[Mod] Save and import buildings [handle_schematics]

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

[Mod] Save and import buildings [handle_schematics]

by Sokomine » Post

Warning: This mod is incomplete and under development. The code does need a lot of cleanup. It has been extracted in part from mg_villages and extended. The build chest is already useful though, and mg_villages can use this mod without problem.

Why you might be intrested:
  • Want to move a house from one place/world to another?
  • Without having to worry about rotation?
  • Don't know which mods might be required and if you've got them installed?
  • Hate it if your cellar suddenly starts at street level, while the entrance is somewhere way up?
  • No idea how big it will be?
  • Want to be able to remove the spawned building if the place choosen didn't really fit, or the house does not please?
  • Want to be able to choose diffrent materials easily?
Then this mod may be something for you. You can of course also do this with worldedit, but then...

..the house may end up rotated in the wrong way. handle_schematics adds a suffix to the filename so that it knows how the building was oriented when you saved it. Whenever you place a building using this mod's build chest, the building's rotation will be adjusted to the rotation of the build chest you used. Just place the chest so that it faces into the right direction, select the building, and get it rotated the right way automaticly. Sounds more complex than it is.

In order to use the build chest, type

Code: Select all

/giveme handle_schematics:build 99

Example: The same .mts file placed three times, but with three diffrent build chests and diffrent replacements selected:

Here you can see a sample replacement list (used to get the brick house in the screenshot above):

..and, once you click on Proceed, the house is placed. You can see it shimmering through in the background of the formspec:
And the best thing: If you click on restore original landscape, the house will be removed again and everything will look like before!

If you want to save a new schematic, first walk to the backside of your house. Place a build chest so that your house extends to the right and down from the build chest. Click on save a building and then set this position as new end position:

Now that the end is marked, walk to the front. Place a second build chest in front of your house - so that your house extends to the right and upwards from your build chest (Note: The build chest will not be part of the area that is to be saved). Click on save a building and proceed with saving. The Total height of your building value will be calculated automaticly. We entered -3 as a value for height offset because the building streches three more nodes into the ground as seen from the build chest - the entrance is on the same level where the build chest is, but there's that cellar as well. If you just want to include the floor, use -1. If you don't want the floor to be saved, use 0. Finally, enter a file name (like house_with_cellar) and click on Save building.

The chest will show you some information about file name and area saved. The _3_180 attached to the filename is additional information that will tell the mod that the house needs to be burried 3 nodes and that it is rotated by 180 degrees.

And this is how it looks like once it's spawned:

Schematics can be imported from the following formats:
  • Minetest schematic files (.mts) are of course supported. This is how the chest saves backups and whatever you choose to save.
  • WorldEdit (.we, .wem). The mod uses code from WorldEdit to deserialize the files. I'm not yet sure which liscence that will require.
  • MC (.schematic) files. You have to manually decompress the .schematic files (i.e. mv -i bla.schematic bla.schematic.zip ; unzip bla.schematic.zip) and might want to use mccompat in order to get a more complete list of replacements.
All these file types are read, translated into an intermediate table format and spawned using Lua Voxelmanip.

For some common nodes like wood, roof types and farming, diffrent replacements are offered so that you can change the type of wood and tree used with one click. Translations for RealTest nodenames are included. You can of course also select your own individual replacements for each node type. And if you don't like it, just restore the original landscape and try with another type of block. The choices offered depend on the mods you've got installed.
Here is a more complex examplge of a schematic where the nodes required do not exist in this world:
Or here, with even more unknown nodes:

The build chest also offers a preview image. That is of little use for now as you can just spawn the building and take a look at it. Later on, the build chest will not only be an admin tool but also be capable of spawning houses not out of thin air but by requesting the materials one-by-one from the player - similar to what I already did some time ago in random_buildings and similar to the build npc in towntest and npcf, although this mod will not get a mob. It will just ask for the materials and place them.

Known bugs/missing features:
  • Handling of metadata is not done well yet. It is only partially implemented and has not been tested under realistic circumstances.
  • The whole code needs a cleanup. Parts of it may have to be moved into other mods.
  • The file browser part doesn't work too well yet. The new api function minetest.get_dir_list needs to be extended for that purpose.
  • Schematics from a world file ought to be updated whenever the folder is accessed in the chest's menu. Right now, it requires a restart of the game to show up.
  • There ought to be an option to "build" a house with the build-chest by inserting the materials (as is done in towntest, npcf and random_buildings to various degrees). This will be a way for players to bring pre-generated structures into the world without any special privs or creating items out of nowhere.
  • The landscape backups may sum up. Some way of cleaning them up would be helpful.
  • The chest can only be removed using WorldEdit once a building is spawned.
Download: https://github.com/Sokomine/handle_sche ... master.zip
Browse code: https://github.com/Sokomine/handle_schematics
Version: 0.1 (alpha)
Licence: GPLv3 for my part; but WorldEdit may override that
Depends on: nothing
Optionally depends on: default, doors, farming, wool, stairs, cottages, moretrees, RealTest: trees, deco, metals, grounds, forest, dryplants, cavestuff, snow, moresnow, darkage, ethereal, moreblocks, bell, mobf_trader, docfarming (including farming plusplus), mccompat
And, of course: supports mg_villages
Regarding the optional dependencies: You'd want handle_schematics to optionally depend on any mod that provides blocks for houses you want to spawn with mg_villages.

Update 27.12.2016:
  • Added texture for handle_schematics:support. It acts as scaffolding - i.e. can be walked through, climbed, easily mounted and dismounted.
  • The scaffolding nodes can be crafted from "stick - nothing - stick". That gives you four of them. It's a cheap receipe, but then...better have some scaffolding standing around than nerdpoles.
  • Fixed several bugs.
  • Works now with security enabled. To a degree. Schematics can only be imported from your <WORLDNAME>/schems/ folder. You have to move them there yourshelf.
  • Added a few sample buildings. Amongst them is a very simple house for new players (those that join servers and either beg others for a house or just build a horrible cobble box). The other two buildings will probably be added to mg_villages soon.
Last edited by Sokomine on Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:18, edited 7 times in total.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Uvirith
In-game: Uvirith

Re: Save and import buildings [handle_schematics]

by Uvirith » Post

This mod is brilliant and opens up so many possibilities for mods and subgames! I've lurked on these forums for a few years now and dabbled in many private projects, but this warrants my first post here!

I have a couple of questions:
  • Saving a building to the world/schems folder works perfectly for me, but reading from either file or directory does not for any of the four file types. Do you have any inkling as to why this might be? I've added the mod to the trusted mods list in the minetest.conf.
  • Could you possibly add a sample "list_of_schematics.txt" or further documentation on formatting it?
  • Also, just a heads up, the images aren't displaying in the OP.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Uvirith wrote: This mod is brilliant and opens up so many possibilities for mods and subgames! I've lurked on these forums for a few years now and dabbled in many private projects, but this warrants my first post here!
I'm glad that you like it :-) Yet there may be a lot of other great mods by other modders who also warrant usage :-) There are so many I wouldn't want to miss on a server! My singleplayer-worlds are usually only test worlds.
Uvirith wrote: Saving a building to the world/schems folder works perfectly for me, but reading from either file or directory does not for any of the four file types. Do you have any inkling as to why this might be? I've added the mod to the trusted mods list in the minetest.conf.
Right now you have to restart the game in order to get to see the saved files. Or take a look at main -> worlds -> YOUR_WORLD_NAME -> schems. The file ought to appear there - at least until the next restart, when it will be added to import from world -> -current world-.
Uvirith wrote: Could you possibly add a sample "list_of_schematics.txt" or further documentation on formatting it?
It's a very simple list that contains one file name per line. Example:

/usr/local/src/minetest/games/ethereal/mods/ethereal/schematics/volcanol.mts
/usr/local/src/minetest/games/small/mods/apartment/schems/apartment_4x10_0_270.mts
/usr/local/src/minetest/worlds/small1/schems/wagon_8.mts
/home/minetestuser/shared_shems/hut.mts
/home/minetestuser/shared_schems/medievalhouse.schematic
The pahts have to be absolute and seperated by a slash. The file was a workaround to get files added before minetest.get_dir_list was added to the MT api. The method still works, and if you feed it a list of all the files found in your various world- and mod folders, it can give you intresting insights on which schematics are used where and how they look like. Working with the fixed text list which is only read at the start of the game is not very flexible and sadly not very userfreindly I'm afraid. That's why I didn't document it any further.
Uvirith wrote: Also, just a heads up, the images aren't displaying in the OP.
Thank you for reporting! I'll try to fix that right now.

Don
GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Post

Nice work!
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Seems linking the images is quite tricky. I've for now added a second link - that one the image hoster suggested for forum links. Hope that helps. Placing the iimages for documenting mods somewhere is always troublesome. Those hosters either shut down soon or require JavaScript (which I won't enable for them).

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

your download link may have a slash missing between "handle_schematics" and "archive"

https://github.com/Sokomine/handle_schematicsarchive/master.zip
Regarding the pictures, maybe create a page on the wiki?
Not just the pictures but put the whole description on the wiki while leaving the basics on the forum.

/me goes of and plays with some new mods while his roman-map keeps crashing on some old ones.............

Uvirith

by Uvirith » Post

Yet there may be a lot of other great mods by other modders who also warrant usage :-)
Oh, you needn't worry about that. I've used many other mods over the years, but just hadn't registered on the forum. Having dabbled in minetest modding myself recently, mostly tweaking adventure-test, I realized just how much work goes into many of the mods and decided to start giving feedback/praise!
It's a very simple list that contains one file name per line.
Thanks for that, it's working now! For some reason, I had only tried using relative paths...
Working with the fixed text list which is only read at the start of the game is not very flexible and sadly not very userfriendly I'm afraid.
I understand, but it's very useful for modding and testing schematics; also, for converting my old schematics from Minecraft.

Great work! :)

Uvirith

by Uvirith » Post

might want to use mccompat in order to get a more complete list of replacements.
Another quick heads up, the mccompat link in the above quote leads to the "Post your specs here!" thread. The link in the "optional depends" section points to the right thread :)

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

twoelk wrote: your download link may have a slash missing between "handle_schematics" and "archive"
Thanks! It's now corrected. I usually copy that section between diffrent mods and just change the mod's name. This time I missed the slash.
twoelk wrote: Regarding the pictures, maybe create a page on the wiki?
Not just the pictures but put the whole description on the wiki while leaving the basics on the forum.
I havn't done much with the MT wiki yet. My plans are to use github pages for the documentation. At least I hope that that'd last a bit longer.
twoelk wrote: /me goes of and plays with some new mods while his roman-map keeps crashing on some old ones.............
The roman map is really great. Hope you get it running again! And I'll try to add my own reconstruction once I find the time.
Uvirith wrote: mostly tweaking adventure-test
Ah :-) That is a very nice game/subgame for MT. As it includes mg_villages, it also comes with handle_schematics; so you can just use /giveme handle_schematics:build and get started. BrandonReese also actively develops his game and runs a server for it.
Uvirith wrote: I understand, but it's very useful for modding and testing schematics; also, for converting my old schematics from Minecraft.
Please also check how good it works. MC doesn't really run on my machine. I'm using this import method to take a look at what other people built in MC. But I can't be entirely sure if my interpretation of some nodes is close enough. Plus some nodeboxes/meshes are still missing. If you have a better suggestion for the grass color, please provide one. I'm not very satisfied with the current one. The mccompat link has been corrected. Thanks for reporting!

Ferk
GitHub: Ferk

by Ferk » Post

Sokomine wrote:[*] Minetest schematic files (.mts) are of course supported. This is how the chest saves backups and whatever you choose to save.
From my experience with ".mts" files, it looks like they don't save the content of chests (I mean.. chest nodes inside the schematic). How do you cope with that? Are you saving the metadata of chests separately or are chests inside the houses not preserving their content?

".we" files do keep the content of chests in worldedit. Is this supported by your implementation?
{ ☠ Dungeontest ☠ , ᗧ••myarcade•• }

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Fork wrote: From my experience with ".mts" files, it looks like they don't save the content of chests (I mean.. chest nodes inside the schematic). How do you cope with that? Are you saving the metadata of chests separately or are chests inside the houses not preserving their content?
That falls under "handling of metadata is not done very well yet and hasn't been tested enough". .mts files do not store any metadata - that's right. I've added some code so that metadata will be saved in table format in a .meta file. Take a look at your <worldname>/schems folder. Provided the area you saved (or where you spawned something in using the build chest) contained metadata worth saving, there ought to be such a .meta file. But I havn't tested the code enough and not checked all cases. It might work or might not work right now. Bug reports and tests are welcome!
mg_villages is not affected by this as it does not make any use of metadata. The chests are filled randomly, and the signs are currently ignored. At least until I find a good usage for them.

Ferk
GitHub: Ferk

by Ferk » Post

Oh sorry, I didn't notice that in the list.
That's nice, I think I'll test it on the weekend. I'm trying to write something to save an entire map area as schematic and restore it during mapgen.

The .meta files for the .mts makes this mod more interesting than worldedit for this purpose. The missing piece is saving the entities as well, but that's probably out of the scope for this mod, I guess.
{ ☠ Dungeontest ☠ , ᗧ••myarcade•• }

meldrian
GitHub: meldrian
IRC: meldrian
In-game: meldrian

by meldrian » Post

Hello everyone,
I did a little video about this mod, describing it and showing a little how it works.
English version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyqM-k1P02s
German version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUeR2Rnodpk
Hope this helps in getting started with handle schematics.

Greetings,

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Once again, Sokomine, you have done a great service to the Minetest community. OldCoder would be proud of you.

Don
GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Post

Inocudom wrote:Once again, Sokomine, you have done a great service to the Minetest community. OldCoder would be proud of you.
I agree 100%
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

meldrian wrote: Hello everyone,
I did a little video about this mod, describing it and showing a little how it works.
English version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyqM-k1P02s
German version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUeR2Rnodpk
Hope this helps in getting started with handle schematics.
Thank you for doing the videos! I hope they'll help people understand what the build chest is for and how it can be used. The documentation is very well done and shows how to circumvent the formspecs still have.

According to the German video, you'll want to set enable_build_where_you_stand = true in your minetest.conf. That'll turn that annoying you're-standing-there-and-not-allowed-to-place-a-block-here problem off, and you can build as before.

It took me some time to answer because I had trouble seeing the video. The required data rate is above what my connection can handle. After downloading it in full I was able to finally view it. If anyone else is having a similar problem: youtube-dl unter Linux is a very helpful program :-)

Milan*
GitHub: tchncs
IRC: Passant
In-game: Milan Passant

by Milan* » Post

It seems to not work currently... it is added to trusted mods but there is a:
Attempt to access external file ... with mod security on.
error.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Update:
  • Added texture for handle_schematics:support. It acts as scaffolding - i.e. can be walked through, climbed, easily mounted and dismounted.
  • The scaffolding nodes can be crafted from "stick - nothing - stick". That gives you four of them. It's a cheap receipe, but then...better have some scaffolding standing around than nerdpoles.
  • Fixed several bugs.
  • Works now with security enabled. To a degree. Schematics can only be imported from your <WORLDNAME>/schems/ folder. You have to move them there yourshelf.
  • Added a few sample buildings. Amongst them is a very simple house for new players (those that join servers and either beg others for a house or just build a horrible cobble box). The other two buildings will probably be added to mg_villages soon.
Milan* wrote: It seems to not work currently... it is added to trusted mods but there is a:
Attempt to access external file ... with mod security on
Mod security is still a big problem. In general, the idea behind mod security is something I favor a lot - it is a great relief that it exists now and can prevent mods from doing harmful things like executing commands or writing files. Trouble is that it's too restrictive. handle_schematics wants to present the user with a list of schematics created from the current and other worlds. Reading files from other folders than the current world is considered suspicious by mod_security and forcibly denied. Even trusting the mod doesn't really help. The devs suggested using a shared schems/ folder, but that's only a workaround. All those old saved buildings in older worlds will still be where they are, and structures from mods will not be accessible this way either.

hajo

by hajo » Post

Sokomine wrote:Update 27.12.2017:
Wow - you're planning way ahead :-)

BTW, a happy new year to you !

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

hajo wrote:
Sokomine wrote: Update 27.12.2017:
Wow - you're planning way ahead :-)
Can't hurt to plan loooong ahead :) (Thanks for the hint ,-))
hajo wrote: BTW, a happy new year to you !
Thanks! To you as well. Let's...er...try out 2017 first :)

hajo

by hajo » Post

Sokomine wrote:Update 27.12.2016:
[*] Works now with security enabled. To a degree. Schematics can only be imported
from your <WORLDNAME>/schems/ folder. You have to move them there yourshelf.
[*] Added a few sample buildings.
I'm running minetest 0.4.15, and I can save houses, but building them doesn't work.

I copied the example-folder from the mod to my world- /schems/ folder,
and the file with my saved house ends up there.

But after pressing the "main"-button, there is nothing to select
(except for the "back"-button).
So, neither the example-buildings nor my own house is presented.

Exit and restarting the game doesn't change things.
Also, no messages in debug.txt, except for placing the build-chest.
What now ?

ManElevation
GitHub: ManElevation
IRC: ManElevation
In-game: ManElevation

by ManElevation » Post

hajo wrote:
Sokomine wrote:Update 27.12.2016:
[*] Works now with security enabled. To a degree. Schematics can only be imported
from your <WORLDNAME>/schems/ folder. You have to move them there yourshelf.
[*] Added a few sample buildings.
I'm running minetest 0.4.15, and I can save houses, but building them doesn't work.

I copied the example-folder from the mod to my world- /schems/ folder,

But after pressing the "main"-button, there is nothing to select

Exit and restarting the game doesn't change things.
Also, no messages in debug.txt, except for placing the build-chest.
What now ?

same for me. thx for the mod, but needs to be fixxed
My Public Mods! Discord: Rottweiler Games#3368

captpete

by captpete » Post

restore original landscape is not working for me (0.4.15 - Windows 10 64bit). The backup file is never created. minetest is installed stand-alone on a different drive than C: so no admin rights needed.

CuriousNoob

typo..?

by CuriousNoob » Post

Sokomine wrote:Warning: This mod is incomplete and under development. The code does need a lot of cleanup.
you need to add

secure.trusted_mods = handle_schematic
to your minetest.conf.
Erm, ''shurely shome mishtake..?''

Simple typo I'm sure, but shouldn't there be an ''s'' on the end : secure.trusted_mods = handle_schematics

That said, it doesn't seem to work either way --- maybe the trust code needs scrutiny..? :(

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

hajo wrote: I copied the example-folder from the mod to my world- /schems/ folder,
That's the right way to do it. Reading from the world/WORLDNAME/schems/ folder ought to work regardless of mod_security/trusted_mods.
hajo wrote: But after pressing the "main"-button, there is nothing to select
There ought to be "import from world" (which is the relevant link for the above mentionned folder - not "main"), "landscape backups" (if you manually want to load one of the automatic landscape backups), "main" (which only gets populated if you have mg_villages installed) and "save a building". Perhaps I ought to rename "main" as that one cannot work the way I want it to work with mod_security enabled.

Please also try the most recent version. I usually do not test with stable but with latest dev.
captpete wrote: restore original landscape is not working for me (0.4.15 - Windows 10 64bit). The backup file is never created. minetest is installed stand-alone on a different drive than C: so no admin rights needed.
Could be related to path names (windows uses "\" instead of "/"), but that's usually translated on the lua level. Can you try if you're able to save schematics with other tools, like WorldEdit? It's called //mtschemcreate yourfilename there. You might also try to create the schems/ folder inside your world manually.
CuriousNoob wrote: Simple typo I'm sure, but shouldn't there be an ''s'' on the end : secure.trusted_mods = handle_schematics

That said, it doesn't seem to work either way --- maybe the trust code needs scrutiny..? :(
You're right. It ought to be handle_schematics with an s at the end. And it currently really does not make any diffrence at all due to the way security seems to work :-( All that's possible is either discard security alltogehter (which I don't want to advise anyone to do with unkown mods) or enable security and be limited to the world/WORLDNAME/schems/ folder and copy schematics there manually.