[Mod] Other Worlds [other_worlds]

Shara
GitHub: ezhh
IRC: Shara

[Mod] Other Worlds [other_worlds]

by Shara » Post

This mod adds asteroid layers and height-based skybox switches to create space environments. Asteroids have ore and can include atmosphere, decorative crystals and space plants. Min/max height for the layers is adjustable. The mod comes with two space layers included (space and red sky), but anyone familiar with adjusting mods should be able to easily customise to add additional layers.

More Screenshots:
Spoiler
Space layer, view from asteroid:

Space layer, view from asteroid with atmosphere:

Red sky layer, view from inside hollow asteroid:
Download: https://github.com/Ezhh/other_worlds/archive/master.zip

Source: https://github.com/Ezhh/other_worlds

Dependencies: default

License: Code is MIT. Textures are CC BY-SA 3.0 or CC BY-SA 4.0. Please see license.txt in the mod for full details of licenses and full list of contributors. Special thanks to tenplus1 and paramat for help with mapgen code.

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

Re: [Mod] Other Worlds [other_worlds]

by TenPlus1 » Post

ooh, very nice :)

davidthecreator
GitHub: daviddoesminetest
In-game: DavidDoesMinetest

by davidthecreator » Post

keeeeeeeewl....

D00Med
GitHub: D00Med

by D00Med » Post

This looks good!
Look! I have a signature :]
My subgame: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14051#p207242

Desour
GitHub: Desour
IRC: Desour
In-game: DS
Location: I'm scared that if this is too exact, I will be unable to use my keyboard.

by Desour » Post

looks nice
what is the mesh thing on the last screenshot? is it garbage in space?!
he/him; Codeberg; GitHub; ContentDB; public personal TODO list; "DS" is preferred (but often too short)

lordfingle
GitHub: eidy
IRC: lordfingle
In-game: lordfingle

by lordfingle » Post

Beautiful!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Team Lead on "eidy- Love learning"
I like reading, walks on the beach and building edutech experiences in lua (Find out more in this post)
"Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working together is success." - Henry Ford

Shara

by Shara » Post

Thank you all.

DS - Do you mean the pink-ish coloured thing to the left? That's one of the crystals that appear on some of the asteroids.

Desour
GitHub: Desour
IRC: Desour
In-game: DS
Location: I'm scared that if this is too exact, I will be unable to use my keyboard.

by Desour » Post

Shara - yes, i meant that, but the crystal looks a bit out of place
he/him; Codeberg; GitHub; ContentDB; public personal TODO list; "DS" is preferred (but often too short)

Shara

by Shara » Post

Feedback I had from people testing the mod was all positive for the crystals.It was something I made sure to check because I know some people don't like more detailed models and prefer the usual blocky nodes for everything. I tested a few different things myself, and decided to include them, but if anyone wants to use the mod and prefers to remove them, that's fine as well.

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

Shara, how have you done it? In MineTest unreally to make new dimensions, as delevopers have to rewrite source code default.Have i rightly understood it?

Shara

by Shara » Post

Hi Andrey, I'm not sure what you mean by other dimensions. This simply works above the usual map (you can adjust the height). The code is all on github if you want to check, or you can take a look on the Red Cat server if you want to see the mod in action.

u19503

by u19503 » Post

This is amazing!

Amaz
GitHub: Amaz1
IRC: Amaz
In-game: Amaz

by Amaz » Post

Awesome mod, Shara!
I really love the crystals - they make it look really "other-worldly!"
The skyboxes are awesome too!

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

Since this uses a large number of 3D noises memory use optimisations are essential, see viewtopic.php?f=18&t=16043

Shara

by Shara » Post

Thanks paramat, will have a look.

GreenXenith
GitHub: GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

This is amazing. A few things though.
1- Once I get to 7000, just.....blackness. It is scary. Maybe stars? some galaxies? not just claustrophobic blackness?
2- The Skyboxes are beautiful. I could just look at the skyboxes all day :D
3- Might I suggest changing gravity in space
Other than that, simply amazing.
Last edited by GreenXenith on Fri Jun 12, 2020 19:19, edited 1 time in total.
YouTube | Mods | Patreon | Minetest Discord @greenxenith

You should not be able to read this message.

Shara

by Shara » Post

Hi GreenDiamond, thanks for the suggestions.

You can adjust the height for the layers in settings.lua, so could even expand them to the top of the map if you wish, and cut out the blackness that way. I mainly included the blackness to discourage players from exploring above 7k on my own server, in case I eventually add in new layers above these ones.

Gravity is already on my to do list, since the owner of TPS has asked for it. I just need to find some time to write it in.

And yes... I spent hours staring at the skyboxes. This was originally just going to be a skybox switcher mod, then the rest of it just happened. :)

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

Shara wrote: This was originally just going to be a skybox switcher mod, then the rest of it just happened. :)
: o
please don't forget about the skybox switcher... I know I would love that (and probably others)
If by "switcher", you mean a mod which switches the skybox textures related to various times of day/night? Cuz that would be really awshum!
A Wonderful World

Shara

by Shara » Post

Well, this has height based skybox switching as part of it. When a player reaches a certain height a new skybox drops in. So we have the regular skybox with the moving sun and moon on the surface, then over a certain height the space one appears.

What would you be looking for in a time based switcher? Keep in mind that when you use different skyboxes, you lose the moving sun/moon.

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

Shara wrote:Well, this has height based skybox switching as part of it. When a player reaches a certain height a new skybox drops in. So we have the regular skybox with the moving sun and moon on the surface, then over a certain height the space one appears.

What would you be looking for in a time based switcher? Keep in mind that when you use different skyboxes, you lose the moving sun/moon.
Yes, I realize it means losing the moving sun, moon, and clouds. I had tried playing with an existing skybox mod a while back (not sure if it was RealBadAngel's or paramat's work) which used a view of the Earth from the Moon.
I switched out the textures with my own but, at night the sky never changes so the sky remains day while it is night.
I had created a second set of the same sky textures but darkened them and added in a moon in over where the sun is, but was never able to figure out how to code it so at a certain "time of day" the skybox would switch to that 2d set.
Ideal would be to have 3 or 4 sets. 1=for dawn, 2= for day, 3= for dusk, 4= for night, and set them to switch at given times of day (the same as the brightness changes by default) I realise the transition would not be smooth but would still be cool.
But then qwertymine3 had also made a mod using the code from "craft" which has wicked nice looking clouds..., except they are stationary... it would be even cooler to have those clouds hard-coded into the engine, but to move as the default clouds do.
I'm sorry to invade this post for your nice mod here.... I just got excited when you mentioned "skybox switcher" :P
Last edited by TumeniNodes on Fri Dec 16, 2016 21:29, edited 1 time in total.
A Wonderful World

Shara

by Shara » Post

No worries about the invasion. :) It's all things for me to think about after all. I think I saw a server that does switch skybox based on time, but never looked into making something like that myself. I have another mod that uses height based switching (much simpler than this), which I'll probably post here soon, and maybe at some point I'll look at something time based. Won't make promises though - already have a lot of works in progress to tidy up.

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

Shara wrote:No worries about the invasion. :) It's all things for me to think about after all. I think I saw a server that does switch skybox based on time, but never looked into making something like that myself. I have another mod that uses height based switching (much simpler than this), which I'll probably post here soon, and maybe at some point I'll look at something time based. Won't make promises though - already have a lot of works in progress to tidy up.
No promise expected. After trying my hand at coding I realize it is definitely not a simple task. There is another height based skybox somewhere in these forums in either WIP mods or mod releases as well.
Cool work, keep it up.
A Wonderful World

GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

Shara wrote:I mainly included the blackness to discourage players from exploring above 7k on my own server, in case I eventually add in new layers above these ones.
Server?

Shara

by Shara » Post

other_worlds has been running on Red Cat Creative since September. I made it for and tested it on Red Cat, then decided it would be a good first offering on the forums as well. :)

GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

Oh ok! I will check it out!
Last edited by GreenXenith on Fri Jun 12, 2020 19:21, edited 1 time in total.