[Mod] torches [torches]

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

Re: [Mod] torches [torches]

by TumeniNodes » Post

sofar wrote:I've added a "Wield" light to this mod, similar to what the "walking_light" mod does. The implementation should be more robust, though, than walking_light. Check the video out: https://youtu.be/mzvTZ45vgjw
Your work on wield torch is much better than the original, produces no lag for me. Nice work.
One question though, any chance an animated wield could be added? So that while holding the torch it is animated.
I was trying to mess around with the idea but, I have not been doing much for a couple months now and forgot most of what very little I knew how to do :P
I'm not entirely sure if I remember correctly but, I "thought" the default torch was animated when wielded when I first found Minetest and started playing (from the original Mint repo) before I knew it was a very old build.
But now that original stuff is loooong gone so I can't look into it. Anyway, just think it would be very cool to have the torch animated while holding it, while it's also providing some light..., (if) it is not a feature which would add unwanted lag.
A Wonderful World

pithy
GitHub: pithydon

by pithy » Post

Are you going to add wield light to default game?

If not could we use this mod in minetest 0.4.15 to get it?

HolyPhoenix

by HolyPhoenix » Post

pithy wrote:Are you going to add wield light to default game?

If not could we use this mod in minetest 0.4.15 to get it?
Not going to be added to the default game at this time. Per the first post:
With exception of the wieldlight, this mod is part of the default game. The current code here is kept for archival purposes.

I may end up breaking out the wieldlight into a separate mod for use with 0.4.15. If that happens I'll insert a link here.
I'm hoping sofar will break it out into its own mod. But we'll have to wait and see.

sofar
Developer
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

by sofar » Post

The right thing to do would be to drop maintenance on this mod and integrate the wieldlight idea into wieldview or wield_3d.

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

sofar wrote:The right thing to do would be to drop maintenance on this mod and integrate the wieldlight idea into wieldview or wield_3d.
... and give it a nice animated wieldview :P

The only way everyone would be happy with wield light being added in default, is if it had an on/off setting. Of course then, there would still be fights over which is the default... on, or off :D
I do recall when I tried out the original wield light, the fan on my pc would instantly kick on.
The only thing I noticed with this version is, the length = needs to be adjusted. At least in my own opinion, the flame flickers in slow motion... so I set it up using a 32x32 frame and length = 1.5 It would also be nice to add some faint puffs of smoke using particles but again..., might add lag.
So it is as usual with me.... If you give a mouse a cookie...
A Wonderful World

sofar
Developer
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

by sofar » Post

TumeniNodes wrote: The only thing I noticed with this version is, the length = needs to be adjusted. At least in my own opinion, the flame flickers in slow motion....
the animated torch texture definitely needs some work, but, that was outside the scope of the work I wanted to do on it. There are texture packs with better animated torch textures, though. You could use that.

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

Actually, I'm using the same torch from AD reforged... what I meant is, the animation just seemed slow to me so I changed the length of time on the animation in the lua. The animation will run differently with which ever texture is being used... and then even the px size will create a different speed, I guess I was just nit-picking, sorry.
Either way, I'm just babbling now..., this wield light you put together is really awesome so, thank you. I, myself would love to see it added to default, with an on/off option (default being off). And I am extremely glad the ceiling placement was left in, it's one of those quirky sort of things most people really like.
A Wonderful World

bell07
GitHub: bell07

by bell07 » Post

For reference: I started the wielded_light mod that allow the "torchlight" to all lighten items. Since the 3D torches are in the 'minetest/mods/default' this mod in minetest-mods is obsolete for me....