What purpose of duplicate items?

xeranas

What purpose of duplicate items?

by xeranas » Post

Why there are 2 beds, 2 glasses doors/planes/blocks 2 chest. If I wanna different look for a glass plane I should use texture pack. If I mad about glass planes I should use mod which includes all rainbow collors. One chest is locked but it makes no sence such feature when I play singleplayer. Futhermore it would be more sence to have item "key" which makes thinks locked and not each node two versions "locked and unlocked" for servers. 6! weapon types where difference between each is very thin is questionable how much value gives to gameplay those "fillers" - it certain adds more pain for texture creators.

RealBadAngel

Re: What purpose of duplicate items?

by RealBadAngel » Post

I also vote for having only one node in world. For what do we need all those dirt, cobble, stone, wood ones?
Texturing them all is indeed pain in the ass.

gamemanj
GitHub: gamemanj
IRC: gamemanj
In-game: gamemanj

by gamemanj » Post

RealBadAngel wrote:I also vote for having only one node in world. For what do we need all those dirt, cobble, stone, wood ones?
Texturing them all is indeed pain in the ass.
Why do we even need one node? Why can't we just make the whole world out of "air" and CONTENT_IGNORE? Or just allow players to float?
(EDIT: Actually, why do we have players? They need texturing, too! Abstract floating entities, without names. No impersonation since nobody has an identity!)
TODO: Something that gives me a reason to put something in the signature

Napiophelios
GitHub: Napiophelios
IRC: Nappi
In-game: Nappi

by Napiophelios » Post

xeranas wrote:Why there are 2 beds, 2 glasses doors/planes/blocks 2 chest. If I wanna different look for a glass plane I should use texture pack. If I mad about glass planes I should use mod which includes all rainbow collors. One chest is locked but it makes no sence such feature when I play singleplayer. Futhermore it would be more sence to have item "key" which makes thinks locked and not each node two versions "locked and unlocked" for servers. 6! weapon types where difference between each is very thin is questionable how much value gives to gameplay those "fillers" - it certain adds more pain for texture creators.
For the most part, its decoration and having a choice in them.
I think it would just be over complicating things to have certain nodes
like locked doors and chests hidden for singleplayer mode.

I dont play pvp or multiplayer very often so I cant say much about the difference in the weapons,
but the differences in mining tools isnt quite so thin when you are deep underground and you
run into nodes your stone or steel pick just cant break.

As it is I think the game is fairly balanced when it comes to tool comparisons,
but its not very difficult if you view it as a survival game.

Its up to game makers to create the challenges for specific gaming modes such as pvp or rpg or survival;
I view Minetest game as a sandbox building game that best serves as an example of how things work
to be used by others when making their own games.
Its my constant reference when I hit a problem while working on my own stuff,
and I think thats kinda how it was originally intended to be used.

Its still a very good game on its own and I believe others are trying to make it more of a playable game
as opposed to an example of a game.

benrob0329
GitHub: Benrob0329
IRC: benrob0329
In-game: benrob03

by benrob0329 » Post

Why are there multiple types of items? Because there are, and we like it that way.

xeranas

by xeranas » Post

gamemanj wrote:Why do we even need one node? Why can't we just make the whole world out of "air" and CONTENT_IGNORE? Or just allow players to float?
Don't need to be on edge, we talking about duplicates - same purpose items which differs only by texture and only about minetest_game scope.

So what I heard so far here they are woopsy copies probably made by enthusiastic community member or extra "flavors" of items made by mod developer who originaly did not expect that its mod will end up as one of the core mod of default game.

I do not plan remove those items from vanilla mintest_game (I could not even if I wanted, there are gate keepers). I'm just trying to understand what idea was behind those game design decisions. I'm thinking about creating my own subgame and its dificult to do it without removing half stuff from "default". So maybe I'm wrong thinking that way, maybe subgames are suppose to be same as minetest_game with few extra mods and different texture pack at least it looks like it was designed that way.

yyt16384
GitHub: yyt16384
IRC: yyt16384
In-game: yyt16384

by yyt16384 » Post

You can't have both kinds in one world if you use texture packs.

And hiding some content in singleplayer is not a good idea. Some mods may treat them differently, and players will have to run a server locally to use it.

benrob0329

by benrob0329 » Post

Texture packs don't change the items....that change the texture...

So the Obsidian glass is a decorative item (a second kind of glass, also gives a use to obsidian), Locked Chests/Iron Doors are for multiplayer/they look different, and the two beds are decorative.

Minetest vanilla is a sandbox game, we like options!

prof-turbo

by prof-turbo » Post

Why don't you drink only water what purpose of duplicate drinks ? Because it's good to have several tastes ?
Jeez you want to a high level dude

Dragonop
GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

by Dragonop » Post

benrob0329 wrote:two beds are decorative.
No, you can skip the night with those beds.

benrob0329

by benrob0329 » Post

@Dragonop I know, but the reason there are two beds is for decoration.

Dragonop
GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

by Dragonop » Post

@benrob0329 ah, sorry, I missunderstood because you said "two beds are decorative", instead of "one of the beds is decorative"