[Mod]c_doors[c_doors][1.0]

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

[Mod]c_doors[c_doors][1.0]

by TumeniNodes » Post

c_doors adds centered doors, villa-style(?) windows, and an animated chest.

I am looking for someone who is interested, and can write an API for the doors (so it is similar in operation to the current default doors)... or, to simply work out the maths to use these models with the current doors code (would be very cool.... sofar, interested?)

A quick note, the large double windows can also be used as doors. (just a little tip...)

!!! All updates and contributors are added below this screenshot...

DOWNLOAD : https://github.com/TumeniNodes/c_doors/ ... master.zip

Source Code : https://github.com/TumeniNodes/c_doors

Licenses:
code: GNU Lesser General Public License, version 2.1

media: varies (please see license within each media folder)

Updates:

* 01/14/17 Open chest model cleaned up and retextured by Nathan.S (thank you Nathan)
* 01/14/17 New glass nodes by Napiophelios (thank you Napiophelios)
* 01/17/17 Two [2] more updates by Napiophelios (thank you)
* 01/18/17 New doors and windows with new materials by Me (thank you Me) :D
* 01/19/17 UUUUGE Update by Napiophelios!!!, as follows:
condensed format (removes over 800 lines of code)
enforced naming convention (textures)
removed unused textures / remade some textures
alters groups of nodes
adds some place holder crafting recipes
(thank you very much Napiophelios)
* 01/25/18: Big Update! New models, new textures, now uses doors_door textures (except _glass, because the glass detail is ugly). No more glitchy doors. Enjoy!
Attachments
screenshot.png
screenshot.png (319.94 KiB) Viewed 1631 times
Last edited by TumeniNodes on Fri Apr 06, 2018 22:49, edited 15 times in total.
A Wonderful World

Nathan.S
GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21

Re: [Mod]c_doors[c_doors][0.1]

by Nathan.S » Post

I can try to map the chest tomorrow morning. I see you include the blend file, and are using the default textures. I think it might need a few extra materials that way, but it will keep texture pack comparability so I get why you did that.
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website, and brand new Minetest Modding Course

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

Nathan.S wrote:I can try to map the chest tomorrow morning. I see you include the blend file, and are using the default textures. I think it might need a few extra materials that way, but it will keep texture pack comparability so I get why you did that.
Cool, thank you very much Nathan.
Yep, any ,mod I make for myself, I try to make a copy using default textures, in case it is something I think is worth sharing or others might like.
Don't open the blend file if you have a mouthful of food or drink though... you'll see instantly I'm horrible with blender :P
I don't know how to group pieces, and I think this is the most mapping I've done before. And for some reason the lock plate on the front would not show on export... After some expletives, I called it quits for the night :D

You will see, I was also trying to set a different metal texture for the hinge... anyway... it's a mess.

I'm just (barely) good enough with things to allow me to get my ideas out there so others can build on them and improve them... if they want.

Even though I used the defaults, others should be able to use different textures, etc... this just gives them the idea and a base to improve upon.
I know I 'm gonna change the metal door sound it's too reverb-ery? But, yeh... I have some ideas planned for the chest to hopefully make it really cool, it will probably involve a few varieties, and I'm hoping to be able to include compatibility for the connected chest mod
A Wonderful World

Chibi ghost
In-game: Ghost

by Chibi ghost » Post

ooo nice I wants this

Nathan.S

by Nathan.S » Post

I eliminated the hinge on the chest completely, as there was no texture in the chest textures that really seemed to make sense, it is also a lot easier to not deal with that little extra bit of geometry, that said if you want it I could add it in. Technically you could use a texture that you provide for the hinge and use the default textures for the chest. While I'm talking about textures let me mention, you don't need to include the default_chest_top/side/front.png files in your mod, as long as this mod depends on default it can use the textures from that mod.

I'll make a pull request in a short while, as soon as I export the new objs, and get the textures coded in. It actually ended up being much easier to do than I had thought it would be.

I did create an entirely new chest mesh rather than working with yours though... Rather than using a separate mesh for each side I just started with a cube, extruded a face on the top, and then in, making a hollow box. I then duplicated that, and rotated it to make the top of the chest. I've attached a couple images to show the comparison between yours and mine, both with textures, and in the wireframe view.

edit: have created a pull request.
Attachments
chest_update_2.png
chest_update_2.png (17.67 KiB) Viewed 1631 times
chest_update.png
chest_update.png (49.17 KiB) Viewed 1631 times

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

Nathan.S wrote:I eliminated the hinge on the chest completely, as there was no texture in the chest textures that really seemed to make sense, it is also a lot easier to not deal with that little extra bit of geometry, that said if you want it I could add it in. Technically you could use a texture that you provide for the hinge and use the default textures for the chest. While I'm talking about textures let me mention, you don't need to include the default_chest_top/side/front.png files in your mod, as long as this mod depends on default it can use the textures from that mod.

I'll make a pull request in a short while, as soon as I export the new objs, and get the textures coded in. It actually ended up being much easier to do than I had thought it would be.

I did create an entirely new chest mesh rather than working with yours though... Rather than using a separate mesh for each side I just started with a cube, extruded a face on the top, and then in, making a hollow box. I then duplicated that, and rotated it to make the top of the chest. I've attached a couple images to show the comparison between yours and mine, both with textures, and in the wireframe view.

edit: have created a pull request.
It looks so much nicer now Nathan... thank you very very much. Nice work.

And I fully agree, regarding the hinge. I will go and merge the PR right now.

Thank you again

So, this should work with any chest texture, as long as the images match with top and bottom separation when opened.
And one question. Would this model be difficult to stretch to accommodate connected chests integration?
A Wonderful World

Nathan.S

by Nathan.S » Post

This should work with any chest texture as long as lid seam in in the same location as the default chest. To accommodate connected chests it would just need to be stretched longer. I assume the connected chest texture is twice as wide as it is tall, but haven't really looked at that so I'm not positive if the texture would need anything else changed in the model. If it did, it would be simple to do.

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

Nathan.S wrote:This should work with any chest texture as long as lid seam in in the same location as the default chest. To accommodate connected chests it would just need to be stretched longer. I assume the connected chest texture is twice as wide as it is tall, but haven't really looked at that so I'm not positive if the texture would need anything else changed in the model. If it did, it would be simple to do.
Cool.

Merged, thank you. this looks really nice now. Nice n clean
A Wonderful World

yzelast
GitHub: yzelast
In-game: yzelast

Re: [Mod]c_doors[c_doors][0.2]

by yzelast » Post

I liked the chests a lot,very cool
G84mU6AQ9dKaNhxn6dq8P5C0y5r8NssE

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

yzelast wrote:I liked the chests a lot,very cool
Thank you, and thank Nathan.S, he just cleaned it up really good.

Just had a thought.., I wonder if the chest should be made a bit smaller... so they can still be placed in front of walls, etc., and still open properly?

As of now, if placed against a wall, when they open... :P the lid blends into the wall.

This should be able to be executed using visual_scale = (but I am not positive about that...) gonna give it a try later. it would also call for the normal chest to use a smaller nodebox... I'll have to look into this
I, myself would be fine with this, as it would make the chest look much nice if placed next to a bed, etc.. But, I am not sure how other users / most users would feel about this sort of change to a chest node?
Last edited by TumeniNodes on Sat Jan 14, 2017 19:55, edited 1 time in total.
A Wonderful World

Nathan.S

by Nathan.S » Post

The chest could be made a bit smaller so that the open lid doesn't stick into the node behind it, though it would still stick into any node above it. Another option would be to have the lid aligned to the back of the chest and sit over the front of it some, though that would look a little odd with the existing textures as it would require a special hinge that would sit on both of the outsides.

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

Nathan.S wrote:The chest could be made a bit smaller so that the open lid doesn't stick into the node behind it, though it would still stick into any node above it. Another option would be to have the lid aligned to the back of the chest and sit over the front of it some, though that would look a little odd with the existing textures as it would require a special hinge that would sit on both of the outsides.
Yeh, I think that might be a bit too dramatic of a change? I think keeping the opening mechanics of the lid the same, but just squeeze it down some to fit within nodespace at least on the same level.
As far as nodes above, well..., if users want to place a chest within a pocket in the wall, they will have to just allow an extra space above the chest (this would happen in real life too :P )
I'm gonna mess with it now, I have no pressing engagements today :D
A Wonderful World

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

So, visual_scale = 0.6 works the best but.... some little issues to address :P

(no idea how to fix this...)

The scale could be larger if the chest could be slid forward. It also floats/hovers off the floor.
This is all just a matter of redoing the positioning maths but I have no idea how to just from in my head... It would mean I would need to redo the entire physical model... so there has to be a way around that?

The normal chest should be able to be made to match it by making it a nodebox (I hope) as far as size goes. But I think the opened version should be accomplished first and then see where the closed version would need to sit
Attachments
screenshot_nom nom.png
screenshot_nom nom.png (229.92 KiB) Viewed 1631 times
A Wonderful World

Nathan.S

by Nathan.S » Post

Rather than using visual scale it would be better to just move in the back side of the model in Blender and export it, this way it would line up on the floor, and could be made as wide as the full node, and just a little more shallow. The closed version could either be a nodebox or a mesh, I think Minetest converts nodeboxes into meshes anyways, so not sure how much of a difference that would take.

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

Nathan.S wrote:Rather than using visual scale it would be better to just move in the back side of the model in Blender and export it, this way it would line up on the floor, and could be made as wide as the full node, and just a little more shallow. The closed version could either be a nodebox or a mesh, I think Minetest converts nodeboxes into meshes anyways, so not sure how much of a difference that would take.
I can understand that but, idk..., I'd really like to keep the visual proportions (squared/or cubed) the same, rather than create an odd looking item?
The closed version is easy enough using NBE, because you can simply output the positions with a .lua file.

Do you know how to get (extract) those positions from blender? I've tried to figure that out in the past but just wound up with a headache :P

The perfect result would be an open version scaled so the front sits at the front of the nodespace and the back of the opened lid at the back of the nodespace. This would fit best within the overall MT feel
A Wonderful World

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

oh... wait... the selection_box positions can just be changed, then add a smaller collision box... but, this does not address where the chest will sit within the nodespace? so that will still need to be addressed.

can't believe I didn't think about just changing the sel box... u-duh
A Wonderful World

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

Well, I just fiddled with it all a bit and... this is the conclusion

If it gets scaled down, it creates an entirely new look for the default (or whichever TP) is being used.
This either means a complete remodel of the open chest or, having it's own specific texture set... (which means any other TP being used will be all messed up....

Even moving the back in slightly, as you suggested Nathan, creates a need for specialized textures, (as does my method)

Maybe it just remains "as is" (at least for now?) and people just learn to make a slight change in how they set them into walls (if they like doing that), or, deal with the freaky look of the lid blending into the wall behind it.

What do you think? Just leave it be? cuz I'm good with that right now :D

Because now I still need to figure out how to integrate the current chests API into this so after it is opened, the player right-clicks inside the chest to bring up the formspec.
And then... start trying out some blingy/visual eye-candy effects to add into various types of chests

Nathan, I also wanted to ask you..., how do you set the textures as you did with blender? Because the doors need to be able to use a side texture for sides and top/bottom too (if you don't mind 'splainin it to me?) :D
But I didn't know how to do it, and especially due to having 2 diff models for each side...
A Wonderful World

Nathan.S

by Nathan.S » Post

A picture is worth a thousand words, and a video is made of 30 frames a second, so a ten-ish minute video must be worth, well lots of words. :D

I'll link the video just as soon as it finishes processing and everything.

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

Nathan.S wrote:A picture is worth a thousand words, and a video is made of 30 frames a second, so a ten-ish minute video must be worth, well lots of words. :D

I'll link the video just as soon as it finishes processing and everything.
: o what ist it??? lemme see!!! is it done yet?! how about now?
talk about suspense in advertising... :D

I'll come back to see if it's ready... I'm gonna eat some stuff and watch the latest Grand Tour :D
A Wonderful World

Nathan.S

by Nathan.S » Post

Napiophelios
GitHub: Napiophelios
IRC: Nappi
In-game: Nappi

by Napiophelios » Post

If you draw your nodeboxes differently, (like a frame instead of a panel)
you can get a more complete look for the glass doors/windows

screenshot01.png
screenshot01.png (52.63 KiB) Viewed 1631 times
screenshot02.png
screenshot02.png (41.71 KiB) Viewed 1631 times

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

Nathan.S wrote:It's done now.
https://youtu.be/i4-6u5rLnSc
excellent video tutorial Nathan, thank you!
Napiophelios wrote:If you draw your nodeboxes differently, (like a frame instead of a panel)
you can get a more complete look for the glass doors/windows

screenshot01.png
screenshot02.png
Those look really nice. Yeh, I literally threw those together and had not looked them over in depth yet. I was doing them as mesh but half way into it, decided they're fine as nodeboxes....
Yours look really nice and clean... I figured they'd look much better with the framed look like that.

I tagged them as "villa-style" windows but they are French style casement windows (I guess)... They're just windows then, ok? :D
A Wonderful World

TumeniNodes

Re: [Mod]c_doors[c_doors][0.3]

by TumeniNodes » Post

An oversight on my part... I completely forgot about Don's animated chests.. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=13375&hilit=myitemchest and now I feel like a creep : /

OK, I'm over the guilt now :D
Had I remembered about his awesome chests.... (wait... that sounds SO wrong) I could have simply forked from that or.... But anyway... I didn't, and here we are.

So, what now? Should I continue on with my chests? and integrate the API from his? I want to ask but he has not been around for a bit, and I hope he is doing ok...

One of my ideas, was that users could throw wielded items into the chest to bring up the formspec and to add some form of nirvana inducing visual effects, etc....

Just looking to hear from others to see what they think...
A Wonderful World

TumeniNodes

Re: [Mod]c_doors[c_doors][0.3]

by TumeniNodes » Post

Naj wrote:Doors are much better that way.. Doors have always been a problem for my buildings.
yep, I like them this way too. It just comes down to preference and, it's nice to have an option : )
These are primitive but, hopefully they will benefit from some better coding.

I'm hoping to have some time later today to map the textures to them properly, using the info Nathan.S gave in a video.

And once I do that, I plan to add a couple of material variations of both doors and windows. Just the basic materials in MT
A Wonderful World

TumeniNodes

Re: [Mod]c_doors[c_doors][0.5]

by TumeniNodes » Post

Bump, budaBUMP, budaBUMP BUMP BUMP.... :P

* 01/18/17 New doors and windows with new materials by Me (thank you Me) :D

Steel, Wood, Obsidian Glass, Glass!!! and MORE TO COME!

I was very unhappy with the way some items looked just using default textures, simply due to the way the textures aligned with the models so...., I wound up throwing specific textures in... They are still "default...-ish? just modified to look play niecr with this mod : )

And, I still need to try to map out the doors correctly. Nathan.S shared an awesome vid tute which absolutely no one could get wrong by following it....., except for me :P
So, I'm gonna keep pluggin away at it..., bear with me :D

If there is anyone who may want to use this mod but, you use a diff TP..., just mention it here and I will try to add other folders in so you can use this mod with those textures.

I can't make any promises regarding time frames or if it will even be done. I can only do my best to try.

Any requests will be handled on a first asked / first served basis.
A Wonderful World