[Mod] Boost cart [boost_cart]

hajo

Re: [Mod] Boost cart [boost_cart]

by hajo » Post

Are there any maps / demo-tracks with'railroads' or rollercoasters ?

Maybe map/worldedit-downloads or (links to) screenshots or (youtube-)videos ?

BirgitLachner
In-game: Bibs

by BirgitLachner » Post

As boost cart ist now part of the main Minetest Game ...

can I use levers or other mesecon parts to change the direction a cart takes when it comes to crossing?

Another thing I found out ... when I drive down in a cart the view of the cart from inside is not correct. Looks like I'm outside/behind the cart.

And hopefully, the carts will once collide to each other because there can be any number of carts in each other in one place.

lightseer

by lightseer » Post

Thanks.

I had trouble finding (on this site) the dependencies for the mod which list the following dependencies: cart, mesecons, moreores. I'm putting the links up here for the next noob.

Here are links to the threads:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2451&hilit=cart
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=549
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=628

Damned

by Damned » Post

I've just updated minetest to 4.15 and it seems to be having a problem with the now built-in boost carts. It seem that it's not recongnising all the powered rails.
I run a server on a windows machine, don't use mesecons mod.
With the previous 4.14 build I could achieve a steady circular climb out of a deep mine using 2 powered rails out of every 10, climbing 4 nodes with a 90 degree turn at the top.

This worked perfectly fine. The cart would climb at a steady rate without going too fast to cause it to start jumping about when it can't cope with the constant change of position. However, since updating to 4.15, it hits the 2 powered rails but doesn't get a boost. I've tried it on a flat area with the same results. Adding a 3rd powered rail does finally give a boost, but it's the equivalent of only 1 rail so it gets part way up the slope, stops, and rolls back.

On the flat, I laid 3 boosts for every 25 rails. In 4.14 it would move along a a steady pace with an occasional jump as it loads the next portion of map, but in 4.15, it seems to be getting a bigger boost so ends up jumping all over the place as it can't cope with the speed and change in position.

So now it's struggling to go uphill and too fast on the flat. I've looked through the code and the only thing I can see is a change on the acceleration from 0.5 to 5; from a float to an integer? Otherwise I can see no difference unless I've missed something. Any advice?

ABJ
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

by ABJ » Post

try replacing the power rails? it might work

Damned

by Damned » Post

I tried that, but it made no difference.

Damned

by Damned » Post

I've been having another play with the rail over a private server using build 4.15 with built-in boost carts.
Using a 15x15 grid with a filled 5x5 grid in the center with 8 5x5 areas. Lokks the same when you craft an oven.
1 2 3
8 * 4
7 6 5

Rails run from the center of 1 through 2 to 3 with a 90 degree turn through 4 to 5 and so on. Drops 4 node at positions 2,4,6 and 8, finishing at area 1 16 nodes below starting point. In other words, a circular stairway.

This is what I've observed, compared to 4.14 using boost carts release from Sept/Oct 2016, before the last update?

with 4.14:
2 powered rails at the bottom would be enough to boost the cart to the next level where it would hit the next 2 boosts and so on, resulting in a steady climb
with 4.15
2 powered rails will only get it part way up to the next level before rolling back. 3 will do it sometimes, 4 will do it most of the time, but not always.

Prior to update, using more than 2 powered rails plus the downhill acceleration would result in the cart flying off all the time. However now it doesn't seem to be producing the same effect with more power rails laid. To me, what I believe I'm seeing is 2 things. 1... when the cart loses it position it goes back to where it was, but doesn't remember the speed it was traveling at. 2... It's not always regonising what type of rail it's on.
Example:
After leaving the power rail it's traveling at a speed of 7 losing 1 point of speed every block, after a couple of blocks it loses it's position, it's at speed 5. When it jumps back to the previous position (1 block) it should have a speed of 6 but thinks it only has a speed of 5 so loses another point of speed when it moves ahead.

It could explain the other observation I made yesterday when running on the flat when it suddenly got a much faster boost than previously. If it's on a power rail and it boost the speed to 7, then on the next block loses it's position and goes back one, sees it on a boost rail again and ups the speed to 8

BirgitLachner

by BirgitLachner » Post

I tried to use a Mesecon Switch to start a cart in 0.4.15 but it does not work.

Is it a connection problem? The cable is not connected to the rail as seen in the picture at the threads first page.

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

BirgitLachner wrote:The cable is not connected to the rail as seen in the picture at the threads first page.
Please make sure that you've enabled boost_cart in your world. The rather new carts mod from minetest_game is a modified version that does not offer mesecon support.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

BirgitLachner

by BirgitLachner » Post

Okay ... thats it. I hoped that there were fully inmplemented. Thanks.

mase
In-game: mase

by mase » Post

I have a similar problem to Damned's one. I have a deep mine with a permanent climb rate of 45 degrees.
Even when I place a powered rail every 2 rails, there is not enough power to reach the top.
So it is not possible to transport minerals to the daylight without sitting in the cart and do permanent
punching. And even if this would work, such an amount of powered rails would be too expensive.
Maybe adding a cart with its own drive would be an idea.

Krock
Developer

by Krock » Post

mase wrote:Even when I place a powered rail every 2 rails, there is not enough power to reach the top.
That's something I haven't though about when matching boost_cart's behaviour similar to the MTG (minetest_game) version.
Yesterday I had no time to announce this here. With the most recent commit the speed loss/gain for the Y direction was reduced from 2.5 to 2 (previously 1.8). This means that the carts don't behave the similar way as before and thus may break some newer rollercoasters that base on the higher speed gain while driving downwards.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

redblade7
IRC: redneonglow redblade7
In-game: redblade7 redblade7_owner

by redblade7 » Post

hajo wrote:Are there any maps / demo-tracks with'railroads' or rollercoasters ?

There is a "Winter Wonderland Park & Resort" on Creative Gardens.
-redblade7, admin of: THE CREATIVE GARDENS (creative), THE VALLEYS (sandbox), and THE DIGITAL FARMS (farming/hunger/shops)

amadin

by amadin » Post

I play without mesecon mod and the cart is not moving from the start-stop rail, if cart punch. This is done on purpose? I was hoping to use these start-stop rail at metro (subway) stations for automatic stop and movement of a cart push.
Last edited by amadin on Sun Sep 03, 2017 19:30, edited 1 time in total.

redblade7
IRC: redneonglow redblade7
In-game: redblade7 redblade7_owner

by redblade7 » Post

redblade7 wrote:
hajo wrote:Are there any maps / demo-tracks with'railroads' or rollercoasters ?

There is a "Winter Wonderland Park & Resort" on Creative Gardens.
A few months ago I built "Starlight Railroad" between Marin-Chan Beach, Starlight Farms, and Comic Sans Desert.
-redblade7, admin of: THE CREATIVE GARDENS (creative), THE VALLEYS (sandbox), and THE DIGITAL FARMS (farming/hunger/shops)

mase
In-game: mase

by mase » Post

Hi!
I have built a long even railway circle with a power rail every 10 rails. When I sit in a cart, it runs the whole track without any punching. But when I punch an empty cart, it drives away and never returns. I have to walk towards
the cart until it is in sight again.Then it continues. One time the cart completely disappeared.
Doesn't the cart drive fully autonom even over long distances?

hajo

by hajo » Post

mase wrote:railway circle .. power rail .. empty cart, it drives away and never returns.
I have to walk towards the cart until it is in sight again.Then it continues.
Doesn't the cart drive fully autonom even over long distances?
In Minetest, things only happen where players are 'near'.
That means everything - plants growing, mobs appearing/moving, etc.

For your cart, you should approach it from the other side to catch it.
That is,.get ahead of the cart while staying out its range, so that
it comes driving towards you when you finally go near it.

hajo

by hajo » Post

mase wrote:deep mine .. powered rail .. too expensive.
How about travelnet - the elevators are less expensive then the teleporters.

Also, special chests might help - eg. enderchest from xdecor.

BasicMachines have movers that can be used as teleporters & elevators.

BasicRobots can grab a player and move with him, so you can do cart-like
and elevator-like movement.

Pipeworks might help too, but I don't know it well enough.

BirgitLachner

by BirgitLachner » Post

Concerning running carts without me:
1.) I thing that I heard something about a node that "simulates" that a player is there.
2.) the Advanced Train-Mod has and automatic mode for its trains. I think thats somehting with digilines?

Krock
Developer

by Krock » Post

@BirgitLachner
Minetest automatically unloads blocks (a cube of 16x16x16 nodes) when no player is near to it. You can prevent it like advtrains by forceloading the affected blocks - and unloading after the cart/train has left the area.
Attachable entities which keep the surrounding blocks active using forceload is a great idea. But that's only helpful in a small amount, as too many will slow down the server a lot. I'm not aware of a mod which features them but it's indeed a promising idea.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Anything that is supposed to move while there's no player to watch is difficult to do in current MT. This affects mobs that want to travel from A to B as well (though not your average race-towards-the-player-with-open-arms-to-get-slaughtered-mob). It'd be necessary to be able to calculate where each entity would be right now if it would have been active the whole time. For carts it's even worse. The structure of the tracks would need to be analyzed at least once.

If a mob was unloaded in one mapblock but now thinks he ought to be elsewhere, the mob would probably still flicker into existence, just to disappear quickly afterwards. That might be rather irritating.

And whatever process takes care about who/what is currently where also needs to get notified when a new mapblock becomes active. Something might be moving right through that very area.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Krock
Developer

by Krock » Post

News

Carts now stop smoother due another attempt to prevent the wiggle-effect when stopping the cart.

Lag compensation: the pathfinder will now automatically corrects the position to the calculated value. The maximum distance to correct is yet set to 3 nodes. If you plan to tweak this value for smoother movement for short dtime (lag) peaks, keep in mind that each node more can cause up to 9 node lookups to check whether it is a rail or not.

While testing with a maximal speed of 30 and dedicated_server_step of 0.2, a value of 5 helps to compensate most of the dtime peaks.
If you are using this mod (with the new changes) either in singleplayer or on a server, please give a feedback of how well it works. My local testing with does not output reliable testing results, so I'd be glad if you could report the performance on your system.

EDIT: A pull request for minetest_game will follow as soon I can see that these changes improved the gameplay.

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

I recently tried out boost_cart not expecting any change from the default carts, but it definitely is. I can set the max speed to 100 and the cart moves fine with barely any noticeable lag (unlike the default carts, where I see lag if the speed is set above 7).

First off, I'm wondering why normal rails make my cart accelerate but not the copper rails. Also, I noticed that in creative mode, picking up a cart will give you another one. The last problem I noticed was that when I'm in a cart and then exit the game and reenter, I'm not in the cart anymore. This led to me having to chase after my cart multiple times :-)

In this mod, would it be possible for the carts to hitch together? It probably could be accomplished by making each cart have its own number and a hitch it created between them. The velocity for one cart is also set for the other one(s) hitched to it. Also, is the forceloading going to be implemented any time soon? If it is, then a way to restart carts after they stop would be handy for automated train routes.

Sorry for swamping this post with information.
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

Krock
Developer

by Krock » Post

v-rob wrote:[...] cart moves fine with barely any noticeable lag (unlike the default carts, where I see lag if the speed is set above 7).
Thanks for the comparison on your system. I couldn't find a huge difference while testing here.
v-rob wrote:why normal rails make my cart accelerate but not the copper rails
Well, that shouldn't happen. They don't accelerate the cart, unless they're going downwards.
Are you sure that these are
1) not power rails and
2) weren't power rails before (i.e. replacement using WorldEdit).
If you can reproduce this in a new world, please specify whether there's another carts mod from minetest_game or elsewhere, so I can try to reproduce it.
v-rob wrote:The last problem I noticed was that when I'm in a cart and then exit the game and reenter, I'm not in the cart anymore.
Attachments aren't stored anywhere by the engine - it would have to be done manually, which produces useless data, which isn't worth managing.
v-rob wrote:In this mod, would it be possible for the carts to hitch together?
Also taking off from the rails would be lovely but that breaks the up- and downhill movement.
v-rob wrote:Also, is the forceloading going to be implemented any time soon?
Not planned yet. The railway calculation is already done, which would make this possible but keeping them active means a higher load for the server - exactly what should be prevented.

Note for the pseudo-supermen out there: The bug is caused due a missing player model update after detaching the player from the model. Fixed that on a hackish way now.

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

Well, the normal rails making me accelerate was all my fault. I set the acceleration to 5 on normal rails with the default carts mod while experimenting with it.

I noticed something else: When you are on a slope, the view from the player is weird. You can look at the carts from the outside if you face sideways to the way the cart is moving.

For hitching, I'm not suggesting the physical = true idea. That is glitchy in the first place. It doesn't make the carts actually hitch together. I''m saying that you should make the carts spawn a separate entity between them that makes the two (or more) carts that are hitched together have the same speed.

About forceloading: Are you saying there is actually code that can do this, but it isn't used?
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass