 time in total.

BlueFireIceUn

by BlueFireIceUn » Post

Oh My God, now people thinks I'm cheating -_- Guys, I don't fly, I jumped. He kills too fast, I didn't one shot, I hit you 3 times with iron sword. I don't go too fast, I followed UltimateNoob but never touched him so stop say I cheat

Minetest Sam

by Minetest Sam » Post

deleted
Last edited by Minetest Sam on Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:40, edited 1 time in total.