PNG Settings

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

Re: PNG Settings

by TumeniNodes » Post

from what I am seeing, this is a fairly common issue under windows, (not specific to irrlicht)

I think you are getting this common error through irrlicht because your version of irrlicht is one built on windows?

I probably sound stupid because I'm trying to guestimate this issue, I have only ever used windows approx 8 months of my entire computer years.

But I found this, not sure if helpful..., seems close to sofar's answer but seems more tied into libpng (but he is correct imagemagick is your solution, just a diff command to try in the answer in the link
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2212 ... rlaced-png

to answer your question about targeting which files are causing this error, it is basically any alpha textures, including dirt w/ grass sides, because the grass sides texture uses alpha transparency. (as I think morn mentioned?)

And this isn't even specific to the graphics card either, this seems to be (as I stated) a fairly common windows ... issue, and how it handles transparency, explorer 6 had a big issue with this too I guess? At a time when most other browsers did not (go figure)... it's something deep in the binaries of hades/// :D

edit: (btw, if I am making no sense and only inflating the problem, someone kindly let me know? and I will fade off slowly into the backdrop :D )
A Wonderful World

christoferlevich
GitHub: ChristoferL

by christoferlevich » Post

I have a spare PC (Dell 7040, 8gigs ram) I'm turning into Ubuntu as a server. Windows is so very... well... its popular!
everything can be a learning experience...

christoferlevich

I have a spare PC (Dell 7040, 8gigs ram) I'm turning into Ubuntu as a server. Windows is so very... well... its popular!

Morn76

by Morn76 » Post

christoferlevich wrote:I have a spare PC (Dell 7040, 8gigs ram) I'm turning into Ubuntu as a server. Windows is so very... well... its popular!
Ubuntu is the Windows of Linux distros. Impress us all and install Arch Linux instead. ;-)

One advantage that Arch has over Ubuntu is that you are building up from a minimal Linux install, so only packages you really need will be installed. E.g. a C compiler or X server probably are not required on a MT server (and this kind of software is always a security risk on a server of any kind). Ubuntu is a desktop OS, so it probably installs GBs of stuff by default which you don't even need or want.

christoferlevich

Morn76 wrote:
christoferlevich wrote:I have a spare PC (Dell 7040, 8gigs ram) I'm turning into Ubuntu as a server. Windows is so very... well... its popular!
Ubuntu is the Windows of Linux distros. Impress us all and install Arch Linux instead. ;-)

One advantage that Arch has over Ubuntu is that you are building up from a minimal Linux install, so only packages you really need will be installed. E.g. a C compiler or X server probably are not required on a MT server (and this kind of software is always a security risk on a server of any kind). Ubuntu is a desktop OS, so it probably installs GBs of stuff by default which you don't even need or want.
Just "looked" at arch and I have to say, it 'looks' like an ancient BBS. I am going to play with arch for a bit and if I can't get it, I'll try something else... but I will try. Only because I want the cleanest server I can get, right?

Morn76

by Morn76 » Post

christoferlevich wrote: Just "looked" at arch and I have to say, it 'looks' like an ancient BBS. I am going to play with arch for a bit and if I can't get it, I'll try something else... but I will try. Only because I want the cleanest server I can get, right?
Yes, unfortunately Arch has ditched their text mode installer (I think it looked a bit like the FreeBSD installer), so now installation is done via command line. But normally you only have to do it once per machine, as it is a rolling release distro.

You should probably install PkgBrowser from the AUR to get an overview about installed/available packages, package groups, etc.

But other than that, GUI sys admin tools are not really needed on Arch; pacman, makepkg, and perhaps yaourt (for easier installing from the AUR) take care of everything (and they don't spam the terminal with messages like apt-get).

Sample commands:
  • "pacman -S minetest-server" to install MT stable server from the official repo
  • "pacman -Rs minetest-server" to remove MT server (including any orphaned dependencies)
  • "yaourt -S minetest-git-leveldb" to install my MT git PKGBUILD from the AUR
  • "pacman -Syu" to update all packages (excluding AUR)
  • "yaourt -Syua" to update all packages (including AUR)

christoferlevich

TumeniNodes wrote:from what I am seeing, this is a fairly common issue under windows, (not specific to irrlicht)... explorer 6 had a big issue with this too I guess? At a time when most other browsers did not (go figure)... it's something deep in the binaries of hades/// :D
I think you're RIGHT! I remember the Explorer issues! And yes, I see the error (on win 10 machines) even on vanilla fresh installs.

I have been having issues learning the proper way to use imagemagick, but optipng did strip the files of whatever was setting off the errors. Now the issue is going to be using install packages that I've cleaned up or deal with the error, I guess.

christoferlevich

Just an update... still playing with Linux but I used optipng to get rid of almost all errors. Still had a few but found them in the default images... well - sort of. I made a beginner's mistake when I initially started messing around with MT and I changed the default wool images to create blocks I now know how to make modding. Those files had errors, but I had forgotten I modified them. I'm confessing this to help the next 'yahoo' who comes along like me and thinks its a good idea to mess with default images. LOL. Don't do it.

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

christoferlevich wrote:Just an update... still playing with Linux but I used optipng to get rid of almost all errors. Still had a few but found them in the default images... well - sort of. I made a beginner's mistake when I initially started messing around with MT and I changed the default wool images to create blocks I now know how to make modding. Those files had errors, but I had forgotten I modified them. I'm confessing this to help the next 'yahoo' who comes along like me and thinks its a good idea to mess with default images. LOL. Don't do it.
:D
Always best to simply leave default "default" and replace images via a texture pack (which does not mean one needs to do every single texture, just do what you like, and default images will kick in and cover the rest.
Or, create a mod and use the override function
Or, there are even other methods.

But I learned early on as you... don't mess with default images, straight up within the default directories themselves. :P

These "errors" are not actually "errors" either, they are simply a heads up. If the game still builds and loads fine, there are no actual "errors"

And I am still dedicated to my thought that those heads up you were/are getting are due to the way in which Windows handles or copes with libpng : )

All in all, glad you've been able to make some headway. "Keep on truckin'" (Willy Wonka
A Wonderful World

christoferlevich

The matter comes down to learning on the fly. Right now, I am seeing our 'world' loading after about 30-60 seconds, while worlds on the minetest internet server load in 15-30 seconds. I think I need to trim down the number of mods I loaded. Still, 6 weeks ago when we started, it could take up to 2 minutes to load, and I had difficulties with more than 15 players at a time. Now we rarely have issues with the number of players and it is 'faster'. LOL.

Additionally, dozens of kids are using minetest at home now, which thrills me to see as many of them can't afford minecraft and they are being introduced to the open source world. (Teaching them GIMP as well. Blender was a bit too much.)

captpete

by captpete » Post

sofar wrote:
Morn76 wrote:
christoferlevich wrote: No need to install Python. Just ImageMagick and a shell already is enough:

Code: Select all

find . -type f -name '*.png' -print0 | xargs mogrify -strip
I get this error running bash (interactive) on a directory of pngs:
xargs: WARNING: a NUL character occurred in the input. It cannot be passed through in the argument list. Did you mean to use the --null option?

So script should be:

find . -type f -name '*.png' -print0 | xargs -0 mogrify -strip

sofar
Developer
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

by sofar » Post

Things you can do to improve game loading (random grab bag of tips):

- sounds and music are a lot larger than most textures, so focus on those first
- remove unused sounds, excess music tracks
- make sure all sounds that are not ambiance music are mono
- reduce sounds to 44khz or 22khz (if quality permits!), cut the lead/tail ends, etc. to reduce the size
- avoid HDX textures and stick to 16px
- reuse textures as much as possible *within* the game using texture modifiers (the `[` stuff)
- use coloring if possible
- proper UV mapping so you can reuse textures in objects again
- optipng AND mogrify -strip PNGs

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

Is it related to the error which looks like that?

2017-08-09 18:05:12: WARNING[Main]: Irrlicht: PNG warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
2017-08-09 18:05:12: WARNING[Main]: Irrlicht: PNG warning: iCCP: cHRM chunk does not match sRGB
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

christoferlevich

azekill_DIABLO wrote:Is it related to the error which looks like that?

2017-08-09 18:05:12: WARNING[Main]: Irrlicht: PNG warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
2017-08-09 18:05:12: WARNING[Main]: Irrlicht: PNG warning: iCCP: cHRM chunk does not match sRGB
I get those a lot - particularly if I haven't optimized the png

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

i happens a lot idk why.
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

snoopy

by snoopy » Post

Morn76 wrote:
Napiophelios wrote:I put all my texture thru OptiPNG and haven't had any PNG errors since.
The visuals don't seem to have suffered any that I can tell.
Took less than a minute for all default Minetest Game images.
OK, I've tried this with OptiPNG. While file sizes came down slightly, the broken color profiles remained intact (on default settings).

Then I tried "optipng -strip all" and that seems to have done the trick.
Maybe you could try to even optimize by use of optipng -o2 -strip all and may have a look for further information at: Hope this helps.

puzzlecube
GitHub: puzzlecube
IRC: puzzlecube
In-game: puzzlecube KluppingOnion

by puzzlecube » Post

Wow I am glad I found this post! I've been ignoring those annoying bloat messages ever since I first abandoned Win10 and installed a Linux distro and ran Minetest with the command line open. I doubt it is related specifically to Windows though since it is consistently happening on my laptop which is running Debian 10 with an infusion of Kali. Can't remember right now if I saw those on Windows and Elementary OS Loki though (had that just as my intro distro before I added too many PPAs and ditched it) but I think I did. I am going to try the optipng thing right now! Good luck with the Arch server setup!
Would you believe this came from an autistic guy with low vision? Believe it.
Check this out![url]https:github.com/puzzlecube[/url]
I also make models for 3d printing!

snoopy

by snoopy » Post

Have a look at Strip metadata from PNG `mods/default` textures at GitHub to the MT game.