Texture Packs , How to get them to work ?!!!! HELP !! D:

Mootness

Texture Packs , How to get them to work ?!!!! HELP !! D:

by Mootness » Post

Hello!
i have recently just downloaded Minetest and i am having problems getting Texture packs to work.

Im just wondering how on earth do you get texture packs to work?!?? ( i know were to get them from & how to download, its just the part after i need help on!)

I need some one PLEASE to post it in black & white and in simple terms on how to get the texture pack to work !!

As its seems no matter what i try / google nothing seems to work or make a difference :S , i dunno if what i am doing is wrong or if im just a noob.

but i would appreciate it very much is some one can help me to install ( even just one!!) texture pack. As i have a feeling if i keep messing about with the original content i will f****************** up the game D: !

Info on what to do next in simple terms after the texture pack has been download would be a good start!

Thank you :) x

Version i have ; minetest-0.4.dev-20120606

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

Place the extracted textures into /minetest/textures/all

LolManKuba

by LolManKuba » Post

what Jordach said and Jordach

Mootness

by Mootness » Post

Jordach wrote:Place the extracted textures into /minetest/textures/all

So does that mean the actual folder of the texture pack? or copy & paste everything ( like the writing ) into were it says "Textures_here:
If you haven't modified the texture_path setting, you can copy textures of your texture packs into here. Folders are currently not supported.
"
yea...im having a thick day..

Screen shot or something please D: . as i think ive tried what you said before & didnt work :/
Usualy im fine with stuff like this, it just seems to be baffling me to death ¬_¬.

This is what is confusing me the most http://wiki.minetest.com/wiki/Installing_texture_packs , as i said ive tried various ways, and nothing changes :S X

But ty for your time! x

LolManKuba

by LolManKuba » Post

You do not put the zip file into it, this is what to do.

1)Open the zip file or tar.gz?
2) Copy all the .png files and paste into the folder that contains textures_here.txt

Mootness

by Mootness » Post

LolManKuba wrote:You do not put the zip file into it, this is what to do.

1)Open the zip file or tar.gz?
2) Copy all the .png files and paste into the folder that contains textures_here.txt

WOOOOO it worked !!! hahah ty soooo much !! :D
Much love ! <3

LolManKuba

by LolManKuba » Post

Your welcome :)

Mootness

by Mootness » Post

LolManKuba wrote:Your welcome :)

Sorry to be a knob, but for Mods , is it done the same way ? x

sdzen

by sdzen » Post

well other than being a mods folder instead of textures yes i suppose it is

Zen S.D.

The next generation of tranquility!
malheureusement mon français n'est pas bon :<
Owner of the Zelo's
In game name: MuadTralk, spdtainted, sdzen, sd zen, sdzeno

Mootness

by Mootness » Post

LAST Q I PROMISE!!

can you have more than 1 Mod / texture pack in use at once? or do you have to scrap the current one to be-able to use the one you want?
x

LolManKuba

by LolManKuba » Post

um kind've but this is how you do it
1) Go to the mods section, press minetest,
2) Where it says mods_here.txt put any of the mods there but do this.
i)when you open your mod, don't copy the zip file
ii) copy the folder that has the mod name and put it into the mod directory.

LolManKuba

by LolManKuba » Post

You can't have 2 texture packs on at the same time, only 1 sorry
but you can have 2+ mods at the same time

sdzen

by sdzen » Post

well that also runs toward texture packs as well so if one is dont assume the other isnt (my logic when writing my response) and its possible to have more than 1 mod but not more than one texture pack there is no option for switching
Edit:last i checked
Last edited by sdzen on Sat Jun 09, 2012 20:12, edited 1 time in total.

Zen S.D.

The next generation of tranquility!
malheureusement mon français n'est pas bon :<
Owner of the Zelo's
In game name: MuadTralk, spdtainted, sdzen, sd zen, sdzeno

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

There's a quite involved but working way to swap texture packs.
Open minetest.conf using a text editor (ideally Notepad++ on Windows, avoid Windows's notepad), put this at the first line:

Code: Select all

texture_path = ../pack_folder_1
This will search textures in the "pack_folder_1" folder. If you put a # at the beginning of the line like this, the default texture pack will be used:

#texture_path = ../pack_folder_1
Feel free to change the folder name, just keep the "../" there.
Put your texture pack folders in your Minetest installation folder, example structure:

minetest
- bin/
- mods/
- pack_folder_1/
-- default_stone.png
- pack_folder_2/
-- default_stone.png

Mootness

by Mootness » Post

Ty sooooooooo much guys !!! :)

Thought i was going to be failing forever at this game D: x

zzarko

by zzarko » Post

I'm using minetest 0.4.1 on Ubuntu, installed from official PPA. I tried to place new textures in ~/.minetest/textures/all, and I also tried to include full path in config file, but no matter what I do, I always get the default textures (log file says it only loads from /usr/share/minetest, there is no mention of texture_path variable, even with --verbose option). The only texture pack that I could apply was cisoun's, but only by overwriting original files in /usr/share/minetest/ (using root privileges). Is there a way to put textures in ~/.minetest, and not to overwrite original files?

Also, placing mods in ~/.minetest/mods/minetest/ (as said in official documentation) did nothing, I had to place them in ~/.minetest/mods/minimal/ to get them to work (I found about this from log file). Are the location of files changed in 0.4.1?

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

zzarko please do not crosspost. Also, see my answer on the other thread.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

zzarko wrote:I'm using minetest 0.4.1 on Ubuntu, installed from official PPA. I tried to place new textures in ~/.minetest/textures/all, and I also tried to include full path in config file, but no matter what I do, I always get the default textures (log file says it only loads from /usr/share/minetest, there is no mention of texture_path variable, even with --verbose option). The only texture pack that I could apply was cisoun's, but only by overwriting original files in /usr/share/minetest/ (using root privileges). Is there a way to put textures in ~/.minetest, and not to overwrite original files?

Also, placing mods in ~/.minetest/mods/minetest/ (as said in official documentation) did nothing, I had to place them in ~/.minetest/mods/minimal/ to get them to work (I found about this from log file). Are the location of files changed in 0.4.1?
The fact that you have to install your mods in ~/.minetest/mods/minimal/ indicates that you dont use the minetest_game but the minimal development game. Try creating a new World and select "Minetest" and not "Minimal".

zzarko

by zzarko » Post

PilzAdam wrote:The fact that you have to install your mods in ~/.minetest/mods/minimal/ indicates that you dont use the minetest_game but the minimal development game. Try creating a new World and select "Minetest" and not "Minimal".
Hmmm... I don't have any "minetest" game, only "minimal". I installed from Minetest official stable PPA, I didn't use development version. Is there another package for Ubuntu/Debian, or should I maybe compile from source?

Edit: I just realized that getdeb repository (which I'm using) also have minetest as one of their games and it was conflicting with minetest PPA. PilzAdam, thanks for the suggestion. Anyway, now I have minetest game, but I still don't have different textures either if I put them in textures/all, nor if I put full path in texture_path = in config file.

@Vanessa:E sorry, I didn't know that I was "crossposting" (I don't know wat that means, actually). Anyway, I posted here becasue title said how to make texture packs work.

Edit2: OK, some texture packs have image names begging with default_, and only those work, but only if I copy images from their default/textures subdirectory. Should I just ignore all the other files in texture pack archives?
Last edited by zzarko on Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:48, edited 1 time in total.

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

zzarko wrote: Edit2: OK, some texture packs have image names begging with default_, and only those work, but only if I copy images from their default/textures subdirectory. Should I just ignore all the other files in texture pack archives?
All pictures have to be directly in the "all" folder like this:

textures/all/default_dirt.png
textures/all/default_cobble.png

ranta

by ranta » Post

i literally just installed minetest about an hour ago but cant seem to find textures_here.txt i have ubuntu 13.10gonna try to reinstall to see if i bunked it up there and i already unhid my files
Last edited by ranta on Fri Feb 07, 2014 00:31, edited 1 time in total.

hoodedice
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

ranta wrote:i literally just installed minetest about an hour ago but cant seem to find textures_here.txt i have ubuntu 13.10gonna try to reinstall to see if i bunked it up there and i already unhid my files
No worries if there's no texture_here file. Just make sure it's the texture folder within the .minetest directory and paste the entire folder as is within the texture folder.
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

ranta

by ranta » Post

hoodedice wrote:
ranta wrote:i literally just installed minetest about an hour ago but cant seem to find textures_here.txt i have ubuntu 13.10gonna try to reinstall to see if i bunked it up there and i already unhid my files
No worries if there's no texture_here file. Just make sure it's the texture folder within the .minetest directory and paste the entire folder as is within the texture folder.
and where would that be when i open the .minetest folder i see world,cache,client,debug.txt and minetset.confg when i open cache theres a media folder and a tmp folder. client just has server lists and and world just has a world 1 folder i really do have no clue what im doing i just recently switched to ubuntu as my main os still learning the ins and outs of the os
Last edited by ranta on Sat Feb 08, 2014 01:26, edited 1 time in total.

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

For me the directory looks like this:

/home/topywo/minetest-minetest-767b2e7/textures

could also be something like:

/home/ranta/minetest/textures

If you don't find a directory like this:
- What version of minetest did you install (0.3.1 - 0.4.9)?
- Did you install it for you as local user (like I do) or system wide?

ranta

by ranta » Post

Topywo wrote:For me the directory looks like this:

/home/topywo/minetest-minetest-767b2e7/textures

could also be something like:

/home/ranta/minetest/textures

If you don't find a directory like this:
- What version of minetest did you install (0.3.1 - 0.4.9)?
- Did you install it for you as local user (like I do) or system wide?

4.9 i think and i just downloaded it from the main site and ran the .deb file so i dont know where i installed it