Why don't people know what PvP is?

redblade7
IRC: redneonglow redblade7
In-game: redblade7 redblade7_owner

Why don't people know what PvP is?

by redblade7 » Post

(Note: "SHOOTOUT!" has since been deleted. I've left the post though, since the thread has useful information.)

Hi,

As you may know I just set up a new PvP server with weapons. The name of the server is "SHOOTOUT!" People are having a hard time understanding what PvP means, asking me to ban people who kill them and/or destroy stuff they build and/or begging to be my friend.

Even after I added a "hints" section at the spawn area, plus the MOTD describing how it works and to read the rules and hints at the spawn area, and the fact that the server is called "SHOOTOUT!" they still don't seem to understand what PvP is, nor have they ever heard of "fast mode", even though the "hints" section describes exactly how to turn it on and run away during gunfights. (On the other hand, on my "THE CREATIVE GARDENS" creative mode server, people always ask me for fast mode, which I refuse due to the large amount of plants locking up mobile phones on a regular basis)

Why am I running into these problems? Is this normal for other PvP server owners? Or am I doing something wrong?
Last edited by redblade7 on Fri Nov 25, 2016 03:28, edited 1 time in total.
-redblade7, admin of: THE CREATIVE GARDENS (creative), THE VALLEYS (sandbox), and THE DIGITAL FARMS (farming/hunger/shops)

firefox
In-game: Red_Fox

Re: Why don't people know what PvP is?

by firefox » Post

i guess this is just a community problem.
people always come to servers where they don't get what they want so they can ask for it :P

here are some things to consider:
- some people don't read descriptions and rules
- some people don't do anything ingame except playing "friends", which means letting others build houses for them
- some people like to kill others in PvP but start a tantrum if their opponents fight back
- some people don't know that they can't play in "god mode" on servers
- someone should make a song out of this :P
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

firefox
In-game: Red_Fox

by firefox » Post

ok, i went to the server to test it and some things are not right:

1. the description says "or have fun building". if there is no safe zone, don't encourage people to build.

2. there were only 3 users online and they were all inside the spawn place. while i was reading the signs i got killed by invisible rocket missiles many time in sequence. it was like *click respawn* *die* *click respawn* *die* *click respawn* *die* *click respawn* *die* *click respawn* *die* *click respawn* *die*...

3. all players look exactly the same and there is no way to tell what items they have/wield. suddenly blue plasma things come floating in your face there is lots of loud irritating noise. and death. there is no save place, not even inside the spawn. i lost interest very quickly :P
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

redblade7

by redblade7 » Post

firefox wrote:the description says "or have fun building". if there is no safe zone, don't encourage people to build.
I was more intending digging and building forts to hide behind but, ok...
firefox wrote:all players look exactly the same and there is no way to tell what items they have/wield. suddenly blue plasma things come floating in your face there is lots of loud irritating noise. and death. there is no save place, not even inside the spawn. i lost interest very quickly :P
That's the fun of it! I intend to keep all that.
firefox wrote:2. there were only 3 users online and they were all inside the spawn place. while i was reading the signs i got killed by invisible rocket missiles many time in sequence.
What is the mod server owners use that instead of a normal MOTD, they have a popup where they click "I Agree"? I can use that instead
-redblade7, admin of: THE CREATIVE GARDENS (creative), THE VALLEYS (sandbox), and THE DIGITAL FARMS (farming/hunger/shops)

Xudo
GitHub: akryukov92
In-game: Xudo

by Xudo » Post

redblade7 wrote:
firefox wrote:all players look exactly the same and there is no way to tell what items they have/wield. suddenly blue plasma things come floating in your face there is lots of loud irritating noise. and death. there is no save place, not even inside the spawn. i lost interest very quickly :P
As a player I see no fun in sudden death right from the start.

Pvp is not about camping the spawn to kill new players.

Byakuren
GitHub: raymoo
IRC: Hijiri
In-game: Raymoo + Clownpiece

by Byakuren » Post

What if you disable damage temporarily for newly-respawned players?
Every time a mod API is left undocumented, a koala dies.

redblade7

by redblade7 » Post

Xudo wrote:
redblade7 wrote:
As a player I see no fun in sudden death right from the start.

Pvp is not about camping the spawn to kill new players.
If I could find out the mod people use to have a popup upon joining, to explain to them that they will be killed and how to enable fast mode and run from the spawn area, then it would be fun. A lot of servers have this with "I Agree" Does anyone know the name of this mod?

TARD
GitHub: kingtard
IRC: turd
In-game: TARD

by TARD » Post

redblade7

by redblade7 » Post

A week later, I decided this server was a bad idea and has been deleted.

Check out my main server, "THE CREATIVE GARDENS" - it's no damage, and it has weapons too which will kill animals, but not people.