[Server] TerraQuest [beta]

BrandonReese
GitHub: bremaweb
IRC: BrandonReese
In-game: BrandonReese

[Server] TerraQuest [beta]

by BrandonReese » Post

Nobody knows what happened... This world was once a utopia but is now under a curse. Death enter the world and through death evil creatures began roaming the land, magic flows through the air, and strange powerful beings have started appearing out of nowhere. Are there here to help or to harm?

-----

This is a game I have been working on for a while. I used Adventuretest (viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9184) as the foundation so the basics are the same (you have to gain experience to grow your crafting, smelting, magic, etc...). This getting started video applies pretty well to TerraQuest https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PExDmb0hZRs

There are villages to explore and pillage, villagers to interact with, dungeons full of treasure, and quests. One of the main things I'm still trying to work out is a mechanism to tell the story which in turn will help lead the players to various quests and help them progress through the game.

I won't give much away here. Join the server and explore for a while. There are quite a few surprises I hope you'll discover and enjoy.

Server Address: 209.141.35.227:31000
It's also in the server list as TerraQuest

You can discuss the game here or in IRC at #terraquest

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

Re: [Server] TerraQuest [beta]

by Sokomine » Post

I really love Adventuretest - but: The server needs a lot more work.

The first problem is: Connection. It's slow. Please reduce the amount of nodes/textures/sounds/whatever for faster load. This world is focussed on adventure; less on building. There do not need to be so many mods installed providing extended building material. Far less shapes are sufficient for the circular saw.

Joining is life-threatening. When I first joined, connection took so long that I died immediately. That apparently happened to other players as well. While that shadowy world was quite strange and intresting to explore, finding a way back to the "living" world was tricky.

There are reports of people in RL *not* having been killed by lighting. I know it's amazing; but the human race somehow made it. Some survived. With the frequency of lighting strikes to players on the server (at least I guess it's supposed to be lighting), humanity wouldn't have made it.

Spawning has to happen inside a village. That prevents players from beeing killed by mobs when not even beeing able to interact due to their clients still beeing busy.

The blacksmiths need to be sent back to school again. They mostly say "I can't find a furnace" even if one is placed directly in front of their face. And when one blacksmith finally managed to locate his deliberately placed furnace, all blacksmiths refused to show their formspec to me from thereon. I got neither my lumps nor any ingots back.

The locked chest-quest ought to be changed. Clay for a bowl is not exactly available in huge quantities for easy grab next to the starting village. The old wooden bool was fine. The wooden water bucket is of course great as well. Perhaps let the mob ask for the new wooden bucket instead of a clay bowl. Getting wheat is also tricky as the landscape is of a rather snowy kind around the village where the players appear.

The protection system is broken. Landrush and the villages' protection system do not mix. Keep your Landrush mod for the other servers - builders will enjoy it there. Or make sure it doesn't work if one corner of the area is within the boundaries of a village. Also, villages do come with an allmende now. That's an area where all players are supposed to be able to grow plants or trees for survival. Historicly, such an allmende was a place shared by the entire village for e.g. feeding their cattle. Villagers ought to tolerate player operations inside that area. Also, leaves and snow are supposed to be free-to-take as those may block entrance (and, honestly, who'd mind visitors picking up a handful of snow?).
A list of my mods can be found here.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Wanted - preferably dead:

Photo showing the titan attacking an innocent woman in a village:

Heavy damage inside a village caused by titan bombs:

Help eliminate this threat! Send titans back to where they came from. The blacksmiths in the villages will happily smelt your iron for you so that you may obtain better weapons and armor.

---

Anyone intrested in a very survival-focussed game ought to try out AdventureTest and the TerraQuest server which runs the most current version of it (newer than the one on Github). There are some quests, and there is a story behind it. It might be worth turning your speakers on and listen to the sounds.
Attachments
adventuretest_village1.jpg
adventuretest_village1.jpg (263.77 KiB) Viewed 906 times
adventuretest_titan2.jpg
adventuretest_titan2.jpg (101.85 KiB) Viewed 906 times
adventuretest_titan1.jpg
adventuretest_titan1.jpg (267.27 KiB) Viewed 906 times

Coder12

by Coder12 » Post

Is this server still a thing? I can't connect to it.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

The server seems to be currently offline. It had been like this for some time before already. It did came back after a time. Perhaps (hopefully!) BrandonReese is working on something and will put the server up again. But I havn't heared any word.

BrandonReese
GitHub: bremaweb
IRC: BrandonReese
In-game: BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

The server is back online. The minetest servers don't automatically start when the server reboots and I haven't been doing much with it lately so I didn't know they were down. I need to build the latest version of Minetest and maybe start working on the game again. I haven't touched Minetest in a looong time.

Coder12

by Coder12 » Post

BrandonReese wrote:The server is back online. The minetest servers don't automatically start when the server reboots and I haven't been doing much with it lately so I didn't know they were down. I need to build the latest version of Minetest and maybe start working on the game again. I haven't touched Minetest in a looong time.
Thanks for bring the server back online.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

It would be great if you could continue your AdventureTest game. Or at least find someone who has the time to continue your work. It's a very nice game that's sufficiently advanced for players to have quite a lot of fun, even though it is not finished. It ought to be listed amongst the games in the new content db.

I gave up on the main quest after the mob handling out the quests told me to walk to a mount Meru at the other side of the world. With travelling beeing as time consuming as it is (need to sleep, eat, mobs attack, /home working only in limieted area), I felt no desire to walk for hours through the landscape. And then walk back after having arrived. It was already too much to search for the treasure the old explorer told me about. The walk there took so much time that a chest filled to the top with treasures would not have been a sufficient reward.

There are already several nice quests before that that can actually be achieved. I'd love to see that expanded.

Extex
GitHub: Extex101
In-game: Extex

by Extex » Post

Hi BrandonR was wondering if you still have the source code for the Shadow Realm mod? I remember playing on your server with my brother back in the day and the Shadow Realm really stuck out. I'm a modder now and would like to try and port it to the newest version.
Creator of jelys_pizzaria and motorbike, and player of persistent kingdoms. RIP