[Server] Xanadu

Dragonop
GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

Re: Xanadu Server

by Dragonop » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:Minetest 0.4.14 has been released so anyone using linux, windows or android please go to http://www.minetest.com/downloads and get from there.
http://www.minetest.net/downloads
ftfy

I am louie
In-game: Crafterlouie - MTLouie

by I am louie » Post

Somehow my mansion is slowly coming into shape :D

Build Hard and LEt your Imagination FLow...

MineTest is the best :D

myster
In-game: myster

by myster » Post

Looks awesome, louie!
ohhh
Hi there,
In the name of Justice! -- Mr. mystery :)

I am louie

by I am louie » Post

myster wrote:Looks awesome, louie!
ohhh
Hi there,

Seems like its been sitting there all this time, waiting for you :D

myster

by myster » Post

Indeed it has :)

YuGiOhJCJ
GitHub: YuGiOhJCJ
IRC: YuGiOhJCJ
In-game: YuGiOhJCJ

by YuGiOhJCJ » Post

Hello, I have just read a rumor on the in-game chat of Minetest while I was on the Xanadu server today: The Xanadu world has been reset!
So, it means that there was an old Xanadu world and currently we are on the new one.
I have checked if that rumor was true on this forum, in the Xanadu Server topic and the first post I found about this world reset was a post from fishyWET at 2014-05-11 06:41 [1].
Some replies after this post confirm that this was a total new start: The map has changed!

As the first post of this topic is from 2014-02-05 11:48 [2], I guess that the server has been reset only 3 months after it was on-line.
The date today is 2016-05-17, so it means that the server has not been reset during 2 years after this old reset.
Well done :)

I have not seen any announcement for this reset from an admin so I am wondering if admins have forgot to do it.
Also, an admin said: "The old map is still saved" [3].
But I have not found the zipped version of this world somewhere so I don't know if he has published it or not after the reset.
As you know, if you have the Minetest-WorldEdit mod and the zipped version of the world, you are able to launch the game in single player mode, save your building in a file to eventually load it later on a server which allow you to use the Minetest-WorldEdit mod.

So, I just want to know if an admin has done the job:
1. Announce a warning about a future reset of the server
2. Publish the old world in order to let old players to backup some of them old buildings

That's an important thing for me because I am a player on this server and this case can still happen with the current version and I would like to know if we can or not rely on the admins in order to never lost our buildings.

Can you give an answer to that please?

Thank you.
Best regards.

[1] viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8494&start=125#p141319
[2] viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8494#p128558
[3] viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8494&start=125#p141621

Bonny

by Bonny » Post

When life gives you lemons, just bake some lemon cupcakes
Dream as if you"ll live forever, eat cupcakes as if you would die today

firefox
In-game: Red_Fox

by firefox » Post

Bonny wrote:Image
ya... i'm very sorry...
(actually i'm not :P )

i created her with my Alchemic Chaos Distill.
by draining some energy from myster's ice crystal, i infused an artificial soul into a cupcake.
i wouldn't say that the experiment failed, it was a clear success (at least for me :P ).

next time i will use more chocolate, this experiment is very promising :3
Last edited by firefox on Tue May 17, 2016 12:48, edited 1 time in total.
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

mystik
GitHub: jasonjayr
In-game: mystik

by mystik » Post

• Map was reset around 2016-03-26
  • Map file was 30gb+ and had significant corruption making it's reuse difficult and unlikely
There were several offers to rehost the map, but primarily due to those above reasons, it was declined. And subsequently to make space for the new map file on the SSD, it was erased, and is no longer available.

I've been assembling pieces of it from mapsave files from various users, and have used my tiny copy to produce this map: http://mt.jjayr.com/mt/mt02-xanadu_old/map. Unless someone has a clean mapsave, any missing data won't reappear.

For future reference, set the "enable_local_map_saving" option to true in your minetest.conf -- this will cause your copy of minetest to accumulate a copy of the map blocks you visit, so anything you build and anything you see in-game will be automatically copied to a sqlite file on your local hard drive. In order to visit your own local copy, you'd have to setup all the lua game files and boot up your own server, but you would have the data to do so.

I'm not a mod/admin, but I've been through this discussion with the admins a few times, and watched a few others do the same.
YuGiOhJCJ wrote:Hello, I have just read a rumor on the in-game chat of Minetest while I was on the Xanadu server today: The Xanadu world has been reset!
So, it means that there was an old Xanadu world and currently we are on the new one.
I have checked if that rumor was true on this forum, in the Xanadu Server topic and the first post I found about this world reset was a post from fishyWET at 2014-05-11 06:41 [1].
Some replies after this post confirm that this was a total new start: The map has changed!

As the first post of this topic is from 2014-02-05 11:48 [2], I guess that the server has been reset only 3 months after it was on-line.
The date today is 2016-05-17, so it means that the server has not been reset during 2 years after this old reset.
Well done :)

I have not seen any announcement for this reset from an admin so I am wondering if admins have forgot to do it.
Also, an admin said: "The old map is still saved" [3].
But I have not found the zipped version of this world somewhere so I don't know if he has published it or not after the reset.
As you know, if you have the Minetest-WorldEdit mod and the zipped version of the world, you are able to launch the game in single player mode, save your building in a file to eventually load it later on a server which allow you to use the Minetest-WorldEdit mod.

So, I just want to know if an admin has done the job:
1. Announce a warning about a future reset of the server
2. Publish the old world in order to let old players to backup some of them old buildings

That's an important thing for me because I am a player on this server and this case can still happen with the current version and I would like to know if we can or not rely on the admins in order to never lost our buildings.

Can you give an answer to that please?

Thank you.
Best regards.

[1] viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8494&start=125#p141319
[2] viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8494#p128558
[3] viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8494&start=125#p141621

auouymous
GitHub: auouymous
IRC: air
In-game: auouymous

by auouymous » Post

mystik wrote:For future reference, set the "enable_local_map_saving" option to true in your minetest.conf -- this will cause your copy of minetest to accumulate a copy of the map blocks you visit
Do you know if that save file can be used as a cache? My base is a really big and the server doesn't send it all when I login, so parts are cut off, until I walk around and my client caches it. The map save would be really useful if the client would load it into cache.

Glorfindel
GitHub: the1glorfindel
IRC: Glorfindel DoomWeaver
In-game: Glorfindel

by Glorfindel » Post

Nope it doesn't. If it did areas that have been changed since last join would still look the same.

auouymous
GitHub: auouymous
IRC: air
In-game: auouymous

by auouymous » Post

Glorfindel wrote:Nope it doesn't. If it did areas that have been changed since last join would still look the same.
It could download the new data from server and overwrite old data in cache. Even better, if server sent timestamp for each section to client, client could save that and send to server for sections around player, then server could save bandwidth by only sending sections that have changed since client last saved them.

Glorfindel
GitHub: the1glorfindel
IRC: Glorfindel DoomWeaver
In-game: Glorfindel

by Glorfindel » Post

Yeah that would be nice. Unfortunately I don't know how to code or I'd submit a pull request or whatever.

mystik

by mystik » Post

The timestamp idea might work only on *lightly* loaded servers. Because as soon as you approach an area, the timers and other ABM's on the server fire, and change the map block.

It'd cause a catch-22: you'd want to use the cache to load areas you're approaching, but as soon as you approach them the server will need to change them. Now, if the server only transmitted block *deltas*, that might save on bandwidth -- but it'd be trading CPU for bandwidth -- and I think MT's primarily slowdown is CPU & local IO, not network.
auouymous wrote:
Glorfindel wrote:Nope it doesn't. If it did areas that have been changed since last join would still look the same.
It could download the new data from server and overwrite old data in cache. Even better, if server sent timestamp for each section to client, client could save that and send to server for sections around player, then server could save bandwidth by only sending sections that have changed since client last saved them.

I am louie

by I am louie » Post

Bonny wrote:Image

I see that another formidable foe has been created...though the real one is more scarier when she turns to bonzilla :D jk..

Minetest Sam

by Minetest Sam » Post

Hey 11,( its hey )
I recommend you to add the moreblocks mod it really helps in building.

firefox
In-game: Red_Fox

by firefox » Post

Minetest Sam wrote:Hey 11,( its hey )
I recommend you to add the moreblocks mod it really helps in building.
xanadu runs it's own exclusive version of more blocks. they are called decorative blocks ;)
if the circular saw is what you want, it will not be added. non-cubic slopes are not everyones favourite and it takes lot of server bandwith.
we have 11's stair+ mod, which adds 2 new stairs and also includes recycling :)
xdecor was up for discussion, but i don't know what happened with it...
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

Kilarin
GitHub: Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

So, I have limited time to play for the rest of the week, and I've been trying to get on Xanadu for half an hour now. "Connection Timed Out"
The universe conspires against me!!!!

myster

by myster » Post

Seems like the server is down. I can't even find it on the public serverlist.
Edit: It is back up. :) YAY

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Notice: Turns out some players are trying to sign into Xanadu using non-standard characters which is causing certain mods to freak out and crash server, a fix will be posted today at some point but until then please use the basic characters for usernames 'abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz1234567890'

~Xhole
IRC: x
In-game: Xhole

by ~Xhole » Post

Error Connection timed out ugh why is this happening :(
~X~

I am louie

by I am louie » Post

Chill Xhole :D...your not the only one who can't connect to Xanadu atm....im been trying to log in for an hour now.

Texan
In-game: Texan

by Texan » Post

Yeah, server seems to be down; but we can all freak out together! :)

And it is back up.
-- Texan :)

minetestjosh

by minetestjosh » Post

I love farming... but it takes 30 mins to farm all this.

mystik

by mystik » Post

minetestjosh wrote:Image

I love farming... but it takes 30 mins to farm all this.
Whoa. I though my corn farm on the old server was big.

I have much to learn ....