Some questions from a russian newbie

alan_derua
GitHub: alan-derua
In-game: alan_derua

Some questions from a russian newbie

by alan_derua » Post

Hello everyone!

I was searching for an open source alternative to minecraft and found this great project. I've played with it for couple days and decided to participate.

So the first step was to register on the forum. I've filled the form and clicked "Send'. And got the error message: "You IP is banned", although I wasn't behind a proxy or something. A regular connection from my ISP (Rostelekom, Russia). I don't send spam or something and never got such message before on any other site.

OK, can happen with a dynamic IP. So I connected from my german VPS. Clicked "Send" again and got one more error message: "Bad E-Mail".

Thats odd. I've a normal E-Mail from the biggest russian provider Yandex: alan.*****@yandex.ru. I have changed yandex.ru to yandex.com and was able to finish the registration.

Are russians not welcome here or how should I understand it? I mean why are *.ru emails are banned? Seems a bit insulting to me.

Yes, there are many russian "cyka blyat" players on the net. But to ban russian IP addresses and E-Mails... That's a bit to much.

MineYoshi

Re: Some questions from a russian newbie

by MineYoshi » Post

Generally many spammer bots come from ".ru" adresses... So i think that isn't for insulting, is more for "spam protection"...
Also, there are some Russian hackers out there too (Or people from other countries using Russia VPS)... So i think that's for protection...
Have a nice day! :D

alan_derua

by alan_derua » Post

Actually not. Most spam comes from China, then from USA, then from South Korea and then from Russia.

http://usa.kaspersky.com/internet-secur ... Al0CSRvHcc

Against spam you can use a captcha or something.
MineYoshi wrote:Also, there are some Russian hackers out there too (Or people from other countries using Russia VPS)
Do you really believe that a russian hacker would do something illegal from russian IP? If so FSB would get him very fast.

Russian VPS? They are useless, we have here many sites blocked and are getting our version of great china firewall soon.

hajo

by hajo » Post

alan_derua wrote:first step was to register on the forum.
got the error message: "You IP is banned", ..
got one more error message: "Bad E-Mail" .. alan.*****@yandex.ru
Try again with some throw-away email, e.g. from mailinator.com

alan_derua

by alan_derua » Post

hajo wrote:
alan_derua wrote:first step was to register on the forum.
got the error message: "You IP is banned", ..
got one more error message: "Bad E-Mail" .. alan.*****@yandex.ru
Try again with some throw-away email, e.g. from mailinator.com
Throw-away email provider with 60% market share. Sure. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yandex

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

alan_derua wrote:Actually not. Most spam comes from China, then from USA, then from South Korea and then from Russia.

http://usa.kaspersky.com/internet-secur ... Al0CSRvHcc

Against spam you can use a captcha or something.
Well... I guess it's a bit hard to add captcha to PhpBB registration? I don't know really because i really never developed or coded anything using Php or PhpBB so correct me if i'm a wrong =)

MineYoshi wrote:Also, there are some Russian hackers out there too (Or people from other countries using Russia VPS)
Do you really believe that a russian hacker would do something illegal from russian IP? If so FSB would get him very fast.

Russian VPS? They are useless, we have here many sites blocked and are getting our version of great china firewall soon.[/MineYoshi]
Actually for hiding identity sometimes is useful one!
But i guess i was wrong...
Have a nice day! :D

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

Banning IP addresses usually isn't "on purpose", this means that someone once got your IP on a blacklist and it's still there.

Not entirely sure why some .ru domains are banned for email addresses, c55 probably knows more about that.
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)