[Game] Voxelgarden [5.6.0]

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

Re: [Game] Voxelgarden [git]

by paramat » Post

Casimir, we're considering a new grass texture for MTGame and i like your voxelgarden texture, is it okay for me to edit it a little and submit it as a possible new texture? I was thinking of trying to make the 'lines' less obvious, see https://github.com/minetest/minetest_ga ... -150977485

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Accidental double post.

Casimir
GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

by Casimir » Post

Of course it is okay. But actually I don't like my current texture that much. It is far to green. On large scales it looks too artificial. I wanted to add some yellow, brown shades to it but lack the skills. Somewhere in the direction of Gambits texture you posted on that issue. If you (plural) come up with a improved version I will gladly use it too.
DatJohnDoe wrote:Why not make breaking dirt have a chance of giving you a rock/rock fragment?
That always has the problem that people can just place and dig again until they turned all dirt into rocks.
My current plan is to turn the rocks into flint blocks. Those drop four or nine flints which then can be used to either craft stonetools, or to be sharpened and a tool of it's own. Also I want to add fallen logs the way they where introduced in Minetest Game lately, which then could be broken by hand. This way there are several options on how to advance in the game. And the flints could be used to craft other items e.g. a fire striker. Basically reimplementing my stoneage mod.

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

Done the flint thing. It replaces all rocks. Flint can be used to craft stone tools. Also gives you a handaxe, and together with steel a fire striker. It has to be used with tinder the way you see it in the screenshot. Tinder can be crafted from cotton, wheat or paper. There is also a fire privilege so server owners can disable it.

Nezchan
In-game: Nezchan

by Nezchan » Post

I'm a new player, and I installed Voxelgarden because I really like the survival concept. However, when I try to start a game it fails, apparently due to the Flint mod. Here's what it gives me:
2016-02-25 17:19:58: ERROR[main]: Server: Failed to load and run /home/kels/.minetest/games/Voxelgarden/mods/flint/init.lua
2016-02-25 17:19:58: ERROR[main]: ModError: ModError: Failed to load and run /home/kels/.minetest/games/Voxelgarden/mods/flint/init.lua
2016-02-25 17:19:58: ERROR[main]: Error from Lua:
2016-02-25 17:19:58: ERROR[main]: /home/kels/.minetest/games/Voxelgarden/mods/flint/init.lua:36: attempt to index global 'default' (a nil value)
2016-02-25 17:19:58: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
2016-02-25 17:19:58: ERROR[main]: /home/kels/.minetest/games/Voxelgarden/mods/flint/init.lua:36: in main chunk
2016-02-25 17:19:58: ERROR[main]: Check debug.txt for details.
If i delete the Flint mod, it runs perfectly, although of course then it's impossible to play since I have no resource to make basic tools out of. I am able to corner the market in sticks though, so that's something.

kaadmy
GitHub: kaadmy
IRC: KaadmY
In-game: KaadmY kaadmy NeD

by kaadmy » Post

@Nezchan: that seems to be a problem with dependencies, see below
@Casimir: to fix @Nezchan's problem, put default in the depends.txt for the flint mod.
Never paint white stripes on roads near Zebra crossings.

Pixture

Nezchan

by Nezchan » Post

Worked perfectly, thanks!

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

Oh thank you both. I added the depends.txt now.
It seems I had a depends.txt but forgot to commit it.

Nezchan

by Nezchan » Post

Thank you again, I'm really enjoying my experience so far. I haven't played Minecraft at all, so Minetest is my introduction to the genre and this is the subgame that really grabs me the most, I think. Pixture comes second, but I think I like this one especially for the limits on technology. I see it as basically playing at a Viking level, where you've got metals but not too much past that level.

Would be nice to see appropriate mobs though, like wolves and bears. And a way to throw away unwanted items, there doesn't seem to be a "junk" option that I can see.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

See https://github.com/minetest/minetest_game/pull/1025 for my subtle modification of your grass texture.

DrFrankenstone
GitHub: treer

by DrFrankenstone » Post

This looks perfect but I'm a noob and I've encountered some problems - sometimes flowers or grass are floating a block higher than the ground (perhaps because dirt can fall?), and leaves start decaying as soon as trees get close.

Are these known issues or have I done something wrong? Were they introduced by v4.14? Is Voxelgarden still maintained? Should I be attempting to debug it?

Update: I think leaf decay is built into minetest now, but when Voxelgarden was made it had to implement its own. I'll try replacing the mods in Voxelgarden with 4.14 ones and ripping out the leaf decay.

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

DrFrankenstone wrote:sometimes flowers or grass are floating a block higher than the ground (perhaps because dirt can fall?)
This is because of the mudflow part of mapgen and the same problem exists in other game, afaik.
DrFrankenstone wrote:and leaves start decaying as soon as trees get close.
Well, this problem existed for some time but should have been fixed. Can you try the latest version? If if still persists, what trees are affected (all kinds?) and in which mapgen?
I use a special leafdecay for several reasons, but it should be safe to just delete "leafdecay.lua" in the "default" mod.
DrFrankenstone wrote:Is Voxelgarden still maintained?
If there are any bugs, I try to fix them, but adding no new features. At the moment I'm more interested in other projects. (e.g. instead of creating games no one but me plays, I could also create language no one but me speaks.)

Ivà
GitHub: melzua
IRC: melzua
In-game: melzua

by Ivà » Post

Casimir wrote:At the moment I'm more interested in other projects. (e.g. instead of creating games no one but me plays, I could also create language no one but me speaks.)
That's not entirely true, I played your subgame in a server (when there was one) and then locally in my computer for hours :-)

Nezchan

by Nezchan » Post

I agree with Iva, I've really enjoyed what you did with this subgame. It's a real pity that it hasn't been worked on, although I don't begrudge you working on the projects that interest you.

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

Thanks you both. It's good to see some people actually playing it.
I have more time at hand now, so I will likely do some updates and at least keep up with the improvements in minetest_game. (I already uncovered the todo list - enough on it for days of work.)

Nezchan

by Nezchan » Post

I like this mod because it feels like I'm a Viking. Could use appropriate mobs, like bears and wolves.

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

Found the bug for the disappearing leaves. Should work now.

Mobs are planed, but it will still take a while before they are usable.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Your grass texture is now used in MTGame in modified form.

hajo

by hajo » Post

I'm testing Voxelgarden, that has been packaged with the new Minetest 0.4.14-8a7dc83 - 2016-12-05.

I get some errormessages:

Code: Select all

2016-12-10 19:42:47: WARNING[Main]: Field "height_min": Deprecated: new name is "y_min".
2016-12-10 19:42:47: WARNING[Main]: Not registering alias, item with same name is already defined: sapling -> default:sapling
2016-12-10 19:42:47: WARNING[Main]: Not registering alias, item with same name is already defined: brick -> default:clay_brick
2016-12-10 19:42:48: WARNING[Main]: Irrlicht: PNG warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
2016-12-10 19:42:49: WARNING[Main]: Irrlicht: Could not open file of texture: character.png
The crosshair is white, and rather small, that makes it hard to see on some backgrounds.

The player cannot dig trees, and so he cannot make tools.
I don't see how the player should get started, and there is no documentation about this.

Ivà
GitHub: melzua
IRC: melzua
In-game: melzua

by Ivà » Post

@hajo, look at the first post, under "recipes to know" spoiler.

hajo

by hajo » Post

hajo wrote:The player cannot dig trees, and so he cannot make tools.
I don't see how the player should get started, and there is no documentation about this.
Ivà wrote:@hajo, look at the first post, under "recipes to know" spoiler.
Well, that kind of documentation should be someplace in the download,
e.g. readme.txt or maybe hints.txt

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

Nothing changed here for a long time. Personally I continued playing the game (mainly on a local copy of The Ocean Experiment). However some updates recently broke an essential part of the game: attached nodes falling (instead of dropping). So I decided to put some (still little) more work into maintaining the subgame. I would be happy if others join in.

Therefor I stared using the issue tracker on github and added most of the things I could think about out of my head. There are still some old todo lists hiding somewhere.

Issues use my system of "bugs >> cleanups >> features >> nice to haves". Which means, every issue should be labelled with one of those (it doesn't matter much which one). Bugs are done first, then cleanups, than features, than the things nice to have.
This has the downside of having a few features, but the upside of having a stable and mostly bug free base to work with and little maintenance. And I prefer to have a few well done features working, than many which don't work.
It also benefits changes that improve mods by making them more modular and generalized, which in turn allow new features to emerge just out of the existing. The best example is the modularized doors mod. I use it to build windows, trapdoors, fences, stairs and everything, things MTG adds new nodes for.

If anyone wants to help, it's as easy as opening an issue on github. I have lost track of the changes in MTG, and also no idea of bugs which I don't encounter because I am used to how this subgame works. Those who want to contribute code are welcome too. (New features are best done as mods working on their own, so they can be used in other subgames too.)

@ hajo
Thanks for your feedback I will try to fix the things you mentioned (crosshair hardly visible, documentation missing, engine warnings) in some time.
Last edited by Casimir on Fri May 12, 2017 20:20, edited 1 time in total.

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

As announced, I did some work on the game (had some time because ill at home) and got some annoying bugs fixed, things cleaned out and copied some nice textures. See? Trees and grass don't look like shit anymore.
Cotton and saplings where improved too. (Papyrus is still far form ideal.)

Now one bug is still open: "Have a replacement for silex"

There are several problems with silex/flint.
1. They are limited and few, which leads to problems in multiplayer for new players.
2. They use their own block and item without adding to much of use, or decoration.
3. They become useless after finding the first deposit.
4. They are unintuitive. As a new player you have no idea how to get started.

The solution I came up with still feels kind of ugly to me. But maybe it would work. That's why I need some input and opinions.

All the flint/silex/whatever things are replaced with gravel, in the way that:
  • Gravel becomes much more common. Often as an extra layer between dirt and stone.
  • When dug, gravel drops 4 "small stone".
  • "small stone" can be used to craft all the things as before: tools, and a fire striker.
  • One can craft 4 "small stones" back into gravel.
This fixes the above problems. However, it is still confusing to new player. Nobody searches for gravel at the beginning of a game. There are some clues, as in the craft guide you would see that gravel gives small stone, and that stones are useful is obvious. Also because gravel will be everywhere, people could hardly avoid digging it.
I could also change the texture to look quite different to MTG/MC so payers will dig some up to look what it is.

Still doesn't sound like a good solution.

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

After playing around a bit, I am thinking about adding a adze as tool (see crafting) and a mattock (see wield). Both multitools to chop wood and dig dirt. The adze can also dig some stone. With the small stones you would first be able to craft an adze, get some real stone and then craft the usual stone tools. This is inspired by Voxelands where you have small versions of the usual stone tools, which you craft from stones you find in dirt.
This adds an extra layer which might be annoying. But I want to avoid the game play where you start, get stone tools and be done.
In the background you can also see how gravel will generate.

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

Happy to see this high quality subgame carry on development. It was the first thing I tried after realizing I wasn't limited to Minetest Game and it is in my opinion still one of the finer subgames out there in terms of concept, game mechanics, visual coherence, pace and so on. I remember being the suspense of nightfall and what it could possibly bring.

When I try it again I'm experiencing s a critical bug though. The game goes segfault whenever falling nodes reaches the ground. See Github issue.

Edit: Realizing you might be developing towards .4.15-dev my issue might be irrelevant. Sorry.