Space available for server hosting (for lightweight servers)

Worldblender
GitHub: RQWorldblender
In-game: Worldblender

Space available for server hosting (for lightweight servers)

by Worldblender » Post

I own a C.H.I.P., an ARM-based single board computer much like the Raspberry Pi family of computers.
Pictures of current hardware setup: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i1ijxqektlx5 ... O5uSa?dl=0
I have the following port range available for use: 28910 to 28915 (6 ports total), with port 28910 already occupied. I would like to do a favor and help anyone of you who requests it.
These ARM-based computers may not perform as well as professional servers, so servers you send me should avoid performance-hitting mods or tweak them in order to become less resource-demanding. However, I can keep this computer running for much longer periods of time, giving servers hosted on it more uptime. Max number of players may be reduced in order to keep resource usage from becoming too high.
The specs:
  • CPU: 1.0 gHz
  • RAM: 512 MB
  • NAND storage: 4 GB, but I may be able to upgrade this to 8 GB soon
  • External storage: 2.5 inch IDE hard drive with USB adapter, 250 GB

octacian
GitHub: octacian
IRC: octacian
In-game: octacian

Re: Space available for server hosting (for lightweight serv

by octacian » Post

hmmm interesting. How well do these perform? In comparison with the Raspberry Pi? I've compared the specs, but, I am still unfamiliar as to how much resources an MT server really uses (which is ridiculous, considering the fact that I run a server). More specifically, how many players would you guess could run on the default game, without any significant lag?
MicroExpansion, Working Computers, All Projects - Check out my YouTube channel! (octacian)
I'm currently inactive in the Minetest community! So if I don't respond, that's why.

Worldblender
GitHub: RQWorldblender
In-game: Worldblender

by Worldblender » Post

endev15 wrote:hmmm interesting. How well do these perform? In comparison with the Raspberry Pi? I've compared the specs, but, I am still unfamiliar as to how much resources an MT server really uses (which is ridiculous, considering the fact that I run a server). More specifically, how many players would you guess could run on the default game, without any significant lag?
With less mods installed, a server can load faster. Since running just a server does not involve graphics on the server side, it will likely run okay, but not hyper-fast. This computer's CPU is a 32-bit ARM CPU, not a 64-bit one. I never the opportunity to try running servers on here with more than 3 players at a time, so I don't know what will happen. But having too many players (perhaps at least 10) and having multiple servers serving players is likely to cause the computer to slow down.

LRV
Helper
GitHub: Mooncarguy
In-game: Mooncarman Mooncarguy

by LRV » Post

I could use this(if the offer is still there, the thread hasnt been updated for over a year). How much would I have to pay?
Last edited by LRV on Fri Mar 23, 2018 17:35, edited 1 time in total.
This is a cool signature. :)

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Besides this being a necropost from 2 years ago ... :)

octacian wrote:hmmm interesting. How well do these perform? In comparison with the Raspberry Pi?
Those devices are outnumbered by every modern router. Their main purpose isn't running game servers.
octacian wrote:More specifically, how many players would you guess could run on the default game, without any significant lag?
2-3 at maximum when not using any additional mods.

LRV
Helper
GitHub: Mooncarguy
In-game: Mooncarman Mooncarguy

by LRV » Post

(removed)
This is a cool signature. :)