More stone types

burli

More stone types

by burli » Post

I want to see more stone types underground, not only stone, sandstone, desert sandstone and maybe gravel.

There are lots of stone types and they would be also interesting for builders I think. There are so many great colors of marble, blue, green, black and white rocks and much more

I don't mean like Darkage, where only a few spots of other stones are placed somewhere. I mean more like this

MykieDoesStuff

Re: More stone types

by MykieDoesStuff » Post

burli wrote:I want to see more stone types underground, not only stone, sandstone, desert sandstone and maybe gravel.

There are lots of stone types and they would be also interesting for builders I think. There are so many great colors of marble, blue, green, black and white rocks and much more

I don't mean like Darkage, where only a few spots of other stones are placed somewhere. I mean more like this

Why don't work on the mod then? Pretty easy to make blocks :P

After making blocks, you just have to figure out how to implement it to the map gen. Which won't be too hard, if you look at the code on how other people did it.
For fast response... send me a PM

burli

by burli » Post

MykieDoesStuff wrote:After making blocks, you just have to figure out how to implement it to the map gen. Which won't be too hard, if you look at the code on how other people did it.
Who did it? I don't know any mod, maybe except 3d stone biomes, but the author itself didn't recommend this mod because it is slow.

And I don't want to invent the wheel again. Maybe we can make a collection of mods they already have stone which I can use before I make my own.

Currently I only know darkage. What other modsdefine new stone types?

KCoombes
In-game: Knatt

by KCoombes » Post

burli wrote:
MykieDoesStuff wrote:After making blocks, you just have to figure out how to implement it to the map gen. Which won't be too hard, if you look at the code on how other people did it.
Who did it? I don't know any mod, maybe except 3d stone biomes, but the author itself didn't recommend this mod because it is slow.

And I don't want to invent the wheel again. Maybe we can make a collection of mods they already have stone which I can use before I make my own.

Currently I only know darkage. What other modsdefine new stone types?
TenPlus1 wrote ethereal mod, with extra biomes (part of mapgen.lua) and additional plants (flowers.lua) - you would have to find other stone textures and define the nodes, but it's really easy to do.

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

Ethereal indeed adds for example them lovely hardened clay hills; great colorfull building material.
Technic adds marble and granit layers.
There is also
Quartz,
xtrablocks that also adds a variant of marble,
gloopblocks that adds among others basalt and pumice,
lapis that adds Lapis Lazuli and Pyrite,
fossils,
and not to forget
moreblocks and moreores.

Would be great if we had a unified Gems including all the stuff from
Birthstones,
fixed birthstones,
Gemstones,
Gem tools,
Encrustable Gems and
Gold and gem usage

and then there was sedimentology-mt
and don't forget the extra ores and stones of some of Paramat's old mods, the Lord of the Test game, Sky-Test and other games that added unique content.........and many mods more..................happy sampling and combining

burli

by burli » Post

Thanks for that list. I'll take a look

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

It shouldn't be too hard with Mapgen v7. You can make your own biomes and such, so if you register more biomes, similar to Minecraft's different colored grass, and give each a different stone type, you should archieve something similar to what you want.

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

Where to look for modding stone? default and moreores. I would personally vote for expanding the ore/stone types found in default, including most of moreores, ethereal, and darkage.

I started using the walls in v0414, but noticed that only cobble, mossy cobble, and desert cobble were provided. So I modded the code in the minetest_game/mods/walls/init.lua to also provide stone brick, desert stone brick, and sandstone brick walls with the code below.

Code: Select all

walls.register("walls:sandstonebrick", "Sandstone Brick Wall", "default_sandstone_brick.png",
		"default:sandstonebrick", default.node_sound_stone_defaults())

walls.register("walls:desertstonebrick", "Desert Stone Brick Wall", "default_desert_stone_brick.png",
		"default:desert_stonebrick", default.node_sound_stone_defaults())

walls.register("walls:stonebrick", "Stone Brick Wall", "default_stone_brick.png",
		"default:stonebrick", default.node_sound_stone_defaults())
I'm a fan of the stone tile found in moreores. I've been considering adding code from moreores for the stone tile, and others, to the minetest_game/mods/default/nodes.lua file, so that I could then create wall defs for those stone types. This could easily be done in a portable copy of minetest, for testing, so I don't mess up the worlds I actually play in.

burli

by burli » Post

Well, I'm looking for ground content, not for bricks or ores.

Something like marble, basalt, schist... Look at the link in my first post

srifqi
GitHub: srifqi
IRC: srifqi
In-game: srifqi

by srifqi » Post

This reminds me to Dwarf Fortress game.
Saya dari Indonesia! · Terjemahkan Minetest! · my mods · My nickname in IPA: /es.rif.qi/

Napiophelios
GitHub: Napiophelios
IRC: Nappi
In-game: Nappi

by Napiophelios » Post

Check out More Rocks mod by Tomas Brod
viewtopic.php?t=11779

I dont think he is working on it anymore but the last version I tried had some nice looking results.
You may have to modify it I am not sure if it works with newer Minetest.

burli

by burli » Post

I am Moses :-D

Napiophelios wrote:Check out More Rocks mod by Tomas Brod
viewtopic.php?t=11779

I dont think he is working on it anymore but the last version I tried had some nice looking results.
You may have to modify it I am not sure if it works with newer Minetest.
That's what I'm looking for, thx. I try to fix this mod. But I play with register_ore. I just need some textures

Edit: some textures are from Minecraft. Not sure which license they are

Edit2: License seems to be ok
Released under the Artistic 2.0 license. In a nutshell, do what you want, as long as you give credit where credit is due.
Attachments
screenshot_20160629_130252.jpg
screenshot_20160629_130252.jpg (200.36 KiB) Viewed 1120 times

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

LOL
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

I agree that there should be standardized stone, gem, and ore types. Some for terrain variation, and some for added building/crafting. I was just pointing out that default/stone and moreblocks/moreores (I only mentioned moreores above) provide a template for adding those types of nodes.

Do the various mapgens place stone by name or group? If by group, by adding stonetypes to the default nodes, you should be able to take advantage of the mapgen for placement, instead of having to write code like in darkage or ethereal. Would that be a correct assumption?

srifqi
GitHub: srifqi
IRC: srifqi
In-game: srifqi

by srifqi » Post

burli wrote:I am Moses :-D

--img--
OOT: How did you do that?
Saya dari Indonesia! · Terjemahkan Minetest! · my mods · My nickname in IPA: /es.rif.qi/

Laser0073
GitHub: Laser0073
In-game: Laser0073

by Laser0073 » Post

+1 I love this idea, as the default MT stone only comes in a few types. IMHO, the more blocks the better. Maybe integrate gemstones? (emerald, ruby, quartz, etc.)
i5 6500 OC @3.5GHz, EVGA GTX 960 4GB, 8GB DDR4, ASROCK Pro4S, 128GB.SSD, MT 0.4.17, Linux Mint 18.3 (Ubuntu 16.04)
OwOOOg9CphnceB30eUFX6BOCW8W3jT4i

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

I fully agree, having only those “default” stones is very boring.
This is something I have been waiting for a very long time.
Adding more stone types would enhance the gameplay, especially if they come in different hardnesses. For example, one gameplay effect might be that your tools might be to weak to go through an entire large area of stone, so you have either get better tools or find your way around this. The exploration of the underground would become much more interesting. In Minetest Game, you basically only need to dig down. With only default stones, you basically just need one tool to go down to the lowest depth. In Minetest Game, even the wooden pickaxe is enough to reach the lowest depth, it just takes a lot of time (and wood :D).

IMO this would change gameplay significantly and it can't be done by simply changing Minetest Game. The boring “default” stones are way too ingrained in Minetest Game that they could be ripped out easily. Therefore, it would make sense to base an entire new subgame around this concept.

All mods which have been shown so far do not really provide what has been requested.
There are some mods which add 1 or 2 new stone types but that's usually it. As has been said, darkage only spawns stones like ores. This is clearly not what I want. Stones should not be just like ores with a different texture. There should be large areas or even complex layers of stones. Think of “3D biomes” for the underground.

So basically what we need are 3 things:
1) Defining a large set of new stones with their own unique properties, especially in hardness
2) Providing a set of tools to dig through and to give a sense of progression
3) Generating the stones to create a complex underground of various stones

To my knowledge, we currently do not have enough mods to complete this task. The mods for this have yet to be written or are very, very imcomplete.

There is an interesing very experimental mod for adding new rocks and making a nice mapgen: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11779 (I'll keep an eye on it)

AFAIK the closest subgame which goes into the direction what we want is BFG. But it is not very sophisticated, only a few new stone types, and they come in perfectly flat layers. It's a bit better than Minetest Game, but still not very interesting if you ask me.

burli

by burli » Post

Fully agree. I posted a link to a Wikipedia article for stones where we can find information about different kind of stones.

maikerumine
GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

I don't know if it would help much, but I did a lot of changes to mapgen as for adding strata in deserts, as well as added many new ore types, feel free to browse the codes and pick some snippits to add to your game.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=13573&hilit=esm

I also plan on adding more complex variations to my grieftest game [WIP]
Talamh Survival Minetest-->viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12959

ozkur
In-game: ozkur or XoRoUZ

by ozkur » Post

this is probably a little late, but for the mapgen, why not add a blob ore that is insanely huge?
Biplanes! 'Nuff said

I am a native English speaker, Ich spreche kein Deuscht, mais je parle un pue français.

burli

by burli » Post

I think, using ores like things is the wrong way for this. I think, this should be done by a 3d noise with different types of stone for each value

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

Rock is mostly created in one of two processes, extreme heat and what is deposited and compressed. With this in mind, using the biome in a given mapgen is the perfect way to generate realistic noises for stone placement.

Currently, there is stone, sand stone, and desert stone. Stone types could be easily created based on the types of plants that are available within a given biome, and be more natural in the process. The placement of those stone types could use the humidity, temperature, and other perlin noises of the given biome to also generate stone layers.

ErrorNull
GitHub: ErrorNull0

by ErrorNull » Post

i don't have too much to contribute to this conversation only that YES, more stone types would definitely increase the excitement of mining deeper and deeper underground. I would love to see something like those examples above..

burli

by burli » Post

Well, I don't care about real geology. I made a really simple noise and add some stone types. To make it a bit more realistic I should add more stones and tweak some values, but I think it is enough for an nice gameplay.

Current problem is, that I overwrite the ores

Here is a demonstration video with false light (sorry for the poor frame rate)

Edit: added more stone types. In the video I had 4, now I have 9

Attachments
screenshot_20160808_160001.jpg
screenshot_20160808_160001.jpg (384.63 KiB) Viewed 1120 times
screenshot_20160808_155813.jpg
screenshot_20160808_155813.jpg (280.1 KiB) Viewed 1120 times

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

those are too many stones!
I like it!
Have a nice day! :D