[Mod] Dynamic liquids [dynamic_liquid]

FaceDeer
GitHub: FaceDeer

[Mod] Dynamic liquids [dynamic_liquid]

by FaceDeer » Post

This mod implements a simple approach to making the various liquid node types (water, lava) behave in a more realistic manner. In a nutshell, it sets an Active Block Modifier running for liquid nodes that implements the following behavior:
  • If there is a "flowing" or air node below a "source" liquid block, swap the liquid block with the node below it (ie, the liquid drops)
  • Else swap with a random flowing or air node beside it.
This causes "source" blocks for liquids to randomly shuffle around when they don't completely fill a horizontal layer, and causes them to drain rapidly down holes or flow rapidly down hillsides. Normal "flowing" behaviour is unchanged so even though this mod is just moving cubes around the surface of the water looks reasonably smooth. The ABM only runs for blocks that are adjacent to flowing nodes and does very few calculations so it's also reasonably lightweight - I'm essentially borrowing the engine's built-in liquid flow detection to determine when my own code needs to run.

Each type of liquid can have this behaviour enabled independently of each other. By default lava is configured to flow more slowly than water, but this can be changed in the mod's settings.

Damp Clay Counters Ocean Loss

If basic water is set as dynamic, it loses its "renewability" - water nodes don't replicate like they normally do. If you are concerned about the global water level dropping over time as water pours down into undersea caverns, or just generally don't like the idea of water being a finite resource (even with an ocean's worth to start with), this mod includes an optional feature that turns natural clay deposits into "springs". Clay deposits get an Active Block Modifier that checks if there's air or shallow water above them and refills them with newly spawned water source blocks.

If this clay is dug out by players and reconstituted into clay blocks elsewhere, the "spring" behaviour won't occur for these - it only happens for clay spawned by mapgen while this feature is enabled. (In technical terms, when clay springs are enabled the map generator replaces generated clay with an otherwise identical "damp clay" node type that drops regular clay when dug. The ABM only affects this "damp clay" node type.)

There's also a "spring" block that's available only via the creative menu or /give command. This block has an ABM that ensures there's always a single block of water generated directly above it, regardless of where the block is placed.

Note that other than this clay spring feature and the override of water's "renewability" this mod doesn't affect any default node definitions, so any other mods dealing with liquids should still function as they did before. If you disable any of the liquid types they will just "freeze" in whatever position they were in at the time.

"Flow-through" Blocks

There are many blocks in the game that one would think should not serve as an impenetrable barrier to water flow, but which do. For example: metal bars, grass, leaves. The "flow-through" feature of this mod makes them permeable, allowing water_source and lava_source blocks to "teleport" from one side of a flow-through block to the other. Liquid source blocks will only teleport through a single layer of flow-through node and only in the cardinal directions.

Other mods can mark blocks as flow-through by adding them to the "flow_through" group.

Lava/Water Interaction

Due to the way default lava/water interaction works a single block of lava_source would be able to wander endlessly around on the surface of the ocean turning the uppermost layer of water into stone. Similarly, a single block of water_source could wander around on the surface of a lava pool turning the uppermost layer into obsidian. This is an undesirable outcome so the dynamic_liquid mod includes a more sophisticated replacement to the default lava-cooling ABM.

lava_flowing nodes are now eliminated entirely by nodes marked cools_lava, they do not leave behind default:stone. This means that infinite stone generation is no longer possible using arrangements of lava and water.

lava_source nodes are turned into obsidian only by water_source nodes; water_flowing nodes are eliminated by lava_source nodes without affecting them. The water_source node is destroyed in the process. This means that if you want to cool a large amount of lava you're going to need a correspondingly large amount of water.

For modders, you can now fine-tune the effects of blocks on lava (and vice versa) using the following groups:
  • "group:dynamic_cools_lava_flowing" - causes lava_flowing nodes to vanish. The old "group:cools_lava" has this effect.
  • "group:dynamic_lava_flowing_destroys" - causes lava_flowing nodes to destroy nodes belonging to this group.
  • "group:dynamic_cools_lava_source" - causes lava_source nodes to turn into obsidian. The old "group:cools_lava" does *not* have this effect.
  • "group:dynamic_lava_source_destroys" - causes lava_source nodes to destroy nodes belonging to this group.
License: MIT
Mod dependencies: default (optional, but dynamic_liquid is only useful as a mod API if default isn't present)

Download

GitHub
Download
  • Version 0.1 - initial release
  • Version 0.2 - made springs generate water more vigorously, especially in deep ocean
  • Version 0.3 - significantly boosted speed of horizontal flow
  • Version 0.4 - added a "spring" block only available in creative inventory or via /give
  • Version 0.5 - exposed the liquid_abm method as an API for other mods to make use of for new liquid types
  • Version 0.6 - added the "flow-through" feature, allowing dynamic liquids to teleport through certain nodes
  • Version 0.7 - added mapgen "pre-fill" feature to reduce ocean whirlpools over caves
  • Version 0.8 - added new lava/water interaction ABMs
Last edited by FaceDeer on Sun Jun 03, 2018 18:00, edited 4 times in total.

Swablu
GitHub: LHolten
In-game: hytak

Re: [Mod] Dynamic liquids [0.5] [dynamic_liquid]

by Swablu » Post

Realy nice mod!
It is just perfect :)

TheReaperKing

by TheReaperKing » Post

Super interesting, I love the ideas of the springs! Makes it so much more realistic.
Become A Real Life Superhero - http://SuperheroHill.com
Project Lead of the Doom 3 Mod Last Man Standing - http://Doom3Coop.com
Project Lead of Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker - http://SandboxGameMaker.com
Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/PlatinumArtsKids

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

Thanks. :) I've been finding cave exploration to be more fun now that coming up under an ocean causes the cave to flood all the way down, and underground pools of water and lava look a lot nicer now that they can smooth themselves out to fit the chambers they're in.

Let me know if there are any tweaks or additional features you can think of. I'm thinking this mod is basically "done" but an outside view might spot holes I missed. Can't guarantee that I'll add anything requested, of course - this mod required a lot of optimization of the code to get it running reasonably smoothly. Still gets a bit sluggish for me in some situations.

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

looks neat! but is it laggy? can you show effects in a video please?
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

azekill_DIABLO wrote:looks neat! but is it laggy? can you show effects in a video please?
It's a bit laggy when a large amount of water is on the move, such as when you discover a new cave on the ocean floor and a surge of water falls down into it. But it's a transient situation that clears up once the water settles into the new configuration, I haven't noticed significant lag from water just sloshing around on the surface. I added settings for the mod to allow users to slow the ABM down if they want to trade off the lag for more sluggish water movement.

I'll have to dig up some video-making tools, never tried doing that before.

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

cool!
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

Preston

by Preston » Post

Interesting mod, but users should beware of this mod if you are using the Nuclear Reactor (Technic Mod), the fluctuating water levels caused my reactors in several towns to go into meltdown. (ymmv).
lots of rebuilding to do now....lol.

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

Preston wrote:Interesting mod, but users should beware of this mod if you are using the Nuclear Reactor (Technic Mod), the fluctuating water levels caused my reactors in several towns to go into meltdown. (ymmv).
lots of rebuilding to do now....lol.
Well, you did just change the fundamental laws of fluid dynamics in your universe. Tampering with the laws of physics can cause nuclear reactions to behave unexpectedly. :)

One of my upcoming planned mods is going to be a barrel for transporting large amounts of liquids around in, hopefully that will make it easier to create artificial ponds without requiring billions of buckets.

Unrelated question: Has anyone tried out this mod with a Valleys map? It seems to me that the rivers generated by Valleys get a bit messed up when the water in them can flow freely downhill and out into the regular-water ocean. I'm thinking I should have river water flow disabled by default.

Swablu
GitHub: LHolten
In-game: hytak

by Swablu » Post

FaceDeer wrote:Unrelated question: Has anyone tried out this mod with a Valleys map? It seems to me that the rivers generated by Valleys get a bit messed up when the water in them can flow freely downhill and out into the regular-water ocean. I'm thinking I should have river water flow disabled by default.
Haven't tried it, but
Maybe use your springs at the beginning of each stream to spawn river water, and then remove the river water when it hits regular water.
That way the rivers won't flow out of water.
Only problem would be placing the springs. And of course the maximum abm distance messing up everything.

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

Swablu wrote: Only problem would be placing the springs. And of course the maximum abm distance messing up everything.
Those "only problems" are kind of doozies. :) There's no well-defined beginning or ending points for streams in the Valleys mapgen as far as I can see, they just get draped over the landscape in a random squiggle (the stream I followed just now went in a circle). I was able to add ocean-replenishment springs because the default mapgen puts clay deposits exactly where I wanted there to be springs but I don't see anything like that that I can hijack for valleys streams.

Yeah, I think I'm going to disable river water dynamicism by default, that seems safest now. It's a user setting that's easy to re-enable if a user wants to, but it forces them to actually think about enabling it. Otherwise I think there's too much opportunity here for an inattentive world-runner to accidentally mess up their valley streams in a way that's hard to recover from.

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

It's too bad a way does not exist to add a second liquids group, and attach them to similar height settings as landscape parameters.
It's hard for me to explain my thinking of this as I am not as knowledgeable as others here regarding mapgen matters.

The best I can explain this is, we have a water level = setting in maps for liquids but, lava can be set to it's own levels, correct?
I am wondering why something such as "lake water" could not be introduced, and give it it's own generation height settings, such as lava uses?
This way, lakes could be generated above the existing water level (up inside of bowl shaped areas in mountains) and if there were some way to set river water, or even stream water to the water level height, it would cause that water type to move downward to reach the set water level?

I do know that one of the biggest hurdles setting streams and or rivers to operate/function properly, is creating the parameters to generate paths for such liquids to follow, and a gravitational function? (if I understand the topic correctly)

Often I will seek out bowled out areas in mountains like this, and fill them with water, and then start digging out a path, and simply place water wherever the flow begins to dissipate, to create lakes with streams running off of them.
But ideally, this would be handled via map generation, which is currently not available.

With this ideology, springs might operate in the same way... starting in caves up in mountains or any higher elevation than water level, periodically pooling up in smaller bowled shaped areas, to create larger streams as it goes along on it's way down toward the set water level.

I do however, believe strongly that between the talents and skills of paramat, hmmm, and Gael de Sailly, and now more than likely you, these matters will eventually get sorted out : )
A Wonderful World

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

TumeniNodes wrote: I am wondering why something such as "lake water" could not be introduced, and give it it's own generation height settings, such as lava uses?
This way, lakes could be generated above the existing water level (up inside of bowl shaped areas in mountains) and if there were some way to set river water, or even stream water to the water level height, it would cause that water type to move downward to reach the set water level?
I actually could add the ability to set an altitude threshold for the ABM in this mod to prevent it from causing liquid to flow above a certain height, that would be straightforward to code. So you could place water source blocks above sea level in whatever configuration you want and it'd stay like that, but below sea level it'd move around dynamically. Would that be useful? I wouldn't be able to leave water with its "self-replicating" property above that line, though, that part is all-or-nothing. And I'd want to have this be an off-by-default feature since I think having water behave differently based purely on its physical coordinates is kind of counterintuitive and ick. :)

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

Oh yeh, water is definitely not fun if not managed correctly :P I've had many things get out of hand setting a small spreading fire in a forest and then panicking to fly around setting water atop trees to put it out... (which seems to make the fire spread more, and faster... rather comical actually, I'm sure, to see a grown man panicking because things got out of hand, and then the solution gets out of hand in a whole other direction as well :P )

So, I just had to go back and re-read through your original post, because I feel I completely misunderstood the goals here.
It seems you basically want to do the complete opposite of what I'm blabbering about :P My apologies for that.

This seems to be more about controlling water regeneration and flowing?
A Wonderful World

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

TumeniNodes wrote: So, I just had to go back and re-read through your original post, because I feel I completely misunderstood the goals here.
It seems you basically want to do the complete opposite of what I'm blabbering about :P My apologies for that.

This seems to be more about controlling water regeneration and flowing?
No problem. It's a bit of an abstract mod, without as clearly defined a purpose as a new tool or block type. :)

The purpose of this mod, as I see it, is to remove the static quality of liquids in Minetest. In base Minetest liquids don't really flow, they just fake it by generating transient "flowing" nodes next to fixed "source" blocks. You can make a wall out of water blocks and they'll just stay where they were put, you can dig a tunnel up into the underside of an ocean and the tunnel won't flood (beyond the first few meters where the fake flow is generated).

I've always found this to be unrealistic and unsatisfying. If my tunnel breaches the ocean I should panic about that and have to hurriedly patch the hole before the whole thing floods and I drown. If I find a pool and want to drain it I should be able to do that by digging a hole to drain it through, rather than having to fill the entire pool with dirt and then dig the dirt away (I wouldn't even be able to bail it out with buckets since water regenerates in the base game).

I don't really consider this a mapgen mod because the purpose isn't to change the layout and appearance of the world as it initially exists. The ocean is still the ocean, just as it was before. I want to change how the ocean behaves over time in response to player actions.

I could see this being useful as a landscaping tool though. If you've dug out a lake and want to fill it with water you could use world edit to make a big blob of water in the center and then temporarily enable the dynamic liquid mod to let the water flow into the basin you've prepared for it. Once it's settled where you like it, deactivate the mod again and the water will freeze in place.

gpcf
GitHub: gpcf
In-game: gabriel

by gpcf » Post

This should be integrated with the pipeworks pumps. That would be incredibly cool

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

gpcf wrote:This should be integrated with the pipeworks pumps. That would be incredibly cool
I definitely want to take a look into that at some point. The current interaction between this mod and pipeworks is a bit disappointing, pipeworks generates one water source block at the faucet and then assumes the water block will stay there so it does nothing more.

I've fallen down rabbit holes in the past when trying to do compatibility edits between mods, though, so I'm not planning on diving straight into solving that just yet. Got a few other smaller mods I'm working on first. :)

lightseer

by lightseer » Post

I use this mod and like it very much. Since it is a lua mod and not part of the core, the water is only affected within the vicinity of the player. If you dig a long trench the water will begin to fill it, but you have to stay nearby if you want the level to rise all the way up. This has strategic implications to be aware of. Its much better than walls of water, a real improvement.

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

lightseer wrote:I use this mod and like it very much. Since it is a lua mod and not part of the core, the water is only affected within the vicinity of the player. If you dig a long trench the water will begin to fill it, but you have to stay nearby if you want the level to rise all the way up. This has strategic implications to be aware of. Its much better than walls of water, a real improvement.
It's not perfect but you can boost the region of "active" map by going to "Settings" -> "Advanced Settings" -> "Server / Singleplayer" -> "Game" and boosting the "Active block range" setting to a higher number. I've been running singleplayer with an active block range of 3 and it has made the liquid landscape a lot smoother without a particularly noticeable increase in lag.

Take care when increasing that setting on a multiplayer server, of course. If there's lots of players scattered around a server who are all enjoying waterfalls and whirlpools simultaneously it could lead to a fair bit of computational load.

lightseer

by lightseer » Post

FaceDeer wrote:
lightseer wrote:I use this mod and like it very much. Since it is a lua mod and not part of the core, the water is only affected within the vicinity of the player. If you dig a long trench the water will begin to fill it, but you have to stay nearby if you want the level to rise all the way up. This has strategic implications to be aware of. Its much better than walls of water, a real improvement.
It's not perfect but you can boost the region of "active" map by going to "Settings" -> "Advanced Settings" -> "Server / Singleplayer" -> "Game" and boosting the "Active block range" setting to a higher number. I've been running singleplayer with an active block range of 3 and it has made the liquid landscape a lot smoother without a particularly noticeable increase in lag.

Take care when increasing that setting on a multiplayer server, of course. If there's lots of players scattered around a server who are all enjoying waterfalls and whirlpools simultaneously it could lead to a fair bit of computational load.
Thanks!

FaceDeer

Re: [Mod] Dynamic liquids [0.6] [dynamic_liquid]

by FaceDeer » Post

Just added a new feature: "flow-through." When this is enabled dynamic liquids will be able to teleport through certain nodes that it makes sense for them to be able to get through. So a sprig of grass will no longer act as an impenetrable dam and you can use iron bars as a "vent cover" that liquids can flow through but other stuff can't.

Note that this doesn't allow the normal flowing liquid effect to pass through these nodes, that's an engine limitation. It just means that the source nodes that this mod shuffles around randomly can now shuffle to the other sides of those nodes. It also only has a range of one node, so for example a two-layer-thick fence would still be water-impermeable.

Also, I wasn't able to add the ability for liquids to flow through open doors/trapdoors but not closed ones. Something I'll ponder some more in the future, it'd be really nice to come up with a system for that.

Other mods can make nodes flow-through by adding the "flow_through" group to them (or one of the other groups that dynamic_liquid makes flow-through: leaves, sapling, grass, dry_grass, flora, rail, flower.)

FaceDeer

Re: [Mod] Dynamic liquids [0.7] [dynamic_liquid]

by FaceDeer » Post

Added a minor new feature; mapgen "pre-fill". When a map chunk is generated this mod will look for air in a column underneath water and will replace that air with more water. The purpose of this feature is to reduce the severity of the whirlpools that form over freshly-discovered underwater caves. It's a fairly simple algorithm that doesn't try to be thorough so there will still be an initial draining effect for most newly discovered caves but it does seem to be a significant improvement on the situation from the testing I've done.

This feature only triggers for water that's below sea level, so floatland pools won't try generating columns of water under them if there's a hole in the land. It can be disabled in the advanced settings for the mod. I didn't add a similar feature for lava since lava usually comes in smaller doses where the initial collapse of hanging nodes doesn't cause as much trouble.

FaceDeer

Re: [Mod] Dynamic liquids [0.8] [dynamic_liquid]

by FaceDeer » Post

Added a significant new feature: a complete reworking of lava/water interaction.

Due to the way default lava/water interaction works a single block of lava_source would be able to wander endlessly around on the surface of the ocean turning the uppermost layer of water into stone. Similarly, a single block of water_source could wander around on the surface of a lava pool turning the uppermost layer into obsidian. This is an undesirable outcome so the dynamic_liquid mod includes a more sophisticated replacement to the default lava-cooling ABM.

lava_flowing nodes are now eliminated entirely by nodes marked cools_lava, they do not leave behind default:stone. This means that infinite stone generation is no longer possible using arrangements of lava and water.

lava_source nodes are turned into obsidian only by water_source nodes; water_flowing nodes are eliminated by lava_source nodes without affecting them. The water_source node is destroyed in the process. This means that if you want to cool a large amount of lava you're going to need a correspondingly large amount of water.

For modders, you can now fine-tune the effects of blocks on lava (and vice versa) using the following groups:
  • "group:dynamic_cools_lava_flowing" - causes lava_flowing nodes to vanish. The old "group:cools_lava" has this effect.
  • "group:dynamic_lava_flowing_destroys" - causes lava_flowing nodes to destroy nodes belonging to this group.
  • "group:dynamic_cools_lava_source" - causes lava_source nodes to turn into obsidian. The old "group:cools_lava" does *not* have this effect.
  • "group:dynamic_lava_source_destroys" - causes lava_source nodes to destroy nodes belonging to this group.
This new behaviour can be disabled in the mod's settings under "Advanced Settings".

Lord_Vlad

by Lord_Vlad » Post

Just a thought : moving water source while also allowing them to flow is a bit.... too much. With one water source, it's even easier to flood a whole mountain.

I'd like to disable liquid flowing (source nodes creating non-source nodes) or restrict it. How would I go doing so ? Any chance that ever gets in the mod ?

Also... I'd really like a function to speed up things. either a command or an craftable item that would like, make each source path-find and teleport to the lowest point it can already reach. Or maybe just make the source movements really fast. A pool of lava draining into a cave below can take tens of hours, it shouldn't.

Also can we add liquids added by mod to the list of liquids that are affected by this ? If yes how ?

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

Lord_Vlad wrote:Just a thought : moving water source while also allowing them to flow is a bit.... too much. With one water source, it's even easier to flood a whole mountain.

I'd like to disable liquid flowing (source nodes creating non-source nodes) or restrict it. How would I go doing so ? Any chance that ever gets in the mod ?
check out this quick, weird mod I threw together, it has a water source node with flowing disabled
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17885&hilit=bizzaro
that should help you out a little
A Wonderful World