[Mod]mymonths[mymonths]

Don
GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

Re: [Mod]mymonths[mymonths]

by Don » Post

I like the idea. The only thing I am concerned with is minetest.f ind_nodes_in_area. This might be an issue with speed if called too much.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

luewind
In-game: luewind

by luewind » Post

I wrote up a quick chat command to let me run around and get the probability of the spot your standing on melting and tweaked it till I thought it looked reasonable. ice plains and icebergs are a 0.04-0% chance of melting, taiga forests are a ~2-3% chance of melting, and normal plains have a ~4-5% chance of melting (using the test world I made and had snow storms going for ~2 hours IRL). I would like to skew these number a bit more (maybe add another biased list count for pine logs?) but I didn't want to make it too complex or have it find_nodes_in_area scan too big of an area.

Code: Select all

core.register_chatcommand("get_melt_prob", {
	params = "", description = "returns the probability of a node melting at the players possition",
	func = function(name, param)
		local pos = minetest.get_player_by_name(name):getpos()
		local list1 = minetest.find_nodes_in_area({x=pos.x-3,y=pos.y-2,z=pos.z-3},{x=pos.x+3,y=pos.y,z=pos.z+3},{"default:ice", "default:snowblock"})
		local list2 = minetest.find_nodes_in_area({x=pos.x-3,y=pos.y-2,z=pos.z-3},{x=pos.x+3,y=pos.y,z=pos.z+3},{"mymonths:snow_cover_5","mymonths:snow_cover_4",
				"mymonths:snow_cover_3","mymonths:snow_cover_2","mymonths:snow_cover_1"})
		-- list1 is snow blocks and ice, list 2 is snow cover nodes
		local count = 2 * table.getn(list1) + table.getn(list2)
		local prob = 1 - count/147
		prob = math.max(tonumber(string.format("%.2f", prob * 10)), 0)
		minetest.chat_send_player(name, "probability od melthing here is: " .. prob .. "%")
		return
	end
})
I was also thinking about adding Ice freezing and thawing but didn't now if that's too much or too out of scope.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

It might be a great game for singleplayer. It doesn't really work out in multiplayer. Getting food is tricky as the seasons follow the servers uptime and not the players online time. Thus, seasons for growing and harvesting may easily be missed. Winter leaves do not give saplings. The test server is extremly laggy. No sheep has yet been sighted. Perhaps they only spawn on unmodified dirt_with_grass.

As to the test server: The seasonal leaves are beautiful. A snowstorm can be very impressive. Rain feels really rainy. Weather and seasons do work well. Thunderstorms create fires here and there. The landscape changing only on approach might not be avoidable, but it sometimes looks a bit odd if you see summer trees in winter just some couple of meters away.

It seems to be a very entertaining mod for singleplayer. Could make survival better.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Nathan.S
GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21

by Nathan.S » Post

Currently plants don't care about the month when it comes to growing, though I do plan on trying to implement that. It would make farming on a server trickier, if a player didn't long on very often, but there is always hunting that can be done, or trading.

We didn't make any changes to any mobs, so sheep will only spawn on the original nodes they are set to spawn on. One would have to change the code for the sheep to make them spawn on any of the nodes that this mod adds.

The LBMs should take care of much of the differences in the flora, though yes you'll probably see it for a second or two before it changes, though if you're moving slowly doing other things as you go along you might not ever notice it.
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website, and brand new Minetest Modding Course

luewind
In-game: luewind

by luewind » Post

In the last merge I put forward if snow accumulation is turned on then plant nodes can be removed if snow falls on them, so outdoor farms will not work in the winter months. Building a "green house" (having glass blocks above the plants) is a solution to growing plants during the winter.

I put in a merge request with some changes to prevent snow and rain from getting through transparent nodes like glass. I realized this issue when I was playing and snow was building up inside my green house and destroying all my crops. It also annoyed me when rain particles were showing when I was inside my green house so I fixed this as well, luckily the fix was the same for both.

Nathan.S

by Nathan.S » Post

I've merged the pull request, so rain and snow won't fall through glass or other transparent nodes.

snoopy

no grass after winter - mymonths

by snoopy » Post

First place I want to thank you for this module and the creative functionality. My kids and me like the weather changes and the seasons effects very much. The water puddles are a great idea.

However, there seem to be some flaws with the current module as of 2016-09-08 running on a local 0.4.14 dedicated server. I copied your module from minetest-mods project.

Main issue is our world gets no grass and no flowers after winter and snow flattened the surface. Dirt remains dirt and does not change to dirt with grass. Thus I took a brief look into some of your code and would like to hint at IMHO false syntax and flawed semantics. I would hope this may help to solve the apparent issues.

(1) In file flowers.lua the code always returns and does not reach the code intended for March and April, I presume.

minetest.register_abm({
	nodenames = {'group:soil'},
	interval = 240,
	chance = 100,

action = function (pos)

-- return if not march or april
		if mymonths.month_counter ~=  3
		or mymonths.month_counter ~=  4 then
			return
		end
Unfortunately, the condition (mc ~= 3 OR mc ~= 4) is always true.

The correct condition should be (mc ~= 3 AND mc ~= 4) and one may refer to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Morgan%27s_laws.

So the relevant code fragment should be corrected to:

-- return if not March or April
		if mymonths.month_counter ~= 3
		and mymonths.month_counter ~= 4 then
			return
		end
This would give a chance to grow flowers in March and April.

(2) In file grass.lua the code has a wrong syntax ref to http://dev.minetest.net/minetest.register_abm.

Please change nodename to nodenames for consistency with the API syntax definition.

minetest.register_abm({
	nodename = {'mymonths:fall_grass'},
	interval = 60,
	chance = 40,
	action = function (pos, node, active_object_count, active_object_count_wider)
		if mymonths.month_counter == 4 then
			minetest.set_node(pos, {name = 'default:dirt_with_grass'})
	end
end
})
BTW does the concept of Lua allow any syntax checks to avoid such hassling typos remaining undetected?

(3) Furthermore, unloading the module results in a world heavily polluted with unknown leaves and dirt elements (as would happen with other modules too). Would there be any chance to get some repair function with the mymonths module which would return to default nodes in combination with an appropriate settings.txt setup? The idea would be to not unload the module but to deactivating the loaded module with a settings flag accordingly.

TheReaperKing

by TheReaperKing » Post

My students and I have been loving this mod! They go crazy especially when it snows, maybe being in Florida is a part of that.

We did have some ideas to suggest, hopefully I remember them all:

1) In the spring time, what if the flowers bloom/sprout too? Maybe even the grass and vegetation would come to life more as well.
2) Perhaps the rainfall could work with the crops mod. The rain could potentially water or even over water the crops.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11795
3) I'm not sure if it is possible but maybe in the monsoon seasons there could possibly be floods.

Thanks for your great work on this mod! Right now the leaves are growing again in the trees and it looks so awesome! Take care.
-Mike
PS Just a quick note I believe it was August that was spelled incorrectly.

EDIT with the flowers and grass I just realized I should have looked more closely at the post about mine xD Thanks for that!
Last edited by TheReaperKing on Sun Oct 23, 2016 16:33, edited 1 time in total.
Become A Real Life Superhero - http://SuperheroHill.com
Project Lead of the Doom 3 Mod Last Man Standing - http://Doom3Coop.com
Project Lead of Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker - http://SandboxGameMaker.com
Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/PlatinumArtsKids

orwell
GitHub: orwell96
IRC: orwell96_mt
In-game: orwell

by orwell » Post

We now have attached particle spawners!
Is someone working on the weather reimplementation? Would make the weather particles far less laggy!
I didn't test this yet, but it looks good.
Lua is great!
List of my mods
I like singing. I like dancing. I like ... niyummm...

snoopy

Re: no grass after winter - mymonths

by snoopy » Post

I agree with Sokomine's post and his observations. Anyway Sokomine seems to be a pro and I am just a newbie here.
Sokomine wrote: It seems to be a very entertaining mod for singleplayer. Could make survival better.
IMHO this mod appears to be work in progress would need an improved integration for multi-player and a more consistent concept of world interaction.

Issues/Observations:
  1. After applying the proposed change (1) to the code for flowers.lua the flowers grow. However the flowers grow in caves too and there seems to be no check for light conditions.
  2. The proposed minor change (2) to the code for grass.lua is a solution to regrow dirt_with_grass and getting fall_grass instead of dirt. However, there seems to be a lack of default:grass_1 and higher grass. The fall_grass should look brown (50%) apparently but does not.
  3. The falling rain makes mobs/monsters ascending into the sky like space rockets. They may not return and may either starve in unknown heights or get killed after high fall.
  4. Look and behavior on default trees including falling apples are quite reasonable and the sticks are good for survival too.
Proposals:
  1. Area around avatar: Snow should melt immediatedly i.e. be deleted when months are beyond April and before the snowing months.
  2. Area around avatar: The trees should show summer leaves immediately and grow apples when months are beyond April and before the late summer.
  3. Water could show ice in winter months.
  4. Falling rain and other weather should give no sounds in deep (-100 ?) caves.
  5. Again, a repair function as mentioned before as (3) would be great.
Thanks for your efforts and looking forward to your very creative work.

Nathan.S

by Nathan.S » Post

Snoopy, I've fixed the conditional error you pointed out, good catch, also changed the fall_dirt registration to make it work with the new grass spread function from the default mod. It was recently changed, and may have broken the spreading of the grass in game. I tested and it seemed to work fine.

The fall grass is only the dirt_with_grass nodes, the actual grass plants aren't effected with a fall version at all, though that could be a good idea, something to look into in the morning.

I'll look into keeping the flowers from growing in caves, should be able to just do a light check, though that will make the function slightly more computationally expensive.

Feel free to make my pull requests on the git repo, we can always use more good coders. :)

TheReaperKing

by TheReaperKing » Post

Thank you Nathan!!
Project Lead of Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker - http://SandboxGameMaker.com

Nathan.S

by Nathan.S » Post

I need to also look into how to get plants from other mods to grow in the spring time too, not the crop style, but other flowers, grasses, etc. I imagine I could use some sort of table, and if a mod is loaded, add its plants to that table and randomly select from that table to grow in the game.

Modifying crops so they only grow during the right time of the year is already on our list of planned things, just not sure when we'll get to it. LOL

snoopy

by snoopy » Post

Thanks a lot for the kind words and the quick update to your mod.

Now learning Lua and making myself more familiar with minetest modding I wonder if you would be so kind to look into the performance of my following proposal. I would appreciate any advice and discussion.

In file leaves.lua you invent some procedures to nicely make the autumn come into the world. Momentarily I concentrate on the leaves getting colours.

This is your part of code:

-- leaves changing in September and October.
minetest.register_abm({
	nodenames = {'group:leaves'},
	interval = 60,
	chance = 40,
	action = function (pos, node, active_object_count, active_object_count_wider)

if mymonths.month_counter == 9
		or mymonths.month_counter == 10 then

if node.name == 'default:leaves' then

minetest.set_node(pos, {name = 'mymonths:leaves_pale_green'})

elseif node.name == 'mymonths:leaves_pale_green' then

minetest.set_node(pos, {name = 'mymonths:leaves_orange'})

elseif node.name == 'mymonths:leaves_orange' then

minetest.set_node(pos, {name = 'mymonths:leaves_red'})

elseif node.name == 'mymonths:leaves_red' then

minetest.set_node(pos, {name = 'mymonths:sticks_default'})

elseif node.name == 'default:aspen_leaves' then

minetest.set_node(pos, {name = 'mymonths:leaves_yellow_aspen'})

elseif node.name == 'mymonths:leaves_yellow_aspen' then

minetest.set_node(pos, {name = 'mymonths:leaves_orange_aspen'})

elseif node.name == 'mymonths:leaves_orange_aspen' then

minetest.set_node(pos, {name = 'mymonths:leaves_red_aspen'})
			end
		end
	end
})
IMHO the a.m. code in registering the abm gives all the leave nodes i.e. 'group:leaves' in the world the job to process the case chain during months Sep and Oct. So many leaves which never get coloured (e.g. jungle tree leaves) get this abm activated at 1:40 ratio i.e. 2,5% chance and go through the complete chain just for leaving without any true action to the world.

EDIT: chance = 40 is a ratio at 1:40 i.e. 2,5% (or 2,5 per hundred) chance and not 40% as I wrote first.

I took the liberty to invent an alternative. The code is working and should show the same results in the world by activating only such leaves which have a chance to get coloured. However this registers seven abms instead of one.

This is my proposal for an alternative to your a.m. part of code:

-- leaves changing in September and October.
local newleaves_table = {
	{old = "default:leaves", new = "mymonths:leaves_pale_green"},
	{old = "mymonths:leaves_pale_green", new = "mymonths:leaves_orange"},
	{old = "mymonths:leaves_orange", new = "mymonths:leaves_red"},
	{old = "mymonths:leaves_red", new = "mymonths:sticks_default"},
	{old = "default:aspen_leaves", new = "mymonths:leaves_yellow_aspen"},
	{old = "mymonths:leaves_yellow_aspen", new = "mymonths:leaves_orange_aspen"},
	{old = "mymonths:leaves_orange_aspen", new = "mymonths:leaves_red_aspen"}
}

for i in pairs(newleaves_table) do
	minetest.register_abm({
		nodenames = {newleaves_table[i].old},
		interval = 60,
		chance = 40,
		action = function (pos)

if mymonths.month_counter == 9
			or mymonths.month_counter == 10 then
				minetest.set_node(pos, {name = newleaves_table[i].new})
			end

end
	})
end
I would be interested in comparing with your original the pros and cons of the newly designed code as well as the performance aspects in the minetest world but did not make the effort to investigate the documentation on minetest performance if there is any available.

NB
I already have made a new experimental mod named myrepairs which is aimed at a module to repair some remains of former active but now deactivated modules. This mod either camouflages unknown nodes by application of minetest.register_alias or thoroughly repairs i.e. changes unknown nodes into applicably known nodes with minetest.set_node alternatively.

Furthermore, I cloned the mymonths repository from minetest-mods after I have installed Git via MacPorts on Mac OS X with sudo port install git +svn +doc +gitweb and may approach you with further results on the mymonths mod via Git in the future.

Nathan.S

by Nathan.S » Post

This is going to sound horrible, but I've never been too worried about the overhead on any of my mods, mainly because my desktop is a beast, that said. I do agree with you, that using group:leaves does probably create a higher load than using individual ABMs for the different leave types. From a theoretic standpoint a single ABM running on all the leaves is probably heavier than seven ABMs running on specific leaves, but I don't know how much overhead there is between the ABM call and when the leave stops any thing from happening because it isn't one of the defined types. I would be interested to see what the actually performance differences would be between my code and your code.

I know there is some way to profile mods, and see what kind of processing power they use, and time spent, but with not every being too worried about that, I've never looked into it.

Don
GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Post

I think tenplus1 is who you should talk to about this. He is great with knowing the good/bad of this. His mobs are the most popular. I wish I could help but I have a personal issue that I have to deal with
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

snoopy

by snoopy » Post

Nathan.S wrote:This is going to sound horrible, ...
I know there is some way to profile mods, and see what kind of processing power they use, and time spent, but with not every being too worried about that, I've never looked into it.
Please accept my apologies. I am just interested in learning modding by example of your mod and how to give this mod a more acceptable performance in multi-player minetest. Your mod shows many side effects in multi-player like other plants not growing and a quite regular crash when rain begins to fall while four or more players are around. However, I fully agree this is of minor interest for single-players.
Nevertheless I would inform you of performance results later and I will try to not hassle you too much in the meantime.
Don wrote:I think tenplus1 is who you should talk to about this. He is great with knowing the good/bad of this. His mobs are the most popular. I wish I could help but I have a personal issue that I have to deal with
Good advice. I am quite aware of the positive influence Tenplus1 shows around this forum and I like his mods.

Last not least this should be for fun mostly and all of us should enjoy their freedom in minetest without any pressure.

TheReaperKing

by TheReaperKing » Post

What plants aren't growing? Also that's odd that it has crashed on you. I use it every day with my students and if it has crashed it has only been once or twice but not in a long time.

Nathan.S

by Nathan.S » Post

TheReaperKing the only plants that will "sprout" in the spring are the default flowers, but I think there is a group used to kill the plants in the fall.

I need to add support for other plant mods and add them to a table and then randomly select from that table to spawn them.

snoopy

by snoopy » Post

TheReaperKing wrote:What plants aren't growing? Also that's odd that it has crashed on you. I use it every day with my students and if it has crashed it has only been once or twice but not in a long time.
Papyrus is not growing when planted as it should. My server populates quite a list of mods and this (together with the default debug settings of the build) may lead to the crash issue with the rain. Our mobs (i.e. monsters and animals) from mobs_redo are going rockets during rain as mentioned in this forum before. After the official update we got a desert almost completely covered with dry shrubs, too much flowers on grass, flowers in the caves and jungles.

Several of my independent changes show promising results but lastly I implemented a repair mod for myself which cleaned our world (i.e. by set_node not alias) after I now unloaded mymonths mod. Trees, flowers and dirt_with_grass are active as the default, desert like Sahara, jungle green and planted papyrus is growing again. The coding work was and is fun and I am able to learn both Lua and Minetest modding by example of the mymonths mod.

No offense but I am reluctant to go into further details. Apparently Nathan.S is quite happy with single-player (which is absolutely acceptable to me) and as it looks I may have a different attitude on the way of coding. Now this is going to sound horrible from my side, IMHO the solution could be a fork or a copy of ideas as new mod from my side in some future if I find the time.

Lets have fun. I would like to repeat this is quite a creative work and the mod is providing very nice ideas.

snoopy

by snoopy » Post

Nathan.S wrote:TheReaperKing the only plants that will "sprout" in the spring are the default flowers, but I think there is a group used to kill the plants in the fall.
I agree.
Nathan.S wrote:I need to add support for other plant mods and add them to a table and then randomly select from that table to spawn them.
Sounds reasonable. However, what about making just an alias as "air" for the winter and removing this alias in the spring, if this would be possible with the API?

Nathan.S

by Nathan.S » Post

Snoopy, I do plan on working more in this for multiplayer as when I eventually start my own server I do want to use this mod.
I just need more time to work on it.

TheReaperKing

by TheReaperKing » Post

I was mostly just wondering what plants Snoopy was referring to that weren't growing.

snoopy

by snoopy » Post

Papyrus is a source for crafting paper and sugar. The unwanted effect on papyrus should be quite obvious.
TheReaperKing wrote:I was mostly just wondering what plants Snoopy was referring to that weren't growing.
Please be aware that Nathan.S made at least two updates to the mod during the discussion since 2016-08-23. Furthermore my reply was referring to the thread of the discussion and not just your post.

For a more complete picture you have to wait a complete cycle of the year or you can use proposedly /setmonth sep and /setmonth nov and /setmonth apr to play around with major phase changes. You may use /setweather snow or /setweather rain and other privilege options of the mymonths mod too.

Nathan.S

by Nathan.S » Post

Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to put some time into getting the plants working. I just learned some new things about tables while creating another mod, so I might know how to make this work now. :)