What's Minetest still missing over Minecraft?

MineYoshi

Re: What's Minetest still missing over Minecraft?

by MineYoshi » Post

burli wrote:I played the Minecraft demo a little bit. From the mapgen side Minetest needs three things

1. More trees. Minetest has only 5 or 6 different trees, Minecraft has around 20
2. More decoration for biomes. Some biomes look too similar
3. Minetest needs more control over the terrain. Minetest just throws a few noises in a map chunk but has no idea how the terrain looks like. Minecraft always knows if there is a plain, a river, a hill or a mountain
I would like that this mapgen be better... But with the one from now i'm happe and ok! :D
Have a nice day! :D

pcpcpc13
GitHub: pcpcpc12
In-game: pcpcpc13

by pcpcpc13 » Post

We should be happy with minetest. Just be original and make minetest minetest. We can go on our own path with this game. It's open source

pcpcpc13
GitHub: pcpcpc12
In-game: pcpcpc13

by pcpcpc13 » Post

MineYoshi wrote:
burli wrote:I played the Minecraft demo a little bit. From the mapgen side Minetest needs three things

1. More trees. Minetest has only 5 or 6 different trees, Minecraft has around 20
2. More decoration for biomes. Some biomes look too similar
3. Minetest needs more control over the terrain. Minetest just throws a few noises in a map chunk but has no idea how the terrain looks like. Minecraft always knows if there is a plain, a river, a hill or a mountain
I would like that this mapgen be better... But with the one from now i'm happe and ok! :D
I think the mapgen is like this because minetest isn't a Java game.

burli

by burli » Post

pcpcpc13 wrote: I think the mapgen is like this because minetest isn't a Java game.
Because Java is the only language to write a good mapgen?

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

burli wrote:
pcpcpc13 wrote: I think the mapgen is like this because minetest isn't a Java game.
Because Java is the only language to write a good mapgen?
I think burli knows, but java makes a big performance change...
Also C isn't so "bad" as you think! The actual mapgen it's a lot better than the one from legacy versions...
It only needs more work, but what the devs have been doing since many time ago has worked and improved the mapgen :D

orwell
GitHub: orwell96
IRC: orwell96_mt
In-game: orwell

by orwell » Post

We really shoud make our own game. The only thing we are missing over minecraft are paid developers, if we had them, one would finally implementiert client side lua.:)
Lua is great!
List of my mods
I like singing. I like dancing. I like ... niyummm...

programmingchicken
GitHub: pchicken
IRC: chicken pchicken

by programmingchicken » Post

orwell wrote:We really shoud make our own game. The only thing we are missing over minecraft are paid developers, if we had them, one would finally implement client side lua.:)
But then wouldn't minetest die? Because who has the money for that guy's job?
<gamerdude> I apologize for the above content

orwell
GitHub: orwell96
IRC: orwell96_mt
In-game: orwell

by orwell » Post

programmingchicken wrote:
orwell wrote:We really shoud make our own game. The only thing we are missing over minecraft are paid developers, if we had them, one would finally implement client side lua.:)
Exactly that's the point, and the reason why we can't change it.
The good news: it proceeds only slower, so one day we will have it done.
Lua is great!
List of my mods
I like singing. I like dancing. I like ... niyummm...

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

orwell wrote:
programmingchicken wrote:
Exactly that's the point, and the reason why we can't change it.
The good news: it proceeds only slower, so one day we will have it done.
Slow, but reliable...

programmingchicken
GitHub: pchicken
IRC: chicken pchicken

by programmingchicken » Post

MineYoshi wrote: Slow, but reliable...
Slow and steady wins the race...
haha get rekt mc
<gamerdude> I apologize for the above content

MykieDoesStuff

by MykieDoesStuff » Post

I love the ideas and things going on, HOWEVER, I feel like this thread should be more organized now.

Would you guys like me to type up all the ideas, and comparison between these both game/engine?

Reading this thread gives me a bit of headache. It's mostly people replying to each post and expanding the ideas.

There should be a bubble map. A sense of direction where the minetest community should develop and push forward.

Sure Minetest can be bland and boring, but that can be improved. Sure Minecraft is pretty much a finished game, but they're keep adding in new contents and fun things regularly.

Minetest should do that.

I feel that the Minetest community is a complete mess. Honestly I don't see any organization.

Maybe the forum need a rework and there should be like the giant board for all the ideas and things. Maybe there need to be more section and places and a section of all completed and updated mods.

I don't know exactly, but I feel like things should be more organized now. Maybe this is why Minetest is "falling behind"

Honestly, when I play Minetest right now, I get bored. When I play Minecraft now, I get bored. But when I play with other people the game is so much more fun.

You make up goals with others and such. Teamwork is involved and things.

If you're playing solo, yeah it'll get boring quickly, but if you really want to play solo then there could be harder mobs and such. That when comes a new us game and such.

I'm just speaking out of my mind right now and what I think. Sorry if my typing is bad or complete mess.

But to the point:

Minetest needs to have a more organized to push forward and development and make it easier for all of us.

And to have more fun, create goals with more people.

P.S. I was typing on the phone, so excuse my typos or autocorrect. It can be a pain...

That's... Pretty much all I got to say rn
For fast response... send me a PM

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

I'm ok with the "organisation" by now...
The reason is the fact that some people goes so "offtopic" sometimes...

The actual Minetest (With some mods) can challenge MineCraft as well...
I think many modders from MC would be in heaven with Minetest, after all has an API, and that makes everything easy! :D
Even a little kiddo can do a mod :D Adding his own block.

Byakuren
GitHub: raymoo
IRC: Hijiri
In-game: Raymoo + Clownpiece

by Byakuren » Post

MC has the unofficial Forge API, which has lots of features, and is designed in a way to increase compatibility between mods, so I think it's reasonable to assume that at least some MC modders would not be satisfied with the Minetest API. It's harder to get started though, involving a lot more ritual to get going, so modders might appreciate the relative simplicity of writing Minetest mods.

As with Minecraft though, a good standard collection of framework mods could make up for the incompatibility problems.
Every time a mod API is left undocumented, a koala dies.

MykieDoesStuff

by MykieDoesStuff » Post

True because that is a completely different engine and code..... But it shouldn't affect Minetest too much because we already have most of the basic mod needed for a basic game....

It's just the matter of how we use our resources now.

burli

by burli » Post

What's missing in Minetest? View range. Currently I play with max_block_generate_distance = 16 and a view range of 200 to 250. But it seams that higher max_block_generate_distance have no more effect

And this view range is still not enough for a good "feeling"

MykieDoesStuff

by MykieDoesStuff » Post

burli wrote:What's missing in Minetest? View range. Currently I play with max_block_generate_distance = 16 and a view range of 200 to 250. But it seams that higher max_block_generate_distance have no more effect

And this view range is still not enough for a good "feeling"
Could this be possible by server limitation?

You could press R, but it'll lag a lot last time I played...

burli

by burli » Post

No, I had to set

Code: Select all

max_block_generate_distance = 16
max_block_send_distance = 16
forgot the last value. Now it is better. But Minetest is still not able to use the full power of my hardware

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

burli wrote:No, I had to set

Code: Select all

max_block_generate_distance = 16
max_block_send_distance = 16
forgot the last value. Now it is better. But Minetest is still not able to use the full power of my hardware
Try enabling all the shaders, make view_range bigger... Can't wait to see the FrameRate!

burli

by burli » Post

MineYoshi wrote: Try enabling all the shaders, make view_range bigger... Can't wait to see the FrameRate!
I don't have a high end PC, so it is no problem to get the frame rate below 10 if you set everything to highest values and look over a dense forest. But in most cases the frame rate is above 30

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

burli wrote:
MineYoshi wrote: Try enabling all the shaders, make view_range bigger... Can't wait to see the FrameRate!
I don't have a high end PC, so it is no problem to get the frame rate below 10 if you set everything to highest values and look over a dense forest. But in most cases the frame rate is above 30
So what do you want to do about, Gettin' all the hardware?

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

MineClone 2

by Wuzzy » Post

While everyone here complains about what Minetest is still apparently “lacking” (compared to Minecraft), I am making a Minecraft clone in Minetest:

MineClone 2

xD

Byakuren
GitHub: raymoo
IRC: Hijiri
In-game: Raymoo + Clownpiece

by Byakuren » Post

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but we should also consider what Minetest is lacking as a modding platform compared to Minecraft Forge, since that is the main platform for Minecraft mods.

I can think of a couple of things off the top of my head:
  • Mods can create their own dimensions, including during gameplay
  • Mods can create custom client-side GUI elements and effects
  • Tile entity things?
  • Mobs have nice movement and pathfinding (I'm assuming these are available to modders in Forge)
  • Mods can add more controls than the default (may not be an advantage if you consider mobile)
The second one at least is in progress for Minetest, and the first point has been discussed at (excessive?) length on Github.
Every time a mod API is left undocumented, a koala dies.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Byakuren wrote:Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but we should also consider what Minetest is lacking as a modding platform compared to Minecraft Forge, since that is the main platform for Minecraft mods.
We don’t even need to compare it to Forge. Just have a look on what Resource Packs are capable of doing. Or all the internal API stuff that is changable by a shit-ton of userspace commands and configuration options.

It makes me sad that a closed-source game owned by microsoft and developed in obfuscated Java code has a better modding API and options than an open-source engine intended to be a modding platform.

Some devs (unfortunately those with the most influence) are even strongly arguing against more configuration options or extending the API to allow more changes of the core features.

ABJ
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

by ABJ » Post

The attitude of quite a lot of Minetesters and devs is just sad. "Minetest is not Minecraft. STFU and GTFO. Period. We don't give a damn what you 12-year-old creeperheads want."

burli

by burli » Post

Sounds like "Linux is not Windows"