[mod] Not so simple plants and fungi [nsspf]

npx
In-game: npx

Re: [mod] Not so simple plants and fungi

by npx » Post

They are spawned only on one side of the trunks, the correct one...

cx384
GitHub: cx384
IRC: cx384

by cx384 » Post

npx wrote:
cx384 wrote:You can add fomes fomentarius. This fungi would be a nice fuel.
I've added it! Tell me if you like it! It can be used to craft amadou and with gunpowder lasting amadou.
Good job!
Can your read this?

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

yzelast wrote:So beautiful.It looks like a rich and complex mod,i like it.
I will keep watching this mod,it's amazing.
i totally agree, i really like the models wich grow "on the side of the tree"! pretty neat!
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

Chibi ghost
In-game: Ghost

by Chibi ghost » Post

unfortunately I destroyed the best part of 3 weeks worth of work that included effects of this mod I was just learning
which mushrooms are edible and what to stay away from lol after almost killing my self twice this is a fun add-on for almost any world

D00Med
GitHub: D00Med

by D00Med » Post

npx wrote:They are spawned only on one side of the trunks, the correct one...
Ok thanks
Look! I have a signature :]
My subgame: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14051#p207242

npx

by npx » Post

All the mushrooms are real mushrooms and have their real effect. It's up to you to discover which ones are edible! Even using your experience ;)

TheReaperKing

by TheReaperKing » Post

Thank you for the learning experience. I thought that the mushrooms would be on the north side (though I read some do grow on the north side) but I found that some fungi grow on the south side too, interesting! This was a fun read:
http://www.naturalnavigator.com/the-lib ... ng-lichens
Become A Real Life Superhero - http://SuperheroHill.com
Project Lead of the Doom 3 Mod Last Man Standing - http://Doom3Coop.com
Project Lead of Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker - http://SandboxGameMaker.com
Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/PlatinumArtsKids

CuriousNoob

re : plant and fungi navigation

by CuriousNoob » Post

TheReaperKing wrote:Thank you for the learning experience. I thought that the mushrooms would be on the north side (though I read some do grow on the north side) but I found that some fungi grow on the south side too, interesting! This was a fun read:
http://www.naturalnavigator.com/the-lib ... ng-lichens
Just remember that asymmetrical North/South phenomena would probably be reversed for the same species in the other hemisphere ;-P

npx

Re: [mod] Not so simple plants and fungi [nsspf]

by npx » Post

Moved to Mod releases!

lumberJack
GitHub: kakalak-lumberJack
IRC: lumberJack lumberJuice
In-game: lumberJack

by lumberJack » Post

Yes! More of this please. Excellent work. My only suggestion would be that as you continue to develop the mod, please include a configuration file or an easy way for people running servers to pick and choose fungi/plants they want to spawn on their map.

Edit: What just happened? :D I tested this on a test world and everything seemed to work nicely. Spawn rates were very moderate. Threw it on my server and it went crazy. Instantly there were mushrooms everywhere! Not sure what the issue is but I will continue to investigate and try to figure out what went wrong. Meanwhile, any clues would be appreciated. I would love to get mod to play nice with my server :)

npx

by npx » Post

It is a really nice idea, I will work on choosing the fungi to spawn!
Fungi in the wip version grew in this uncontrolled way... So I wrote an abm in order to kill the fungus in the moment in wich he grows too much, I think something went wrong in this process. Those fungi are very invasive, but in this way it should be a controlled process. Please, tell me if you discover something!

Chibi ghost

by Chibi ghost » Post

seems okay to me when a area loads sometimes I see about a dozen grouped together but most of the fungi vanish by the time time the area fully loads

lumberJack
GitHub: kakalak-lumberJack
IRC: lumberJack lumberJuice
In-game: lumberJack

by lumberJack » Post

Chibi ghost wrote:seems okay to me when a area loads sometimes I see about a dozen grouped together but most of the fungi vanish by the time time the area fully loads
That is basically the behavior I see if i load it in a fresh world and then build it up with other mods, but for some reason adding it to my already established world sends the fungus into overload. Can't really come up with a logical reason for this, but the fungus literally grown on virtually every tree/jungle block and crowd the ground. They don't seem die off, at least not within a few minutes.
npx wrote:It is a really nice idea, I will work on choosing the fungi to spawn!
Fungi in the wip version grew in this uncontrolled way... So I wrote an abm in order to kill the fungus in the moment in wich he grows too much, I think something went wrong in this process. Those fungi are very invasive, but in this way it should be a controlled process. Please, tell me if you discover something!
I'll keep messing with it. It may come down to just trying to tune down the abms, but it will be a few days before i have time to really get in there and experiment properly. I'll let you know if I come up with anything that seems to work.

Edit/update:
So, after several experiments to figure out what circumstances caused the overgrowth of fungus experienced on my map, there seems to be a relation to the server's age, specifically the game_time value recorded in the worlds/env_meta.txt file. I have tried turning up this value to 7-8 digit numbers and been able to replicate the overgrowth on new worlds. Also reloading all the mods I have on my server in a new world with nsspf does not trigger the overgrowth. I'll continue to experiment to try to find a way to integrate this mod into more "aged" worlds, but I thought I would share what I have found out so far...

npx

by npx » Post

Check the amazing review made by NathanS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbHFwUX ... 3gK_8V671H

Nathan, glowing fungi really glows in the real world! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycena_chlorophos
The tubers (truffles), that grow underground are precious and fragrant foods, they cannot be cooked at all!
All the names and effects of the mushrooms are real, but of course it is very hard to distinguish them in the woods only by seeing the models, so it is possible to use mod for didactic purposes, but not with the aim of finding and eating them, intoxications with fungi are unfortunately very common even among experts.

The growing part of the fungus, that is able to produce the mushroom after some time is the mycelium, a block of dirt covered with white "roots". The mycelium dies when exposed to air, but by digging the remained block, called fungusdirt it is possible to find the spores. The fungusdirt has the same texture of the dirt so it is hard to find it, but it is possible to farm fungi by clicking on them on the specific block that they requires. Those mechanics are complicated, that's why sometimes fungi escape from the control and overgrow!

Nathan.S
GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21

by Nathan.S » Post

I want to get some of those fungi for my house.

Thanks for explaining the growing information. I'll link your post one my website so people can find more information on how to grow the fungi.
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website, and brand new Minetest Modding Course

Chibi ghost

by Chibi ghost » Post

npx wrote:Check the amazing review made by NathanS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbHFwUX ... 3gK_8V671H

Nathan, glowing fungi really glows in the real world! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycena_chlorophos
The tubers (truffles), that grow underground are precious and fragrant foods, they cannot be cooked at all!
All the names and effects of the mushrooms are real, but of course it is very hard to distinguish them in the woods only by seeing the models, so it is possible to use mod for didactic purposes, but not with the aim of finding and eating them, intoxications with fungi are unfortunately very common even among experts.

The growing part of the fungus, that is able to produce the mushroom after some time is the mycelium, a block of dirt covered with white "roots". The mycelium dies when exposed to air, but by digging the remained block, called fungusdirt it is possible to find the spores. The fungusdirt has the same texture of the dirt so it is hard to find it, but it is possible to farm fungi by clicking on them on the specific block that they requires. Those mechanics are complicated, that's why sometimes fungi escape from the control and overgrow!
ah that's where I've been going wrong shame I converted the glass houses I made for the mushrooms into store houses for flowers for dying with

burli

by burli » Post

This mod uses 28 ABM's? Seriously? You really should replace some of them with node timers

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

Why can't I place mushrooms down in creative mode? They always disappear, wherever I put one...

Also, how do you plant spores? I don't quite understand that.
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

npx

by npx » Post

This is a "realistic" mod, I think, it is quite irrealistic put a mushrooms again on the ground.

Each fungus type need a specific block on which you must click with the spores.
Saprobiontic fungi (macrolepiota, lycoperdon, psilocybe...) just need a block of dirt_with_grass on a dirt block, you have to click on the dirt_with_grass to transform the dirt under it in mycelium.
Mychorrizal fungi (amanita, boletus, truffles...): you have to click with the spores on the right tree trunk, this will transform the dirt under the trunk in mycelium.
Snowbank fungi work as the saprobiontic but using the dirt_with_snow, instead of dirt with grass.
Is it clear? Maybe we will make a video in order to explain better all these dynamics, I understand that I'm not able to explain very well... Sorry!
Last edited by npx on Tue Mar 14, 2017 22:56, edited 1 time in total.

Chibi ghost

by Chibi ghost » Post

no you did very well much easier to understand now thank you

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

Thank you very much. I understand now.
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

the_raven_262
GitHub: theraven262
IRC: [Discord unfortunately] corvus262

by the_raven_262 » Post

This mod is complex and quite interesting, though if i were you i would make mushrooms fall to the ground when i cut the tree that is holding them.

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

burli wrote:28 ABM
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

TailsTheFoxDoes MT
In-game: TailsTheFox

by TailsTheFoxDoes MT » Post

npx wrote:A mod that adds wild plants and fungi in order to give another source of food without farming.

For now there are only 29 fungi and no plants.
You just have to walk around in the different biomes and gather the fungi.
All the fungi are taken from the real world and thay have their scientific names. Many of them are good to eat, but others can be lethal.
There are 5 types of fungi:
-Ectomycorrhizal fungi: grows in association with the roots of trees, the mycelium grows in the ground and sometimes a mushroom will grow. There are also truffles, hard to find (truffles are produced underground)
-Saprobiontic fungi: divided in 4 categories distiguished by where they grow
+Jungle fungi grow on trees trunks in the jungle.
+Grass fungi grow as mycelium underground in grassland and sometimes produce a mushroom on the surface.
+Snowbank fungi act as grass fungi but under the snow.
+Tree fungi as jungle fungi grow on trees trunks of trees and pine trees.

The mushrooms:

Fungi are generated by abm, so their growth will require some time.

It is possible to farm the fungi with the spores. Exposed to air mycelium will die and the dirt left may contain spores, dropped when digged.
For saprobiontic is necessary to click with the spores the ground (dirt_with_grass or dirt_with_snow) to grow a new mycelium under the node. Ectomycorrhizal fungi spores need to placed on the bottom of the right trunk of a tree, each fungus need a specific tree.

Many mushrooms are hard to digest so it is better to cook them before eating, in order to appreciate their nutritional value fully. Cooking could also inactivate the toxin in poisonous fungi (only in some of them obviously!). In other cases cooking may damage the benefic propreties of the mushrooms reducing his nutritional value.

License: LGPLv3 for the code; CC BY-SA 4.0 for the models and textures

Github: https://github.com/NPXcoot/nsspf
Download: https://github.com/NPXcoot/nsspf/archive/master.zip
Ugh this is too COMPLEX for me! :P
I'm the TailsTMM of minetest, in other words, i rock.
BRAAAAAZZZZAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BTW it means TailsTheMeseMinecart, but that isn't my name, it's just a way of saying that i basically do the same thing Dantdm does but i do it with minetest And you problably can't see the invisible ink.
My mods:
My first mod:tails_boss

Mob_pack now has voice acting! Do you want YOUR VOICE included? Look in my posts for the thread!

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

What happens to the brown and red mushrooms from Minetest Game? Will they be replaced?