[Game] Survival 0.1

Nathan.S
GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21

[Game] Survival 0.1

by Nathan.S » Post

I've started work on a new game, which is survival themed, think along the lines of Naked and Afraid or Bear Grylls. You start with just some basic supplies and need to survive. In the finished version you'll have to cook food and purify water to survive. Currently you can drink any water and even when you run out of water you can't easily die as the health bar replenishes from your food faster than the dehydration lowers it.

This game is in very early stages of infancy. I updated when I can, but recently built my own website so I'm spending a lot of time working on that.

Spoiler
mods included:
Spoiler
3d_armor
ambience
beacon
beds
bees
boats
bones
bucket
compassgps
creative
crops
denseores
doors
dye
farming
fire
flowers
food
furniture
gate
give_initial_stuff
glow
goblins
hiking
hud
hunger
intersecting
item_drop
mobs
more_fire
mymonths
mytreasure
pathv6alt
plantlife_modpack
railcorridors
screwdriver
sethome
soil
stairs
survival
thirsty
trail
unified_inventory
valleys_mapgen
vessels
walking_light
wool
xpanes
Due to the extensive changes I've made and have planned, many mods may not work with this game. If there is some certain mod you'd like me to add let me know in the comments.

Known problems:
Smokers don't smoke food.
You can't get sick from eating raw or spoiled meat.
There is no penalty for drinking dirty water.
many textures look out of place.

Planned things:
More fruit trees.
An option to play a zombie themed or wilderness themed game. Zombie theme would have made up creatures and ruins.
Major overhaul of textures.
Rewriting of many mods to have better layouts. IE, taking all soils and putting them in one mod, all foods in a mod, etc.
Stamina, probably one of the existing mods.
Close knit integration of hunger, thirst, stamina and health.
Spoiling, meats will go bad without being cooked, grasses will dry out, fruits will shrivel and mold.

License:
See individual mods for their licenses. Most are WTFPL or CC-by-SA or CC0

Download:
Browse the code: https://github.com/NathanSalapat/Survival_game
Download zip: https://github.com/NathanSalapat/Surviv ... master.zip
Attachments
Snares for catching animals
Snares for catching animals
snares.png (539.66 KiB) Viewed 2543 times
grass gone crazy
grass gone crazy
outofcontrolgrass.png (847.95 KiB) Viewed 2543 times
A path worn in the grass
A path worn in the grass
apath.png (452.52 KiB) Viewed 2543 times
Last edited by Nathan.S on Wed Mar 14, 2018 02:33, edited 6 times in total.
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website, and brand new Minetest Modding Course

Betta
In-game: Betta

Re: [Game] Survival 0.0.1

by Betta » Post

Screens pls :)

Nathan.S

by Nathan.S » Post

Added a couple images, for some reason they display too wide, seems to be a forum wide issue though.
Nothing too special in the pictures as I haven't gotten much developed yet that has new textures.

linushsao
IRC: linushsao
In-game: linus

by linushsao » Post

Wow...what a beautiful landscape.many kinds of plant. could this game work with inventory_plus mod?

Nathan.S

by Nathan.S » Post

Sorry about the delay in responding. Yes, inventory_plus will work with this subgame.

Nathan.S

by Nathan.S » Post

I got the traps working, you can now free your captures which spawns the mob, or you can butcher the game, which adds meat to your inventory. I still need to tweak things so the meat amounts are more on par with what you would actually get, and need to make the hides as well. Anything can be used as bait, but not everything will attract animals, plant materials work best for small game, which is all the traps currently are for.

Nathan.S

by Nathan.S » Post

a few more tweaks to the traps, they need to have some flora growing around them to trap anything, so you won't catch anything in barren caves or deserts. That needs to be changed, and will probably be my next goal. Meat will now catch warthogs, I do need to create inventory images for all the mobs that can be caught so we aren't getting eggs showing. I'd still like to figure out how to show the different animals being caught in the traps, that's pretty low on my list of priorities though.

Nathan.S

by Nathan.S » Post

I haven't posted any updates in quite some time, but I've been doing small changes as I've been progressing through my lets play of this subgame.

Traps have been updated so you can catch some of the new mobs that have been added.
I went through all the mobs and increased their drops, and changed the drops of a few mobs. I also added more nodes for them to spawn on, so the nodes from Valleys_mapgen can trigger mob spawns.
Thirst and hunger speeds have been greatly increased, so you actually have to pay attention to water. Hunger levels need more messing with I expect.
Bushes from the plants_modpack should spawn a little more frequently, as I've added some of the VM nodes to those lists as well.
Bees mod was added so honey is now available to harvest and eat. I will be adding more food recipes in the coming weeks as I get the bushes actually to show up.
I changed which version of Goblins I was using, so it now requires the mobsredo mod, which I'm using for all the other mobs.
Kittens are evil now, and will try and kill you. Throughout my playing I've been pretending that they are wildcats, and well now they are.

There could be other things, take a peak at the changelog.txt on github for more information.

As always all the links are in the main post.

Nathan.S

Re: [Game] Survival 0.1

by Nathan.S » Post

The subgame should be very playable at this point. There is still a lot of tweaking to do, but I don't think there should be any random crashes.

As always download links are in the OP.

Valkaiser

by Valkaiser » Post

Greetings, I have been puttering around with this and following your LP.
I have noticed that apples disappear just as I reach the tree, I also saw it happening in your LP. Is this a known thing?
I had trouble updating from your repo a few days ago, it seems the memorandum mod is a subproject, but I couldn't pull it in with "git submodule update" or "git clone --recursive" in a fresh folder. Eventually I pulled it down separately and copied it over. I am not experienced with git, so I might be doing it wrong.
Anyways, been having fun with it, thanks for the effort.

Nathan.S

by Nathan.S » Post

Thanks for the feedback.
The apples will disappear in the winter, spring and early summer months, as part of the months mod. All plants will at some point run with the months of the year. Apples are the only thing that due that currently.

I think I should have fixed that memorandum problem, I had left some of the .git stuff in that directory that shouldn't have been there, the latest updates should have that fixed.

typing the command date will display the current day in the chat.

Valkaiser

by Valkaiser » Post

Hi.
Nathan.S wrote:The apples will disappear in the winter, spring and early summer months, as part of the months mod. All plants will at some point run with the months of the year. Apples are the only thing that due that currently.
Ah, cool idea. Just confusing that they disappear right when I try to grab them.
Nathan.S wrote:I think I should have fixed that memorandum problem, I had left some of the .git stuff in that directory that shouldn't have been there, the latest updates should have that fixed.
It still doesn't work for me.
I get error:
fatal: no submodule mapping found in .gitmodules for path 'mods/memorandum'

I think you are missing the .gitmodules file?
I added a .gitmodules file to root dir with contents:
[submodule "mods/memorandum"]
path = mods/memorandum
url = git://github.com/Mossmanikin/memorandum.git

Then it worked for me. Cheers.

Nathan.S

by Nathan.S » Post

I'll have to fix that. The mod actually isn't even needed for the subgame, and I only added it so I could use one of the nodes in my LP, which I then ended up just using a book for because the letter that it created wouldn't display wrapped text.

Valkaiser

by Valkaiser » Post

Hiya.
I got this error on two separate occasions whilst running one commit ago.
Both occurred after triggering a sand or gravel cave-in. I was unable to continue until I deleted the pathogen mod, moved away from the location, and added it back.
Attachments
MinetestPathogenError.png
MinetestPathogenError.png (27.89 KiB) Viewed 2543 times

Nathan.S

by Nathan.S » Post

That's odd, I didn't think the pathogen mod was even doing anything at the moment. I want to make eating raw food get you sick, but I haven't been able to figure out how the pathogen mod works to add a disease or to make somebody get sick. I may just remove it for the time being, thanks for the heads up.

Nathan.S

by Nathan.S » Post

Update:

I've removed the pathogen mod, as I haven't gotten it to work yet with spoiled foods and food poisoning, which is why I wanted it in the first place.

Berry bushes from the plantlife_modpack now spawn, took a while to figure that one out, but they are working now, the bushes will only grow fruits in the summer months.

I've made a few other small changes here and there also.

linushsao
IRC: linushsao
In-game: linus

by linushsao » Post

Nathan.S wrote:Update:

I've removed the pathogen mod, as I haven't gotten it to work yet with spoiled foods and food poisoning, which is why I wanted it in the first place.

Berry bushes from the plantlife_modpack now spawn, took a while to figure that one out, but they are working now, the bushes will only grow fruits in the summer months.

I've made a few other small changes here and there also.
really cool work,i love this sub game. it will be interesting to face the pathogen or something which could trouble me in minetest. how about mudslide mod(seems available in sub-forum of "mods")? even it will cause me sometime to clean my home...XD

and may i ask a question, what "LP" mean?

Pablo.R

by Pablo.R » Post

Nathan.S wrote:Update:

I think the error submitted by Valkaiser is because there is a problem with the "Gravititus" demo disease of pathogen mod with the falling nodes. Maybe if you remove only this pathogen...

But if you only want a simple disease associated to food or other conditions, I do a little test with the pathogen mode removing all diseases and adding a "flu" disease based on influenza. You can test it with the attached code, if you enter in water between 20:00 and 04:00 you must caught flu and start to cought every 10 second or so.
Attachments
diseases.zip
Simple test of pathogen mod library (fixed)
(264.36 KiB) Downloaded 153 times

Nathan.S

by Nathan.S » Post

Sorry for not responding sooner. I don't check this thread as often as I should. I'm glad to hear you enjoy the game.

LP stands for Lets Play, it what we youtuber call it when we record ourselves playing games.

I shall take a look at your code for the flu. I'd really like to get pathogens back into the game, but was just too stupid to figure out how they work. Maybe with a working example I'll be able to add some more things to make surviving a little more challenging.

Pablo.R

by Pablo.R » Post

Don't worry, I really like the concept of this subgame and want to see the future progress, so keep the good work.

I only have little free time now, but if you have a problem with LUA you can post it in this thread with a little explain of what you want, I will try to check and a fix it for you.

Nathan.S

by Nathan.S » Post

thanks.

Pablo.R

by Pablo.R » Post

Nathan, I add a gastroenteritis example that activates when the player eat raw meat (from mobs) to my test of the pathogen library. May be it can be of help.

In my next free time, I am thinking to fix that the pathogen library not save the diseases to player data yet, so when exit and reload the game the disease not dissapear.
Attachments
diseases_20160413_2107.zip
Simple Test of pathogen lib (flu and gastroenteritis)
(266.08 KiB) Downloaded 149 times

Nathan.S

by Nathan.S » Post

I really need to get back into developing this game. Maybe next weekend I'll have some free time.
I want to try out these new pathogens that you've written up, and maybe figure out how to do some of my own. So many things I want to do and so little time.

Pablo.R

by Pablo.R » Post

Well this take more time that I think, but now the pathogen library save the player infections to persistent player data when the player leave the game and load them when the player join the game. I have a lot of joy with all that I have to learn to do it, thanks to all the people that make Minetest possible.

It take more time because first I save the data to a file (world directory) because the data structure of the pathogen library API make it easy, but later I think that was better save the infections/diseases to the persistent player data, but to do this was necessary a change in the data structure of the pathogen library API to simplify it (also I do some code clean, but is not finished yet) so now the API in the diseases mod is not compatible with the original. Also now the API can manage a reinfect call (reset the symptom counter to zero) so is not necessary check it in the disease before infect the player.

Now, I need to do more testing of the diseases mod (to look for errors), code clean, and add other examples of diseases, but also want to fix some errors and odd things that I have in the survival subgame.

Thanks, since I discover this subgame I only play with it, and now in my computer I have a copy without some mods that generate memory errors and performance problems (I lost functionality but win stability), and some minor changes that I was testing.

Note: Sorry for my english (it is not my native language).
Attachments
diseases_20160426_2357.zip
Fork of pathogen lib with persistent player data (flu and gastroenteritis examples)
(266.84 KiB) Downloaded 156 times

Pablo.R

by Pablo.R » Post

I fix some bugs in the dead player logic of the pathogen mod so I upload a new fixed version.
Attachments
diseases20160508_2320.zip
Fork of pathogen lib with persistent player data (flu and gastroenteritis examples)
(266.9 KiB) Downloaded 169 times