Most serious bugs (according to you)

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Most serious bugs (according to you)

by Wuzzy » Post

Hi! I want to make a survey. The point of the survey is to learn which bugs are considered to be the most serious and/or annoying bugs according to the community. Maybe, just maybe this helps the developers to set priorities (no guarantees). There are over 100 of reported bugs for Minetest.

Which are the most serious unfixed bugs for you?

I mean bugs which are so serious they either break the game for you or just annoy you like hell. If you wish, you can also post a short reason why you think the bug is serious for you.
Please give a short ranking, where the bug which you want to have fixed comes first.
Please keep it short and link to the full bug reports (preferably on GitHub). Don't report new bugs here, post them on GitHub or the forum first. This is a survey.

Thanks for your time. :-)

Hint: Here's a list of unfixed bugs.

Here is my personal top list of unfixed bugs as of now:
  1. Colorization of wielded item tints it incorrectly, looking ugly (issue 12578)
Old bugs which have been fixed:
Spoiler
These bugs are FIXED:
  1. Sneaking while falling negates all fall damage (Very visible gameplay-breaking bug, over 3 years old!) (issue 329)
  2. You can go through the ceiling by using the sneak glitch (Had “blocker” status) (issue 3045)
  3. Minetest sometimes locks cursor to center of screen even if window is not active (issue 3507)
  4. Player is immortal while attached (issue 4484)
  5. disable_jump does not work correctly when sneaking is disabled (issue 2774)
  6. You can corrupt minetest.conf by setting font_path to nonsense value in advanced settings (Minetest can't be started anymore when this happens) (issue 4095)
  7. Formspec coordinates are very confusing (issue 3872)
  8. Depth sorting is broken (closed after 9 years and 10 months!) (issue 95)
  9. Game banner is hidden for wide windows (Over 5 years old) (issue 2262)
  10. You can't reliably spawn entities (Over 7 years old) (issue 4759)

Edit log of this post:
EDIT 1: Two important bugs have been fixed, I updated my list.
EDIT 2: The cursor locking bug has been fixed!
EDIT 3: Bug added: “Player is immortal while attached”
EDIT 4: Bug added: “You can't reliably spawn entities”
EDIT 5: Bug fixed: Player is immortal while attached
EDIT 6: Bug fixed: disable_jump does not work correctly when sneaking is disabled
EDIT 7: Bug fixed: You can corrupt minetest.conf by setting font_path to nonsense value in advanced settings
EDIT 8: Bug fixed: Confusing formspec coordinates
EDIT 9: Bug fixed: Depth sorting is broken
EDIT 10: Bug fixed: Game banner does not work for wide windows
EDIT 11: Bug fixed: You can't reliably spawn entities, bug added: Colorization of wielded item tints it incorrectly
Last edited by Wuzzy on Wed Feb 14, 2024 08:42, edited 22 times in total.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

Re: Most serious bugs (according to you)

by rubenwardy » Post

One thing that annoys me is that the health bar isn't aligned properly with the hotbar. That's not exactly game breaking. And on the plus side, you can use it to recognise minetest forks, legal or illegal.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

F7 issue. you can see trough blocks.

also depth sorting transparency bug is disturbing
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

Indeed designing some GUI with formspecs is pretty much confusing but I guess it is only so annoying for those actually modding. Players may not notice it or simply not care and still have fun.

The stuff around the sneak function has rather become a characteristic of Minetest for me, some pro-tip that makes gameplay unique just like nyan cats and mese - but I guess if you want a more realistic game that has no minetest signiture stuff included, a way to toggle the behavior should be made possible. Note that I said "toggle" not "fix that bug". It seems that the watermark in the top left corner also annoys some people so I guess the aim seems to be to have game that for most of the time does not give a hint ingame that it is minetest. - oh well -

What really annoys me though is the lighting bug with them sometimes quite large shadows. By now I'm not really sure it is a single bug. Maybe it is a collection of unrelated things that have the same optical effect. As I like to take screenshots this is almost a game-stopper for me.

Your number 3, the false setting that will stop Minetest from starting, is a real game breaker though that should be fixed as fast as possible and maybe lead to similar input checks or better fallback routines elsewhere. Sometimes a buggy mod will also stop minetest from loading a world. Maybe this could also be made more robust like loading the world anyways but printing a messege to screen that some mod has not been loaded.

Something I'm not really sure whether it is gone yet is the mapgen and cavegen griefing. As in when mapgen jumps in long after a region has been created and redecorates the area or that cavegen sometimes happens in the air or after plants had been set.

Most other things I would like for Minetest to have or fix could rather be considerd features I guess.
Things like a general mob api or vehicle api (including carts) or stuff to aid installing mods and games or - but I guess that was not your question.
Last edited by twoelk on Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:16, edited 1 time in total.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

The game recently froze my entire machine to almost a standstill. It took a considerable amount of time to get back to a console to kill it. It may have a connection to running out of disk space (hopefully not hardware problems). That's a serious bug to me. The other points in the list are - like twoelk already said - mostly what makes the game unique.
A list of my mods can be found here.

RHR
GitHub: RHRhino

by RHR » Post

For me visual bugs and bad performance are the biggest problems. Usually I fly around and build stuff, so gameplay bugs like fall damage don't bother me at all. Depth sorting, lighting bugs and lags are very annoying, but I'm afraid that all of them are really difficult to fix.

SegFault22

by SegFault22 » Post

I remember something like this one, for a different "game" called FPS creator:
Wuzzy wrote:6. Minetest sometimes locks cursor to center of screen even if window is not active (issue 3507)
Sometimes when trying to load a level (you create levels and then load/test them), the game would crash for seemingly no reason (only happens occasionally), then the cursor would be stuck in the middle of the screen, and the only way to get it un-stuck is to either restart the machine or go to the task manager (yes, windoze; no I don't still use it), navigate to the process and end it, using only the keyboard navigation.

They never fixed it, even though it is 6 years later (I could not find anything related to the issue anywhere else, so it isn't likely that they even know about it). It may be fixed in some new version (all of the old bug reports got moved to a "classic" section, which usually means there's a new overhauled version and they call the older system "classic"), but if it is fixed, I doubt that is because they deliberately tried to fix it, but rather it would have been fixed "by accident".

Notice how the topic name doesn't really have anything to do with the problem; this hinders its visibility to the developers. A topic named "[Bug] Level doesn't load, Cursor gets stuck, can't do anything!" would probably get much more attention than one just named "game testing problem". If you find a problem that is as devastating as this one, don't just name it something like "cant play game pls help!!!1!one", rather name it something like "[Bug] Black screen, Cannot load anything" or whatever is equivalent to the problem that you are actually experiencing - instead of just stating that you are experiencing a problem.

As for the issues, I believe that all of these issues except for 7 and 8 are genuinely game-breaking, because they cause problems that can't be worked around. I don't like these kinds of issues - especially the lack of depth sorting, which (if I remember correctly) is the cause for a huge framerate drop when there are very many caves/tunnels underground and you look in their general direction, even when you're at the surface and they are all under the dirt-grass/sand/whatever.

EDIT: Actually, FPS creator never got a new version. They stopped working on it, and released it (and lots of the model packs) as open-source. Yay for free software! :D
(in the past, there were only a few free model packs; most of them had some cost to be downloaded from their online "store", but the software itself was free of charge)

echosa

by echosa » Post

Being unable to move after less than a minute of play: https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/4274

Of course, any ticket I've commented on is personally important to me. :-D
https://github.com/minetest/minetest/is ... s%3Aechosa

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

Being unable to drag an item of screen without having his gigantic image in the face.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

azekill_DIABLO wrote:Being unable to drag an item of screen without having his gigantic image in the face.
I don't really understand. Can you explain this? Is this a new bug (=not reported yet)?

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Naj wrote:For me the #1 is not a problem, I like it like that (looks unrealistic but after all, almost everything is unrealistic in mintest).
It is a serious problem because it essentially removes fall damage from the game engine because it can be so easily circumvented, making fall damage almost meaningless. Minetest might as well remove fall damage entirely. This has nothing to do with realism.

For sandbox-style games I agree, this is not really a serious thing as it doesn't matter that much. But for games intended to be challenigng (survival style), game authors probably expect fall damage to work reliably and without glitches.

Yeah, the AZERTY bug looks also pretty bad. But the developers claim it is Irrlicht's fault, not Minetest's.

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

Talking of my bug i think it's new. when an item (only generated cube) goes out of the screen, it goes to max size and covers the whole screen :/

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

i agree Naj.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Please report new bugs on GitHub or as a new thread in these forums.

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

yeah. idk if it's a bug at all. kinda normal then.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

I am happy to announce that two important bugs just got fixed:

1) Sneaking prevents fall damage (Fixed after only 4 years)
2) Possible to glitch through ceiling by sneaking

And a whole bunch of other sneaking woes.

hajo

by hajo » Post

Wuzzy wrote:survey .. Which are the most serious unfixed bugs for you?
.. break the game for you or just annoy you like hell.
* #1: minetest crashes quite often
** when shift-moving stuff in the inventory
** when pasting text into formspecs (or shortly after that)

* #2-most annoying: picking/dropping stuff in the inventory is 'somewhat buggy/laggy',
resulting in the wrong item picked / dropped in the wrong slot.
Most noticable when moving lots of stuff, e.g. when crafting complex recipes (e.g. bed)

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

hajo wrote:
Wuzzy wrote:survey .. Which are the most serious unfixed bugs for you?
.. break the game for you or just annoy you like hell.
* #1: minetest crashes quite often
** when shift-moving stuff in the inventory
** when pasting text into formspecs (or shortly after that)

* #2-most annoying: picking/dropping stuff in the inventory is 'somewhat buggy/laggy',
resulting in the wrong item picked / dropped in the wrong slot.
Most noticable when moving lots of stuff, e.g. when crafting complex recipes (e.g. bed)
actually this never happened to me...

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

azekill_DIABLO wrote:F7 issue. you can see trough blocks.

also depth sorting transparency bug is disturbing
+10 We need to fix these.
Have a nice day! :D

Robsoie

by Robsoie » Post

To me the major bug in minetest that directly go in the way of my world exploring fun is the one i always experience when i explore my world for too much time :
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13585

no setting have helped, even without additional mods, even editing mapgen.lua to have much less dense forest and jungle, etc..
As it does not happen if i quit Minetest after a long while before the crash happen, then reload it to resume exploration, i guess it's probably things accumulating constantly to explosion/crash in memory instead of being cleaned after a while.
Something i never experienced in minecraft long exploration.

echosa

by echosa » Post

Shift not working right in the Mac builds. This is *super* annoying.

- It keeps shift-clicking from working so no quick-moving items from inventory into chests, etc.
- It adds an extra space when typing into the console (example: if I try to type "pick_stone" it ends up "pick _stone" [space before underscore], and I have to arrow back and manually delete the space)

I submitted an issue on GitHub back in September. I helped do a bit of testing and debugging. Nothing since, though. https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/4531

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

Wuzzy wrote: 1) Sneaking prevents fall damage (Fixed after only 4 years)
False. If i fall on the side of a node (easy to do) i don't get damage. And if i sprint fast with sneak it's nearly impossible to get fall damage. I often use that trick in 4.15.

Byakuren
GitHub: raymoo
IRC: Hijiri
In-game: Raymoo + Clownpiece

by Byakuren » Post

azekill_DIABLO wrote:
Wuzzy wrote: 1) Sneaking prevents fall damage (Fixed after only 4 years)
False. If i fall on the side of a node (easy to do) i don't get damage. And if i sprint fast with sneak it's nearly impossible to get fall damage. I often use that trick in 4.15.
It was fixed after 0.4.15, it's not in a stable release yet.
Every time a mod API is left undocumented, a koala dies.

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

ok

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

I just added https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/4484 to my list.

Players are immortal when they are attached (e.g. riding a boat). This is quite bad.