[Mod] Technic [0.4.16-dev] [technic]

Cage

Re: [Mod] Technic [0.4.11] [technic]

by Cage » Post

Oops brain fart LOL. Thanks for letting me know.

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

After some recent commits to Technic to improve things, if you get crashes when moving stuff in chests, please update your copy of minetest_game to commit 37dd9107 or later, and your copy of Minetest engine to a suitable build also.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

The release version should totally be compatible with current MT release. For dev stuff there should be a dev branch.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

This mod doesn't target stable Minetest releases, and really never has. However, if you need something that works on 0.4.15, I'd guess just clone the Technic repository and roll back to commit d3f40e0f or perhaps a little earlier. If you can't use git, then this ZIP (which points to that commit) might do the trick, though I can't guarantee it.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

Jesseman1
In-game: Jesseman1 or Plant_Operator

by Jesseman1 » Post

I updated Technic, then I updated Minetest, but the power cables still appear as solid blocks, are they supposed to look like that?

VanessaE

Re: [Mod] Technic [0.4.16-dev] [technic]

by VanessaE » Post

Your minetest is still out of date - you need a development build.

Jesseman1

by Jesseman1 » Post

how do I get a development build?

PS. Where can I find an up-to-date recipe list?

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

get one of sfan5's builds, https://minetest.kitsunemimi.pw/builds/

As for an up-to-date recipe list, I can only suggest you use a craft guide like that included in Unified Inventory.

Jesseman1

by Jesseman1 » Post

Thanks

Jesseman1

by Jesseman1 » Post

It doesn't seem to be working; I replaced all the old files with the new ones, but when I boot up the game, it says it's still version 0.4.13

EDIT: Did I put the file in the wrong place? Where exactly am I supposed to extract the files, and do I need to delete any old ones?

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

It's impossible for me to know what you did wrong, but you just extract the archive wherever you want, and make a point of going there to run the game.

You don't have to delete old versions, as long as you are 100% sure that you won't mix them up (that includes mixing up portable builds with a system-installed build, as can happen on Linux).

Jesseman1

by Jesseman1 » Post

Ok, the Minetest that I play was downloaded from the Ubuntu Software Center and has an autorun icon, but only goes up to 0.4.13. The current version from sfan5's builds does not have an autorun icon, so I don't know how to play it... Help please?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the executable file.

dawgdoc
GitHub: dawgdoc

by dawgdoc » Post

Jesseman1 wrote:Ok, the Minetest that I play was downloaded from the Ubuntu Software Center and has an autorun icon, but only goes up to 0.4.13. The current version from sfan5's builds does not have an autorun icon, so I don't know how to play it... Help please?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the executable file.
I believe I saw you post that you are running Ubuntu, but I don't recall if you are using Xenial or Zesty.
Ahh, it must be Xenial if the software center has MT 0.4.13. You can get 0.4.15 stable by installing from the PPA I saw linked in another thread. Instructions for installing can be found on that page.

If, as Vanessa mentioned, you want to run a dev version on Ubuntu you have a choice. You either compile it yourself. Instructions are in the Ubuntu forum. OR, you could run the sfan5 within Wine/PlayOnLinux.

BTW, I am using MT 0.4.15 from that PPA I linked above on LinuxMint 18.1, which is based on Ubuntu Xenial.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Give a kid a fish, it's going to die.

dawgdoc
GitHub: dawgdoc

by dawgdoc » Post

VanessaE wrote:Sfan5's builds are for Windows.

For Ubuntu, use the daily builds PPA instead: https://launchpad.net/~minetestdevs/+ar ... ily-builds
Thanks, for adding about the daily builds. I do recall seeing that link posted on another thread (you also ?). That should be easier for Jesseman1 than compiling from source. And probably much better than running a Windows version under Wine.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Give a kid a fish, it's going to die.

ABJ
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

by ABJ » Post

Wait, how were you able to change the thread title?

Desour
GitHub: Desour
IRC: Desour
In-game: DS
Location: I'm scared that if this is too exact, I will be unable to use my keyboard.

by Desour » Post

ABJ wrote:Wait, how were you able to change the thread title?
Last edited by VanessaE/VanessaE on Sat, 25.03.2017 22:10, edited 10 times in total.
Reason: Update version.
With the color you can see, that VanessaE is a global moderator.
he/him; Codeberg; GitHub; ContentDB; public personal TODO list; "DS" is preferred (but often too short)

MihalyK
IRC: Voronwe

by MihalyK » Post

Not sure wherethe correct place to pos this is, please excuse me if I have the wrong forum...

I am using the latest minetest 0.4.15, with the following mods:
Pipeworks, Technic, Mesecons MoreMesecons, and mobs - i tried mobs redo but no mobs appear and that is a different problem. I use compassgps, and was also trying out the new AImobs, but that doesn't work so I switched it off, and run a v6 world with JUST Technic, (and of course the required pipeworks, mesecons, moreores. Something else as well?

Anyway, I was constantly frustrated by the fact that several of the recipes appeared not to work until I worked out the difference between what I was trying and what the recipe actually /said/.

Fine, but I have come across a couple that are not-quite game-stopping:

In my setup, at least, there is no such thing as an LV Furnace - it can't be made for love nor money. there is no recipe shown, although the item itself does appear in the recipe for an MV Furnace (note, the LV Alloy Furnace is craftable, but the recipe that appears in the web page for technic doesn't result in an LV Furnace in my particular world, and the recipe isn't shown in the crafting guide) - in the end I just used creative mode to grab some LV furnaces and could craft MV furnaces from then on, but I'm sure that this shouldn't be neccesary.

Sand can only be compressed to sandstone, the 4-block recipe won't craft sandstone (either plain or desert)

There are a couple of other issues, but maybe this isn't the forum for that...

If I am missing something obvious, I'd appreciate the help, and if I have been of help to others still I thank those who put the effort in to make these great mods.

Oh yeah I can't seem to get Technic (The GAME) to run, it complains during the startup - if I can I'll post the error message up here, but am just curious about this first..

regards,
Mihaly

ABJ
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

by ABJ » Post

This is the correct forum for all technic issues. In fact, this is the topic.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

I don't know what the cause is of your problem for sure, but technic doesn't run on Minetest 0.4.15, and technic_game is long since abandoned - just don't use it.

Get a development build of Minetest newer than perhaps 1 month (or build it from sources), and build up a new game/world/etc using the regular Technic mod(pack) repository.

Also, LV furnaces can be made, but it takes several steps:
  • Start by getting some cobble, clay, iron, copper, zinc, and papyrus, plus coal or another fuel.
  • Make paper from the papyrus.
  • Use some of that cobble to make a regular, ordinary furnace.
  • Use that furnace to cook the clay into bricks, and make brick blocks from those.
  • Use that furnace to cook your iron, copper, and zinc into ingots. Note that Technic renames the steel ingots to "wrought iron ingot", but they are still the same thing.
  • Use that furnace again to turn some of the steel/wrought iron ingots into cast iron ingots.
  • Use 8 brick blocks to make a fuel-fired alloy furnace.
  • Use the alloy furnace to make brass from copper and zinc ingots.
  • Use eight cast iron ingots and one brass ingot (in the center) to make a machine casing.
  • Use copper ingots (three across the middle row) and paper (three across each of the top and bottom rows) to make LV cabling.
  • Finally, use 7 cobble, one LV cable (bottom middle), and one machine casing (center) to make a LV furnace.

CarBarr

by CarBarr » Post

Hello, download the latest version of this mod (commit fc2f6d8) but it gives me error after a ~7 seconds of running the game
It only happens when trying to play with a world that had the previous version.
Minetest in commit 6f641df
And minetest_game in commit 9821681

Code: Select all

2017-04-13 16:59:22: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: ServerThread::run Lua: Runtime error from mod 'technic' in callback LuaABM::trigger(): ...ds/technic/technic/machines/register/battery_box.lua:78: attempt to index upvalue 'fs_helpers' (a nil value)
2017-04-13 16:59:22: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2017-04-13 16:59:22: ERROR[Main]: 	...ds/technic/technic/machines/register/battery_box.lua:78: in function 'add_on_off_buttons'
2017-04-13 16:59:22: ERROR[Main]: 	...ds/technic/technic/machines/register/battery_box.lua:198: in function 'technic_run'
2017-04-13 16:59:22: ERROR[Main]: 	.../mods/technic/technic/machines/switching_station.lua:279: in function 'run_nodes'
2017-04-13 16:59:22: ERROR[Main]: 	.../mods/technic/technic/machines/switching_station.lua:286: in function <.../mods/technic/technic/machines/switching_station.lua:228>
I am compiling minetest with cmake . -DRUN_IN_PLACE=TRUE -DENABLE_LEVELDB=1 && make -j 4
what am I doing wrong?

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

That "upvalue" is provided by Pipeworks - are you sure your copy of that is up-to-date?

CarBarr

by CarBarr » Post

Thanks, corrected the problem, I did not realize that dependency with pipeworks

Vince
GitHub: vaggrippino
IRC: Vince
In-game: Vince

Hydro LV Generator changes since Feb 2017

by Vince » Post

I have been having a hard time with the Hydro LV Generator. I couldn't get it to output any power.

I was sure that when I first started playing Minetest I had figured out how to get 100% output from a Hydro Generator.

Here's what it says in the manual:
The hydro generator is an LV power generator that generates a small amount of power from the natural motion of water. To operate, the generator must be horizontally adjacent to water. It doesn't matter whether the water consists of source blocks or flowing blocks. Having water adjacent on more than one side, up to the full four, increases the generator's output. The water itself is unaffected by the generator.
Well, the manual hasn't been updated and I found out why I've been having trouble by looking through the code and the commit history. The way it works was changed in February 2017. Now, the water must be flowing water, not water source.

This does make logical sense. A real life hydroelectrical generator requires fast-moving water something like a waterfall, but it also breaks the experience a little bit.

There's still something I don't understand. In the code it looks to me like it only checks water on its sides (x and z position), but having flowing water on all four sides doesn't bring it up to 100%. Having flowing water two nodes deep on all four sides does bring it up to 100%.

So, with this information, here's the setup that worked for me:

Code: Select all

a: air, c: cable, s: water source, f: flowing water, g: Hydro Generator, x: stone / cobble
|aacaa|
|sfgfs|
|xfffx|
-------
Screenshot taken on VanessaE's Survival Server:

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Documentation is fixed now. :-)

The reason you needed water flowing two nodes deep is because the turbine reads the flowing water's param2 value, which just happens to be similar to the flow volume of the water (it's close enough to be useful, anyway). The engine gives small param2 values to water that's flowing horizontally, and the largest values to water that's flowing straight down.

barsik
GitHub: bvs23bkv33
In-game: barsik

Re: Hydro LV Generator changes since Feb 2017

by barsik » Post

Vince wrote: This does make logical sense. A real life hydroelectrical generator requires fast-moving water something like a waterfall, but it also breaks the experience a little bit.
no
this doesn't
at first, hydro generator worked as tidal powerplant
now, if you want to measure generated electricity by water flow like in powerplants that stand on rivers/waterfalls you need to count meters water fallen before it "hit the fan"(c) of hydro generator, implement rivers in minetest etc.