Seg Fault on start of new map in Ubuntu Natty with current 0.4.dev

jwlockhart

Seg Fault on start of new map in Ubuntu Natty with current 0.4.dev

by jwlockhart » Post

Well, I ran into this after installing the most recent dev snapshot from ppa.
At the "Updating textures and meshes in item definitions" stage it gives me a SEGMENTATION FAULT.

Probably a setting that I am just missing, however, I have ran various versions on several different computers and not seen this.

Computer is an Acer Aspire One running Ubuntu Natty with most current version off of the ppa repository. After first encountering the error I purged the program, removed all lingering files, and reinstalled fresh, still yielding the same error.

Thanks in advance

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

Why not compile it yourself, instead of using ppa/launchpad? Go to minetest.net, click on GitHub, scroll the page down to the readme.txt and follow the instructions under "Compiling on GNU/Linux:". Just copy the lines and paste them in your terminal (probably you have to type "Sudo" before the 1 paste).

jwlockhart

by jwlockhart » Post

Ideally, that would be the solution, or at least a step in troubleshooting, however, I only installed from ppa because of an issue in pulling in the proper versions the requirements to compile the code, most cases being that the dev versions of the requirements would roll programs back to previous versions. This causes the install of the dev versions to fail due to the depends of the depends cannot be resolved. I have yet to try and compile it against the newer version that I already have (I haven't had time to check the code to see if it builds against the specific version or against any better than that version).

In the mean time, maybe someone has another idea (I may try compiling against the newer libraries tomorrow).

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

I see you have far more knowledge of Linux than I do. It's hard for me to follow even the core of your reply :-/

So rests me only to wish you good luck solving the problem.
Last edited by Topywo on Fri Jun 08, 2012 15:28, edited 1 time in total.

jwlockhart

by jwlockhart » Post

Thanks for the reply Topywo, even if it didn't get me any closer to running the game on this machine.

jwlockhart

by jwlockhart » Post

As a further note, I can run the minetest-delta fork off of the get-deb repo with acceptable framerate, however, any node touching the window edge doesn't render.

celeron55
Administrator
GitHub: celeron55
IRC: celeron55

by celeron55 » Post

Have you ran any versions of Minetest on that computer before?

jwlockhart

by jwlockhart » Post

Yes, I have ran both 0.1 and 0.2 on it at various times. I have not ran 0.3 (rather opting to put it on the desktop). After my earlier posts, I compiled 0.3.1 and it shows the same issues that the minetest-delta fork have. Namely, any block that extends beyond the edge of the screen does not render. Other than that speed is good, there is no lagging or other problems apparent.

I have a few more things that I can try on my end, including updating Ubuntu to the next release (I usually run a bit behind for stability). I am just trying to make sure that I did not miss a setting somewhere.

jwlockhart

by jwlockhart » Post

Well, this seems to be resolved by updating openGL ES libraries and using the burningsvideo option for video driver. Not ideal but playable.

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

What does this have to do with OpenGL ES, and especially, Burning's video?

Also, please, FFS, when reporting bugs:
Use a self-compiled version. Most of the packages for games are just made by inexperienced users, thus leading to bugs and crashes.

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

OpenGL ES is RASPBERRY PI'S OpenGL system, since it runs on ARM, and (most iOS and Android phones) have this as default.

LolManKuba

by LolManKuba » Post

Who even uses Raspberry PI?

jwlockhart

by jwlockhart » Post

As noted above, FPS originally was ZERO, openGL would segfault when rendering mesh, null would fail with a floating point exception, direct3d is not an option with Linux, and software rendering would render (around 15FPS) but would not render any block that was not entirely on the screen.

In the end, it took both adding the openGL ES libraries and Burningsvideo to get everything to render (other rendering options still give their previous errors without the libraries and burningsvideo does not render for me without them).

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

If you use Wine, you can use Direct3D. *trollface*

jwlockhart

by jwlockhart » Post

Using Wine kind of defeats the "running natively" concept.