[modpack] Ambiance Sounds [ambianceplus][wip]

burli

Re: [modpack] Ambience Sounds [ambienceplus][wip]

by burli » Post

I'm currently reworking my ambience mod to make it more stable and add new features and sounds

Diamond knight
GitHub: Diamondknight
In-game: Ferrumprinceps

by Diamond knight » Post

Finally a better ambience mod, I have been using a modified copy of minetest-ambience for ages. It was kind of annoying hearing birds in a stone wasteland ( you should add ambience for that (wind) ) and it would be cool if you could make "extra downloads" (so the mtg download does not get too big) of support for many mods (scifi_nodes, marssurvive, moonrealm, cityscape, streets mod, etc) it would also be cool for a sound player block that has music disks for every minetest game sound and sounds from this mod and music from this mod, make too many run on sentences.

A little birdy told me I was going to make an epic fork of the 30 biomes mod so be prepared to add support (it is going to use pedology mod, going to replace default stone like I'm mineralology mod for minecraft and make the biomes orderly placed by tempature (you spawn at the "equator" and the edges of the maps are the "poles") and there will be overheating and freezing and realistic mineral deposits and new plants and maybe new trees, there will be new ores and new soils and grasses, there will be playereffects support and new "wet" and "on fire" status effects and more...)

burli

by burli » Post

Diamond knight wrote:It was kind of annoying hearing birds in a stone wasteland ( you should add ambience for that (wind) )
It's hard to make an ambiance mod in Minetest. I use ABMs, which works well for trees, but is useless in grasslands because there are no unique nodes.

Diamond knight

by Diamond knight » Post

maybe use biome overrides?

burli

by burli » Post

Diamond knight wrote:maybe use biome overrides?
The ambiance mod should work for any default mapgen, as far as possible. So no modification to the defaults

ektor
IRC: dtarcz
In-game: ektor

Re: [modpack] Ambiance Sounds [ambianceplus][wip]

by ektor » Post

Hi, i go on github, and can't see your code, only a LICENSE and the README.md :)
What happens with your last commit 14h ago and push ?
Vive Minetest!

burli

by burli » Post

It is a new repo and I didn't upload the code yet. You can find the old repo on my github accounts. It is called ambiEnce instead of ambiance. Was a typo

New code follows asap

burli

by burli » Post

Since my mod is a modpack I start with the forest mod. Currently I use the same samples for Deciduous forest and coniferous forest, but I want to have different samples for coniferous forest and snowy coniferous forest.

I only add one sample for each area and for day and night. Feel free to add as much as you want. Follow the rules in the first post

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

What you have achieved here is a milestone not only for mods, but for Minetest itself. The developers of this game, Neuromancer, and VanessaE should, I hope, feel the same way.

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

Inocudom wrote:What you have achieved here is a milestone not only for mods, but for Minetest itself. The developers of this game, Neuromancer, and VanessaE should, I hope, feel the same way.
Now I really have to try it.

burli

by burli » Post

You can have a preview of my latest update

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sekjVZp_ik

texmex

by texmex » Post

Great work! I'd probably reduce gain a bit but this is of course awesome regardless.

Diamond knight

by Diamond knight » Post

Idea: to distinguish biomes better maybe you can start checking for the absence of some nodes

burli

by burli » Post

Diamond knight wrote:Idea: to distinguish biomes better maybe you can start checking for the absence of some nodes
I had this idea too, but I think this is not very reliable. I hope, paramat adds a "biome at point" function soon.

Until then I will work on the parts that don't need this Function like the forests and, what I want to do next, the caves

BrunoMine
GitHub: BrunoMine

by BrunoMine » Post

This is a fantastic modpack. I look forward to it running on servers. I'll be working together to do this.

burli

by burli » Post

Add some cave ambiance. But I need more "spooky" sounds ;-)

https://youtu.be/F3gFGSrm_1g

texmex

by texmex » Post

burli wrote:Add some cave ambiance. But I need more "spooky" sounds ;-)

https://youtu.be/F3gFGSrm_1g
Sounds great! I think the windy sound could be replaced with a low-pitch humming sound, because although wind may exist in caves it's more associated with, say, highlands.

burli

by burli » Post

You're right. The problem is, that sounds sound different in Minetest. It sounds more spooky if I play it on the desktop

burli

by burli » Post

Add sounds for lava, sand, desert_sand and silver_sand.

For the deserts I currently added a simple whistling wind. No difference at day/night and no extra sounds like a howling wolf

texmex

by texmex » Post

burli wrote:You're right. The problem is, that sounds sound different in Minetest. It sounds more spooky if I play it on the desktop
Have you checked for audio encoding specs in MT and/or Irrlicht documentation? It could be the issue.

burli

by burli » Post

The original sounds in Minetest are odd. I decided to replace them. But it is difficult to find good samples or make them myself. So I searched for Minecraft sounds that can be used.

I found the Presence Footsteps Mod. But I don't want to ship the samples because I don't know yet which licence is used. I will make a mod that converts the samples at the first start, but you will have to download them yourself, similar to the texture pack converter for Minecraft Textures.

Here are some examples

https://youtu.be/3K53cqqAbgU

I'm not sure if I can make a mod for this because maybe I have to convert the files somehow. If it is not possible I may make a Python Script

Suggestions are welcome

burli

by burli » Post

I guess I will rewrite my ambiance mod. I'm a bit surprised about the execution time.

But I have a new idea

Code: Select all

Values below show absolute/relative times spend per server step by the instrumented function.
A total of 75732 samples were taken

instrumentation                                         |    min µs |    max µs |    avg µs | min % | max % | avg %
-------------------------------------------------------- | --------- | --------- | --------- | ----- | ----- | ------
 ambplus_forests:                                        |         0 |      1329 |         0 |   0.0 |  98.9 |   0.1
  - ABM[1] ............................................  |       359 |      1329 |       546 |   2.7 |  98.9 |  71.7
 flowers:                                                |         0 |      8198 |         6 |   0.0 |  99.8 |   0.2
  - ABM 'Mushroom spread' .............................  |         6 |        53 |        14 |   0.0 |  68.1 |  21.4
  - ABM 'Flower spread' ...............................  |       143 |      8198 |      2457 |   1.3 |  99.8 |  73.8
 ambplus_caves:                                          |         0 |     18875 |        82 |   0.0 |  99.9 |   0.7
  - ABM 'cave dripping' ...............................  |     12569 |     18875 |     13858 |  64.4 |  99.9 |  97.5
  - ABM 'cave ambiance' ...............................  |     12586 |     17576 |     13737 |  69.6 |  99.9 |  98.4
  - ABM 'cave water' ..................................  |        12 |       100 |        38 |   0.1 |  85.5 |  47.5
 ambplus_jungle:                                         |         0 |        76 |         0 |   0.0 |  76.8 |   0.1
  - ABM[1] ............................................  |         4 |        76 |        24 |   0.0 |  76.8 |  35.8
 nyancat:                                                |         0 |       166 |         0 |   0.0 |  90.7 |   0.0
  - on_generated[1] ...................................  |         1 |       166 |        17 |   4.5 |  90.7 |  36.4
 ambplus_ocean:                                          |         0 |       192 |         0 |   0.0 |  77.6 |   0.1
  - ABM[1] ............................................  |         5 |       192 |        22 |   0.0 |  77.6 |  22.9
 fire:                                                   |         0 |       656 |         4 |   0.0 |  96.9 |   5.5
  - globalstep[1] .....................................  |         1 |       656 |         4 |   0.0 |  96.9 |   6.5
 default:                                                |         5 |      2620 |        23 |   0.1 | 100.0 |  93.3
  - globalstep[1] .....................................  |         5 |      2620 |        19 |   0.1 | 100.0 |  92.6
  - ABM 'Grass spread' ................................  |        50 |       270 |        99 |   0.5 |  93.0 |  66.9
  - ABM 'Grass covered' ...............................  |       453 |      1842 |       631 |   3.7 |  98.9 |  73.5
-------------------------------------------------------- | --------- | --------- | --------- | ----- | ----- | ------
 total:                                                  |         5 |     22098 |       117 | 100.0 | 100.0 | 100.0

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

When i installed the mod i was getting a error:

Lua:Runtime error from mod 'ambplus_caves' in callback LuaABM::trigger(): ...rator/.minetest/mods/ambianceplus/ambplus_caves/init.lua:21: attempt to index local 'ppos' (a nil value) stack traceback:
 ...rator/.minetest/mods/ambianceplus/ambplus_caves/init.lua:21: in function <.
 ...rator/.minetest/mods/ambianceplus/ambplus_caves/init.lua:10>

burli

by burli » Post

Andrey01 wrote:When i installed the mod i was getting a error:

Lua:Runtime error from mod 'ambplus_caves' in callback LuaABM::trigger(): ...rator/.minetest/mods/ambianceplus/ambplus_caves/init.lua:21: attempt to index local 'ppos' (a nil value) stack traceback:
 ...rator/.minetest/mods/ambianceplus/ambplus_caves/init.lua:21: in function <.
 ...rator/.minetest/mods/ambianceplus/ambplus_caves/init.lua:10>
Doesn't really makes sense. There should always be a player. Maybe try this for a quick fix. Have not much time to take a closer look

if ppos.y > 0 or not ppos then
Tell me if the same error appears then in other mods

texmex

by texmex » Post

Hello. I use ambianceplus on a small server and irregularly experience it crashing the server after a player have left.

2017-04-18 20:24:56: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: Lua: Runtime error from mod 'ambplus_caves' in callback LuaABM::trigger(): ...etest/.minetest/mods/ambianceplus/ambplus_caves/init.lua:21: attempt to index local 'ppos' (a nil value)
2017-04-18 20:24:56: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2017-04-18 20:24:56: ERROR[Main]: 	...etest/.minetest/mods/ambianceplus/ambplus_caves/init.lua:21: in function <...etest/.minetest/mods/ambianceplus/ambplus_caves/init.lua:10>
I like the mod and would like to see it going forward =)