I'm looking for a new server!

ajj
IRC: aj

I'm looking for a new server!

by ajj » Post

Hello all, first time here and I can say I really enjoy playing minetest! My friends and I are currently looking for a server to settle on that is both challenging and has active users. So if anyone knows of a server that has a fairly active user base, is challenging to survive on, and has some sort of market/trading system please make a suggestion. Thank you in advance!

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

Re: I'm looking for a new server!

by TenPlus1 » Post

Xanadu server has all of the above.

BBmine
GitHub: BBmine
IRC: BBmine
In-game: Baggins

by BBmine » Post

Extreme Survival is a great server with a very active admin.

firefox
In-game: Red_Fox

by firefox » Post

i also recommend Xanadu. (because it can never get enough advertisement)
we have a huge colourful world with over 12 different biomes, many monsters and animals with different personalities, lots of decorative blocks and many famous builders.

when you log in, ask for Red_Fox, i will show you around =(^.^)=
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

maikerumine
GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

ESM city is probably right for you!

Don't do ESM TEST it is UBER hard, fyi.
Talamh Survival Minetest-->viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12959

Foghrye4
IRC: Foghrye4
In-game: Foghrye4

I'm looking for a server!

by Foghrye4 » Post

I'm looking for a server as well.
A server with vanilla scatter oregen removed and with vein oregen implemented instead (as in this addon download/file.php?id=5456).
Examples:
http://i.imgur.com/iipBWS2.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ja4FgfQ.png

Also futuristic or industrial themed. Does someone know such server?

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Foghrye4 wrote: I'm looking for a server as well.
A server with vanilla scatter oregen removed and with vein oregen implemented instead (as in this addon download/file.php?id=5456).
Nores mg mapgen used to have such a feature. Adventuretest as well (as it was originally based on Nores mg). None of these currently seem to be used on a server.

If you consider other ore distributions acceptable as well, you might like RealTest. VanessaE runs a server based on it. RealTest has ores in deposits, not veins. If you find such a deposit, you can mine a huge amount of that ore in one go. The stone inbetween does not contain ore.
Foghrye4 wrote: Also futuristic or industrial themed. Does someone know such server?
Most of the nodes call for a more medieval themed world (lots of dirt, cobble, wood as basic materials). There are some servers that might be counted as modern-day, in particular those that run infrastructure or another mod that adds street nodes, i.e. LinuxGaming2 (which is also a very good server for builders in general).

Vein ore distribution sounds logical and more realistic, but IMHO it's not a good choice for a server. As a gameplay element, it just does work a lot better if you get a bit of everything while mining. That still allows you to trade with other players in order to get more of what you currently need. Vein-based servers require a huge amount of players because the ore you found by chance may not be the one you'd like to use - and all good veins around spawn will have been harvested already. With the standard ore distribution pattern, it just doesn't matter exactly where you mine - as long as it's deep enough.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Foghrye4
IRC: Foghrye4
In-game: Foghrye4

by Foghrye4 » Post

Sokomine wrote:Vein-based servers require a huge amount of players because the ore you found by chance may not be the one you'd like to use - and all good veins around spawn will have been harvested already.
Its totally not a problem at all. Parameter "spread = {x = 50, y = 50, z = 50}" controls distributions of veins. A less number - more often you will find a vein, although, less thick vein will be. For example, if you set it to really small number, like 5, ore distribution becomes look alike scatter.

OldCoder

by OldCoder » Post

Sokomine wrote: Nores mg mapgen used to have such a feature. Adventuretest as well (as it was originally based on Nores mg). None of these currently seem to be used on a server.

Actually, the "earthgen" mod that I'm using to generate the Earth in Solartest is descended from "mg" and includes the ore-vein code.

Regarding ores, the default settings in "mg" seemed to produce very little to mine. I'm still adjusting the numbers and haven't ruled out switching back to conventional ore generation.

As a related note, I'm working on new classes of ores, such as:

* Pizza ore and kitten ore. Note: You can mine for pizza in the Solartest asteroid belt presently, but it isn't true ore, since the pizza is already prepared and ready to eat.

* Tameable ores. These will be ore blocks based on RHR's "ccmobs" system that will follow you around. They started as part of a discussion in Lord of the Test. We're not sure of how one would tame an ore, but we think that they might like Periodic Table flavored licorice.