[abandoned Mod] Fun Caves [fun_caves]

duane
GitHub: duane-r

Re: [Mod] Fun Caves [fun_caves]

by duane » Post

paramat wrote:See viewtopic.php?p=218419#p218419

I think your heightmap checks may be failing, large caves should not be generated high in the air. The dark air of overgenerated large caves can cause lighiting bugs.
That's probably true. I've already taken all the large cave code out of the mod. Burli's using the original code I cobbled together from the C source and never maintained.
Believe in people and you don't need to believe anything else.

duane

by duane » Post

Deserts were not much fun, so I added small rocks (which can be made into cobble) and a recipe to turn dry shrubs into sticks. I've also added hunger, so I had to add some food to this harsh terrain. Bon apetite.

The code is now faster, but it still develops a lot of lag at times. I think some of that is due to the large number of creatures I have available.
Attachments
fun-caves-32.jpg
fun-caves-32.jpg (151.45 KiB) Viewed 493 times

burli

by burli » Post

duane wrote: The code is now faster, but it still develops a lot of lag at times. I think some of that is due to the large number of creatures I have available.
Hm, I add a counter. I just waked on the surface the first ingame day and in this time over 40 mobs are spawned. But it is also possible to get up to over 100. I don't know if they are all active

And I noticed that I get demage without any mob around. Even if I fly in the air I got damage. Is that by intention?

[Edit] you added hunger. Just read it now, sorry

And if I punch a mob the game craches

Code: Select all

2016-05-25 10:25:43: ACTION[Server]: Player singleplayer punched by LuaEntitySAO at (412.109,-21.5,-230.328), damage 1 HP
2016-05-25 10:25:44: ACTION[Server]: singleplayer punches object 622: LuaEntitySAO at (412.807,-21.5,-233.346)
2016-05-25 10:25:44: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: Lua: Runtime error from mod 'fun_caves' in callback luaentity_Punch(): /home/markus/minetest/bin/../mods/mobs/api.lua:1711: attempt to index local 'tool_capabilities' (a nil value)
2016-05-25 10:25:44: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2016-05-25 10:25:44: ERROR[Main]: 	/home/markus/minetest/bin/../mods/mobs/api.lua:1711: in function </home/markus/minetest/bin/../mods/mobs/api.lua:1692>
2016-05-25 10:25:44: ERROR[Main]: 	/home/markus/minetest/bin/../builtin/game/mod_profiling.lua:290: in function </home/markus/minetest/bin/../builtin/game/mod_profiling.lua:288>
2016-05-25 10:25:44: ACTION[Server]: singleplayer leaves game. List of players: 

duane

by duane » Post

burli wrote:And if I punch a mob the game craches

Code: Select all

2016-05-25 10:25:43: ACTION[Server]: Player singleplayer punched by LuaEntitySAO at (412.109,-21.5,-230.328), damage 1 HP
2016-05-25 10:25:44: ACTION[Server]: singleplayer punches object 622: LuaEntitySAO at (412.807,-21.5,-233.346)
2016-05-25 10:25:44: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: Lua: Runtime error from mod 'fun_caves' in callback luaentity_Punch(): /home/markus/minetest/bin/../mods/mobs/api.lua:1711: attempt to index local 'tool_capabilities' (a nil value)
2016-05-25 10:25:44: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2016-05-25 10:25:44: ERROR[Main]: 	/home/markus/minetest/bin/../mods/mobs/api.lua:1711: in function </home/markus/minetest/bin/../mods/mobs/api.lua:1692>
2016-05-25 10:25:44: ERROR[Main]: 	/home/markus/minetest/bin/../builtin/game/mod_profiling.lua:290: in function </home/markus/minetest/bin/../builtin/game/mod_profiling.lua:288>
2016-05-25 10:25:44: ACTION[Server]: singleplayer leaves game. List of players: 
That's an old error. Are you using the latest mobs redo?

burli

by burli » Post

A few days old. But I can update again if there was an update shortly

duane

by duane » Post

burli wrote:A few days old. But I can update again if there was an update shortly
That's definitely not the version I've got, which has the mobs_redo directory and different code. I got mine from https://github.com/tenplus1/mobs_redo.

burli

by burli » Post

duane wrote:
burli wrote:A few days old. But I can update again if there was an update shortly
That's definitely not the version I've got, which has the mobs_redo directory and different code. I got mine from https://github.com/tenplus1/mobs_redo.
No idea what happens. My version was maybe two weeks old and I could play two days ago with this mod.
burli wrote: I was attacked by naked spiders. I add mobs mod, but not mobs_monsters. I expected, that you just need the api, but you removed some textures. So I had to add mobs_monsters to get the textures

Or are you using an older mobs mod befor it was splitted?
I just downloaded the new version of fun_caves and replaced the old one. Then I got the error

duane

by duane » Post

I'm working on hidden fortresses, underground. They'll be mazes full of nasty creatures with some kind of trophy hidden inside. Collect the set and you win a no-prize. (They won't actually be lit. I took the shots in debug mode.)

Attachments
fun-caves-39.jpg
fun-caves-39.jpg (134.69 KiB) Viewed 493 times
fun-caves-38.jpg
fun-caves-38.jpg (269.17 KiB) Viewed 493 times

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

+1
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

duane

by duane » Post

Mobs that spawn in fortresses are now tougher than their free-roaming cousins -- a little tougher up top -- at the bottom... expect pain. This should work for any mobs_redo mob, as long as you add a register_spawn line with the "fortress" group set (so they spawn there at all). It won't affect mobs that wander in from above.

Edit: A lesser goblin just killed me in two hits. I may have to look into armor mods.

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

a dungeon master might one shoot you with a steel armor.
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

burli

by burli » Post

duane wrote:Edit: A lesser goblin just killed me in two hits. I may have to look into armor mods.
I don't really like the mobs in minetest. They may be to strong at the beginning, but if you have a steel sword most mobs are boring. And if you have a steel armor most mobs can't really harm you. The gameplay is not really balanced

duane

by duane » Post

burli wrote:I don't really like the mobs in minetest. They may be to strong at the beginning, but if you have a steel sword most mobs are boring. And if you have a steel armor most mobs can't really harm you. The gameplay is not really balanced
Well, all mobs will have about 12x the hit points and do 12x the normal damage at -31000, scaling up gradually. If there are armor and weapon mods that trivialize that, I'll just jack it up some more.

I want it to be impossible to beat. I'm an old rogue-like fan.

burli

by burli » Post

duane wrote:Well, all mobs will have about 12x the hit points and do 12x the normal damage at -31000, scaling up gradually. If there are armor and weapon mods that trivialize that, I'll just jack it up some more.

I want it to be impossible to beat. I'm an old rogue-like fan.
I don't want to dig down so deep. I want other methodes to change the difficulty.

I don't want to clone Minecraft, but some things are good, like something that is called "Regional difficulty". If the player stays at the same area for a while the mobs get stronger and the spawn rate is higher. I also want to add XP and a level. Each level the mobs get a little bit stronger. I also like the idea that mobs can pick up items. And if it is a weapon or armor the mob can use the item.

duane

by duane » Post

burli wrote:I don't want to dig down so deep. I want other methodes to change the difficulty.

I don't want to clone Minecraft, but some things are good, like something that is called "Regional difficulty". If the player stays at the same area for a while the mobs get stronger and the spawn rate is higher. I also want to add XP and a level. Each level the mobs get a little bit stronger. I also like the idea that mobs can pick up items. And if it is a weapon or armor the mob can use the item.
You could do all of that the same way I did the depth changes. You could even let the individual monsters gain levels slowly. (Of course, you're wasting most of the playing space.) If you do levels though, you have to have preset higher level areas. Otherwise junior characters are going to get stomped when the level of their area changes. And there's no obvious way to tell what level a monster is, since their F5 text doesn't change after they're created (annoying).

If I were going to do that, I'd probably have to base the level regions on noise and plant markers like skulls every so often. The more skulls you see, the higher the level. That would at least give people some warning. You could plant stock bones, confusing people on corpse runs (hilarious).

The goblins are assumed to be using weapons and tools, they're just not visible until they die. When would there be weapons and armor lying around for monsters to pick up anyway?

burli

by burli » Post

You have some nice ideas, but I will stop this discussion here because it is "slighly" off topic. But I will come back if I have finished my caves.

btw: I would like to use your cave algorithm without the decoration. Can you help me with that, please?

duane

by duane » Post

I slightly modified the promotion code to make all creatures tougher, the farther you get from origin in any axis (yes, even cows and bunnies). At the edge of the world, they'll have 5x the hit points and do 5x the damage (if any). You'll still have to travel a long way to see any real difference. Creatures in fortresses are 50% stronger than their cousins outside, no matter where they occur.

I also made a lot of abm-related changes, which seem to have helped the lag a bit.

duane

by duane » Post

burli wrote:I would like to use your cave algorithm without the decoration. Can you help me with that, please?
That's easy. Just comment out the decorate_cave() and fortress() calls in mapgen (or replace those functions with your own). That's why I made them separate.

everamzah
GitHub: everamzah
IRC: everamzah
In-game: everamzah

by everamzah » Post

Just for fun, I've started up a fun_caves server: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14787
Last edited by everamzah on Thu Jun 23, 2016 16:49, edited 3 times in total.

swordpaint12
In-game: [swordpaint12][Belching_Balladeer]

by swordpaint12 » Post

+10 so cool! It would be neat as the base of a subgame!
God's not dead; remember that!
Yay for MT! No MC here!
I am a human. I'm younger than 100 years old.
I've been playing Minetest since December 2014.

I'm amazed that I haven't been on here in so long! My latest minetest accomplishment was mining by hand (well, as close as you can get in a computer game) a circle 30 blocks in diameter. It took forever but it's pretty cool.

duane

by duane » Post

I've reduced the lag considerably on my system, and map generation is much faster.

burli

by burli » Post

duane wrote:I'm working on hidden fortresses, underground.
Hidden? Seriously? They are endless. You can't miss them, at least in my test

duane

by duane » Post

burli wrote:
That's odd. I barely find any.

duane

by duane » Post

I'm considering this change to the giant mushrooms, which would prevent falling glitches around them. What do you think?

Attachments
fun-caves-41.jpg
fun-caves-41.jpg (86.9 KiB) Viewed 493 times

burli

by burli » Post

duane wrote:
burli wrote:
That's odd. I barely find any.
No, really, I just had to go deep enough, then there was nothing else. Don't know how deep I was, but not extremely deep