RealBadAngel

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

Re: RealBadAngel

by VanessaE » Post

Like others, I've been at a loss for words to express how I feel. On a personal level, I can't articulate it... feels hollow, empty. He was my friend, as much so as anyone else I know exclusively online. I'm sure things will feel better eventually, but when he died, something in me died with him.

When RBA started to have problems with what he described once as extremely high blood pressure, I naturally began to worry both for the project and for his personal life, since he had family and local friends. Now that that day has come, my worries have been amplified.

He and I shared common roots as coders on classic 8-bit platforms (though he did Z-80 and I was into 6502), and pretty much thought alike. He, being a demo coder, was better at those things than me (as I focused on tools), but over the past few years since he arrived in the community, we've talked, planned, brainstormed, and argued, but in the end came to a compromise. We talked about everything - cooking, politics, religion, programming, graphic design. So that he could follow some non-Minetest things I'm into, his girlfriend Katarzyna and I became friends on Facebook.

We got pissed off at each other once or twice over things that, in retrospect, were probably kinda petty, but we both got over it quickly. A couple of times, he wanted to leave the community over friction with other core developers, but we all thankfully convinced him to stay.

Now he's gone entirely, and I kinda think to myself "how shallow this is" that his Minetest activities should be what stands out the most about him. There was a LOT more to him than that, most folks just didn't get to see it much.

I am reminded of a particular, brief scene from the beginning of "Amélie", where a guy erases his just-deceased best-friend's name from his address book. His heavy sigh on doing so, with the expression on his face, sums up how I feel. I miss him.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

Zeno
GitHub: Zeno-

by Zeno » Post

All I can say is that he was a talented developer and a good online friend. I am devastated to hear this news.

DI3HARD139
GitHub: DI3HARD139
IRC: DI3HARD139
In-game: DI3HARD139 DI3HARD139_

by DI3HARD139 » Post

Rest in peace RealBadAngel. He will be remembered for all he had done for the community.

MoNTE48
GitHub: MoNTE48
In-game: MoNTE48

by MoNTE48 » Post

I did not know him personally, but he has done so much work in Minetest. Without this human Minetest I would not have had so many interesting and exciting features.
RIP. Community Minetest should never forget about it.
I think a good idea to dedicate the release of 0.4.14 to him, he made so many improvements and bug fixes for this! We also should not forget about the code, over which he had no time to finish the job:
https://github.com/minetest/minetest/pulls/realbadangel

MirceaKitsune
GitHub: MirceaKitsune
IRC: Taoki
In-game: MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Post

There's something I've been wanting to suggest. I don't know if it's a stupid idea, and feel free to slap me if so:

Could we perhaps add some sort of bonus item or easter egg in minetest_game, in the memory of RBA? I'm thinking of something very rare (like MESE or Nyan Cat) with a reference to him. Obviously it must be an item that makes sense in the game, and doesn't break the fourth wall into real life issues... just an indirect reference would be fine.

One possible example that popped to mind: In very rare cases, Nyan Cat blocks that spawn in the sky could have angel wings, as a reference to his nickname. If the player gets them, they could gain the ability to fly! Dunno... just thought it would be nice if someone did something like this for core MTG.

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

MirceaKitsune wrote:There's something I've been wanting to suggest. I don't know if it's a stupid idea, and feel free to slap me if so:

Could we perhaps add some sort of bonus item or easter egg in minetest_game, in the memory of RBA? I'm thinking of something very rare (like MESE or Nyan Cat) with a reference to him. Obviously it must be an item that makes sense in the game, and doesn't break the fourth wall into real life issues... just an indirect reference would be fine.

One possible example that popped to mind: In very rare cases, Nyan Cat blocks that spawn in the sky could have angel wings, as a reference to his nickname. If the player gets them, they could gain the ability to fly! Dunno... just thought it would be nice if someone did something like this for core MTG.
I support this proposition all the way. Upon hearing of RealBadAngel's passing away, a massive hole was sliced into my heart. He was a good man who really did care about Minetest, as his contributions proved. Heck, I even spoke with him a few times in irc.

StepDevelop
GitHub: StepDevelop

by StepDevelop » Post

I'm so sorry :( Goodbye RealBadAngel -_- R.I.P.

naltamur
GitHub: naltamur
IRC: naltamur

by naltamur » Post

Goodbye RealBadAngel ! You are in my heart!

redblade7
IRC: redneonglow redblade7
In-game: redblade7 redblade7_owner

by redblade7 » Post

Very sad to hear this. I remember when I had my Terrarium server (the buggy one that was shut down last winter and replaced with Creative Gardens), there was an issue where approaching this one area would crash the server. One night, RealBadAngel and others helped me regenerate the problem area on IRC. One of the buggy mods was experimental mapgen, which would automatically generate villages. So I gave the nearby village "Tristram" a hellish look and named the streets after all the people who helped me on IRC that night, RealBadAngel being one of them. While the Terrarium is long gone, I will be sure to add his name to The Crypt on Creative Gardens.
-redblade7, admin of: THE CREATIVE GARDENS (creative), THE VALLEYS (sandbox), and THE DIGITAL FARMS (farming/hunger/shops)

wilkgr76
GitHub: wilkgr76

by wilkgr76 » Post

Inocudom wrote:
MirceaKitsune wrote:There's something I've been wanting to suggest. I don't know if it's a stupid idea, and feel free to slap me if so:

I support this proposition all the way. Upon hearing of RealBadAngel's passing away, a massive hole was sliced into my heart. He was a good man who really did care about Minetest, as his contributions proved. Heck, I even spoke with him a few times in irc.
As do I.

ABJ
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

by ABJ » Post

I was not in contact with the internet when this happened but now that I see it, it chills me. I never intimately knew him, but I remember like yesterday bringing up losing OpenGL and having Minetest lag death because of that and the heated discussions about RBA's "breaking working shit for eye candy", and how someone reminded us of what he had done for us and before or after that, seeing some excellent work by RBA on bumpmapping (which was REALLY cool!), all just a few months before his DEATH!
I may not be crying or weeping, but it is thoroughly chilling.

hampa16

by hampa16 » Post

Farewell, RealBadAngel. You made the best Minetest mods and texturepacks that people will ever find and download. I knew you well. I'll know you forever.

I will say the same thing for Helen Koonce.

We will miss you both.

Christian9
In-game: Christian9

by Christian9 » Post

R.I.P May his soul move on to the afterlife in Peace, He will always be remembered.

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

Christian9 wrote:R.I.P May his soul move on to the afterlife in Peace, He will always be remembered.
Yes i hope so.
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

BrunoMine
GitHub: BrunoMine

by BrunoMine » Post

This event made me think deeply about minetest. We are all here a long time. We should mount a history server, with monuments that tell the story of Minetest.

ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

by ABJ » Post

Lets.

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

BrunoMine wrote:This event made me think deeply about minetest. We are all here a long time. We should mount a history server, with monuments that tell the story of Minetest.
yes....?....i don't know, maybe.
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

kaadmy
GitHub: kaadmy
IRC: KaadmY
In-game: KaadmY kaadmy NeD

by kaadmy » Post

BrunoMine wrote:This event made me think deeply about minetest. We are all here a long time. We should mount a history server, with monuments that tell the story of Minetest.
I agree. I'll try to help if someone else begins doing it.
Never paint white stripes on roads near Zebra crossings.

Pixture

Desour
GitHub: Desour
IRC: Desour
In-game: DS
Location: I'm scared that if this is too exact, I will be unable to use my keyboard.

by Desour » Post

hm, it would be difficult to show everything. it would be like the experience of old veterans, everyone has something different to tell
he/him; Codeberg; GitHub; ContentDB; public personal TODO list; "DS" is preferred (but often too short)

BrunoMine
GitHub: BrunoMine

by BrunoMine » Post

DS-minetest wrote:hm, it would be difficult to show everything. it would be like the experience of old veterans, everyone has something different to tell
Well, this should be done by veterans.

Desour
GitHub: Desour
IRC: Desour
In-game: DS
Location: I'm scared that if this is too exact, I will be unable to use my keyboard.

by Desour » Post

BrunoMine wrote:
DS-minetest wrote:hm, it would be difficult to show everything. it would be like the experience of old veterans, everyone has something different to tell
sure, but the problem is that there could be disagreements
he/him; Codeberg; GitHub; ContentDB; public personal TODO list; "DS" is preferred (but often too short)

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

DS-minetest wrote:
BrunoMine wrote:
sure, but the problem is that there could be disagreements
And how about trying to hear everyone and try to join the pieces to make them match perfectly?
Have a nice day! :D

Napiophelios
GitHub: Napiophelios
IRC: Nappi
In-game: Nappi

by Napiophelios » Post

How bout we start a new topic on the subject and discuss it there?

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

Napiophelios wrote:How bout we start a new topic on the subject and discuss it there?
OK!
This is gettin' too offtopic...
Better do another topic!
Have a nice day! :D

ABJ

by ABJ » Post