[WIP] dense_ores Denser ores for deeper depths

scottvee
In-game: scottvee

[WIP] dense_ores Denser ores for deeper depths

by scottvee » Post

Hi. This is a fairly basic mod, adding new blocks and colors for your deepest caves.

The mod adds three tiers of new blocks: Deep, Dense and Ultra Dense. The blocks affected are Stone, Coal Ore, Copper Ore, Diamond ore, Iron Ore.

Deep, Dense and Ultra Dense stone can be crafted into 2, 3 and 4 regular stone, or used as decorative blocks in their own right.

Deep Ores drop 2 lumps of ore.
Dense Ores drop 3 lumps of ore.
Ultra Dense Ores drop 4 lumps of ore.

The textures are original, based on a 32x32 update of the default:stone texture with color mapping. It took a while to settle on the colors I wanted. I also did some 32x32 tweaking of the ore layer textures with some rotations to create some striking new patterns. The colors are subtle, and in a poorly lit cave you might walk right past Deep and Dense ores. I didn't want them to be glaringly obvious. Ultra Dense stone and ores are a pale maroon color and quite a bit easier to spot.

These new stone blocks spawn from -200y all the way down to the bottom of the world. They are uncommon to fairly rare, and the ores that spawn within them are even more rare, but I hope they give some color and some variety, and some bonus ores as you explore down there. ;-)

Download: https://github.com/scottvee/dense_ores/ ... master.zip
Just unzip the zip file into your Minetest/mods folder to install the mod.

Screenshots:
The new tiers of ores:

The stones and stone bricks:

A vein of dense ore with a copper ore showing:

A vein of ultra dense ore with a copper ore showing:

There is now a config file where you can turn on/off tiers of stone and ores, or tweak their rarity in the world.
Check out the wiki here: https://github.com/scottvee/dense_ores/wiki
Last edited by scottvee on Sun Jan 15, 2017 06:31, edited 1 time in total.

octacian
GitHub: octacian
IRC: octacian
In-game: octacian

Re: [WIP] dense_ores Denser ores for deeper depths

by octacian » Post

This is an amazing idea! Great work, and cool textures!
MicroExpansion, Working Computers, All Projects - Check out my YouTube channel! (octacian)
I'm currently inactive in the Minetest community! So if I don't respond, that's why.

scottvee
In-game: scottvee

by scottvee » Post

Testing some newer, handmade dense ore textures. The old way with the rotations just came out weird.

Had some fun testing and tweaking the oregen. Also added a config file to set the rarity of the stones and ores to fit you world's needs. Update coming soon.

Chibi ghost
In-game: Ghost

by Chibi ghost » Post

I like the idea of that it seems to represent the atmospheric pressure of going deep underground

csirolli
GitHub: HeyITGuyFixIt
IRC: CSirolli
In-game: CSirolli

Licensing?

by csirolli » Post

What are the code and images licensed under?