[Game] rpgtest [git][rpgtest]

cd2
GitHub: cdqwertz
In-game: cd cd2

Re: [Game] rpgtest [git][rpgtest]

by cd2 » Post

D00Med wrote:This reminds me, a while ago I made some mob textures for this game.
Feel free to use them if you like.
Cool! (I will take a look at them later.)

Edit : They look really good!

cd2

by cd2 » Post

Version 1.0

Download : https://github.com/cdqwertz/rpgtest/releases

Update
  • added crafting guide button to inventory
  • added quest tab to player's inventory
  • fixed blueprints
  • fixed ability books
  • improved furnace system
  • show how many skill points are left

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

The workbenches in watchtowers can't be used as workbenches until you take them and replace them again
The only way to fix that is to replace the workbench with something else, isn't it?
No. I know that I can just do minetest.set_node for default:chest (in Minetest Game) and Minetest Game will already set all node metadata (i.e. the formspec) properly. I know this works because I created some mods which just do that to place chests.

I'm not sure but I think the grunt work is done in the on_construct function of default:chest. You may want to read the source code of the default mod in Minetest Game.
Wuzzy wrote:- I can't see my level
You should see your level next to the xp bar.
Oops.

The tooltip fail seems to be a Minetest 0.4.14 issue, it does not appear in 0.4.15. Forget about this.

New bugs I found:
- First slot in craft guide is empty
- You can still scroll out infinitely to the right in the craft guide
- Damage of blueprint does not match damage written in the tooptip of the actual weapon: Suger Sword lvl 17, Old Battle Axe lvl 14, Old Hammer lvl 30. Maybe it's wrong for other weapons as well, I haven't checked all.
- Recipes of copper armor are the same as for iron armor

Also: Where are the enemies?

EDIT: More bugs:
- The fishing rod sometimes gives you a cooked fish! xD
- The crafting guide does not show the anvil recipes
- Yellow and red fish can't be cooked

cd2

by cd2 » Post

Wuzzy wrote:
The workbenches in watchtowers can't be used as workbenches until you take them and replace them again
The only way to fix that is to replace the workbench with something else, isn't it?
No. I know that I can just do minetest.set_node for default:chest (in Minetest Game) and Minetest Game will already set all node metadata (i.e. the formspec) properly. I know this works because I created some mods which just do that to place chests.

I'm not sure but I think the grunt work is done in the on_construct function of default:chest. You may want to read the source code of the default mod in Minetest Game.
The problem is, that I use minetest schematics to spawn these structures. Minetest schematics don't save metadata and don't call on_construct when placed. I think the only way to fix that would be to use

Code: Select all

minetest.set_gen_notify
Wuzzy wrote: New bugs I found:
- First slot in craft guide is empty
Fixed
Wuzzy wrote:- Damage of blueprint does not match damage written in the tooptip of the actual weapon: Suger Sword lvl 17, Old Battle Axe lvl 14, Old Hammer lvl 30. Maybe it's wrong for other weapons as well, I haven't checked all.
Fixed
Wuzzy wrote:- Recipes of copper armor are the same as for iron armor
Fixed
Wuzzy wrote: Also: Where are the enemies?
Try to restart the server/world.
Wuzzy wrote: EDIT: More bugs:
- The fishing rod sometimes gives you a cooked fish! xD
Easter egg.
Wuzzy wrote: - The crafting guide does not show the anvil recipes
https://github.com/cdqwertz/rpgtest/projects/4
Wuzzy wrote:- Yellow and red fish can't be cooked
This isn't a bug, but it seems to be confusing for players. Fixed

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

If yellow and red fish weren't supposed to be cooked, what was their original intended use?

Cooked fish are an easter egg? Lol. Easter eggs in software are usually hidden and can't be found by normal gameplay. This is not an easter egg for me as it is fairly easy to find in normal gameplay.

Oh, and I finally ran into a few enemies. But they seem to be super rare.
The problem is, that I use minetest schematics to spawn these structures. Minetest schematics don't save metadata and don't call on_construct when placed. I think the only way to fix that would be to use (…)
Oh, I see. Maybe you should talk to the Minetest developers about this (in IRC) or post a thread in Modding Discussion. Maybe someone has a better idea how to spawn functioning workbenches into the world like you intend.

Amaz
GitHub: Amaz1
IRC: Amaz
In-game: Amaz

by Amaz » Post

For spawning working workbenches, you could try something similar to what is done in LOTT. To make things like this work, there are nodes (generally with the airlike drawtype, so they're invisible) which are placed in the schematics in place of the furnace/workbench/whatever, and an abm runs on them, with an interval of 9 and a chance of 1, converting them to the proper node. (Here are some relevant bits of code: node def and abm def)

This is a little hacky and not ideal, but in place of a better solution, it works. I hope this helps a bit!

cd2

by cd2 » Post

Amaz wrote:For spawning working workbenches, you could try something similar to what is done in LOTT. To make things like this work, there are nodes (generally with the airlike drawtype, so they're invisible) which are placed in the schematics in place of the furnace/workbench/whatever, and an abm runs on them, with an interval of 9 and a chance of 1, converting them to the proper node. (Here are some relevant bits of code: node def and abm def)

This is a little hacky and not ideal, but in place of a better solution, it works. I hope this helps a bit!
That is a really good idea. I think I will try that out :)

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Because I think this subgame is quite good enough to be showcased and recently reached version 1.0, I created an entry on the LGDB for this:

https://lgdb.org/game/rpgtest

cd2

by cd2 » Post

Wuzzy wrote:Because I think this subgame is quite good enough to be showcased and recently reached version 1.0, I created an entry on the LGDB for this:

https://lgdb.org/game/rpgtest
Thank you :)

cd2

by cd2 » Post

NPCs
  • added npcs
  • allow players to trade with npcs

TODO
  • add add_talk_goal() to quests mod
  • add npcs to some buildings
Attachments
screenshot_20170110_191826.png
screenshot_20170110_191826.png (222.46 KiB) Viewed 1737 times

cd2

by cd2 » Post

UPDATE
  • added dye
  • added /list_places
Attachments
screenshot_20170113_143455.png
screenshot_20170113_143455.png (221.38 KiB) Viewed 1737 times

cd2

by cd2 » Post

NPCs
  • added more npcs
  • added add_talk_goal()
Attachments
screenshot_20170115_114307.png
screenshot_20170115_114307.png (228.13 KiB) Viewed 1737 times

cd2

by cd2 » Post

UPDATE
  • fixed workbench
  • fixed grow ability
  • fixed mob spawning
  • fixed README.md
PS: Thanks to WSDguy2014 for reporting many bugs. If you find any bugs or have any suggestions, you can open an issue on GitHub (https://github.com/cdqwertz/rpgtest/issues).

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

you are doing very good work with npcs!
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Is there any server running this subgame? It might be intresting, in particular with the npc (didn't find any so far).

The bushes and trees with their diffrent thickness are very nice and form a decorative landscape. Leaves can be walked/climbed as on the Landrush server - that's very nice. There's a greeting and introduction at the beginning - something MTG certainly doesn't have to offer. The steps that are implemented work nicely. Hope there'll be more comming (farming? hunting? that village that was promised at the beginning?). The tasks of the quest system are fun to do. Finding 10 diamonds is a bit tricky and timeconsuming. It might be helpful to display the current task more prominent and to also show the craft receipe for the requested item directly.

I don't like the textures much because resolution and contrast seem low. Many diffrent nodes and craftitems look very similar, which makes it tricky to distinguish between them. I can hardly make out which item is wielded. There's also a search field missing in the craft guide (good that there's one!). Maybe also add a back-button.

How does crafting armor work? That is, how can the blueprints be obtained? The idea to have them is very nice.
cd2 wrote: The problem is, that I use minetest schematics to spawn these structures. Minetest schematics don't save metadata and don't call on_construct when placed. I think the only way to fix that would be to use
Placing spawner nodes which later on turn into the desired node type via abm/lbm might be the best solution in this case. mg_villages places its nodes via voxelmanip, stores where metadata/on_construct-calls are needed, and does those metadata changes after all placement is finished. This works because the houses are placed manually and all positions of furnaces, chests etc. are known. A randomly spawned schematic placed by mapgen doesn't have this option.
A list of my mods can be found here.

dawgdoc
GitHub: dawgdoc

by dawgdoc » Post

I agree completely about some of the stone with ore blocks are hard to distinguish, or even notice, if an area is not well lit.
Spoiler
I found the villages (without npc-s) in dried forest areas.
Blueprints for armor, and other items, can be found in chests in the tree houses in the villages.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Give a kid a fish, it's going to die.

cd2

by cd2 » Post

Sokomine wrote:Is there any server running this subgame? It might be intresting, in particular with the npc (didn't find any so far).
No, there is no server running this subgame at the moment.
Sokomine wrote: The bushes and trees with their diffrent thickness are very nice and form a decorative landscape. Leaves can be walked/climbed as on the Landrush server - that's very nice. There's a greeting and introduction at the beginning - something MTG certainly doesn't have to offer. The steps that are implemented work nicely. Hope there'll be more comming (farming? hunting? that village that was promised at the beginning?).
Farming is already implemented, but there are no quests about it. I think I will have to remove the thing with the village in singleplayer. The idea behind the thing with the village was, that server owners were able to guide new players to a nearby village after playing the tutorial (to meet other players, trade items...).
Sokomine wrote:The tasks of the quest system are fun to do. Finding 10 diamonds is a bit tricky and timeconsuming. It might be helpful to display the current task more prominent and to also show the craft receipe for the requested item directly.

I don't like the textures much because resolution and contrast seem low. Many diffrent nodes and craftitems look very similar, which makes it tricky to distinguish between them. I can hardly make out which item is wielded.
Could you give me some examples?
Sokomine wrote:There's also a search field missing in the craft guide (good that there's one!). Maybe also add a back-button.
Ok, I guess I need to add that.
Sokomine wrote:How does crafting armor work? That is, how can the blueprints be obtained? The idea to have them is very nice.
You can find blueprints in dungeons and in houses.
Sokomine wrote:
cd2 wrote: The problem is, that I use minetest schematics to spawn these structures. Minetest schematics don't save metadata and don't call on_construct when placed. I think the only way to fix that would be to use
Placing spawner nodes which later on turn into the desired node type via abm/lbm might be the best solution in this case.
Already implemented :) https://github.com/cdqwertz/rpgtest/com ... 0dafc6fd64

cd2

by cd2 » Post

dawgdoc wrote:I found the villages (without npc-s) in dried forest areas.
NPCs do not spawn anywhere in the world at the moment, because the npc system is still WIP at the moment.

PS: As some of you noticed, the development of rpgtest slowed down a lot in the last months, that does not mean, that I will stop developing this game. It just means that the development of rpgtest is slower (... but I guess, thats obvious).

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

cd2 wrote: (... but I guess, thats obvious)
yes, mostly :)

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

cd2 wrote:
Sokomine wrote: I don't like the textures much because resolution and contrast seem low. Many diffrent nodes and craftitems look very similar, which makes it tricky to distinguish between them. I can hardly make out which item is wielded.
Could you give me some examples?
It's particulary difficult to distinguish the textures in the craft guide. I see shades of grey, yellow and brown. Textures for many blocks (diffrent wooden planks, sandstone, sandstone brick, small stone tiles, stone, stone tile, wool, copper block, iron block) just kind of vanish. If I place such blocks and approach them close enough, the texture becomes visible, and it is apparent that contrast is very very low. It is also tricky to see which tool is selected as there's no helpful contrast between the selection box in the toolbar and the rest. It's all diffrent shades of brow. Maybe your screen is set up diffrently than mine. Ores are also very hard to find as only a very very tiny part of the block shows the ore texture - and that with low contrast. In the default game, copper ore in stone is sometimes also tricky to see.
cd2 wrote: You can find blueprints in dungeons and in houses.
Ah! Thank you. I havn't found many houses yet. Just one so far - it didn't have anything inside.
cd2 wrote: Already implemented :)
:-) That is good to hear :-)
cd2 wrote: NPCs do not spawn anywhere in the world at the moment, because the npc system is still WIP at the moment.
I was hoping to find some. Admittedly those in my villages also aren't satisfying yet...they just stand around all day. As your game is named rpgtest, I'm in particular looking forward to your NPC.

[quote="cd2"
PS: As some of you noticed, the development of rpgtest slowed down a lot in the last months, that does not mean, that I will stop developing this game. It just means that the development of rpgtest is slower (... but I guess, thats obvious).
[/quote]
Thanks for developping your game further! If it takes a bit longer that won't matter much. Just continue to work on it whenever you've got time :-) (Besides, your reply was very fast. It may take people weeks or even months to get a reply in one of my threads as I don't always read the forum completely)
A list of my mods can be found here.

pandaro
GitHub: pandaro

by pandaro » Post

i found this node texture bug,

http://imgur.com/a/lw5fx

never happened before, i don't know if is a minetest or rpgtest problem

i don't know why forum refuse to load my img

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

it's not a bug, it's the new minetest wireframe mode, it happens if you are in f5 mode ;)

pandaro
GitHub: pandaro

by pandaro » Post

facepalm
tnx

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

BTW: it's thx

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

by Stix » Post

I think it would be nice if the hostile-mobs were 3D.
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.