[discussion] how can the forums be improved?

Sergey

Re: [discussion] how can the forums be improved?

by Sergey » Post

ABJ wrote:The fact remains that you said admin must ban him. Can you clarify this?
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16664&start=25

Sergey

by Sergey » Post

Make ability to delete post. At least, if it is last in discussion and noboby replied to it.

Sergey

by Sergey » Post

User DewayneKit is massive spamer. Remove his posts. Searching for all his posts and pressing report button is too tiring.

Sergey

by Sergey » Post

Situation with spamming happens periodic.

In order to reduce such things I recommend (if it is possible) to use algorithm for checking password simplicity/complexity while filling registration form.

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

my favorite forum software simple machines
A Wonderful World

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

texmex wrote:phpBB was written in the year 2000 and with the online discussion design paradigms of that time.
And it is coded like that and behaves like that. phpBB has anything modern forum software should avoid.

Sergey

by Sergey » Post

I hide all signatures for myself.

Listen folks,
  • I am tired to scroll down posts where 1/2 of whole page are useless signatures.
  • I am tired of reading something like "God's not dead!" in every second signature. Are religious people obliged to repeat the same mantra?

ABJ
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

by ABJ » Post

Sergey, be careful, it might just be yet another undecipherable reference.

Sergey

by Sergey » Post

ABJ wrote:Sergey, be careful, it might just be yet another undecipherable reference.
What do you mean?

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

I belive the answer to the topic question is by migrating to modern forum software first and foremost. Other smaller issues may then get resolved. That means admins need to get involved, or nothing will change.

I for one would like to hear ShadowNinja's opinion.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

texmex wrote:I for one would like to hear ShadowNinja's opinion.
celeron55 is the person who will ultimately decide this. ShadowNinja is just an admin in case c55 isn't available.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

Well, the admin c55 then.

Nyarg

by Nyarg » Post

add chat on form top ) and if keep following of data aggregation idea an echo of minetest IRC may be usefull.
I am a noob. still yet. Not so noob ) [vml] WIP and a little proof for fun PlantedTorch )))
MT Strike 78a36b468554d101e0be3b0d1f587a555f396452 Great! Somebody have found it )
"My english isn't well" I know. I'm sorry )

Sergey

by Sergey » Post

texmex wrote:I belive the answer to the topic question is by migrating to modern forum software first and foremost. Other smaller issues may then get resolved. That means admins need to get involved, or nothing will change.
I am convinced forum engine is not important at all. Other things related to the game itself should be done/fixed to increase its popularity.

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

I had a thought on a couple of areas where the forum might be improved.

The overall theme of my thoughts is, "clean up and reorganizing"

** The textures section:
go through and separate actual "texture packs" posts with working links, from general discussions.
using the same method the mods section uses.

*WIP Texture Packs, *Texture Pack Releases *Old Texture Packs *Texture pack discussions
(there are quite a few TPs which no longer have a working link, or are not updated, or even finished.)

** and regarding the mods section. The only thing I see which is problematic is the *ask your modding questions here" post

Would it not be better to have users make individual posts for their questions?
The way it is now, gets confusing... and requires much scrolling, etc.

I imagine this has also created a situation where sometimes a user may ask a question which has already been answered in the past... I think the method I mention will make finding answers easier for users and mods/devs who are helping.
And then, once a mod question is answered and resolved, make the user add [RESOLVED] to their post heading.
Now, if someone may be looking for similar answers, it will be much easier to find.

** The newest "mapgen questions" section would greatly benefit now (early on), if the same method is implemented.
Each individual who has a question, opens a new post..., someone answers, and when the question is resolved, add [RESOLVED] to the post title.

I realise MT is very low on staff to tackle this, because it will be a fairly sizeable job. But it is just a thought I want to put out there.
But, overall this would upscale the communities' experience, as well as make it far easier to navigate for new comers or even just end users looking for specific content.

The ideal situation would be to find an individual who would be willing to take on the task, be dependable, and thorough in the execution. (p.s. I'm not that guy) :P
A Wonderful World

Sergey

by Sergey » Post

TumeniNodes wrote:But, overall this would upscale the communities' experience, as well as make it far easier to navigate for new comers or even just end users looking for specific content.
For newcomers there should be complete and detailed wiki. Forum is more for questions and discussion about them.

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

Sergey wrote:
TumeniNodes wrote:But, overall this would upscale the communities' experience, as well as make it far easier to navigate for new comers or even just end users looking for specific content.
For newcomers there should be complete and detailed wiki. Forum is more for questions and discussion about them.
You might be surprised how many people just browse the forums looking for certain information, yet never post.

Or may browse for a long time before ever posting.

As of right now, some of the sections they may browse, are... simply put..., a mess and confusing.
A Wonderful World

ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

by ABJ » Post

I believe that the "ask your modding questions" thread is for asking as the question comes up. I do not believe that it is meant to preserve the information.

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

ABJ wrote:I believe that the "ask your modding questions" thread is for asking as the question comes up. I do not believe that it is meant to preserve the information.
But preservation of such helpful info is a good thing.
And it would make it much easier to search for answers to your issue, as well as make it easier for mods and devs who like to help to see new questions and interact in a more focused manner... and reduce the amount of time searching for links to the same questions, to post for the one asking.

In a more basic and simple response... "just makes everything more simple and clear for all parties involved."
A Wonderful World

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

Oh, TumeniNodes, how can you scorn the convenience of asking a question the moment it comes to your mind?

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

how is it scorning?
just as quick to open a new post as it is to ask in that extremely long, mangled thread....
and then far easier to follow answers or tips directed toward you're specific question....

then when done, add [RESOLVED] to the header and, the next person looking for the same answers, down the road, can easily look at posts and find it.... It just makes sense.
A Wonderful World

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

Haha :) true but have you taken into account the fact that millions of different questions are possible?

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

yes. and having them all in one thread is insane. :P
A Wonderful World

gamerdadster
GitHub: GamerDadster
In-game: gamerdadster

by gamerdadster » Post

Here are a few of my thoughts and suggestions. But first, let's thanks the creator (celeron55) and early adopters of Minetest for what they've done. It is easy to complain when when something is free, but first think about how you can contribute before you post. Development like this takes time and money. There are several cycles to a product and these are the key ones; what was a PASSION at one time, often turns into a HOBBY, then a CHORE, and lastly a BURDEN. We need to make sure that this game never sees the last two phases.

So here goes, and don't give up:

1) We need to get more buzz, to get new blood involved so that testing, development, documentation, and help is available to the community
2) We need more YouTube, Twitter, Twitch, etc for more exposure to create interest in Minetest
3) Get the documentation and versioning cleaned up.
(As someone quite technical I find it difficult to find information on server builds, compatibility, and availability)
4) Testing versions and mods, this needs to be done, I've found incompatibilities with version 0.4.15 and errors that could be fixed.

What am I doing? Well,
1) I've created my own local wiki to store documentation I'm building to put somewhere out there when it is completed...
2) I've created an Internet accessible production server, and shortly a test server for mods testing.
(The server is IP restricted, so you will need to contact me to get access)
3) Want to help, get involved. Want to help me? Message me, time to move it forward.

If you are a good programmer, learn Lua, do some patching.
GamerDadster
http://www.gamerdadster.com
http://www.gamerdadster.com is my home on the weeb.

Sergey

by Sergey » Post

Wow, we see here newcomer full of enthusiasm. This is good.