Request for donations for my development work

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

Request for donations for my development work

by paramat » Post

Update 08/08/2021.
I have been inactive in Minetest development since the end of 2020. I have deleted my Patreon account and have removed the Paypal payment link from this post.
The rest of this post remains as it was originally written.

I wish i didn't have to ask. The rent for where i live is paid, but i have no other income, and this will be the case for the forseeable future.
I live in the UK but some people in certain situations are falling through gaps in the system and have no income. I wish i could share more details, and you deserve more too, but it's personal information.

I have decided to ask for donations.

I have 500+ commits in Minetest Engine, 400+ in Minetest Game, you can see my commit history here:
https://github.com/minetest/minetest/co ... or=paramat
https://github.com/minetest/minetest_ga ... or=paramat
By commit number i am the top contributor in Minetest Game and 3rd highest in Minetest Engine.
Here are my mods:
search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=topics&aut ... =titleonly

Here is the PayPal link to donate:
**** Update 08/08/2021: Link removed *****
You can use any debit or credit card, or if you have a PayPal account you can log in to use that.
Please don't consider any donation too small, i will appreciate any amount.

Alternatively i now have a Patreon account:
**** Update 08/08/2021: Patreon account deleted *****
One-off donations, and starting and stopping whenever you want are all fine and welcome.
I hardly ever post there though, as i prefer to keep my MT postings here in the forum.
Last edited by paramat on Sun Aug 08, 2021 21:03, edited 17 times in total.

xeranas

Re: Request for donations for my development work

by xeranas » Post

Must be tough situation.. Did you consider open patreon account? IMO its more transparent platform with better communication between creator and supporters. Especially for longer term.

TheReaperKing

by TheReaperKing » Post

What about doing paid requests for work? I'm going to be using minetest to teach at my job next year and I'm sure will be needing specific features so maybe we could work something out :)
Become A Real Life Superhero - http://SuperheroHill.com
Project Lead of the Doom 3 Mod Last Man Standing - http://Doom3Coop.com
Project Lead of Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker - http://SandboxGameMaker.com
Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/PlatinumArtsKids

myketronic
In-game: myketronic

by myketronic » Post

I'd definitely donate, but I won't use PayPal, for a number of reasons. I agree with xeranas - I can help you out via Patreon, I'm not looking for any "perks" in return.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Not sure about Patreon, that's more about crowdfunding which is not what i'm doing. I can be contacted easily here and on IRC. I would rather keep things simple by just using PayPal. To be clear you can pay using any debit or credit card at that link.

There is no change in my work or attitude, i continue to work through obsession and love on things that interest me and on general maintenance and organisation of the project. I'm certainly not doing it 'for the money'.

Thank you to those who have donated.
Last edited by paramat on Tue Jul 05, 2016 13:58, edited 2 times in total.

MykieDoesStuff

by MykieDoesStuff » Post

How many times would you need the donation for? Every month? Week? Like... what is the goal you're trying to raise right now?
For fast response... send me a PM

lightonflux
In-game: lof

by lightonflux » Post

Not sure about Patreon, that's more about crowdfunding which is not what i'm doing. I can be contacted easily here and on IRC. I would rather keep things simple by just using PayPal. To be clear you can pay using any debit or credit card at that link.
It is exactly for your use case.

Another dev (from openmw) does get some money through it. → https://www.patreon.com/scrawl?ty=h

On Patreon you give people money because you know they will do good stuff and want to support that. You don't give them money as payment. → https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patronage

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

MykieDoesStuff wrote:How many times would you need the donation for? Every month? Week? Like... what is the goal you're trying to raise right now?
I'm really not expecting regular donations, that's just an option that appears automatically beside the donate button.
A regular payment is a lot to ask so i feel a little embarassed by that option appearing.
I'm more than happy for someone to just make a one-off payment for what i've already done, you can always make another sometime in the future if you really want to.
I'm not trying to raise any particular amount, any small amount helps.

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

I'm surprised and also sad to see this situation. The UK isn't a poor country and the unemployment rate is just about five percent. There are people out there who don't or can not work - but you're not one of those. I would like to support you to reduce the problems but I'm still in study and only earn some money from the holidays' jobs. So I hope you can find a (nice) job or at least enough donations to pay your food.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

yes, don't be discouraged, we are with you!
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

> There are people out there who don't or can not work - but you're not one of those

That's an assumption, for example, you can't judge a person's state of health through the internet.
If the situation is hard to understand that's because i haven't shared the details. Although in a way i would like to explain i am someone who is very anxious about releasing personal information, i don't even like the fact my first name is known :]

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

i'm like you.i hate to display personnal things
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

TheReaperKing wrote:I'm going to be using minetest to teach at my job next year and I'm sure will be needing specific features
Sorry, my response as worded looked a little negative. Although i'm not interested in the education side of things i am always interested in mapgen stuff so can help out, answer questions, and if something inspires me could possibly be more deeply involved in the mapgen side of something. Feel free to email me or PM.

garywhite
GitHub: garywhite207
IRC: same as MT name
In-game: garywhite garywhite1

by garywhite » Post

You could always put up an advert on Craigslist or something like that based on your skills etc. Back stateside a lot of people do it that way

linushsao
IRC: linushsao
In-game: linus

by linushsao » Post

paramat wrote: ...
Here is the PayPal link to donate:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... E75K4ADGVE
You can use any debit or credit card, or if you have a PayPal account you can log in to use that.
Please don't consider any donation too small, i will appreciate any amount.
first sorry for my english,may i have the idea that how much GBP do you need for survive ever month?I hope I can give a little help.

we are with you!

ABJ
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

by ABJ » Post

I'll tell you what. There are a lot of people whom I would give if I could.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

linushsao wrote:may i have the idea that how much GBP do you need for survive ever month?I hope I can give a little help.
Thank you.
There's no need for me to state how much i need, but it's not much, i live a very simple and low-cost life.

I would like to encourage small donations, after all, most people here are young and/or have very little money. Some may think 'i'd like to help but cannot give much' and might consider a very small donation offensive. The fact is Minetest is popular and has thousands of players, imagine if all these players gave very small donations, it would add up to large amounts. So i would deeply appreciate anything, for example 0.50 GBP is excellent.

linushsao
IRC: linushsao
In-game: linus

by linushsao » Post

paramat wrote:...most people here are young and/or have very little money. Some may think 'i'd like to help but cannot give much' and might consider a very small donation offensive. The fact is Minetest is popular and has thousands of players, imagine if all these players gave very small donations, it would add up to large amounts. So i would deeply appreciate anything, for example 0.50 GBP is excellent.
you are so kind. life is a struggle,but we are with you.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Thanks so much for the donations, i appreciate more than i can express.
The Paypal link in the first post is still the one to use.

Currently i have no income (although my rent will probably continue to be paid), and this will be the situation for the forseeable future.
I can honestly say donations for Minetest development work is the only way i can earn money at the moment.
I have worked on Minetest development roughly full time hours for 2 years and am not slowing down yet.
I am about to hit 200 commits in engine and in MTGame.

BBmine
GitHub: BBmine
IRC: BBmine
In-game: Baggins

by BBmine » Post

How long will you be needing donations?

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Post

I'm not familiar with UK welfare system, but they don't have any type of disability benefits program like we have in the U.S.? Here, for example, if you have a mental or physical disability (not sure if that's your case) that prevents you from maintaining a regular job, then you can qualify for a monthly stipend through Social Security Disability..

crazy_baboon

by crazy_baboon » Post

Is the paypal link still valid?

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

I feel for you paramat. I wish I were able to donate for the work you put into this, but I am in the same boat : /
Hang in there.
A Wonderful World

Joseph16
In-game: smb3

by Joseph16 » Post

If you had it in $ instead of £ then I could donate some!
Testin' mines since 1989

TheInformer
GitHub: Repugnus
IRC: TheInformer
In-game: TheInformer

by TheInformer » Post

Joseph13 wrote:If you had it in $ instead of £ then I could donate some!
you can still donate, doesnt matter the currency should automatically convert...
Hi