[WIP] fall_stones: falling blocks ... watch your head!

scottvee
In-game: scottvee

[WIP] fall_stones: falling blocks ... watch your head!

by scottvee » Post

I had a nice quiet weekend and was able to spend some time coding basic mods to customize my game world. What a nice solid engine MineTest has become! High five to the team.

This mod [fall_stones] adds a bunch of blocks that look exactly like vanilla blocks except that they can fall on you. The blocks affected: clay, cobble, dirt, ice, snow, stone, stonebricks. Not every one of these blocks will crush you, only certain clumps of them. Safety tip: they sound different when you walk on them or hit them.

In order to make some of the stones less obvious, the mod also generates regular clay, cobble and stonebrick in the world ... which looks pretty cool, as if someone had been in that dark cave a century ago, or maybe the rocks just fractured under their own weight.

Download link: https://github.com/scottvee/fall_stones ... master.zip
Just unzip the file into your Minetest/mods folder and enjoy.
Wiki: https://github.com/scottvee/fall_stones/wiki

There is a config file to turn on/off certain blocks or oregen. I really get a kick of out mining my world now. Never know which blocks will drop down. Yay, gravity!

So far I have only been doing mods that add blocks and do some oregen. I have a few more mods planned to change the underworld in very specific ways, but I want to release these in logical pieces so you can pick and choose the flavors you want.

Watch your head!

firefox
In-game: Red_Fox

Re: [WIP] fall_stones: falling blocks ... watch your head!

by firefox » Post

sounds interesting =(^.^)=
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

scottvee
In-game: scottvee

Re: [WIP] fall_stones: falling blocks ... watch your head!

by scottvee » Post

Hi, thanks. It does feel a little more real when ledges collapse and tunnels cave in.

I just added crafting recipes to the blocks. Just take a vanilla block and add 3 gravel to make 2 of the matching falling blocks.

For anyone trying to do an educational modpack, use these falling blocks to show gravity working like in the real world.

My little world really needed this, since digging and digging and digging immovable stone gets a bit dull after a while.