Android - Support for Languages other than English

For people working on the C++ code.
lordfingle
GitHub: eidy
IRC: lordfingle
In-game: lordfingle

Android - Support for Languages other than English

by lordfingle » Post

I was very surprised to learn the reason why minetest wasn't showing swahili texts on Android.

It doesn't appear to be implemented.

Gettext, the GNU library used for internationalization doesn't seem to have an Android version.

Am I mistaken?

Has anyone attempted a non-english version of minetest on Android?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Team Lead on "eidy- Love learning"
I like reading, walks on the beach and building edutech experiences in lua (Find out more in this post)
"Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working together is success." - Henry Ford

mnh48
GitHub: mnh48
IRC: MNH48
In-game: mnh48

Re: Android - Support for Languages other than English

by mnh48 » Post

I can see some Russian texts chat in the Official app running on Android 5.1... but I haven't see other non-English words besides Russian...

I tried typing Japanese but it doesn't work either, it appears blank in chat (but IDK if other player see the words I typed, I'll try again and ask other player to see it)...

also I always use external keyboard and mouse with my phone to play this but it seems that some characters can't be insert directly into the text input in game, like the search bar of inventory/creative or writing sign... the characters I noticed that aren't working are slash '/', backslash '\', plus '+'*, question '?', less '<' and more '>'... it did work if using popup (click on that text input brings another popup to write) but it didn't work when writing directly... the error shown is unexpected multibyte character, I use default Android keyboard in system when connecting external keyboard...

I hate that popup because it somehow pauses the game, everything else including chats will freeze when I'm typing inside the popup and it will be good again after I dismiss the popup either by clicking empty area (cancel typing) or by pressing 'enter' (confirm typing)...

*the plus key beside backspace doesn't work, but keypad one works in all situations.
Spoiler
When typing slash/ in the creative search text input, the / doesn't get input and error message thrown in chat...

When click at that search text input, it gives popup, in this popup I can write the slash/
and when confirm the text by pressing enter, the text written in popup shows up correctly in the text input

lordfingle
GitHub: eidy
IRC: lordfingle
In-game: lordfingle

by lordfingle » Post

Interesting about the chat support. It makes sense though.

My point was the main language of the game executable on Android seems set to English....
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Team Lead on "eidy- Love learning"
I like reading, walks on the beach and building edutech experiences in lua (Find out more in this post)
"Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working together is success." - Henry Ford

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

Actually i guess that's from the android "set language". I know that there is a translation in multiple languages for Minetest in Computer (Linux, Mac, Windows) But actually i don't know about android, 'cause i don't really use it, my phone is blackberry, and the most thing i do is watch youtube, music and calls. :/
Maybe you can check out here for more about translation: https://hosted.weblate.org/engage/minet ... rce=widget
Have a nice day! :D

mnh48
GitHub: mnh48
IRC: MNH48
In-game: mnh48

by mnh48 » Post

MineYoshi wrote:Actually i guess that's from the android "set language".
Nope... iirc, Minetest can't fetch Android's set language setting, it will fallback to English even when you use Android in other language...

Now, see this:
I purposedly open the Android system small app calendar just to show it is running in non-English environment (in this case, Japanese) and Minetest setting is set to ja (japanese) but everything is still in English (Of course I've restarted the app!).

Note that the calendar contents is in English because it's actually Malaysian calendar, but others in small app are in system language which is set to Japanese for this test (because Japanese is also non-ASCII language like Swahili, but I could read them... I don't use Malay for the test because Malay is ASCII language -- it uses latin letters -- so it would display fine everywhere given that the translation is supported).

What's weird is the fact that Minetest client itself can't display translated text with the settings but the mods (with intllib and proper translation files) can display them just fine:
Yes, I use mouse (& keyboard) on my phone.
Notice the item name "お洒落なベッド" (oshare na beddo / Stylish Bed) is appeared on hovering Fancy Bed, where the translation is from the mod called mtg_i18n, while the client-provided interface of the inventory remains in English (Crafting, All, Nodes, Tools, Items), even though it is translated to Japanese.
Attachments
translated item names
translated item names
Screenshot_2017-07-03-04-07-32.png (307.51 KiB) Viewed 374 times
In client
In client
Screenshot_2017-07-03-03-59-38.png (75.37 KiB) Viewed 374 times