Disable "giveme" in singleplayer mode?

EdShouldBeInBed
In-game: EdShdBInBed

Disable "giveme" in singleplayer mode?

by EdShouldBeInBed » Post

Is it possible to revoke the "give" command in solo offline play?

More niche question: Is there a way to disable the give part of the gui in unified_inventory mod?

I'd prefer a way to do this so a particular game/ world can not re-instate it, but I'll take putting more steps between me and instant gratification. :)
I'm a writer who tinkers with code on occasion. I play minetest when insomnia makes the writing hard.

MineYoshi

Re: Disable "giveme" in singleplayer mode?

by MineYoshi » Post

Well, you can write this command "/revoke singleplayer give", that edits the "giveme" priv you have, and delete it. :) But if you want it again then write "/grant singleplayer give" and you'll have the "giveme" command again.

But i don't know how to get off the give part from unified_inventory, maybe you can try the F.A.Q (Frequent Asked Questions) that the mod probably has, or justly ask in the forum thread, surely somebody help you.
Have a nice day! :D

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

No.
More niche question: Is there a way to disable the give part of the gui in unified_inventory mod?
No. :-(

The problem is that singleplayer gets a huge amount of privileges granted and you cannot revoke them. They are granted forcefully, so to say. This practice is known to cause several problems, like making Unified Inventory way too powerful in singleplayer mode.
There's an issue on GitHub about giving singleplayer WAY less privileges by default, and also stop the force-granting: https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/4413

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

Wuzzy wrote:
No.
But i use "/revoke singleplayer give" in offline and it works? Then what's the problem?...
Have a nice day! :D

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Oops. MineYoshi is right. I must have been confused.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Update!
In the latest developer version of Minetest, the default privileges of singleplayer have been reduced to a minimal set for playing (interact, shout, privs, basic_privs). So you won't get “give” by default (but you can always use “/grant”, you cheater! :D).

Also, this new minimal set of privileges solves the biggest problems with Unified Inventory in singleplayer. Without give being granted by default, you also don't get the super give powers in the Unified Inventory. This is because Unified Inventory uses the privilege system to decide what you can do with it.

If you don't want to wait for next release, you can already now try to apply my workaround I posted in the Unified Inventory thread.

EdShouldBeInBed
In-game: EdShdBInBed

by EdShouldBeInBed » Post

Wuzzy, your initial answer made me very very sad. But I want you to know, the newer version's set up makes me very, very happy.
I'm a writer who tinkers with code on occasion. I play minetest when insomnia makes the writing hard.