[Mod] Minetest Game Plus [1.1.2] [mtg_plus]

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

[Mod] Minetest Game Plus [1.1.2] [mtg_plus]

by Wuzzy » Post

This is a mod for Minetest Game which gives you more stuff to build by adding various simple decorative blocks, stairs, slabs, doors, panes and other items.

Long description
Themes include:
  • Stone/cobblestone/sandstone
  • Snow and ice
  • Metal
  • Luxury (gold)
  • Papyrus
All additions are closely related to Minetest Game's existing items. I also try to keep compability with other (similar) mods and to minimize redundancy, so it should be relatively safe to install this mod.

All items can be crafted. Use a crafting guide mod to find out how.

See the project page for more information: https://codeberg.org/Wuzzy/minetest_mtg_plus

Download
https://codeberg.org/Wuzzy/minetest_mtg ... /1.1.2.zip

Feedback
Spoiler
Ideas for more decorative (!) blocks, doors and other stuff are very welcome. The more related to Minetest Game they are, the better. This includes:
  • Most important: Blocks/stairs/slabs
  • Walls
  • Doors
  • Panes
  • Beds
  • Ladders
  • Luxury items (especially made from gold)
  • Anything which you want to be crafted from rarely-used Minetest Game items, especially:
    • Gold ingot
    • Dry Shrub
    • Dry Grass
    • Wheat
    • Waterlily
    • Mese Crystal Fragment
    • Paper
    • Book
    • Papyrus
I prefer “obvious” and/or simple additions over far-fetched or complicated ideas. I also try to not repeat things added by similar mods like moreblocks or xdecor.

I also won't highly interactive blocks or anything which will significantly alter Minetest Game's core gameplay. The focus lies on building cool stuff by giving the player more stuff to build.
Spoiler
If you find any duplicates in this mod (i.e. items which are added almost verbatim in another mod), report them.
List of intentional duplicates / near-duplicates:
  • Papyrus Lattice vs xdecor's Bamboo Window: different pattern and craft, compability recipes available
  • Ice Block vs xdecor's Packed Ice: Different block properties and crafting recipe. The Packed Ice is intended to be a harder version of the ice while the Ice Block is intended to be a “chiseled” variant of the ice and is otherwise equal in properties. Many compability recipes are available
Short infos
Version: 1.1.2
For Minetest/Minetest Game 5.1.0 or later
Dependencies: Minetest Game (default, doors, farming, xpanes, walls, stairs)
Optional dependencies: Git repository project page (with README): https://codeberg.org/Wuzzy/minetest_mtg_plus
Code license: MIT License
Media license: CC-BY-SA 3.0, CC-BY 3.0 or MIT License (see README.md for detailed information)

Similar mods
Last edited by Wuzzy on Mon Jul 24, 2023 21:18, edited 21 times in total.

TheReaperKing

Re: [Mod] Minetest Game Plus [0.1.0] [mtg_plus]

by TheReaperKing » Post

Thanks so much for making this! Also thank you for being willing to entertain ideas, I'll have my students come up with a list on Monday. I love the Papyrus house so much, that's great! I'd love to see them making those in our survival mode and maybe even mudbrick huts or something. Take care and I'll definitely be keeping my eye on this mod.
-Mike
Become A Real Life Superhero - http://SuperheroHill.com
Project Lead of the Doom 3 Mod Last Man Standing - http://Doom3Coop.com
Project Lead of Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker - http://SandboxGameMaker.com
Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/PlatinumArtsKids

Wuzzy

Re: [Mod] Minetest Game Plus [0.2.0] [mtg_plus]

by Wuzzy » Post

TheReaperKing suggested “mudbrick” and I think this is a nice and simple suggestion. So:

Version 0.2.0 has the following additions:

- Gravel cobblestone (nice mosaic pattern) + stair + slab + wall
- Soft dirt brick
- Hardened dirt brick + stair + slab
- Gravel dirt (nice for decorating your garden)

You can grow saplings on the dirt bricks and the gravel dirt.

Desour
GitHub: Desour
IRC: Desour
In-game: DS
Location: I'm scared that if this is too exact, I will be unable to use my keyboard.

by Desour » Post

nice! i like it.
he/him; Codeberg; GitHub; ContentDB; public personal TODO list; "DS" is preferred (but often too short)

TheReaperKing

by TheReaperKing » Post

Wow that looks awesome, thank you!
Project Lead of Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker - http://SandboxGameMaker.com

D00Med
GitHub: D00Med

by D00Med » Post

Looks very nice!
Look! I have a signature :]
My subgame: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14051#p207242

pithy
GitHub: pithydon

by pithy » Post

You could add payrus fence and fence gate and/or registure furniture with my furniture mod.
When registering furniture I tend to register materials that can be made in to fences as type wood and materials that can be made in to walls as type stone.

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

this is amazing!!!!!! it will be added to voxellar!
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

Wow, i`m like these nodes!

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

In case you have simply repainted the nodes

TheReaperKing

by TheReaperKing » Post

After updating I'm having this crash
2016-10-31 10:46:28: ERROR[Main]: ModError: Failed to load and run script from /home/m/Desktop/princessrainbowfacecreative/bin/../mods/minetest_mtg_plus/init.lua:
2016-10-31 10:46:28: ERROR[Main]: ...inbowfacecreative/bin/../mods/minetest_mtg_plus/init.lua:1087: attempt to call a nil value
2016-10-31 10:46:28: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2016-10-31 10:46:28: ERROR[Main]: ...inbowfacecreative/bin/../mods/minetest_mtg_plus/init.lua:1087: in main chunk

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Strange, I can't see an error in this line. My first guess is that your furniture mod is outdated.

Note that for my mods, the Git version is never officially supported, so bugs are to be expected. If it doesn't work, just stick to the latest official release of Minetest Game Plus, which is version 0.2.0. Version 0.2.0 does not include furniture.

TheReaperKing

by TheReaperKing » Post

You were right! I updated the furniture mod again it worked, thanks so much! I'll keep that in mind in the future with the git version, thanks again.
-Mike
PS I did disable it and update it again while updating the furniture mod so I guess I don't know 100% if that is what did it but at least it works!

pithy
GitHub: pithydon

by pithy » Post

TheReaperKing wrote:After updating I'm having this crash
2016-10-31 10:46:28: ERROR[Main]: ModError: Failed to load and run script from /home/m/Desktop/princessrainbowfacecreative/bin/../mods/minetest_mtg_plus/init.lua:
2016-10-31 10:46:28: ERROR[Main]: ...inbowfacecreative/bin/../mods/minetest_mtg_plus/init.lua:1087: attempt to call a nil value
2016-10-31 10:46:28: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2016-10-31 10:46:28: ERROR[Main]: ...inbowfacecreative/bin/../mods/minetest_mtg_plus/init.lua:1087: in main chunk
Looks like you are using an old version of furniture that does not have stone furniture.

qwertymine3
GitHub: Qwertymine
In-game: qwertymine3

by qwertymine3 » Post

How about gold leaf engravings? This could just be a sign with a transparent background and gold coloured fake text.
Like this:
May not look as nice with 16x textures though

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Looks kinda ugly if you ask me. :/ I like new things making use of gold but it should look nice. I also don't really know what exactly you're proposing here.

qwertymine3
GitHub: Qwertymine
In-game: qwertymine3

by qwertymine3 » Post

Gold leaf writing, as found on gravestones or some fancy signs.
I tried 16x textures, and I agree it doesn't look great.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

I think this would be more suited in a graveyard-themed or signs mod. Writing on the wall implies that there is readable text, like on Minetest Game's signs. Implementing signs or something like signs is out of scope for this mod since signs are not trivial and Minetest Game has no API for adding signs.
And just putting a fuzzy writing on the wall with no actual readable text just seems wrong to me.
Sorry, I reject your particular suggestion.

Note I may be more open to other “gold leaf” ideas for lightweight decorations.

Wuzzy

Version 0.3.0 released

by Wuzzy » Post

Version 0.3.0 released!

This update includes a few new blocks and many gameplay changes:
  • Add ice trapdoor and Add icy steel trapdoor
  • Add a few achievements for the Achievements [awards] mod
  • Add some furniture for the [furniture] mod
  • Improve borders of goldglass panes
  • Add jungle cobblestone cookable to stone
  • Make graveldirt recipe shapeless
  • Add help texts for Documentation System (incomplete)
  • Make goldwood fireproof
  • Make many items usable as fuel in furnace
  • Fix some nodes being destroyable by cave generator
  • Add metal sounds from Minetest Game developer version
  • Change craft of gold/diamond block
  • Change texture of gold/diamond block
  • Fix mod not working with both intllib and mod security enabled

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

Re: [Mod] Minetest Game Plus [0.3.0] [mtg_plus]

by Sokomine » Post

I think there is too much gold for my taste. And also too much snow/ice. Somehow, the palette doesn't work for me (mostly). Some blocks are nice (i.e. that sandstonecobble for the paths, and of course the papyrus block), but...somehow...the gold hurts! Yellow is nice as a color, but...a bed out of it? *running away screaming* :-)

Simplicity is a fine goal. The best blocks a mod can come up with are those that can be used for a wide variety of usages. A stair can be a stair, a roof, a chair, armchair, part of a structure...But in order to achieve that, the textures need to be sufficiently universal, and the colors have to fit. Moreblocks does a very good job with its blocks. Most of them are rather greyish, which does fit well to houses. I love the baked clay mod and its colors and texture.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

The reason why there are so many gold blocks is because the plain Minetest Game has very little uses for gold. So I decided to add more uses, and the most obvious use is excessive luxury. XD There are also some more absurd luxuries, like the gold bed, but luxury is always a little bit absurd and excessive. ;-) So this is intentional.
Snow and ice stuff was added because I felt a need to build great ice castles and igloos. The ice blocks also differ in hardness and in whether they let light through. And I really do think that all snow/ice blocks serve a purpose. I also consider the ice/snow theme to be finished, I will probably not add more blocks to this theme.
I think the problem is not actually too much gold, ice or snow, but too little of everything else to “balance it off”. I really feel there could be more stuff in the papyrus theme, but I ran out of ideas. One idea posted here was a papyrus fence, and I think a papyrus trapdoor might also work, but then I am really out of ideas.

Also, I am probably not removing most blocks because players always have the option to not use them. :P

I don't understand at all why you have problems with the palette. I am using mostly the colors of Minetest Game: gold textures use exactly the colors from the gold block, and snow and ice textures use exactly the colors of snow and ice. Are you using a texture pack or the developer version? In the developer version, the snow texture was changed. Which really pisses me off since it took me quite a time to make my textures work out nicely with the 0.4.14 snow texture, and I have to probably redraw them all again. X_X
But if you're using a texture pack, just ask the texture pack author to add support for this mod. :P I won't probably change the existing blocks that much anymore. My next major goals with this mod are testing, writing item documentation and translations and releasing. After that, I might add more trapdoors.

I might consider splitting this mod into multiple “themed” mods (one for ice, one for gold/luxury, one for papyrus, …) when it exceeds a certain size. But for now I think a split is probably too early.

“Universality” was not really a goal, and yes, not all blocks can be used in all contexts, since most blocks follow some theme. Also, I dislike the stair abuse. :P This mod adds stairs and slabs nonetheless.
But if you do have an idea for an unique new block which fits to the theme of Minetest Game AND it has not already been added by another mod, I might add it.
But avoiding redundancy was a goal with this mod: You won't find a gold door in this mod since ts_doors already adds one. You won't find wooden tiles in this mod since these are already very well covered in [xdecor] and [moreblocks].
Another goal was exploring the API features of Minetest Game: That's why you find many “standard” things lik stairs, slabs, doors, trapdoors, fences, walls, etc.

By the way, this mod is pretty much compatible with More Blocks. It already adds some cool blocks, and I certainly won't repeat them. You can use both mods just fine without duplicates/errors. I even added a few crafting recipes which use recipes from More Blocks. For example, you can use the sweeper to clean the dirty glass. :-)

Overall, your criticisms are too vague for me to convince me to remove any block right now. The gold bed is here to stay. :P But yeah, maybe it could use a better texture and/or mesh. Especially since it is supposed to be a luxury, it should not look like shit. Adding good new beds is harder than it seems.
If many people think a particular block is too terrible and they have a good reason, I might consider removing it. I might also consider removing things which are too superficial or redundant with other things. I am personally not so happy with the white bed; the main reason it was added is to add a bed craft which does not require any dye. As a decoration, it's not so great and might be better in a different mod.

u19503

by u19503 » Post

Nice idea! I'm definitely gonna try this mod !

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

The long overdue version 0.4.0 has arrived!

Updates:
  • Added tin block slab and tin block stair (oddly omitted in Minetest Game 0.4.16)
  • Added tin brick (+stair +slab)
  • Updated textures of soft snow brick and hard snow brick to match Minetest Game 0.4.15 / 0.4.16 textures
  • Added soft snow brick stair/slab
  • Added flint block (+stair +slab)
  • Added cobbled desert sandstone (+stair +slab +wall +furniture)
  • Added cobbled silver sandstone (+stair +slab +wall +furniture)
  • Renamed a few blocks
  • Removed all beds (yep, now I finally agree they were too ugly; i did not even use a custom nodebox. Maybe should be redone later, but probably in a different mod, if at all)
  • All snow and ice-based blocks (except panes, doors and trapdoors) extinguish fire and cool lava
  • All snow-based blocks are now counted as “snowy” when a pine sapling checks for snowy blocks around
  • Cheaper recipe for small gold-framed diamond block
  • Updated German translation
  • Minor bugfixes

Feedback will be appreciated! I like to see whatever you built with these blocks.

I have decided I will not shy away from removing blocks if there are many players who dislike them, in order to only ship quality blocks.

This mod is moving slowly, but closer to version 1.0.0.

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

Re: [Mod] Minetest Game Plus [0.4.0] [mtg_plus]

by v-rob » Post

How about larger sized bricks (bricks the size of stone brick?)

Also, how about smaller sized stone bricks? (stone bricks the size of normal bricks?)

Lastly, how about offset stone blocks? By this I mean that the left side of the block is on the right side and the right side is on the left. Place this a layer above normal stone blocks to get huge brick-like things.

Nice mod, by the way.
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

Wuzzy

Re: [Mod] Minetest Game Plus [0.4.0] [mtg_plus]

by Wuzzy » Post

v-rob wrote:How about larger sized bricks (bricks the size of stone brick?)

Also, how about smaller sized stone bricks? (stone bricks the size of normal bricks?)
I have no idea what you're talking about.
Lastly, how about offset stone blocks? By this I mean that the left side of the block is on the right side and the right side is on the left. Place this a layer above normal stone blocks to get huge brick-like things.
I don't see the point. And I don't see how offsetting the stone block texture would result in huge brick-like things. All you would get is a “half” stone block texture alternating with the normal stone block texture.

A proof of concept for your ideas be nice, because I don't seem to understand them.