factions server creation

glichgamer12
In-game: Glitchgamer12

factions server creation

by glichgamer12 » Post

hello! And this is my first post so far, i just signed up.

Anyways i was thinking about a factions server, kinda like Minecraft but Minetest version. but there is a problem, i cant create servers. i talked with my uncle (who does ip stuff and plays games) but he said its near imposible to do so.
if anyone wants to help, that would be great.

if you want i can list mods that could be included.
whats up. hurry up and play the dubstep!

here is a story about a cow: one upon a time there was a cow, now this cow was running away from c55. now why this was happening was unknown. you know what, i am not going to continue this poop.

programmingchicken
GitHub: pchicken
IRC: chicken pchicken

Re: factions server creation

by programmingchicken » Post

if you learn how to port-forward, it's extremely easy to set up a server.
<gamerdude> I apologize for the above content

Minetest Sam

by Minetest Sam » Post

You can't make a faction server right now as there are no proper mods out there. And factions will lag a lot too.
So right now, nope its not possible

glichgamer12

by glichgamer12 » Post

Ok then, I'll make a mod instead since I'm playing with notepad++.

here is a story about a cow: one upon a time there was a cow, now this cow was running away from c55. now why this was happening was unknown. you know what, i am not going to continue this poop.

domtron vox
GitHub: DomtronVox
IRC: Domtron
In-game: Domtron

by domtron vox » Post

Minetest Sam wrote:You can't make a faction server right now as there are no proper mods out there. And factions will lag a lot too.
So right now, nope its not possible
I know of two off the top of my head. I have no clue about their buggyness/lag but here they are:
by jonjeg back in 2012(probebly needs updating): viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3294
by rubenwardy in 2015, capture the flag "engine" that has a teams mod: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6947

Unless I misunderstood the question.

Minetest Sam

by Minetest Sam » Post

There is still a lot things left. Read this topic here
it will tell you everything about factions.

domtron vox

by domtron vox » Post

Minetest Sam wrote:There is still a lot things left. Read this topic here
it will tell you everything about factions.
Read it, but I still don't know what is missing. The only post that actually explaines a specific feature is SaKeL (the "influence allows claiming land") which is more of an extension to a base factions mod IMHO.

Someone else links to the minecraft mod but it goes to a minecraft forum login page with no actual content. But even if it had content that 1) doesn't tell me what is currently missing from our faction mods (it would of course help if I actually used our mods) and 2) it doesn't tell me if people are saying we need every feature from that mod or what is considered important and what is fluff.

My guess is that a faction mod needs:

* grouping mechanism stores which players are in which guild/team.
* joining mechanism allows players to join/leave/get kicked/get invited.
* leadership/ranks mechanism for setting privileges.
* possibly an identification mechanism for quick identification of teammates
* maybe a chat/message system/forum mechanism to tie teammates together better
* Extension API

Then on top of that you add fluff/extension mechanics like territory ownership, frendly-fire prevention, guild/team doors, guild/team wars, ect, ect.

But maybe I'm way off. I can't do multiplayer because of my poor internet connection. :/ Just baseing it off my small experience with MMORPG guild systems.

Edit: Did a bit of poking around and found this MC mod which is maybe what people are looking for feature wise for minetest: https://www.massivecraft.com/factions

glichgamer12

by glichgamer12 » Post

I didn't mean the MOD, I just meant a simple survival server with protection mods and "factions".

Just to clear things up;)

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

The ctf_pvp_engine could do all those things mentioned. You just need to write an extension to add the land owning based on influence
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

domtron vox

by domtron vox » Post

glichgamer12 wrote:I didn't mean the MOD, I just meant a simple survival server with protection mods and "factions".

Just to clear things up;)
As for setting up a server you need to learn some skills, but that is a big part of the fun. “The journey, not the destination” and all that. ;)

There is a guide in the wiki and I've seen some guides floating around in the forums like the one pinned in the Server category though it is a bit old.

As for the server itself you have at least two options:
1. Setup a box at home, install linux/or whatever, and go through one of the minetest guides.
2. Buy a machine on a cloud hosting platform like "Amazons Web Services" (link to pricing page, let charts load it may take a minute) (instance=server)

I would say the first one is both cheaper and easier to deal with (and more fun), but depends on what kind of hosting provider you have. If you have a decent up/down link and your provider allows game servers (just google your provider's name + “game server” and your likely to find info on it) then you should beable to run a server from home. As a previous post mentions you'll need port forwarding which isn't too hard if you have a router.

The second one is more scalable, you can change the resources when you need more or less. And you don't have to worry about outages so much. Also you can move the server to a location as close to your users as possible to reduce lag.

Of course the third option is to have someone who already has a server let you add your game to their server. But you either need to be really good friends with them or they need to be really generous/really like your goals for the server.

However, anyway you look at it you ought to have your subgame setup and tested locally before setting up a server to run it.

Make some choices and post back here if you need help. I personally have done a little bit of AWS and much more of home servers, but neither in the context of minetest.

EDIT: changed AWS link from the marketing dribble page to one with charts listing resources and price per hour.

glichgamer12

by glichgamer12 » Post

To clear things up, I was talking about a server with a couple mods and a protection mod. And it could be like a base war server, that's what I meant.