#ThePixelShadow Creative and Survival World

MangleFox70
GitHub: Cat5TV
IRC: MangleFox70
In-game: MangleFox70

#ThePixelShadow Creative and Survival World

by MangleFox70 » Post

Come be a part of #ThePixelShadow by joining the world created for the show!

Our goal is to built a server and community that allows novice and experienced Minetest players alike to experience some of the builds and mini-games as seen on the show, plus join in the fun by building your own structures which may find their way to the show.

More information coming soon, and this Sunday we'll be featuring the server on The Pixel Shadow, so login and have a look around.

Basic Rules:
- No griefing. Also, please use the commands detailed in Episode 4 to protect your builds.
- Be kind. We welcome all ages and expect respectful behavior and child-friendly discussions.

Address: servers.minetest.tv
Port: 30000 (creative), 30001 (survival)

Known Issues:
- FIXED February 1, 2016 - New users don't receive "areas" privilege. For now, ask MangleFox70 or RobbieF to grant you the privilege to protect your areas. This will be fixed no later than February 2, 2016.
- MyArcade mod results in bad placement if user is not cautious. This resulted in some grief near the spawn after a new user placed a bunch of Pacmine games. For the time being, this mod has been removed. Thanks to those players who pitched in during the cleanup to get rid of all the unknown blocks.
- The Technic mod causes the server to crash (something to do with quarries)... for now, we've disabled the mod but hope to do more testing to get it up and running soon. It's possible it will work better on a -dev build, so that's what we'll be deploying.

Please let us know if you encounter any issues, or if you have any suggestions for how we may make it even better.

More details and some screenshots coming soon (we'll wait until a few of you have had a chance to build your structures).

You can add your own skin to our server by visiting https://minetest.tv/skin-converter.php

Have fun!
Last edited by MangleFox70 on Mon Feb 15, 2016 22:19, edited 5 times in total.
#ThePixelShadow on YouTube
A Weekly Minetest Webcast hosted by MangleFox70
Have a mod you'd like featured? Want to participate in our show? Join servers.minetest.tv Port 30000 for creative or 30001 for survival.
Upload your own skin via our web site: Minetest.TV

dkelley810
GitHub: dkelley810
IRC: Dennis_Kelley
In-game: dkelley810

Re: #ThePixelShadow Creative World

by dkelley810 » Post

Awesome Server! I like the added touches you have added!

MangleFox70

by MangleFox70 » Post

Thanks dkelley810. It's still young but we're very excited to be tweaking it and making it as good as we possibly can. Initial testing has gone very well. Looking forward to seeing your builds!
Have a mod you'd like featured? Want to participate in our show? Join servers.minetest.tv Port 30000 for creative or 30001 for survival.

Nathan.S
GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21

by Nathan.S » Post

I assume you got the unknown blocks from myarcade cleaned up by now, but worldedit is an amazing mod when it comes to things like that, just make a selection of an area by selecting two corners and fill with air and all the blocks are gone. Just used it for the first time today and I love it.
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website, and brand new Minetest Modding Course

MangleFox70

by MangleFox70 » Post

Thanks Nathan.S. We've been looking at worldedit... it looks amazing, but is tough to get my head around it. I think once we have gotten through things like getting Technic to work properly (without crashing) and reducing the ability for people to grief (eg., disabling lava and water source) then we'll start looking at more.

Yes, thankfully our community was very helpful and took care of the unknown blocks for us!

MangleFox70

SERVER UPGRADE, POSSIBLE DOWNTIME

by MangleFox70 » Post

We're done testing! The server is being migrated to its "permanent home" this weekend! We have a very powerful server (8 core Xeon workstation with ECC RAM running Debian Stretch) going on a 200 Mbit/sec connection. It'll be super fast, and should be super reliable.

Thanks to everyone who has been playing on our test server! Don't worry, we'll be moving the world files over to the new hardware, so while we may have a few hours downtime this weekend while we migrate, all your builds are safe and will be there when we boot up the new server.

Nothing changes in your configuration... the Creative Server is servers.minetest.tv:30000.

Also big thanks to this great community for helping us by answering my dumb questions when I needed to figure things out :) I'm sure there will be plenty more questions, but I'm getting my head around it.

Nathan.S

by Nathan.S » Post

I took a look at the myArcade and myBoardgames mods, to see if I could easily add required privileges to place the boards, but they are both set up as modpacks, which means I would have to do a privilege for every individual mod.

Changing them so they don't show in creative might work, and you'd just have to get the spawn blocks with a giveme command, assuming of course that all players don't get that privilege. I'm going to do a bit of testing to see if I can use the same privilege for each game even though they are different mods, I'll update when I find something out.

UPDATE:
I can use the same privilege in multiple mods, I think I can just register it once in each mod pack, as all the submods will load before the game starts which should initiate the privs. I'll make forks of both of the modpacks and share the links once they are done.

Another Update:
The games all reset by replacing the schematic which would mean that normal player can't play the arcade games unless I can code something around who can get the place the placer nodes so any player could reset the games but not place them. I will continue looking.

MangleFox70

by MangleFox70 » Post

Amazing Nathan.S - so excited to see you're working on a workaround! This would be a lot of fun to have "Arcade Island" up and running on our Creative server! Thanks!!

Nathan.S

by Nathan.S » Post

MyArcade is ready to try out. You might want to test it out a bit on a local version before pushing to the server, but I couldn't break it.
Download here: https://github.com/NathanSalapat/myArcade
I'll be starting work on myboardgames next. Now that I know the code I need it shouldn't take long.

Update:
I have updated all the code for the boardgames so they all require the player to have the myboardgame priv to be able to place the games.
Download here: https://github.com/NathanSalapat/myboardgames

All games in both the arcade and boardgames are able to be reset by any player, there is nothing I can do about people griefing a boardgame when people are playing it, as there is no way to know when people are playing or not.

I have no idea what protection will do to the games, I'd guess it would keep people from being able to move pieces around, but possibly you could just protect the actually board and not the playing pieces if necessary.

MangleFox70

by MangleFox70 » Post

That's AMAZING Nathan.S - can't wait to give it a try. We're just polishing the edges on the server, making it as stable as can be... updating software and so-on and then we can start playing with this! Thank you SO much!!

Nathan.S

Re: #ThePixelShadow Creative and Survival World

by Nathan.S » Post

No problem, I enjoyed the challenge, plus I'd really like to see those games in a server as I know the mod creator and he'll be thrilled to see them.

Martno

by Martno » Post

Nice server with lots of mods :)
Although I wouldn't call this server survival. I know there is hunger, but the fly and fast privs make things easy. And i didn't met any hostile mobs. Are there any?
I like this server, I think it's good for building and have fun, but I don't think it's survival (but that's just my opinion :) ).
Some suggestions/ideas:
You could write some hints about how to protect areas (on the signs at spawn) to give new players help with chat commands.
Also you could add the Markers mod for Areas, which have a GUI so players don't have to type commands if they don't want to.

MangleFox70

by MangleFox70 » Post

Thanks Martno. Yes, we're still a young server and experimenting with default privileges. The only reason we have fly enabled is because we haven't got the magic carpet quite working yet ;) But that's the goal: something you can craft to let you fly, but no flight by default. For now, it's just a quick and dirty way to let people explore and settle the world while it's still young, and we'll tighten it up as it becomes more popular.

I'll look into Markers. If you have a specific mod in mind, please provide a link.

Thanks!

Martno

by Martno » Post

Oh OK, so it's like a work in progress.
Actually fly is very useful at the beginning, people can build the world much faster. I use it when I play on the server. I'm planning to build nice buildings in the future, maybe some mazes and parkour challenge stuff :)

By the way I like the idea of flying carpets :)

I have a lots of mods in mind, later I will write about them.

Martno

by Martno » Post

In case you didn't find:
Markers
viewtopic.php?id=8175

TenPlus1's mods are great and he is very active modder.
I like these:
Spoiler
Mobs Redo
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9917
Mobs are harder to kill, but have better drops. My favourite features: you can tame and breed animals, milk cow, you have to craft shears to get more wool from sheeps. This mod has lot of other cool features too.
I noticed, that buckets are disabled on the server. But you need empty bucket to milk cows. i think disabling the lava bucket only is enough on server, but I don't know.

Farming Redo
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9019
Lot of plants, foods. I like that plants are growing, even when no one is around.

Protector Redo
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9376
This is working differently than Areas, but it has cool features and I think both can be used. I like that it has locked wooden doors and protected trapdoors, and owner can share protected chests I think. Another feature I like is that people get hurt or drop their tools if trying to dig on protected land (I think it has to be configured to get this function)

Baked Clay
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8890
For nice walls.

Teleport Potion
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9234
I know that there are some teleport mods on the server, but this is interesting mod.

Other cool stuff:

Columnia
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9892
For building columns.

Real Clocks
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11385

Compass GPS
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9373

Fishing
https://github.com/MinetestForFun/fishing

taikedz
GitHub: taikedz
IRC: DuCake
In-game: DuCake

by taikedz » Post

Hello - I am trying to hunt down the mod you use to display the on-join messages and have so far come up empty.... would it be possible to be pointed to its github page or download link please?

Thanks

MangleFox70

by MangleFox70 » Post

I do not believe it is publicly available, sorry.
-RobbieF

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

Are these building servers?Do your servers use mods Advanced Trains or Not So Simple Mobs?

MangleFox70

by MangleFox70 » Post

Server info is on our web site.
You can get the mod list for all servers via http://servers.minetest.net