[Conversation] how can minetest be improved

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Re: [Conversation] how can minetest be improved

by Wuzzy » Post

Minetest on C# and Mono? Are you crazy? This will be an absolute desater on GNU/Linux. I know from experience Mono is terrible to use on GNU/Linux. It's so awful I generally tend to avoid .NET or Mono software, even if it is itself free software.

I think you may want to ask your developer questions in the IRC:
irc://irc.freenode.net/#minetest-dev

The chances that a core developer sees this thread are low, I suppose.

Alcyone
IRC: Alcyone
In-game: Alcyone

by Alcyone » Post

Spaghetti Developer wrote:You're absolutely right! the problem of the slab + fence, or + stone slab, is due to lack of node management in MT, there are no corner stair that create the block stair at 90 degrees, in Minecraft using a lot. Or the sign + slab to make the sign placed on the ground. All these things still do not exist in MT.

Minetest is an engine, it is not a game! the project is divided into 2 parts, Minetest (engine), Minetest_Game (game content, is a sub-game, a collection of mods). What I want is a more complete version of the vanilla (Minetest_game), while the engine has to be complete, all nodes can handle, and be flexible for customization (especially the main menu), so all I want to add developing myself as a personal mod (which I do for a long time).

In Minetest the Month is worth more than gold and diamond, with the month you all, gold is pretty much useless, and then there are other details but does nothing unbalanced people!

Minetest 0.4.14, translated means that we are in pre-alpha, alpha, or if you prefer. The team works very well (from 0.4.10 onwards there was a considerable improvement). As time passed, many things will be improved, I have no doubt!
Yes, I always says around me that Minetest is still in v0.something :) I'm aware of that and I'm sure there will be many improvements soon ! I was not really asking for functionalities, but rather wondering why I never see these two points I talked about : shortcuts to craft and slabs.

Thank you for the explantion for slabs :) but I'm still wondering about shortcuts, is there something I don't know ?
-- Alcyone --

Website with french articles on MT : alcyone.toile-libre.org

Spaghetti Developer
GitHub: SpaghettiDeveloper
In-game: Spaghetti Developer

by Spaghetti Developer » Post

Thanks wuzzy! as always you are the forum essay, I will follow your advice, I'll ask on IRC chat.

Alcyone:

You can not connect those nodes! I use Minetest since 2010, and those combinations you can not do, unfortunately!

Use the screwdriver to rotate the blocks, is the most beautiful and ingenious tool of all Minetest, it allows rotating stairs, generic blocks, glass breads and more.

Alcyone

by Alcyone » Post

Spaghetti Developer wrote:You can not connect those nodes! I use Minetest since 2010, and those combinations you can not do, unfortunately!

Use the screwdriver to rotate the blocks, is the most beautiful and ingenious tool of all Minetest, it allows rotating stairs, generic blocks, glass breads and more.
You meaning that the screwdriver can put a slab on the upper part ?

In fact when I asked :
Alcyone wrote:but I'm still wondering about shortcuts, is there something I don't know ?
It was linked to :
Alcyone wrote:- Some shortcut to split the bloc easily. With my mouse, I can only use the right click in each slot to put items one by one. It would be useful to be able to slide over the slot while right clicking to split quicker. Doing the same thing with the left one could split equally on the hoovered slots. These are functionalities with really often see in all craft game types, I'm a bit surprised that it doesn't exist in MT (and that nobody says something about it ._. )
You know, for example like on a crafting table in Minecraft.
-- Alcyone --

Spaghetti Developer

Alcyone wrote:
Spaghetti Developer wrote:You can not connect those nodes! I use Minetest since 2010, and those combinations you can not do, unfortunately!

You meaning that the screwdriver can put a slab on the upper part ?

In fact when I asked :
Alcyone wrote:but I'm still wondering about shortcuts, is there something I don't know ?
It was linked to :
Alcyone wrote:- Some shortcut to split the bloc easily. With my mouse, I can only use the right click in each slot to put items one by one. It would be useful to be able to slide over the slot while right clicking to split quicker. Doing the same thing with the left one could split equally on the hoovered slots. These are functionalities with really often see in all craft game types, I'm a bit surprised that it doesn't exist in MT (and that nobody says something about it ._. )
You know, for example like on a crafting table in Minecraft.

Use the X-Decor mod, you can find them all that is missing in Minetest and have the same features of Minecraft (crafting table is even more beautiful than MC).

Alcyone

by Alcyone » Post

Spaghetti Developer wrote:Use the X-Decor mod, you can find them all that is missing in Minetest and have the same features of Minecraft (crafting table is even more beautiful than MC).
I tried X-Decor but impossible to find any shortcut for crafting :/ nothing in first post/github tells anything about that
-- Alcyone --

GreenXenith
GitHub: GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

Wuzzy wrote:
-TNT be propel-able (idk if thats a word) - as in one block explodes, others go flying and explode, etc...
This is already implemented in Minetest Game 0.4.14. But it only works for falling blocks such as sand or gravel. Other blocks just drop as an item or get destroyed completely. I think this behaviour is intended and will not change.
I'm talking about TNT blocks flying around.
Wuzzy wrote:
-Carts with chests and furnaces (-!-SPOILER-!- there are carts in 0.4.15)
You can put items into carts. Just drop them on the cart, then punch it. As far I know, there is no limit on the number of items or item stacks a cart can store.

Also, there is no Minetest 0.4.15 (yet) (Seriously, stop calling it 0.4.15 before it is actually released. It's fucking confusing).
Um, everyone knows there will be one, it's coming out this week. Or the next.
YouTube | Mods | Patreon | Minetest Discord @greenxenith

You should not be able to read this message.

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Spaghetti: the screwdriver tool has an api you can use to make better one's e.g:

Code: Select all

-- diamond screwdriver (1000 uses)
minetest.register_tool(":screwdriver:screwdriver_diamond", {
	description = "Diamond Screwdriver (left-click rotates face, right-click rotates axis)",
	inventory_image = "screwdriver_diamond.png",

on_use = function(itemstack, user, pointed_thing)
		screwdriver.handler(itemstack, user, pointed_thing, screwdriver.ROTATE_FACE, 1000)
		return itemstack
	end,

on_place = function(itemstack, user, pointed_thing)
		screwdriver.handler(itemstack, user, pointed_thing, screwdriver.ROTATE_AXIS, 1000)
		return itemstack
	end,
})

iska
In-game: iska

by iska » Post

small things, first impressions...

minetest clients serverlist needs overhaul...

It needs atleast: Search field for server name, sorting methods for players online/alphabetical...
would be nice if you could also search for player, but thats not priority imo

Aaaand to add some extra bonus for us modders/wannabemodders.. let the enter/return key be accepted as OK.. its soo damn annoying to find mouse and hit the OK button after every single iteration ;)

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

iska wrote: Aaaand to add some extra bonus for us modders/wannabemodders.. let the enter/return key be accepted as OK.. its soo damn annoying to find mouse and hit the OK button after every single iteration ;)
This will be in 0.4.15 - it annoyed me too, so I fixed it. See fields.key_enter_field
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

GreenXenith
GitHub: GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

iska wrote: It needs atleast: Search field for server name, sorting methods for players online/alphabetical...
servers.minetest.net has list of all servers, which means using ctrl (or command on mac)+f can let you search for server names. Hovering over number of players gives a list of connected clients.
YouTube | Mods | Patreon | Minetest Discord @greenxenith

You should not be able to read this message.

Spaghetti Developer

TenPlus1 wrote:Spaghetti: the screwdriver tool has an api you can use to make better one's e.g:

Code: Select all

-- diamond screwdriver (1000 uses)
minetest.register_tool(":screwdriver:screwdriver_diamond", {
	description = "Diamond Screwdriver (left-click rotates face, right-click rotates axis)",
	inventory_image = "screwdriver_diamond.png",

on_use = function(itemstack, user, pointed_thing)
		screwdriver.handler(itemstack, user, pointed_thing, screwdriver.ROTATE_FACE, 1000)
		return itemstack
	end,

on_place = function(itemstack, user, pointed_thing)
		screwdriver.handler(itemstack, user, pointed_thing, screwdriver.ROTATE_AXIS, 1000)
		return itemstack
	end,
})
Thanks tenplus1. In fact I had noticed that the screwdriver had potential. Thanks so much.

Johnny Joy
GitHub: johnnyjoy
In-game: jjb

by Johnny Joy » Post

I have to agree with that, and possibly a feature to search by player name, since that information is also known.
iska wrote:small things, first impressions...

minetest clients serverlist needs overhaul...

It needs atleast: Search field for server name, sorting methods for players online/alphabetical...

Aaaand to add some extra bonus for us modders/wannabemodders.. let the enter/return key be accepted as OK.. its soo damn annoying to find mouse and hit the OK button after every single iteration ;)