Villagers mod? I'm feelin lonely...

botch
IRC: Botch
In-game: botch

Villagers mod? I'm feelin lonely...

by botch » Post

I'm an older gamer and have downloaded Minetest and have added several mods to my single player game but there are a TON of things I still don't know. While I am familiar with C++, I have no time currently due to full time work + college.

My question is, I would like a mod that, much like Minecraft, has villages that can be found around the area at different points. I had a mod (since deleted and don't remember which one) where I would run across a single small house with a "villager" in it that I could trade with.

*** Being someone who is not familiar a lot with mods to begin with, is there a mod that brings A.I. characters in the game to interact with? ***

*Note: I'm trying to sell this game to my wife but due to crashing issues on multiplayer servers, she's not interested. If I could come up with something that has things mentioned above with characters you can interact with, the more chance I may be able to get her to join me in Minetest.

**Note: On another note, Minetest works good on my Win-blows 10 computer but poorly on my big high dollar Mac. Are there known issues with Apple products and if so, are they on another post somewhere?

firefox
In-game: Red_Fox

Re: Villagers mod? I'm feelin lonely...

by firefox » Post

for villagers, mobs redo has an NPC mob.
spawning is disabled by default to prevent them from flooding the map.
NPCs can be tamed like animals (bread and cooked meat) and will follow you and fight monsters (just like the dog mob).

for more interaction there is the traders mod: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9013&hilit=traders
i never played it, but i heard good feedback about this one.
it adds NPCs that stay in fixed places and trade items with you.

for villages there is the village mod: https://github.com/Sokomine/mg_villages
it randomly generates villages, which appearance is based on the biome they appear in.

for the technical compability with minetest i have no idea, but i know that apple hardware only runs apple software and doesn't accept non-apple software. it's not only minetest, but many other open-source games too that have problems with apple computers.
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

If you have the villages mod installed that puts buildings on the map you can register one of mob redo's npc's to spawn on a certain block inside of the house or street :)

kaadmy
GitHub: kaadmy
IRC: KaadmY
In-game: KaadmY kaadmy NeD

by kaadmy » Post

My subgame has villages: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=13181
At the moment, it's fairly stable, but you should still expect crashing.
Never paint white stripes on roads near Zebra crossings.

Pixture

Kpenguin
IRC: Kpenguin
In-game: Kpenguin

by Kpenguin » Post

Never Mind what I had posted here. I figured it out.
All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

botch wrote: My question is, I would like a mod that, much like Minecraft, has villages that can be found around the area at different points. I had a mod (since deleted and don't remember which one) where I would run across a single small house with a "villager" in it that I could trade with.
Sounds like my old random_buildings mod. It spawned lumberjack houses and the occasional clay trader. There is also the mobf mod (a mod that adds animals and hostile npc; the name of the mod is Animals Modpack) that spawns two types of houses with traders in. Might have been that one as well. The trader there sold i.e. saddles, doors, locked chests and so on.

I hope to release mg_villages soon now plus a modpack with all else that makes the villages more intresting. Writing the documentation is what currently keeps me from releasing. But as firefox mentionned already: mg_villages can be found on Github.
botch wrote: *** Being someone who is not familiar a lot with mods to begin with, is there a mod that brings A.I. characters in the game to interact with? ***
AI is a bit tricky. Some servers that focus more on fighting have a mod installed that spawns mobs which look similar to players and which form fractions. Some are friendly guys who just wander around, and some attack on sight. The friendly ones fight against the hostile mobs, and it sometimes seems as if they're helping you against the attackers. In rare occasions, they get confused and attack each other. I don't know which mod does that though. They may be special adaptions for servers. Try to join for example the Extreme Survival server.
botch wrote: *Note: I'm trying to sell this game to my wife but due to crashing issues on multiplayer servers, she's not interested. If I could come up with something that has things mentioned above with characters you can interact with, the more chance I may be able to get her to join me in Minetest.
Multiplayer servers usually come with other players to interact with. Perhaps you ought to try another server if one crashes too often. Most are relatively stable. Interaction with NPC will always be limited as those can't really be intelligent. But at least if you add my villages, mob mods (i.e. mobs redo and/or animals modpack) and maybe these mobs fighting against each other, there ought to be a lot going on and less loneliness in the game.
A list of my mods can be found here.

kaadmy
GitHub: kaadmy
IRC: KaadmY
In-game: KaadmY kaadmy NeD

by kaadmy » Post

Sokomine wrote: [...]
and which form fractions.
[...]
Did you mean faction there?
Never paint white stripes on roads near Zebra crossings.

Pixture

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

kaadmy wrote: Did you mean faction there?
Yes, thanks. I always get that one wrong.

Apart from that, there's still too few life inside the villages. Mobs have developed a lot recently and now work pretty well even on servers. Having more player-shaped mobs walk around (perhaps even with some purpose) would be great.

TheReaperKing

by TheReaperKing » Post

If only there was a simple way to port this minecraft mod:
http://millenaire.org/

Not only do the villages have NPCs that live in it, but they also work on upgrading their villages and adding more houses. Also the NPCs actually have kids that grow up and add to the village population. If you donate enough resources to them they will even offer to buy you a house and if you donate a crazy amount they'll make you the mayor. Also there are bandit lairs and if one is close to a village it will attack it sometimes. If you wipe out all the bandits they don't come anymore and they have lots of treasure in their bases. Pretty cool stuff.

EDIT I should have just pasted this haha.
Millénaire is a mod for Minecraft, a 3D sandbox game. It aims to fill the "emptyness" of Minecraft worlds by adding NPC villages to it, with loose 11th-century Norman, Japanese and Mayan themes and additional cultures planned.

Villages are populated with men, women and children of various kinds, who perform tasks such as trading with the player, expending current buildings or improving existing ones, cultivating crops such as wheat in Norman villages and rice in Indian ones, crafting tools and powerful amulets, etc. As the village expends, the number of villagers increases as couples have children who grow up into new adults.

Help villages grow by trading with them and be rewarded with unique items such as Normand and Indian food or statues and tapestries to decorate your house with. And if they start liking you enough, they might even build you a house of your own.
Become A Real Life Superhero - http://SuperheroHill.com
Project Lead of the Doom 3 Mod Last Man Standing - http://Doom3Coop.com
Project Lead of Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker - http://SandboxGameMaker.com
Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/PlatinumArtsKids

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

TheReaperKing wrote: Not only do the villages have NPCs that live in it, but they also work on upgrading their villages and adding more houses. Also the NPCs actually have kids that grow up and add to the village population. If you donate enough resources to them they will even offer to buy you a house and if you donate a crazy amount they'll make you the mayor. Also there are bandit lairs and if one is close to a village it will attack it sometimes. If you wipe out all the bandits they don't come anymore and they have lots of treasure in their bases. Pretty cool stuff.
That would certainly be nice. Villagers would require quite some intelligent behaviour in order to seem believable. Neither my I'm-just-standing-here-forever-traders nor the run-around-like-crazy mobs from other mob mods will do. It would be great if mobs could stick (mostly) to the streets, walk there, meet each other, turn to the visitor and come over for a chat, go to the pub or church sometimes, tend to their fields and go sleeping in their beds at night.

CrazyDaisy

by CrazyDaisy » Post

A village mod would be lovely. It may be some ways in the future though for a decent one. One could probably be hacked together today by someone with the knowledge and skill.

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

try the voxellar game :D it has great villages and clever trading ang fighting villagers!
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

azekill_DIABLO wrote:try the voxellar game :D it has great villages and clever trading ang fighting villagers!
100% Tested by me... Maybe it gives a bit of lag, but this can give just too much.
Have a nice day! :D

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

Thanks!
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

theFox
GitHub: theFox6
In-game: theFox

by theFox » Post

I felt the same, so I started building a mod for working villages. I have a Lumberjack now, but I will need some time until it has got all or at least some of the features.
my mods and subgames (ง'̀-'́)ง

XtremeHacker
GitHub: MisterXtreme
IRC: MrXtreme
In-game: MrXtreme

by XtremeHacker » Post

About villager mobs, I don't have any ideas.

As for performance though, I've found OS X to be terrible for Minetest, I suggest installing any 'Buntu based distro in a dual-boot, and run Minetest from there (I use Xubuntu).
If you say that

Code: Select all

function.name_of_thing_to_do
is impossible, then you didn't try hard enough. :P

Mods I work on: MicroExpansion

ABJ
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

by ABJ » Post

Villagers are for Minecr*p. Get outta here Minepooper.

I hope you understand what I mean.

XtremeHacker

by XtremeHacker » Post

ABJ wrote:Villagers are for Minecr*p. Get outta here Minepooper.

I hope you understand what I mean.
So adding mobs that look like humans is to much lie Minecraft, OK, guess we got to stop being a voxel game too, because Minecraft is!
:P
If you say that

ABJ
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

by ABJ » Post

Yes indeed! Let's stop being a voxel game at once! Let's be CircleTest!

XtremeHacker

by XtremeHacker » Post

ABJ wrote:Yes indeed! Let's stop being a voxel game at once! Let's be CircleTest!
OK, I'm glad that you are being sarcastic, hard to tell when you are talking via text (and you didn't use emoji >:( ). :P
If you say that

theFox
GitHub: theFox6
In-game: theFox

by theFox » Post

theFox wrote:I felt the same, so I started building a mod for working villages. I have a Lumberjack now, but I will need some time until it has got all or at least some of the features.
Released the mod, you can find the link in my signature.
But it's not ready for survival yet. Just click the link and find out.
my mods and subgames (ง'̀-'́)ง

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

We certainly need more in the area of villagers.

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

"Villagers" have already been in mobs redo.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Those in mobs redo are still a bit limited. And they're not villagers as such. They're just humanoid npc that roam the world and wait for players to come along with tasty bread, feed and breed them. They've got no association with houses or villages and know nothing about them.

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

No such "villagers" mod, only npc`s mods. They can replace of villagers!