[Mod]Lightning[lightning] (weather|environment|fire)

sofar
Developer
Posts: 2132
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 07:31
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

[Mod]Lightning[lightning] (weather|environment|fire)

by sofar » Post

Have a scare with lightning!

Lightning strikes happen randomly above ground, set blocks on fire, and possibly change sand into glass, tree trunks into coal, and more! The mod contains several textures and sounds. When lightning strikes, the entire sky is lit up brightly!

https://github.com/minetest-mods/lightning

License: LGPL-2.1+ / CC-BY-SA

Dependencies: fire, default

Screenshots:

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Last edited by sofar on Sat Jan 16, 2016 20:05, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
duane
Member
Posts: 1632
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 19:11
GitHub: duane-r
Location: Oklahoma City
Contact:

Re: [Mod]Lightning[Weather,environment,fire]

by duane » Post

Ooooooo. Pretty!

Is there a "/strike <username>" command in work?
Believe in people and you don't need to believe anything else.

User avatar
mahmutelmas06
Member
Posts: 367
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 13:10
GitHub: mahmutelmas06
IRC: mahmutelmas06
In-game: masum

Re: [Mod]Lightning[Weather,environment,fire]

by mahmutelmas06 » Post

Nice mod.
Would be much better if Lightning appears when the weather is rainy if mymonths installed.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13639
My Mods:

Beverage

sofar
Developer
Posts: 2132
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 07:31
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

Re: [Mod]Lightning[Weather,environment,fire]

by sofar » Post

mahmutelmas06 wrote:Nice mod.
Would be much better if Lightning appears when the weather is rainy if mymonths installed.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13639
Send patches.

sofar
Developer
Posts: 2132
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 07:31
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

Re: [Mod]Lightning[Weather,environment,fire]

by sofar » Post

duane wrote:Ooooooo. Pretty!

Is there a "/strike <username>" command in work?
That's easily doable. Who do you have it in for?

User avatar
iangp
Member
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 19:26
GitHub: 14NGiestas
IRC: iangp
In-game: iangp
Location: Brasil - ES

Re: [Mod]Lightning[Weather,environment,fire]

by iangp » Post

+1 for that ^o^
God's not dead, He's surely alive!
エル プサイ コングルー

My mods (WIP):


User avatar
cd2
Member
Posts: 562
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 06:30
GitHub: cdqwertz
In-game: cd cd2
Location: Linux
Contact:

Re: [Mod]Lightning[Weather,environment,fire]

by cd2 » Post

that looks great!

Ivà
Member
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2015 07:11
GitHub: melzua
IRC: melzua
In-game: melzua
Location: Catalonia

Re: [Mod]Lightning[Weather,environment,fire]

by Ivà » Post

duane wrote:Ooooooo. Pretty!

Is there a "/strike <username>" command in work?
XDDD +1

User avatar
stu
Member
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 02:51
GitHub: stujones11
Location: United Kingdom

Re: [Mod]Lightning[Weather,environment,fire]

by stu » Post

I really like this mod, very interesting use of the particles. I can imagine HV tesla coils, plasma balls and the like being possible too. It's a real shame the particles cannot emit light, but I doubt that will ever be possible with the current lighting model.
duane wrote:Is there a "/strike <username>" command in work?
+1 It should require a 'god' or 'thor' privilege ;-)

sofar
Developer
Posts: 2132
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 07:31
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

Re: [Mod]Lightning[Weather,environment,fire]

by sofar » Post

stu wrote:I really like this mod, very interesting use of the particles. I can imagine HV tesla coils, plasma balls and the like being possible too. It's a real shame the particles cannot emit light, but I doubt that will ever be possible with the current lighting model.
duane wrote:Is there a "/strike <username>" command in work?
+1 It should require a 'god' or 'thor' privilege ;-)
tenplus1 posted an issue/feature request for this a while back.

I've just pushed a change that will "light up the sky" briefly. Try it out.

User avatar
Diamond knight
Member
Posts: 475
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 19:50
GitHub: Diamondknight
In-game: Ferrumprinceps
Location: Chilling in Constantinople
Contact:

Re: [Mod]Lightning[Weather,environment,fire]

by Diamond knight » Post

now i can make a herobrine lightning rod!!! finnally the code i am looking for!!!

sofar
Developer
Posts: 2132
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 07:31
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

Re: [Mod]Lightning[Weather,environment,fire]

by sofar » Post

Updates:

- reduce chance of actual spreading fire by 10. (now 1:1000)
- reduce chance of nodes getting modified (1:10)
- adds a "dying flame" node that does not ignite other nodes
- lightning by default places the "dying flame"
- "dying flame" node destroys itself within a short period

This makes the mod a bit safer, I was noticing a lot of modified nodes in the landscape on my personal server, a bit too much for my liking. Happy striking!

MoNTE48
Member
Posts: 321
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:58
GitHub: MoNTE48
In-game: MoNTE48
Location: Internet

Re: [Mod]Lightning[Weather,environment,fire]

by MoNTE48 » Post

Code: Select all

2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: Runtime error from mod 'lightning' in callback environment_Step(): Runtime error from mod 'lightning' in callback node_on_construct(): ...ktop\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\misc.lua:41: Invalid core.after invocation
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]: 	[C]: in function 'assert'
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]: 	...ktop\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\misc.lua:41: in function 'after'
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]: 	....1.0-win64\bin\..\games\default\files\lightning\init.lua:203: in function <....1.0-win64\bin\..\games\default\files\lightning\init.lua:201>
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]: 	[C]: in function 'set_node'
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]: 	....1.0-win64\bin\..\games\default\files\lightning\init.lua:153: in function 'func'
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]: 	...ktop\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\misc.lua:34: in function <...ktop\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\misc.lua:11>
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]: 	...\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:369: in function <...\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:349>
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]: 	[C]: in function 'set_node'
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]: 	....1.0-win64\bin\..\games\default\files\lightning\init.lua:153: in function 'func'
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]: 	...ktop\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\misc.lua:34: in function <...ktop\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\misc.lua:11>
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]: 	...\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:369: in function <...\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:349>

sofar
Developer
Posts: 2132
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 07:31
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

Re: [Mod]Lightning[Weather,environment,fire]

by sofar » Post

Martin_Devil wrote:

Code: Select all

2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: Runtime error from mod 'lightning' in callback environment_Step(): Runtime error from mod 'lightning' in callback node_on_construct(): ...ktop\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\misc.lua:41: Invalid core.after invocation
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]: 	[C]: in function 'assert'
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]: 	...ktop\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\misc.lua:41: in function 'after'
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]: 	....1.0-win64\bin\..\games\default\files\lightning\init.lua:203: in function <....1.0-win64\bin\..\games\default\files\lightning\init.lua:201>
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]: 	[C]: in function 'set_node'
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]: 	....1.0-win64\bin\..\games\default\files\lightning\init.lua:153: in function 'func'
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]: 	...ktop\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\misc.lua:34: in function <...ktop\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\misc.lua:11>
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]: 	...\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:369: in function <...\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:349>
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]: 	[C]: in function 'set_node'
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]: 	....1.0-win64\bin\..\games\default\files\lightning\init.lua:153: in function 'func'
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]: 	...ktop\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\misc.lua:34: in function <...ktop\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\misc.lua:11>
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]: 	...\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:369: in function <...\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:349>

did you disable the "fire" mod, perhaps?

MoNTE48
Member
Posts: 321
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:58
GitHub: MoNTE48
In-game: MoNTE48
Location: Internet

Re: [Mod]Lightning[Weather,environment,fire]

by MoNTE48 » Post

sofar wrote:
Martin_Devil wrote:

Code: Select all

2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: Runtime error from mod 'lightning' in callback environment_Step(): Runtime error from mod 'lightning' in callback node_on_construct(): ...ktop\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\misc.lua:41: Invalid core.after invocation
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]: 	[C]: in function 'assert'
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]: 	...ktop\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\misc.lua:41: in function 'after'
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]: 	....1.0-win64\bin\..\games\default\files\lightning\init.lua:203: in function <....1.0-win64\bin\..\games\default\files\lightning\init.lua:201>
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]: 	[C]: in function 'set_node'
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]: 	....1.0-win64\bin\..\games\default\files\lightning\init.lua:153: in function 'func'
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]: 	...ktop\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\misc.lua:34: in function <...ktop\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\misc.lua:11>
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]: 	...\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:369: in function <...\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:349>
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]: 	[C]: in function 'set_node'
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]: 	....1.0-win64\bin\..\games\default\files\lightning\init.lua:153: in function 'func'
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]: 	...ktop\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\misc.lua:34: in function <...ktop\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\misc.lua:11>
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]: 	...\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:369: in function <...\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:349>

did you disable the "fire" mod, perhaps?
I use tenplus1 fire mod.

sofar
Developer
Posts: 2132
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 07:31
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

Re: [Mod]Lightning[Weather,environment,fire]

by sofar » Post

Martin_Devil wrote:
sofar wrote:did you disable the "fire" mod, perhaps?
I use tenplus1 fire mod.
I was going to say not to do that. However, the fix is relatively simple. And I've pushed it to git.

So now I'll just say, next time don't do that, and tell me first if you're using modified versions of default mods! ;)

MoNTE48
Member
Posts: 321
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:58
GitHub: MoNTE48
In-game: MoNTE48
Location: Internet

Re: [Mod]Lightning[Weather,environment,fire]

by MoNTE48 » Post

I did not see the code and did not think that there are any problems. I've never even looked what is the difference between minetest_game fire and tenplus1 version. :)

sofar
Developer
Posts: 2132
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 07:31
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

Re: [Mod]Lightning[Weather,environment,fire]

by sofar » Post

Martin_Devil wrote:I did not see the code and did not think that there are any problems. I've never even looked what is the difference between minetest_game fire and tenplus1 version. :)
tenplus1' version removes the fire-sound API - the reason for the crash. What tenplus1 should do is make the API calls available but not do anything, so it's API compatible.

User avatar
TenPlus1
Member
Posts: 2842
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 13:38
GitHub: tenplus1

Re: [Mod]Lightning[Weather,environment,fire]

by TenPlus1 » Post

Latest version of Fire Redo is based on the new default fire mod with redo changes applied and api compatibility: https://github.com/tenplus1/fire

sofar
Developer
Posts: 2132
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 07:31
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

Re: [Mod]Lightning[Weather,environment,fire]

by sofar » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:Latest version of Fire Redo is based on the new default fire mod with redo changes applied and api compatibility: https://github.com/tenplus1/fire
Nice :D

User avatar
linushsao
Member
Posts: 418
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:56
IRC: linushsao
In-game: linus
Location: Taipei,Taiwan(R.O.C)
Contact:

Re: [Mod]Lightning[Weather,environment,fire]

by linushsao » Post

sofar wrote:
duane wrote:Ooooooo. Pretty!

Is there a "/strike <username>" command in work?
That's easily doable. Who do you have it in for?

The angry of GOD?

sofar
Developer
Posts: 2132
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 07:31
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

Re: [Mod]Lightning[Weather,environment,fire]

by sofar » Post

FYI the lightning mod now has an API that makes it easily integrated in other mods.

Now other mods could invoke it to strike players.

User avatar
Don
Member
Posts: 1643
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 18:40
GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

Re: [Mod]Lightning[Weather,environment,fire]

by Don » Post

sofar wrote:FYI the lightning mod now has an API that makes it easily integrated in other mods.

Now other mods could invoke it to strike players.
I add it to mymonths. It makes storms look better.
Love this mod!
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

Sokomine
Member
Posts: 4114
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 17:31
GitHub: Sokomine

Re: [Mod]Lightning[Weather,environment,fire]

by Sokomine » Post

That's a very good idea for survival-based games. Nature becomes more thretening that way (to a degree).
A list of my mods can be found here.

sofar
Developer
Posts: 2132
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 07:31
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

Re: [Mod]Lightning[Weather,environment,fire]

by sofar » Post

FYI I didn't mention this explicitly, but any player that's nearby the place where the lightning strikes will take a significant amount of damage. Not enough to kill a player at full health, but it will kill a player that's low on health.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests